Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...

Read 7130 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #23: Oct 31, 2014 03:03:53 pm
      Interesting interview.  Don't think we've learned anything we didn't know. 

Personally I think he's already spotted a big payday in the MLS or abroad for a couple of years so I think whether or not we offer him a new contract is by the by.

Couldn't see him moving to another Premier League club. 

My concern is what midfielder we are going to bring in to replace him.

I don't think so mate, he says “I will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if that’s at Liverpool or somewhere else. That’s Liverpool’s decision.”

I think Liverpool (FSG) may decide not to offer him a new contract as maybe they think he is no longer worth the £100k+ wages but if he gets a decent offer I think he will stay.

Like you say I think the main concern is who do we bring in to replace him.... some young prospect, or do we bite the bullet and bring in an established top class midfield player and leader.

Obviously we can't bring in someone exactly like Gerrard as he was so versatile we would need 5 or 6 players to really replace him, but maybe we can bring in someone who is as good (or almost) in one area.

I hope he stays, becomes a player/coach and one day Manager ... maybe as manager he can win the one thing he always wanted to win as a player. 
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #24: Oct 31, 2014 03:10:19 pm
      Sorting my lunch in the local corner shop this morning, the owner, who knows I'm a Liverpool fan said he heard some rumours that he'll take part in the Indian Premier League next year, didn't believe him though.
      I would love that tbf  :D. Just to see him playing live.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #25: Oct 31, 2014 03:11:54 pm
      Like you say I think the main concern is who do we bring in to replace him.... some young prospect, or do we bite the bullet and bring in an established top class midfield player and leader.

Should have moved heaven and earth to sign Paul Pogba in the summer. That would have been your Stevie G replacement and long-term heir right there
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Oct 31, 2014 03:18:20 pm
      I think a good Premiership winning team needs 2/3 top top players and we lost Luis and Daniel is injured and although Stevie is coming to an end he did indeed still have a massive influence on the games and the team.
      If he goes we will be a team without focal point and without any real stars what then.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #27: Oct 31, 2014 03:22:46 pm
      Stevie doesn't lay it on particularly heavily, but  its fairly clear to see what he's saying:-

1) Selling Luis and recruiting loads of kids/3rd tier players wasn't going to work.

2)So much for FFP. We still aren't gonna match the "big teams" (big in terms of ambition, not history or number of fans).

3)Fenway made it clear, they only really wanna buy kids, and cheaper players.
      (Stevie doesn't say, but lets face it, its purely for potential profit on resale).

4)Maybe it also says that he won't accept a pisstake offer on a new deal.

My own observation is that if we sell Stevie, I don't think we'll have even a SINGLE highly experienced player on the bks. I expect Johnson gone soon. Sturridge isn't THAT experienced, nor is Lovren or Lallana or Henderson. Whoever thinks the remnants can lead a charge for major silverware without ANY experience must be deluding themselves.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #28: Oct 31, 2014 03:25:33 pm
      It would be catastrophic if he does not sign a new deal. Absolute fact.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Oct 31, 2014 03:33:57 pm
      I remember him as a kid looking as if he had just come from a street game in Huyton. It will be a massive day when he does leave because he has been the heartbeat of this team almost since he first played he was that good. This club has always been identified by the local lads that had played for the club who will replace him and who will drive us on when all seems lost
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #30: Oct 31, 2014 04:00:03 pm
      To see him anywhere else now would be gutting and not what this club stands for

If memory serves, didn't Shanks say you sell a player so his legs go on the next manager?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #31: Oct 31, 2014 04:17:31 pm
      I don't have to agree though .

Steven for me should retire here

You be happy to let him go mate, I'm just saying I wouldn't

I didn't say that, I'm just saying it isn't against the clubs values.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #32: Oct 31, 2014 04:24:26 pm
      I couldn't see him moving abroad given the ages of his daughters mate. Am sure the club will be in with a contract offer at the turn of the year, I would be surprised if they didn't. I think he will play 2 more seasons (after this one) at LFC myself.

The rumours about Reus gain more substance by the day.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-move-marco-reus-after-4533250

It would be good to see the manager allowed the luxury of a pre-emptive signing unlike the Suarez debacle.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #33: Oct 31, 2014 04:31:55 pm

I didn't say that, I'm just saying it isn't against the clubs values.

It's very much in line with the clubs values, historically.
      No sentiment at all from Shanks or Paisley. Or Fagan for that matter.

People forget things like Shanks ignoring injured players and turfing out those he thought could no longer cut it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Oct 31, 2014 04:35:47 pm

People forget things like Shanks ignoring injured players and turfing out those he thought could no longer cut it.

I will say it is much harder for fans not to feel sentimental though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #35: Oct 31, 2014 04:37:52 pm
      I don't have to agree though .

Steven for me should retire here

You be happy to let him go mate, I'm just saying I wouldn't

You know as we all do SG will not let anything detrimental to his performance affect LFC Jon.
      If he feels he is not able to serve the club to the best of his ability he will put his hand up.
      When that day comes there is no logical reason he should not be given a roll on the coaching side of things and eventually step into management in some capacity.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Oct 31, 2014 04:38:36 pm

True for most.
      I tend to switch off once they leave.
      Remember the good times and the great things players did, but that's it.
      I can honestly say I haven't given Suarez a second thought since he left for instance.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #37: Oct 31, 2014 04:39:49 pm

You're right however I don't get sentimental about players historically.. Steven should be different though

In terms of the club though and how we have acted historically, I'd love the club to still act in the same manner, but we don't under modern ownership's

It's not relevant for any of us to use it with the modern day club I guess
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #38: Oct 31, 2014 04:43:26 pm
      You're right however I don't get sentimental about players historically.. Steven should be different though

In terms of the club though and how we have acted historically, I'd love the club to still act in the same manner, but we don't under modern ownership's

Maybe because you've kind of grown up with him as he progressed mate?
      Just thinking of your excellent thread about your first season, and Gerrard came along not long after.

aul arses like me didn't have the same kind of media saturation, so maybe it's easier because of that.
      or maybe I'm just a heartless f**ker ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #39: Oct 31, 2014 04:43:56 pm
      True for most.
      I tend to switch off once they leave.
      Remember the good times and the great things players did, but that's it.
      I can honestly say I haven't given Suarez a second thought since he left for instance.

Bit of a difference there, mate. Suarez was only with us three years, Stevie's been with us for sixteen. Club captain, true legend. Suarez was just a great player, I wouldn't consider him a club legend. He wasn't with us long enough.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40: Oct 31, 2014 04:48:51 pm
      Bit of a difference there, mate. Suarez was only with us three years, Stevie's been with us for sixteen. Club captain, true legend. Suarez was just a great player, I wouldn't consider him a club legend. He wasn't with us long enough.

It was an example more than anything.
      I remember some great players leaving, and it never really affected me.
      It's not that I don't respect what they've done, I just have a habit of looking forwards, not back.
      Always been the same way.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #41: Oct 31, 2014 04:52:14 pm
      We all know he will be here next year. Might be a case of him being offered a 1 year deal but he wants more.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #42: Oct 31, 2014 04:57:42 pm
      It was an example more than anything.
      I remember some great players leaving, and it never really affected me.
      It's not that I don't respect what they've done, I just have a habit of looking forwards, not back.
      Always been the same way.

Then looking forward, who comes close to him in leadership qualities? Henderson may have been made VC but he's no where near Stevie in terms of leadership. Plus Henderson is only just getting his act together after a very difficult start to his Liverpool career and I don't think one or two good seasons makes him Captain material. From a purely pragmatic perspective, the club would be a lot worse off where Stevie to leave now. Three years could make a big difference to us, especially if Henderson's level of development continues. He'd have a lot more experience and would likely have more games as Captain under his belt as Stevie was phased out.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #43: Oct 31, 2014 04:58:52 pm
      Maybe because you've kind of grown up with him as he progressed mate?
      Just thinking of your excellent thread about your first season, and Gerrard came along not long after.

aul arses like me didn't have the same kind of media saturation, so maybe it's easier because of that.
      or maybe I'm just a heartless f**ker ;)

It wasn't my first season mate, first season I remember was 84-85
      It was just a random season not my first at all

I'm more sentimental over Steven perhaps because he has earnt it, he could have gone and won things elsewhere but he stayed with his club, our club, it was easier to stay here when we won everything but Stevie had given his career to us in less successful times.

What this club means to us means the same to him.. I've never battered an eyelid at Suarez leaving or Torres or whoever and if Steven left I'd get on with it but I personally think he should retire here as Carra did..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #44: Oct 31, 2014 05:00:47 pm

Shankly, Paisley and Fagan did indeed have little sentiment where the best interests of LFC were concerned, by the same token all of them would recognise the wisdom of not using an inflexible doctrine when a player's better days were behind him and the club could reap the benefit of their experience and wisdom. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #45: Oct 31, 2014 05:02:22 pm
      If the skipper does leave next season he will leave behind a void that will take a generation to fill, I think Rafa was the only one looking at addressing life without Gerrard in the team wether he was sold or retired.

Priority has to be a striker but just as or more importantly looking for a heir to Gerrard in Midfield.

Quick Reply