Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Raheem Sterling Problem

Read 5271 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      The Raheem Sterling Problem
      Oct 29, 2014 11:46:46 pm
      Two and a half years ago (or there abouts) Brendan Rodgers became Liverpool manager. And almost instantly he threw a boy named Raheem Sterling into his starting XI. The 17 year old kid started four of Brendan's first five Premiership games in charge of Liverpool - including games against both Manchester clubs and Arsenal.

This is the same kid who up to that point had terrorised sides in his own age group for the Liverpool youth teams but only had about half an hour of first team football under his belt. It didn't phase him though, in fact it looked like he relished in the pressure. So much so that at 17 years of age, we became so heavily reliant on him. There was not only the pressure of performing at the top level at such an early age, there was also the pressure of carrying the weight of the club on his shoulders - along with Luis Suarez.

And like all youngsters do when they break into the team, his form dwindle slightly. People wanted him taken out of the team, out of the spotlight and let him rediscover some confidence and form with the reserves or the U-18s. Unfortunately though we, as a club, couldn't afford to do that. At 17 years of age, Sterling had become so important to us we couldn't afford to give him the break he needed. Now a lot of it was to do with how good he was, a lot of it was also to do with the complete lack of alternatives we had to replace him with. Downing, Assaidi, Borini and Suso are hardly what you'd call suitable replacements.

Then, Raheem's personal life started to get more attention. I suppose it's part of the deal you sign up for when you become famous, your personal life becomes the public's knowledge. And usually where the media are concerned, as long as it sounds good or reads well then they don't care if it's a load of nonsense they're spouting. From having eight kids to three different birds to accusations of domestic violence to adultery to whatever. Raheem was accused of the lot.

Maybe those accusations helped Brendan make the decision to finally get Sterling out of the team. Maybe the January transfer window of 2013 helped just as much though. Finally we had a couple of suitable replacements. Danny Sturridge and Phil Coutinho joined us and both hit the ground running. From the first Premier League game Sturridge started for us (5-0 against Norwich on the 19th January), Sterling didn't start another Premier League game. He was allowed to get away from the media spotlight, somewhat. And from the end of March onwards, he was taken out of it completely.

Last season saw us gradually reintroduce Sterling into the team. From starting four of the first five Premier League games the previous campaign, he started just one (against newly promoted Crystal Palace) of our first twelve games for the 2013-14 season. What a contrast. His off the field antics had all but been squashed by this stage.

But we didn't really miss Sterling during the opening quarter to half of the season. Mainly because we had other people able to carry the burden of the club for him now. We weren't resting our entire hopes upon a teenage kid. We weren't expecting John Barnes level performances from him week in week out. We weren't forced to practically burn the lad out. Instead we could bring him on in games if and when we wanted. We could allow him to progress the way a youngster should as opposed to being expected to be the star of the team from day one. And as the season went on, as the partnership of Suarez and Sturridge continued to blossom and receive the praise it deserved, Sterling was able to enjoy his football without that pressure.

His form showed it as well. He became just as important to the team as Suarez, Sturridge, Henderson or Gerrard but wasn't feeling the burden of pressure because he knew he had at least four other players alongside him who could get Liverpool out of any difficult position. He wasn't the one all eyes turned to for inspiration any more, he was one of many. For any player that helps but especially for a boy who had only just recently, officially, become a man.

And then the 2014-15 season happened and we're back at square one of putting all our hopes on the shoulders of Raheem Sterling. Suarez left, Sturridge has hardly kicked a ball in vein and the players we brought in during the summer have hardly set pulses racing for the right reasons. But during the early weeks where we looked a little disjointed, Sterling was the bright spark. He was the one carrying us.

But still, he's a teenager and teenagers will have dips in form. They will need to be taken out of the firing line occasionally. You can't expect a teenage kid to carry an entire side. Only a truly world class player can do that and no nineteen year old is world class. But just like 12/13, there isn't a suitable replacement for Sterling. We have to play him. Markovic, Lallana, Borini, Suso do not give me a great deal of confidence. Coutinho, until recently, has been out sorts completely.

Sturridge's injury and the lack of goals from our forwards adds extra pressure onto Sterling's shoulders. He's almost become our biggest creative threat and our biggest goalscoring threat. I think he's even believing that he has to do it himself at present. Too often he's trying to take on more than he can, simply because the lack of quality around him is apparent.

I state again, that sort of pressure should not be on the shoulders of a nineteen year old kid.

Unfortunately though this is the problem we currently face. We can't afford to give him any time away because without him we're a lot worse off and it's blindingly noticeable that he's not there. His importance for the national team has grown so much as well that even then he can't get a couple of weeks off just to recharge the batteries.

Without him, we've no hope at present. With him, we risk relying too heavily on one too young. That is the Raheem Sterling problem.

The solution is we have better players around him to lighten the burden. But we can't do that for another eight weeks at least.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Problem
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2014 12:05:11 am
      As long as his teammates don't burden him with the expectation is all I care about. We did it last season without Suarez when every man and his f**king dog said that we'd struggle as a team to cope without him - and proved that opinion wrong. The same can be said for this Sterling "problem".

When it appears that we rely or burden a player with expectations, it's very pertinent to always remember that football is a team game.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2: Oct 30, 2014 12:44:31 am
      Isn't it the perfect problem to have, for him too, because he stands out with his pace, strength (even if he's not massive), movement and his touch. his touch is all that needed to improve... it is.

In other words, he could have been given the odd game here and there but his progress surely wouldn't be where it's at now.

I don't think anyone wants to use him like he's the saviour of the team and he's the only one who can save us every game, he's one of the players we know has that spark of creativity so hopefully more players will be like that both this season and any new signings.

He will get rested, if someone's ready to play to a high level then use them whenever you can.

When Sterling is playing I don't expect him to deliver us the result on his own but I know he's consistent in his attitude/work rate and will create chances so it's exactly what you want to see in players.

The point may have went over my head sorry OP. The pressure on his shoulders is why it's a problem? Good players usually have the ego to want to reach high levels and be rated internationally... amongst their peers.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #3: Oct 30, 2014 04:52:49 am
      we just need to cool our jets with Raheem and stop being so worried. if he starts the next game people are mad. if he doesn't people wonder how we'll win without him. it is this fan pressure that gets to the players the most. your perception of the team and who is important to it means a whole lot more then you probably realise. if you don't want "all our hopes resting on one teenager" - then get around our other lads!! back them as hard as you back Raheem and watch them pay you back. as our new signings grow into the team and settle into Liverpool men they will take some of the 'burden' away and I am confident that will happen this season.

"without him we've no hope'' - but he didn't play against Swansea, neither did our Captain, but the team we sent out grew together over the 90, controlled large portions of the game and even managed to nick the result. we should worry less and support more - we might see something good unfolding in front of us if we watch closely enough..
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Oct 31, 2014 03:10:20 am

The solution is we have better players around him to lighten the burden. But we can't do that for another eight weeks at least.

Shouldnt have to do that.
      That should have happened in the summer.

If we are not careful we will end up with another Owen style burn out case.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2014 10:08:08 am
      The title to this thread is all wrong, sterling is not a problem, he is brilliant.

Could go down as Rafa's best buy IMO.

People reading way to much into all the BS. related to that daft tired story, the lad is maturing wonderfully into our star player, along with studger.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 01:17:35 pm by brezipool, Reason: poor typing. »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2014 10:27:25 am

Don't see that happening, the Owen stuff is just media inspired hindsight bullshit.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7: Oct 31, 2014 10:36:23 am
      At the age of 20, Alexander the Great ascended to the throne of Macedon and set about conquering the Persian Empire. That's pressure. If our Raheem can handle half that then he can set about conquering the Premier League Empire. Like Alexander before him, all he needs is a few good men around him and the [Footballing] world's his (and our) Oyster ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #8: Oct 31, 2014 11:47:22 am
      I can't see any problems with Raheem.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #9: Oct 31, 2014 05:34:04 pm
      I can't see any problems with Raheem.

Nice problem to have I think, I Wouldn't mind STILL having the Suarez problem but that's another issue !
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 31, 2014 05:46:12 pm
      I don't remember a period where either Messi or Ronaldo have been rested, and they've had a decade of being the figurehead of their sides. Rather than buckling under the weight of expectancy, they've thrived on it.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2014 06:01:07 pm
      I don't remember a period where either Messi or Ronaldo have been rested, and they've had a decade of being the figurehead of their sides. Rather than buckling under the weight of expectancy, they've thrived on it.

Messi played far less games than Sterling did the season after turning 17 and 18.  Ronaldo did play about the same.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Nov 01, 2014 06:44:50 am
      I still recall Houllier resting Stevie Gerrard as he was frightened of Stevie suffering from burn out and the extra loads on his body at a young age. the squads we have these days  there should be no need for a young player to suffer burn out. Having said that how the hell did Bill Shankly  go through a full season with only 14 players.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #13: Nov 02, 2014 12:18:29 pm

Yes mate we should of done it in the summer. A hundred mill plus spent and we still have all our hopes pinned on Sterling. That is an embarrassment.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2014 02:53:37 pm
      I personally am starting to think that Sterlings dip in form isn't due to pressure, it think he has shown he can cope with that, I think its down to the fact that last year he was a defense's third priority behind Luis and Danny. With them on the field it opened up things for Raheem and he was able to take advantage of it. Now Raheem garners all the attention and he also doesn't have the luxury of Danny and Luis carving out chances for him, so he's going to have to up his game and work even harder and play even smarter to meet the levels he met in the past.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #15: Nov 05, 2014 02:58:06 pm
      I personally am starting to think that Sterlings dip in form isn't due to pressure, it think he has shown he can cope with that, I think its down to the fact that last year he was a defense's third priority behind Luis and Danny. With them on the field it opened up things for Raheem and he was able to take advantage of it. Now Raheem garners all the attention and he also doesn't have the luxury of Danny and Luis carving out chances for him, so he's going to have to up his game and work even harder and play even smarter to meet the levels he met in the past.

I also think it is about space too mate. When you have fast strikers like Sturridge it pushes the defence back creating more space for the players behind the strikers Sterling or Coutinho, hopefully once Sturridge is back Sterling will get a little more space, a little less attention and will shine again.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #16: Nov 05, 2014 10:54:46 pm
      I don't think it was any reliance on Sturridge and Suarez - he proved at the start of the season with some MOTM performances he could carry us well.

But it is time to give him a rest - ever since that first international break, he's been out of sorts.

Perhaps give Markovic a chance? He showed some signs of life against Madrid and, given a chance, could deputise well for us.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2014 11:02:30 pm
      his problem is he is 19 but he has been placed with the responsibility of a 29 year old with 500 games under his belt. Maybe with better players around him he might shine a bit more
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2014 11:17:00 pm
      Maybe with better players around him he might shine a bit more

Exactly the point I was making, with better players around him he DID shine.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #19: Nov 08, 2014 03:55:01 pm
      He's a very lucky boy because what he did today absolutely ridiculous

Fancy smashing into Ramirez' forearm with his face like that! Could have injured the chav
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Nov 08, 2014 07:52:11 pm
      He's a very lucky boy because what he did today absolutely ridiculous

Fancy smashing into Ramirez' forearm with his face like that! Could have injured the chav

Suarez would have gotten slated beyond belief if he performed a forearm to the face.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #21: Nov 09, 2014 12:54:51 pm
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #22: Nov 09, 2014 06:04:12 pm

I'd say that's pretty accurate tbh, similar to James and Di Maria.  Don't forget that if he stays it'll get extended and improved in a couple of years.

Quick Reply