Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

I don't care; you'll stay until the end of your contract

Read 3012 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,500 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      I don't care; you'll stay until the end of your contract
      Oct 26, 2014 10:28:32 am
      Barca took Suarez and Masch, Madrid took Alonso and Arbeloa (who arguably would still be our first choice fullback today). The Chavs took Torres (who was failing but still). Seems to me that aside from one or three dodgy transfer dealings, other teams are to blame for a lot of our inability to get to the very top. Soon as we get there or thereabouts; the vultures come in and nick our best players. This is Liverpool FC!

Let's say a player has good (optimal) 10 years in him - more or less. Age 17, 18, 19, still developing. Age 31, 32, 33 etc, you have to change your style of play because perhaps you don't have the acceleration or the stamina you once had.

Let's say you buy Luis Suarez 21 years of age from Ajax. He's 24 now but you managed to get him to sign a 2 year extension to his contract when he was 22, meaning he's yours until 25 years of age. Barca/Madrid come sniffing so you sell for £75m. Suarez/Torres/Alonso/Masch have gone.

Is it better to say "No sorry, you stay here until the end of your contract and then can go for nothing if needs be". Sure he's going for a freebie, but you still have him in your team for 2 to 3 more years. Klopp did it with Lewandoski and the nearly won the ECL.

But what if the player doesn't want to play for you? For me, unless you really are a super brat, you will want to play 'football'. You won't be happy playing golf all day or just picking up a paycheck for 3 years (Tevez being the exception not the rule). Besides, if the player clearly isn't carrying out his side of the contract, just stop his wages

There's too much power in the players' hands

Should we start saying 'No. You're staying until the last day of your contract'.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: I don't care; you'll stay until the end of your contract
      Reply #1: Oct 26, 2014 10:41:29 am
      Imagine it

Reina
      Arbeloa  Skrtel  Lovren  Moreno
                       Mascherano
                 Alonso       Coutinho
                            Sterling
                    Suarez    Sturridge

This team would walk the league.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2: Oct 26, 2014 10:47:25 am
      Barca took Suarez and Masch, Madrid took Alonso and Arbeloa (who arguably would still be our first choice fullback today). The Chavs took Torres (who was failing but still). Seems to me that aside from one or three dodgy transfer dealings, other teams are to blame for a lot of our inability to get to the very top. Soon as we get there or thereabouts; the vultures come in and nick our best players. This is Liverpool FC!

Let's say a player has good (optimal) 10 years in him - more or less. Age 17, 18, 19, still developing. Age 31, 32, 33 etc, you have to change your style of play because perhaps you don't have the acceleration or the stamina you once had.

Let's say you buy Luis Suarez 21 years of age from Ajax. He's 24 now but you managed to get him to sign a 2 year extension to his contract when he was 22, meaning he's yours until 25 years of age. Barca/Madrid come sniffing so you sell for £75m. Suarez/Torres/Alonso/Masch have gone.

Is it better to say "No sorry, you stay here until the end of your contract and then can go for nothing if needs be". Sure he's going for a freebie, but you still have him in your team for 2 to 3 more years. Klopp did it with Lewandoski and the nearly won the ECL.

But what if the player doesn't want to play for you? For me, unless you really are a super brat, you will want to play 'football'. You won't be happy playing golf all day or just picking up a paycheck for 3 years (Tevez being the exception not the rule). Besides, if the player clearly isn't carrying out his side of the contract, just stop his wages

There's too much power in the players' hands

Should we start saying 'No. You're staying until the last day of your contract'.

Depends on the nature of the situation. Will that player then become disruptive toward the dressing room. In the case of Luis Suarez, who knows what was said to him when he signed his contract extension in January. Seems a deal in principle was already made with Barca, so maybe that's why he extended his contract.

Alonso and Masch were here in a pretty ugly era. It was always going to be difficult to keep hold of them. Same for Nando. But going back to Suarez, we didn't have to sell him. We were on the up, whereas with the others we were already taking a tumble.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #3: Oct 26, 2014 10:52:35 am
      Don't we just do the same to other clubs though?

Suarez from Ajax for example.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Oct 26, 2014 10:56:19 am
      It's no different to us or any other team though is it? We took Torres from Atletico and Suarez from Ajax, they were both the main players there so although we are a bigger team than them, their fans will no doubt have felt the same way and that we we're stealing their prize assets. I do agree though, players have too much power, it seems that as soon as they want to leave all they have to do is hand in a transfer request / say they are unhappy and the club will sell. Personally, I'd make them stay because unless they have a release clause that is met then the club are in full control and well within their right to reject every offer and it's what we should do for our best players. But on the flip side you do risk having a player not giving it his all and having a negative impact on the team, I.e. Tevez.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Oct 26, 2014 11:00:56 am
      Success is what keeps hold of players, you didn't see many of the Mancs wanting to leave with the exception of Ronaldo (who's dream was to play for Madrid) and Rooney (who only wanted a big fat pay day) when they were winning the league consistently.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Oct 26, 2014 11:10:57 am
      Success is what keeps hold of players, you didn't see many of the Mancs wanting to leave with the exception of Ronaldo (who's dream was to play for Madrid) and Rooney (who only wanted a big fat pay day) when they were winning the league consistently.

This.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #7: Oct 26, 2014 11:24:08 am

Ultimately, financial success is a bigger incentive than winning silverware. Of course the two tie in together, but in order to play for us, you have to sacrifice your wages and hope to all the great Gods out there that your time being here is well worth the while.

Playing for LFC nowadays is a huge gamble. There is little logic in playing for Liverpool, unless you are some big fish in a small pond looking to take that next step up in your career. As much as people may say Lallana made the wrong move, at the end of the day he's playing for a bigger club which will bring him more recognition from sponsors, he's earning a significant amount more than he was at Southampton, and Liverpool have better sustainability. Even if Southampton win the FA cup and liverpool win sweet FA, Adam Lallana is still better off here. Sanchez, Costa, Reus etc woukd be better off elsewhere however.

Only way we can keep players are to assure them that they'll have a more prosperous career with us than anyone else, and if that means offering them £250k per week then so be it.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Oct 26, 2014 01:15:16 pm
      Win the league once and we will manage to attract and keep our best players. We were so close. Spain giants will always lure them away with sun and sand.

Would of made Suarez stay until we replaced him though. Its the biggest mistake we have made.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #9: Oct 26, 2014 01:18:26 pm
      Spain giants will always lure them away with sun and sand.

Not to mention the tax breaks!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,500 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #10: Oct 26, 2014 01:36:50 pm
      Spain giants will always lure them away with sun and sand.
      This for me too is the biggest issue we have

You think Kompany would stay put in Manchester if Barca/Madrid came knocking? No chance. If the money was right he'd be off

Perhaps we really do need a team of Carraghers, Gerrards and Fowlers

....................Carr a...................
      Carra......Carra........ .Carra......Carra
      Gerrard...Gerrard...Gerr ard...Gerrard
      .............Fowler..... .Fowler

Says a lot for home grown players
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Oct 26, 2014 01:39:34 pm

You think Kompany would stay put in Manchester if Barca/Madrid came knocking? No chance. If the money was right he'd be off

Perhaps we really do need a team of Carraghers

I am sure that people remember Wimbledon FC. What they lacked in class they made up in spirit imagine a team that had both.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #12: Oct 26, 2014 01:48:49 pm
      Think £ and resolve are the 2 keys
      Silva and Aguero were players we were linked with to varying degrees before the signed for Citeh. Dyou think they'd still be with us now if they had?
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Oct 26, 2014 01:49:14 pm

Perhaps we really do need a team of Carraghers, Gerrards and Fowlers

....................Carr a...................
      Carra......Carra........ .Carra......Carra
      Gerrard...Gerrard...Gerr ard...Gerrard
      .............Fowler..... .Fowler

Says a lot for home grown players

To be fair, in this day and age you cant really blame the player if he is a) improving his wage and b) playing at what is currently a bigger club. They only make money until their early 30s so to keep them in that lavish lifestyle for the rest of their days they do need a lot of money.

Bless em! Ha
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Oct 26, 2014 02:58:07 pm
      Int old days  ....

Come to Anfield and have fish and chips with the Boss.
      Sign Contract.
      Start training with the Reserves.
      Clean first team boots.
      Play Saturdays at Scarborough , Accrington ,Boston   .... all those glamorous places.

If after a couple of months you may ...just may ....get a run out with the first team.

Thats how we treated the Superstars we bought.

Egos ?  Werent allowed if you joined LFC 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: Oct 26, 2014 03:01:30 pm
      Int old days  ....

Come to Anfield and have fish and chips with the Boss.
      Sign Contract.
      Start training with the Reserves.
      Clean first team boots.
      Play Saturdays at Scarborough , Accrington ,Boston   .... all those glamorous places.

If after a couple of months you may ...just may ....get a run out with the first team.

Thats how we treated the Superstars we bought.

Egos ?  Werent allowed if you joined LFC 

but we had the best man available to cast his eye over a player Bob Paisley. Not many duds bought when bob was around
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Oct 26, 2014 03:03:37 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Oct 26, 2014 03:04:18 pm
      but we had the best man available to cast his eye over a player Bob Paisley. Not many duds bought when bob was around

and before him Shanks , Walton.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Oct 26, 2014 07:12:35 pm
      and before him Shanks , Walton.

St John and Yeats for starters.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Oct 26, 2014 07:18:07 pm
      St John and Yeats for starters.

I was born on the day of Shankly's first home game a Star shone bright above the house where Lived.
      But seriously what did Shanks do start building from the back. Get that right and work from there it seems a decent way of building a dynasty
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #20: Oct 26, 2014 07:22:31 pm
      I was born on the day of Shankly's first home game a Star shone bright above the house where Lived.
      But seriously what did Shanks do start building from the back. Get that right and work from there it seems a decent way of building a dynasty

In all fairness though Walton we went through a couple of keepers before Shanks hit the jackpot with Tommy Lawrence.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Oct 26, 2014 07:29:14 pm
      In all fairness though Walton we went through a couple of keepers before Shanks hit the jackpot with Tommy Lawrence.

Slater,Molyneux,Moran,Wheeler,White,Campbell,Morris,Hunt,Melia,A'Court,Hickson.
      theres a few for you to remember Billy.Dont think the lad Hunt amounted to much ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22: Oct 26, 2014 10:41:05 pm

Ah Billy.

Tommy Lawrence   the Flying Pig.

First game I ever watched live at Anfield as a kid he was between the sticks.

Quick Reply