Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...

Read 7084 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #46: Oct 31, 2014 05:10:55 pm
      If memory serves, didn't Shanks say you sell a player so his legs go on the next manager?
      Sir Bob actually, But n ever a truer word.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #47: Oct 31, 2014 05:13:43 pm
      r more importantly looking for a heir to Gerrard in Midfield.

Think Brendan has Henderson earmarked for that role.    Hmmmm, food for thought.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #48: Oct 31, 2014 05:16:58 pm
      The rumours about Reus gain more substance by the day.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-move-marco-reus-after-4533250

It would be good to see the manager allowed the luxury of a pre-emptive signing unlike the Suarez debacle.

It's that F***ing Metro story again.  :roll:
      It is getting some news space tho', the Echo which is not known for it's bullshitting and now the Mirror have run it.
      There may be some meat on this one.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 05:35:22 pm by stuey »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #49: Oct 31, 2014 05:21:53 pm
      Then looking forward, who comes close to him in leadership qualities? Henderson may have been made VC but he's no where near Stevie in terms of leadership. Plus Henderson is only just getting his act together after a very difficult start to his Liverpool career and I don't think one or two good seasons makes him Captain material. From a purely pragmatic perspective, the club would be a lot worse off where Stevie to leave now. Three years could make a big difference to us, especially if Henderson's level of development continues. He'd have a lot more experience and would likely have more games as Captain under his belt as Stevie was phased out.

I'm not sure I agree about leadership qualities. For me he's not a true leader, except by example.
      That's not a criticism, he's kind of an introvert as he admits himself, so he's done well in a role that isn't natural to him, and has overcome his own nature to an extent.
      A true leader is someone like Martin Jonhson, a different sport, but the skills are transferable.
      I think it's something some people are born with and others aren't.

We don't know what will happen in the next few years, but I'd really like to see one of the local lads come through and grow to become our on field leader.

It wasn't my first season mate, first season I remember was 84-85
      It was just a random season not my first at all

I'm more sentimental over Steven perhaps because he has earnt it, he could have gone and won things elsewhere but he stayed with his club, our club, it was easier to stay here when we won everything but Stevie had given his career to us in less successful times.

What this club means to us means the same to him.. I've never battered an eyelid at Suarez leaving or Torres or whoever and if Steven left I'd get on with it but I personally think he should retire here as Carra did..

Fair enough mate, I must have misread, or my memory is worse than I thought  :D

I think I'd like the same thing, for him to retire here, but if he was offered big money to play in MLS, I wouldn't begrudge it.
      No doubt he's right up there with the best players we've had, and maybe he's laying the groundwork for announcing his retirement.
      Only he really knows how much he has left, and I think injuries have taken their toll on him so it might be a question of him knowing that he hasn't got much left.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #50: Oct 31, 2014 05:23:03 pm
      Think Brendan has Henderson earmarked for that role.    Hmmmm, food for thought.

Probably Can I would have thought.

Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #51: Oct 31, 2014 05:25:27 pm
      Gerrard would last 2 more years in Serie A. He'd be perfect for Inter Milan.

Of course it would be a disgrace if Liverpool allowed him to leave. He should end his career at Anfield as an important player in the squad, but not a regular in the team from next season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #52: Oct 31, 2014 05:47:58 pm

Agree.

Of course it would be a disgrace if Liverpool allowed him to leave

Disagree. 

I've already said I think he should have another year but we need to take off our rose-tinted spectacles and remember that we are not talking about Gerrard 2004-2010 here.  Those days are gone.  They're not coming back. 

It wouldn't be a disgrace if LFC didn't feel they could offer him the money he might get elsewhere - especially when they may have to pay the wages of a player to take his place.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #53: Oct 31, 2014 05:53:09 pm
      There are numerous issues:-

1)Gerrard is the ONLY leader we have left.
      2)He's also the ONLY player we have with a top level history.
      3)He thinks Fenway are cu*ts, altho he does say it in a roundabout way
      - wonder what he would've done if Fenway were here, if he'd been in his mid 20s today.
      4)The only bit that goes against all this, is that it does make sense for older players to finish their careers in Italy or somewhere.. IF the transfer fee outweighed the loss of the player's attributes.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #54: Oct 31, 2014 05:55:54 pm

Of course it would be a disgrace if Liverpool allowed him to leave. He should end his career at Anfield as an important player in the squad, but not a regular in the team from next season.

It's debateable whether a Serie A side would take him on knowing his better days are gone and he would have to be used sparingly.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Steven Gerrard: As frustrated as every reds.
      Reply #55: Oct 31, 2014 05:56:12 pm
      I think this requires a thread for itself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/is-steven-gerrard-about-to-leave-liverpool-30706838.html

Great interview. It would be terrible if FSG lets SG to become a free agent. More over he is still a great player if managed well.
      The general tone sounded like the players and probable the manager are not happy with the owner's policy of buying youngsters.

And if Gerrard become a free agent and joins some where like City or Chelsea and wins the title with them, would you guys be happy for him?

PS: Now that Gerrard voiced against FSG, would RAWK ban Gerrard?  ;D

I'm sure Dawk.com IS now part of the apparatus of FSG and its media machine. Have you actually read some of their drivel these days? Makes me vomit.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #56: Oct 31, 2014 05:56:44 pm
      Understandable that sentiment is swaying judgement on this one.

My opinion is that he should stay on as a coach, the same way that Carra should have but if he feels the need to go elsewhere to get first team minutes then that's fair enough.

He should not get in the first team on anything other than merit, I don't believe he would want to damage the team at the expense of being sentimental. I'd love him to retire here but if he feels he wants to go playing first team football longer than we can afford to offer him then it's time to listen to your heads over your hearts.

There should of course be an open offer to come back whenever he wants to coach with the club and he should go on to be an ambassador for us but hurting our prospects for the sake of sentiment is absolutely stupid.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #57: Oct 31, 2014 06:01:51 pm
      I'm not sure I agree about leadership qualities. For me he's not a true leader, except by example.
      That's not a criticism, he's kind of an introvert as he admits himself, so he's done well in a role that isn't natural to him, and has overcome his own nature to an extent.
      A true leader is someone like Martin Jonhson, a different sport, but the skills are transferable.
      I think it's something some people are born with and others aren't.

We don't know what will happen in the next few years, but I'd really like to see one of the local lads come through and grow to become our on field leader.

I agree with you in terms of his natural leadership abilities but leadership comes in many forms. It should not be underestimated the importance of his 'club legend' role and the respect he earns. He might not be a leader in the sense of "do as I say" but because he's a leader in terms of 'do as I do', people tend to listen to him when he does have something to say. Emotion aside, looking at the situation pragmatically, there simply is no one else left at the club that can currently replace him as Captain.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #58: Oct 31, 2014 06:11:30 pm
      Given that Lampard wasn't offered a new contract at Chelsea, I wouldn't be at all surprised if our owners don't offer Gerrard one either, not with their obsession with 'ones for the future'. The biggest problem in that is that no one at the club is ready to step up to the level of leadership he offers. As for lessons being learned from 2002 and 2009, we learned none, nor did we learn lessons from 2013 Spurs and if we fail to finish in the top four again this season, I doubt very much our owners will learn the lessons of 2014/2015.

Neither does Stevie himself. He's never been vocal and take the Hull match for example; ref tells Stevie to pull aside Balo and have a word. What did Stevie do - FA and ran back to his own position! He's someone who has led by example. But how do you lead this new group of players when you're struggling to adapt to a new position yourself?

Then obviously there's the wage problem. He is the biggest earner here so would he be prepared to take the cut or would he do a Johnson? Would he also be prepared to play less frequently? Surely common sense has to kick-in with him at the realisation he ain't got the legs for it anymore.

TBH I can't see any of the BIG 3 from the PL going for him or any of the so-called big teams from continental Europe going for him for that matter. If he goes it'll definitely be the MLS - high salary and same language.

It'll be a wrench if he goes and it'll be a further massive wrench as far as club identity aswell. It's a massive conundrum for Brendan and the commercial men at the club too.

I think Stevie is also at the crossroads of life too. If he's ever going to make 'the move' then now is the ideal time for doing so before he really is deemed too old.

He's a fabulous servant to the club and a great example to the word loyalty but, when do you replace realism with romance? And haven't we also been told on numerous occasions that "no one player is bigger than the club"?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #59: Oct 31, 2014 06:17:44 pm
      I agree with you in terms of his natural leadership abilities but leadership comes in many forms. It should not be underestimated the importance of his 'club legend' role and the respect he earns. He might not be a leader in the sense of "do as I say" but because he's a leader in terms of 'do as I do', people tend to listen to him when he does have something to say. Emotion aside, looking at the situation pragmatically, there simply is no one else left at the club that can currently replace him as Captain.

I can't agree with you on this one.
      I'd love Gerrard to have true leadership qualities, but it's just not there in my opinion.
      A real leader is almost a force of nature, charismatic, strong, someone people automatically look up to (all people, not just team mates), one of those people who, when they walk into a room, it's like everything else stops.
      There are very few people who have this quality, it's rare, and I think the word has been cheapened by overuse in much the same that "world class" has.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Oct 31, 2014 06:21:29 pm
      I can't agree with you on this one.
      I'd love Gerrard to have true leadership qualities, but it's just not there in my opinion.
      A real leader is almost a force of nature, charismatic, strong, someone people automatically look up to (all people, not just team mates), one of those people who, when they walk into a room, it's like everything else stops.
      There are very few people who have this quality, it's rare, and I think the word has been cheapened by overuse in much the same that "world class" has.

Nonetheless, the question remains. Who is capable of taking over from him? If we put aside his style of leadership for the moment, who at LFC now is a force of nature?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #61: Oct 31, 2014 06:27:41 pm
      Nonetheless, the question remains. Who is capable of taking over from him? If we put aside his style of leadership for the moment, who at LFC now is a force of nature?

All great teams have leaders all over the pitch not one individual idol that the other players are in awe of.
      The whole leadership stuff is so over rated imo, do professional footballers really need to be directed, spurred on during a match bearing in mind the tactics and play has already been set by the coach.

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #62: Oct 31, 2014 06:29:26 pm
      Is it a possibility that gerrard has already spoke to the club. They want him to finish at the end of the season and go on the coaching staff. He says he wants to play on next season and isnt ready to retire.

Reading his words ... he wants to stay and if the club offer him a deal he will.

He is putting it out there that its in the clubs court. They cant let a player of his stature, respect, know how, quality and experience just walk out of the football club.

That would be a big mistake imo.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #63: Oct 31, 2014 06:31:49 pm

no one.
      and neither is Gerrard.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #64: Oct 31, 2014 06:34:39 pm
      I actually don't think there's too much here. Seems like a bit of a tactic from both sides to meet somewhere in the middle on a new contract for Stevie. As much as a lot people hate them, FSG aren't dumb; they know the backlash that will happen if Gerrard is moved on to another team. I'd be very surprised if we don't see him playing for Liverpool in August.

Whether or not he should still be starting week in, week out is another issue. He's sort of become the elephant in the room in the sense that he's not a particularly great DM but his attributes/passing range/presence you don't want to do without on the pitch. Almost as if he doesn't quite fit into a set position any more. It's a tough call for any manager to make. There is no such thing as a like-for-like replacement of Stevie -- he's truly one-of-a-kind -- but there are better DMs out there (albeit ones without Gerrard's attacking attributes).

As for him becoming a coach, am I the only one who thinks Stevie's not quite ready for that? He's never really struck me as the coaching type because he's an incredibly gifted footballer. Seems like he might be better suited to an academy type of thing, schooling youngsters in what it means to play for Liverpool. Contrast that with Carragher who, while not immensely talented naturally, is a very intelligent observer and student of the game, in part because he needed to be. Carra is the one who should've been offered a coaching role.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #65: Oct 31, 2014 06:38:38 pm

It wouldn't be a disgrace if LFC didn't feel they could offer him the money he might get elsewhere - especially when they may have to pay the wages of a player to take his place.

I think Gerrard is more than just a player on the field to Liverpool. He's been an important symbol of the quality of the club during a sustained period of decline, a homegrown local boy who turned out to be world class yet remained at Anfield despite playing in generally average Liverpool sides.

It's important the manager doesn't treat him as special when it comes to team selection,  but when it comes to his involvement at the club I don't think money should be an issue. He's probably still among our top 3 shirt sellers anyway and remains the most famous player in our squad for marketing purposes.

The club has to show its class when dealing with Gerrard and accept he is a one off.   
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #66: Oct 31, 2014 06:41:51 pm
      As long as he's a footballer he should be playing at Liverpool.

Whether he is 34, 44 or 104.

John you forgot to add with a L.F.C. club  simmer frame.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #67: Oct 31, 2014 06:41:58 pm
      no one.
      and neither is Gerrard.

I never said he was. Don't put words in my mouth. To be clear, I never thought he should be Captain in the first place. I thought Carragher should have been.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #68: Oct 31, 2014 06:56:18 pm
      I never said he was. Don't put words in my mouth. To be clear, I never thought he should be Captain in the first place. I thought Carragher should have been.

I'm not sure what the issue is here.
      I've stated as clearly as I can what I think, and what a leader is, in my view.
      Nor am I trying to put words in your mouth.

I don't think Carra should have been captain, he's far too political to be a true leader, and the way he got people to brief the press against Rafa was not something I expect from a Liverpool player regardless of how much he wanted a new contract.

I think Rafa made the right decision making Gerrard captain, and Hyypia showed his class when he stepped aside and gave his full support.

It's up to Gerrard whether or not he goes into coaching, but he might decide it's not for him.
      I know Rafa spoke to him about it, and maybe it's something he's looking at doing, but only time will tell.

More and more top players are leaving the game altogether apart from a bit of pundit work, maybe because they are set for life these days, which wasn't the case years ago.

When it comes to a new contract for him, he certainly doesn't need to sign one for the money, but there is the small matter of a gaping hole in his trophy cabinet and I think that is what will motivate him to carry on in some capacity, even if it's just as a bit part player, but that in itself presents problems, because Gerrard is one of those players who gets better as a season goes on and he gets more game time.

Quick Reply