Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...

Read 7133 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Oct 31, 2014 08:29:37 am
      really interesting interview with Stevie here, definitely worth a read.  Looks like we haven't offered him a contract yet and he'd consider going somewhere else after the end of the season.  Emphasis mine on some of the more interesting parts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/steven-gerrard/11199303/Steven-Gerrard-interview-Mario-Balotelli-can-still-turn-it-around-at-Liverpool-following-stuttering-start.html

Steven Gerrard interview: Mario Balotelli can still turn it around at Liverpool following stuttering start
      Ten years ago, Steven Gerrard gave one of his most candid interviews admitting he may have no choice but to leave Liverpool.

The following May he lifted the European Cup, still wondering if his club truly wanted to keep him and whether it was right for him to stay – bewildered by the lack of a contract offer.

They love their anniversaries at Anfield, but the contemporary re-enactment of this particular episode in Gerrard’s career is unexpected.

Amid the background of Istanbul reunion plans at the end of this season, Gerrard again finds himself contemplating if this will be his last in a Liverpool shirt.

“I won’t be retiring this summer,” he says. “I will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if that’s at Liverpool or somewhere else. That’s Liverpool’s decision.”

If this is to be Gerrard’s last season at Liverpool it has a familiar ‘transitional’ vibe to it. When Liverpool finished second in 2002 and 2009, key players departed and the appeals for time began. Were the lesson learnt in 2014?

“When Luis Suárez left I knew it would be like that,” says Gerrard. “When you come close [to the title] it is important you keep your main players. It’s not just about those coming in, it’s about what got you there.

“You need to keep that together and add to it. When you are taking big chunks of it away and adding five or six into it, it’s not going to happen overnight.

“I would love a Fabregas or Costa here, but I have to understand how the owners want to do it and accept I am a Liverpool player, not a Chelsea or Manchester City player. They [Fenway Sports Group] have gone on record saying they want to bring exciting young talent into the club. You can’t just expect that to click overnight.

“I’m not looking for excuses but there are collective reasons for our stuttering start. We lost a key player; we’ve had a key player injured; we’ve had a huge setback through just falling short last season; other Premier League sides have improved. Chelsea have gone and got their missing pieces of the jigsaw, City get stronger every year because of the funds. That’s why we’re not sitting top of league with everything rosy.

“We are not in a position like City or Chelsea where the manager notices they are a little bit short and just goes bang, bang, two new signings.

"Maybe it’s slightly different this year where we had more available because of the money from Luis, but as you see at Tottenham if you make five signings there are a lot of changes.

“If Luis was here we probably would have won some of the games where we have slipped up. Also, if we had Daniel Sturridge fit. If you lose a player in Luis’s form and a player of Daniel’s potential, it is going to be up and down until you either get Sturridge back or Luis’s replacement starts firing some goals in.”

Ah, that replacement. The Mario Balotelli question arrives. Gerrard is reminded of his friend Jamie Carragher’s view that Balotelli will not last more than a season on Merseyside.

â€œIt’s a bit early for shouts like that. He could score 10 in 10 now. What then? You still sell him in January?” Gerrard said. “I understand Jamie’s opinion. He is on TV and has to give opinions. Mario’s scored two in 12 games and when you play for Liverpool you are going to get judged harshly compared to Luis and Daniel, but Mario has the ability to turn it around. Then it will be interesting to see everyone’s opinion. People won’t be saying he is a panic buy then.

“He needs time to score the goals and prove to be people he is worthy of staying here. I am not going judge him after 10 games. I have to help and support him. To come in after Suárez is tough. A big ask.

“To be a main striker at Liverpool you have to expect the pressure and the responsibility and embrace it. Our fans expect us to win every game. To be top drawer you have to be quick and aggressive but above everything else you have to score regularly. Look at the ones I have played with – Fowler, Owen, Suárez, and Torres – consistent with goals. That’s what made them superstars.

“Being a No 9 weighs heavy, but so does the No 8. So do most of the numbers here. We have a huge following. The pressure is on us to perform every single game, we’re on TV every three days. You can’t hide.

“You have to accept and embrace it and enjoy the pressure and the fact you are being judged. That’s what I have learnt to do since I was 19. Perform consistently or people will be critical. With social media and the way the general media has gone there is so much criticism and opinion out there that if the No 9 weighed heavy 10 years ago it weighs even heavier now.

“I don’t think you have sympathy for Mario. He’s a big lad. He’s played for big clubs and has had the responsibility before. He’s not feeling sorry for himself. He is working hard, doing extra shooting sessions and doing everything he can to make it work. I’ve been impressed the way he goes about his work. You can understand where all the attention comes from and he enjoys it.

“It seems he likes the attention, likes being the main man up front. He loves the social media and loves talking to supporters. If he wants that at Liverpool you have to score goals. He will know that. And if he didn’t know it coming in then he will know it now.”

If Balotelli has much to prove, the frustration for Gerrard is Sturridge has been unable to build on his form.

“Brendan built his team around Luis and Sturridge,” Gerrard said. “He’d never played the diamond before, so it was a big compliment to Luis and Daniel he changed the whole team set-up to get the best from them.

“Ability wise, Daniel is possibly the No 1 English striker I’ve played with. When you talk about speed, sharpness and skill and different types of goals he could go as far as he wants to. Who in this country is better?

“Wayne Rooney is different, between a nine and 10 for me, but Wayne is 30, Daniel is 25. Some of the things he does in training blow me away. I knew he was good but I saw what he could do last year. He needs to hit high numbers season after season. His goal-to-game record is scary. Last year he was in Luis’s shadow. Now it’s for Daniel to be Liverpool’s iconic No 9 – the main striker – for many years.

“Brendan said he needs to repeat games. That is any player, not just Daniel. I have experienced the frustration of picking up niggles and missing big games. It is not just frustrating for him, but all of us – players, fans and staff – because we need him back as soon as possible.”

Wherever Gerrard plays he is reminded of last season’s near miss by opposition fans. The slip against Chelsea was celebrated beyond Stamford Bridge.

“I’ve had stick since day one and the reason is I’ve been a decent footballer and they see me as a threat to their team,” he says. “It’s gamesmanship. I would have to be very naive or insecure to feel sorry for myself, saying it’s not fair because I gave service to England and don’t deserve it. Liverpool fans give some opposition players absolute hell when they come to Anfield, but they only go for the best players out there, so I presume it’s the same when I’m getting pelted.

“Do I hear it? Of course I hear it. Does it affect me? No, it drives me on to perform better.”

Mourinho revelled in stopping the Liverpool title charge, suggesting his players were meant to be ‘clowns’ on that fateful day at Anfield.

“I’m a big fan of his. I understand and respect he loves winning and will do anything to get the win,” Gerrard said. “People say he tactically outclassed us and outwitted us – maybe he did in parts of the game – but they came to destroy the game and break it up, to stop us blowing them away. His tactic was to slow us down and spoil – stop us getting into a rhythm. He’d seen what we could do, and put men behind the ball, his biggest, most powerful team to disrupt us. It worked for them so credit where it is due. It hit me hard and I know it hit the supporters hard.”

Gerrard knows there may never be another chance to complete the medal collection with the trophy he craves. Not at Liverpool, anyway. If they don’t want him and act before he becomes a free agent in the next two months, it will be noted by plenty of others with title aspirations.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 02:09:24 pm by JD »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #1: Oct 31, 2014 08:43:02 am
      Simple solution for me would be to offer Gerrard a 3 year deal with the last two years linked to being a coach as well.... that and buying Fabregas :)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #2: Oct 31, 2014 08:46:19 am
      Simple solution for me would be to offer Gerrard a 3 year deal with the last two years linked to being a coach as well.... that and buying Fabregas :)

How many people in here completely slated the mere thought of going after Fabregas, I couldn't quite believe it meself. Mind you we all slated the idea of bringing in Et'o yet 4 goals in 7 games for the bitters and Martinez banging on about what a great role model i'm wishing we had got him in after all.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,414 posts | 3408 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Oct 31, 2014 09:16:21 am
      How many people in here completely slated the mere thought of going after Fabregas, I couldn't quite believe it meself. Mind you we all slated the idea of bringing in Et'o yet 4 goals in 7 games for the bitters and Martinez banging on about what a great role model i'm wishing we had got him in after all.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #4: Oct 31, 2014 10:02:33 am
      It would make no sense for Brendan to play Stevie in virtually every game this season and then not want him next season.

Although I do feel sometimes Brendan isn't fully prepared as to what to so when Gerrard isn't around anymore.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2014 10:23:26 am
      It would make no sense for Brendan to play Stevie in virtually every game this season and then not want him next season.

Although I do feel sometimes Brendan isn't fully prepared as to what to so when Gerrard isn't around anymore.

I agree mate. I think it is something we should be planning for already.

I think the present squad has probably the least number of genuine top quality players I can remember. While I think the team is the star, top class players are the game changers, the ones that step up when needed.     

Over the last few years we have lost a number of genuine top class players through age, ambition or frustration, I am not sure any of them have been adequately replaced in the present squad. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake with Gerrard, we need someone who can not only measure up to what Gerrard is NOW, BUT also to what Gerrard once was.... a truly World Class player. 
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2014 10:35:20 am

How do you replace Gerrard..? Honestly I don't think you can - not only for the on the field but the off the field presence he has.

If he doesn't get another 3 years and go on to be on the bench in a managerial capacity I would be amazed. Surley that has to be the logical step - but if his contract ends in May then I would expect some of these MLS teams to be looking now at getting him in... We could lose him very easily and that would be a massive issue for next season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Oct 31, 2014 10:57:04 am
      As long as he's a footballer he should be playing at Liverpool.

Whether he is 34, 44 or 104.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #8: Oct 31, 2014 11:10:13 am
      Would have loved to have Fabregas here as well. Personally felt he would have been the ideal replacement for Stevie in midfield especially Stevie isn't the same player he used to be.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #9: Oct 31, 2014 11:26:36 am
      I think its obvious stevie is gutted chelsea got costa and fabregas.

I was gutted when carra left the club. I never saw him going to sky. I always saw him going on the backroom team ... a beacon of knowledge and experience in the dressing room and a vocal one at that. In time i saw him going to assistant manager and beyond.

Id hate it if all Gerrards experience, knowledge and respect walked out of this club in the summer and took it all somewhere else. There should always be a place at this club for who i believe is our greatest ever player.

Hopefully one day there will be a place for carra. I wish he was working with our defence on a daily basis.

Hyypia was another who was allowed to leave. At the time i think he wanted a player/coach contract though i could be wrong.

Hope Stevie stays on !!
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Oct 31, 2014 11:39:13 am

I still wouldnt want Et'o. He can score a few but we are building a team and hes a p*x.

Could be the easy out for him to let him leave alright. Dont see it happening. This is his last season as a starting player, after this he will still have a great impact coming off the bench, whether that be for us or someone else.

If he does leave, I hope its not for a top 4 team. Couldnt handle seeing it. If he went to Chelsea and they won the league.... Its not right.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 12:22:21 pm by Pagekarl »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2014 01:08:41 pm
      what odds would you get on Stevie playing in the MLS next season?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #12: Oct 31, 2014 01:25:12 pm
      what odds would you get on Stevie playing in the MLS next season?

That would be very odd.
      To be cynical time is on the club's side with regard to SG and there isn't any panic, given the pendant the club seem to have for bringing players past their first flash of brilliance into the fold ie Lambert amongst others, our man is already in situ and we are comfortable with his performance levels.
      See no reason he will not be offered a contract compatible with his status and potential in a coaching role.   
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2818 
      Reply #13: Oct 31, 2014 01:26:45 pm
      Would be absolutely mental if we let him leave next summer.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #14: Oct 31, 2014 01:59:04 pm
      That would be very odd.
      To be cynical time is on the club's side with regard to SG and there isn't any panic, given the pendant the club seem to have for bringing players past their first flash of brilliance into the fold ie Lambert amongst others, our man is already in situ and we are comfortable with his performance levels.
      See no reason he will not be offered a contract compatible with his status and potential in a coaching role.   

I couldn't see him moving abroad given the ages of his daughters mate. Am sure the club will be in with a contract offer at the turn of the year, I would be surprised if they didn't. I think he will play 2 more seasons (after this one) at LFC myself.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Steven Gerrard: As frustrated as every reds.
      Reply #15: Oct 31, 2014 02:02:15 pm
      I think this requires a thread for itself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/is-steven-gerrard-about-to-leave-liverpool-30706838.html

“I won’t be retiring this summer,” he says.

“I will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if that’s at Liverpool or somewhere else. That’s Liverpool’s decision.”

If this is to be Gerrard’s last season at Liverpool it has a familiar ‘transitional’ vibe to it. When Liverpool finished second in 2002 and 2009, key players departed and the appeals for time began. Were the lessons learnt in 2014?

“When Luis Suárez left I knew it would be like that,” says Gerrard. “When you come close [to the title] it is important you keep your main players. It’s not just about those coming in, it’s about what got you there.

“You need to keep that together and add to it. When you are taking big chunks of it away and adding five or six into it, it’s not going to happen overnight.

“I would love a Fabregas or Costa here, but I have to understand how the owners want to do it and accept I am a Liverpool player, not a Chelsea or Manchester City player. They [Fenway Sports Group] have gone on record saying they want to bring exciting young talent into the club. You can’t just expect that to click overnight.

“I’m not looking for excuses but there are collective reasons for our stuttering start. We lost a key player; we’ve had a key player injured; we’ve had a huge setback through just falling short last season; other Premier League sides have improved. Chelsea have gone and got their missing pieces of the jigsaw, City get stronger every year because of the funds. That’s why we’re not sitting top of the league with everything rosy.

“We are not in a position like City or Chelsea where the manager notices they are a little bit short and just goes bang, bang, two new signings.

“Maybe it’s slightly different this year where we had more available because of the money from Luis, but as you see at Tottenham, if you make five signings there are a lot of changes.

“If Luis was here we probably would have won some of the games where we have slipped up. Also, if we had Daniel Sturridge fit. If you lose a player in Luis’s form and a player of Daniel’s potential, it is going to be up and down until you either get Sturridge back or Luis’s replacement starts firing some goals in.”

Ah, that replacement. The Mario Balotelli question arrives. Gerrard is reminded of his friend Jamie Carragher’s view that Balotelli will not last more than a season on Merseyside.

“It’s a bit early for shouts like that. He could score 10 in 10 now. What then? You still sell him in January?” Gerrard said. “I understand Jamie’s opinion. He is on TV and has to give opinions. Mario’s scored two in 12 games and when you play for Liverpool you are going to get judged harshly compared to Luis and Daniel, but Mario has the ability to turn it around. Then it will be interesting to see everyone’s opinion. People won’t be saying he is a panic buy then.

“He needs time to score the goals and prove to people he is worthy of staying here. I am not going judge him after 10 games. I have to help and support him. To come in after Suárez is tough. A big ask.

“To be a main striker at Liverpool you have to expect the pressure and the responsibility and embrace it. Our fans expect us to win every game. To be top drawer you have to be quick and aggressive but above everything else you have to score regularly. Look at the ones I have played with – Fowler, Owen, Suárez, and Torres – consistent with goals. That’s what made them superstars.

“Being a No9 weighs heavy, but so does the No8. So do most of the numbers here. We have a huge following. The pressure is on us to perform every single game, we’re on TV every three days. You can’t hide. You have to accept and embrace it and enjoy the pressure and the fact you are being judged.

That’s what I have learnt to do since I was 19. Perform consistently or people will be critical. With social media and the way the general media has gone there is so much criticism and opinion out there that if the No9 weighed heavy 10 years ago it weighs even heavier now.

“I don’t think you have sympathy for Mario. He’s a big lad. He’s played for big clubs and has had the responsibility before. He’s not feeling sorry for himself. He is working hard, doing extra shooting sessions and doing everything he can to make it work. I’ve been impressed the way he goes about his work. You can understand where all the attention comes from and he enjoys it.

“It seems he likes the attention, likes being the main man up front. He loves the social media and loves talking to supporters. If he wants that at Liverpool you have to score goals. He will know that. And if he didn’t know it coming in then he will know it now.”

If Balotelli has much to prove, the frustration for Gerrard is that Sturridge has been unable to build on his form.

“Brendan built his team around Luis and Sturridge,” Gerrard said. “He’d never played the diamond before, so it was a big compliment to Luis and Daniel he changed the whole team set-up to get the best from them.

“Ability-wise, Daniel is possibly the No1 English striker I’ve played with. When you talk about speed, sharpness and skill and different types of goals he could go as far as he wants to. Who in this country is better?

“Wayne Rooney is different, between a nine and 10 for me, but Wayne is 30, Daniel is 25. Some of the things he does in training blow me away. I knew he was good but I saw what he could do last year. He needs to hit high numbers season after season. His goal-to-game record is scary. Last year he was in Luis’s shadow. Now it’s for Daniel to be Liverpool’s iconic No9 – the main striker – for many years.

“Brendan said he needs to repeat games. That is any player, not just Daniel. I have experienced the frustration of picking up niggles and missing big games. It is not just frustrating for him, but all of us – players, fans and staff – because we need him back as soon as possible.”

Wherever Gerrard plays he is reminded of last season’s near miss by opposition fans. The slip against Chelsea was celebrated beyond Stamford Bridge.

“I’ve had stick since day one and the reason is I’ve been a decent footballer and they see me as a threat to their team,” he says.

“It’s gamesmanship. I would have to be very naive or insecure to feel sorry for myself, saying it’s not fair because I gave service to England and don’t deserve it. Liverpool fans give some opposition players absolute hell when they come to Anfield, but they only go for the best players out there, so I presume it’s the same when I’m getting pelted."

“Do I hear it? Of course I hear it. Does it affect me? No, it drives me on to perform better.”

Jose Mourinho revelled in stopping the Liverpool title charge, suggesting his players were meant to be “clowns” on that fateful day at Anfield.

“I’m a big fan of his. I understand and respect he loves winning and will do anything to get the win,” Gerrard said. “People say he tactically outclassed us and outwitted us – maybe he did in parts of the game – but they came to destroy the game and break it up, to stop us blowing them away.

His tactic was to slow us down and spoil – stop us getting into a rhythm. He’d seen what we could do, and put men behind the ball, his biggest, most powerful team to disrupt us. It worked for them so credit where it is due. It hit me hard and I know it hit the supporters hard.”

Gerrard knows there may never be another chance to complete the medal collection with the trophy he craves. Not at Liverpool, anyway. If they do not want him and do not act before he becomes a free agent in the next two months, it will be noted by plenty of others with title aspirations.

Great interview. It would be terrible if FSG lets SG to become a free agent. More over he is still a great player if managed well.
      The general tone sounded like the players and probable the manager are not happy with the owner's policy of buying youngsters.

And if Gerrard become a free agent and joins some where like City or Chelsea and wins the title with them, would you guys be happy for him?

PS: Now that Gerrard voiced against FSG, would RAWK ban Gerrard?  ;D
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 02:07:14 pm by JD »
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: Steven Gerrard: As frustrated as every reds.
      Reply #16: Oct 31, 2014 02:15:21 pm
      How could it even get to this point? He is a one man club. F**k it. HE IS LIVERPOOL! He needs to retire at Liverpool. Needs to be shown the respect by the club that he deserves. He could have left when he was one of the best players in the world. Now FSG need to end this ridiculous speculation once and for all.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #17: Oct 31, 2014 02:16:26 pm
      Interesting interview.  Don't think we've learned anything we didn't know. 

Personally I think he's already spotted a big payday in the MLS or abroad for a couple of years so I think whether or not we offer him a new contract is by the by.

Couldn't see him moving to another Premier League club. 

My concern is what midfielder we are going to bring in to replace him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18: Oct 31, 2014 02:20:17 pm

Personally I think he's already spotted a big payday in the MLS or abroad for a couple of years so I think whether or not we offer him a new contract is by the by.

I have a feeling that BR see's Can as taking over the role rather than replacing him.
      Replacing Gerrard is next to impossible.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2014 02:31:32 pm

Don't personally see why things have to be associated with a bigger payday elsewhere. FFS, he's already a multi-millionaire. I'm positive he would take a pay cut just to remain at Liverpool, although it would be insulting to offer him less after everything he's done. Yeah, he's no longer at the top of his game. That's what happens. But as already stated, I'm sure in his own mind he wanted to be at Liverpool post playing.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 05:52:42 pm by MarkMitt »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2014 02:34:43 pm

Couldn't see him moving to another Premier League club

Could do a fat  Frank ;) move to MLS & come back on loan.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2014 02:50:15 pm
      Think the club would be bonkers to let him leave on a free.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2014 02:55:48 pm
      Could do a fat  Frank ;) move to MLS & come back on loan.

Sorting my lunch in the local corner shop this morning, the owner, who knows I'm a Liverpool fan said he heard some rumours that he'll take part in the Indian Premier League next year, didn't believe him though.

Quick Reply