Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...

Read 7090 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #69: Oct 31, 2014 06:58:45 pm
      we don't have anyone of his calibre to replace him and you will not get a 25 year old version of Steven Gerrard for Ā£25mil its more likely to be in excess of Ā£60mil so no chance of another world star arriving even to replace Stevie.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #70: Oct 31, 2014 07:03:02 pm
      we don't have anyone of his calibre to replace him and you will not get a 25 year old version of Steven Gerrard for Ā£25mil its more likely to be in excess of Ā£60mil so no chance of another world star arriving even to replace Stevie.

If there's another player half as talented, I hope he comes through the ranks.
      Rossiter looks a proper player, and he might just fit the bill if his development continues.

I don't know if anyone can shed some light on this for me, but someone told me that a few of the young lads are doing a lot more training with the first team than used to be the case.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #71: Oct 31, 2014 07:10:24 pm
      Don't reckon he'll be at LFC next season. He feels he can still do a job at the moment, and he can - if he didn't, he'd be gone already. Don't think he'll want to fade in the red shirt, have the 'we need to talk about SG' type debate grow, maybe start to struggle to perform the way he wants to. In saying that, think he'll still want to play ball - and at another club, while not at the same level, he could play without the same kind of pressure, expectation etc

Also, he's be such a good servant to the club, so loyal - and been here so long, wouldn't be surprised if he felt it time for a new challenge, in the knowledge that nobody at the club would begrudge him that (whereas had he left a few years back when he nearly went to Chelsea, might have coloured a few fans opinions). Coming to the end of your playing career, would say you'd want to squeeze every last drop out of it. If he is considering some kind of coaching/other job in the future at LFC, might be good time to take a break before possibly coming back in some capacity.

I'm massive fan of SG, think he is absolutely one of the top3 or 4 players ever to have played for the club. Don't buy into the whole 'but he didn't win this, or as many of that'. You can see it in the way he plays, how he carries himself, what he says, how much the club, fans etc mean to him. Definitely bleeds LFC red through and through. How many great LFC moments of past years have been down to SG - this is a guy who stands up to be counted when the chips are down, leads from the front, inspires people around him - there aren't too F***ing many of them guys around.

Obviously could be completely wrong :) ,  but no matter when he hangs up the red shirt, will be very sorry to see him go. They don't make too many like SG.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #72: Oct 31, 2014 07:22:10 pm
      It'll be a sad day when Captain Fantastic leaves the club. He's the Liverpool legend of my time and someone who I can tell my grandchildren one day, "Yep, I grew up watching Steven Gerrard play, what a legend".
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #73: Oct 31, 2014 07:23:16 pm
      Gerrard? A free agent? That would be disaster for Brendan. He will lose a lot of love and respect.

Then Chelsea snaps him up and he goes to win the trophy that has eluded us this long.

We need to respect the Man and give him the contract he needs.

He is still the best long range passer out there.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #74: Oct 31, 2014 07:49:28 pm
      If there's another player half as talented, I hope he comes through the ranks.
      Rossiter looks a proper player, and he might just fit the bill if his development continues.

I don't know if anyone can shed some light on this for me, but someone told me that a few of the young lads are doing a lot more training with the first team than used to be the case.

As evident from photographs of recent training sessions. Deffo saw the likes of Williams and Wilson there.

Gerrard? A free agent? That would be disaster for Brendan. He will lose a lot of love and respect.

Then Chelsea snaps him up and he goes to win the trophy that has eluded us this long.

We need to respect the Man and give him the contract he needs.

He is still the best long range passer out there.

If he goes he won't go to a rival and in any case nobody is going to sign him for sentiment reasons. Before I get Drogba thrown in my face, Drogba is still a capable and dangerous player. There's no room for Gerrard in their midfield.

I honestly think he liked what he saw in the US during the pre-season. And they can afford a comparative wage - Henry reputedly earns Ā£3m a season!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #75: Oct 31, 2014 07:55:30 pm
      He needs to stay until he retires. The same way Giggs did with Utd. Or Scholes. Or John Terry with Chelsea. He won't play for another club. Certain players have given their all for their respective clubs. The least they can do is allow them the dignity of finishing there.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #76: Oct 31, 2014 08:58:48 pm
      If he goes he won't go to a rival

Why not? You sound very sure about this.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #77: Oct 31, 2014 09:25:18 pm

Because you don't risk throwing away a legacy like Stevie's.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #78: Oct 31, 2014 09:38:17 pm
      Why would he be played virtually every minute of every game if the club were looking to get rid of him next season? IMO they still see him as a key part of the team and although you could argue that it's the same for Johnson given how much he seems to play but he has been dropped a few times lately and is clearly not as integral to the club.

I can't see Gerrard going anywhere in the summer.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #79: Oct 31, 2014 09:54:02 pm
      I'm not sure what the issue is here.
      I've stated as clearly as I can what I think, and what a leader is, in my view.
      Nor am I trying to put words in your mouth.

I don't think Carra should have been captain, he's far too political to be a true leader, and the way he got people to brief the press against Rafa was not something I expect from a Liverpool player regardless of how much he wanted a new contract.

I think Rafa made the right decision making Gerrard captain, and Hyypia showed his class when he stepped aside and gave his full support.

It's up to Gerrard whether or not he goes into coaching, but he might decide it's not for him.
      I know Rafa spoke to him about it, and maybe it's something he's looking at doing, but only time will tell.

More and more top players are leaving the game altogether apart from a bit of pundit work, maybe because they are set for life these days, which wasn't the case years ago.

When it comes to a new contract for him, he certainly doesn't need to sign one for the money, but there is the small matter of a gaping hole in his trophy cabinet and I think that is what will motivate him to carry on in some capacity, even if it's just as a bit part player, but that in itself presents problems, because Gerrard is one of those players who gets better as a season goes on and he gets more game time.

There's no issue, I just don't like people who try to put words in my mouth which you appeared to be doing. A simple misunderstanding.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 10:40:56 pm by 5timesacharm »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #80: Oct 31, 2014 10:16:03 pm
      Patrick Vieira exclusive: England captain Gerrard is a true leader who never hides
                                                -----------------------------------------

Kenny Dalglish praises Steven Gerrard leadership qualities after midfielder signs new contract
       Jan 13, 2012 07:27 
      By James Pearce

KENNY DALGLISH praised Steven Gerrardā€™s leadership qualities after the Liverpool FC skipper penned an extension to his contract.
      The Reds boss says the  inspirational midfielder plays  a huge role both on and off the  pitch and heā€™s delighted that  the 31-year-old is staying at  Anfield for the rest of his  career.

ā€œItā€™s fantastic for  everybody,ā€ Dalglish said.

ā€œPeople only see what he  does on the pitch but Steven  does everything. Itā€™s the same  for Carra as well who is also  influential among the young  players. They are two great examples for them to sit and  look up to.

ā€œSteven, being the club  captain, is very impressive. If  thereā€™s a problem to be sorted  in the dressing room, which  isnā€™t very often, heā€™ll deal with  it and it doesnā€™t come any  further than the dressing  room which is fantastic for us.  It doesnā€™t happen too often but  if it happens he steps in.

ā€œHe stands up to be counted  on and off the pitch."
                                                      -------------------------------------------
      Brendan Rodgers believes Steven Gerrard's leadership skills have taken the focus from his outstanding form during Liverpool's title challenge and insisted he would not swap his captain for any playmaker in Europe.

"I think his form sometimes gets lost a wee bit with Steven because his leadership quality in the team is there for all to see,"
                                                               ----------------------------------------------------------
      England will miss "fantastic" captain Steven Gerrard after his retirement from international football, says national boss Roy Hodgson.

ā€œAs a captain he could not have done more for the causeā€

Greg Dyke

FA chairman

The Liverpool midfielder, 34, won 114 caps and scored 21 goals, representing his country at six major tournaments.

"We shall miss his leadership qualities as we look ahead with a youthful group," Hodgson said.
                                                         --------------------------------------

Henderson said: ā€œStevieā€™s probably not only the best captain for Liverpool and before with England, but in the game itself.

ā€œBeing around him has benefited me a lot. Itā€™s been huge. Every day I watch him. Itā€™s his desire to improve.

ā€œHeā€™s been the best and most influential player here for such a long time but he still wants to get better.

ā€œHe takes training really seriously and sets the tone for how things should be. Everyone else follows.

ā€œHe does a lot of things that people on the outside donā€™t see. On the pitch heā€™s a great leader.

ā€œYou can see the goals, the passes and the tackles he makes; the way he inspires the team.

ā€œBut off the pitch he conducts himself brilliantly too. Heā€™s a genuinely nice person and everybody in the squad knows they can go to him.

ā€œThe most important thing is he puts the team in front of everybody else including himself. The most important thing is the team.ā€
                                                   ------------------------------------------

But what the F**k would they know !!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #81: Oct 31, 2014 10:39:11 pm

ļ€† James Pearce retweeted

Liverpool Echo ā€@LivEchoLFC  Ā· 8 mins8 minutes ago 
      #LFC set to open contract talks with captain Steven Gerrard http://bit.ly/1tqpOnf 

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #82: Oct 31, 2014 11:51:12 pm
      Nice one!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #83: Nov 01, 2014 12:56:06 am
      Because you don't risk throwing away a legacy like Stevie's.

Who doesn't s@int? Not too sure I understand your answer. The club don't risk it?

If so, they don't have any say if he leaves as a free agent and if it was down to him - if the contract wasn't offered - like 2005 I'd imagine he'd look to move to a club that he had the most chance of winning a major medal with next season.

It's all by the by anyway as he'll be here next season, I'm pretty sure of that. The interview was him giving the club a nudge in my opinion.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #84: Nov 01, 2014 01:11:09 am
      Just give him a ontract for the next 5 years so he is here until he retires and will be no more talk of contracts.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #85: Nov 01, 2014 01:22:55 am
      Who doesn't s@int? Not too sure I understand your answer. The club don't risk it?

If so, they don't have any say if he leaves as a free agent and if it was down to him - if the contract wasn't offered - like 2005 I'd imagine he'd look to move to a club that he had the most chance of winning a major medal with next season.

It's all by the by anyway as he'll be here next season, I'm pretty sure of that. The interview was him giving the club a nudge in my opinion.

Yeah I didn't make myself too clear mate.... I meant Gerrard wouldn't want to throw away his legacy by joining a rival.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #86: Nov 01, 2014 03:03:51 am

Because as much as he's desperate for a PL winners medal, something tells me he'd only want to achieve that with his boyhood club. Also, there's the fact that only two teams (currently) are realistically capable of achieving that aim for him. Chavs, who got shot of Fat Frank for exactly the same predicament that Gerrard is in now and Citeh, who Fat Frank has ended up at and is only used sparingly. I get the feeling Gerrard still want's to play regularly and I doubt Pellegrini will guarantee him that which is why I suspect Gerrard is firing his salvo over the bow right now!

As God has alluded to:-

Meanwhile, Fowler wants midfielder Steven Gerrard to see out his playing career at Anfield.

Skipper Gerrard, 34, said he could join another club next summer if Liverpool do not offer him a new contract.

"Speaking from a selfish point of view, I love Steven Gerrard and I'd love him to stay at Liverpool," said Fowler.

"It's like Ryan Giggs at Manchester United - players come into the club and are instantly lifted by seeing Gerrard.

"He might not be as good as he used to be but he's still a class act.

"The common consensus is that he will go abroad if he did leave Anfield, but if he did become available I think clubs in the Premier League would want him. He's still that good a player."

The above is taken in part from an article where Rodgers is being slagged off by Rene Meulensteen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29859691

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #87: Nov 01, 2014 07:27:30 am
      How do you replace Gerrard..? Honestly I don't think you can - not only for the on the field but the off the field presence he has.

If he doesn't get another 3 years and go on to be on the bench in a managerial capacity I would be amazed. Surley that has to be the logical step - but if his contract ends in May then I would expect some of these MLS teams to be looking now at getting him in... We could lose him very easily and that would be a massive issue for next season.

It's time for both parties to move on. We, as a club, ought to move on and give that on and off field responsibility to someone else. We cannot rely on Gerrard all the time.

Yes we are lacking leaders at present, but someone has to step up and show that courage.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #88: Nov 01, 2014 08:28:47 am
      I don't see it as moving on. For sure the day will come when Gerrard will retire and i hope it will be at his home.

For me it is showing respect to the player that gave himself to the club, even if he is not as young (It doesn't mean he has to start every game)
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #89: Nov 01, 2014 09:26:05 am
      It's time for both parties to move on. We, as a club, ought to move on and give that on and off field responsibility to someone else. We cannot rely on Gerrard all the time.

Yes we are lacking leaders at present, but someone has to step up and show that courage.

Not sure if your being serious....

Personally I believe he can offer a hell of a lot on and off the pitch, even if he steps back a touch. Off the pitch, around the youth players he can offer even more - I bet most of the 10 to 18 year old players idolise him - someone to look upto. He is a great role model, and personally I hope he becomes our manager and wins the one trophy he has always wanted to win with us.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #90: Nov 01, 2014 09:27:54 am
      For me the most interesting things to come from the whole article are the points about our policies.

He would have loved a Costa or a Fabregas but knew it would never have happened. We were never even there for them, that's obvious. You then have Chris Bascombe saying the other week that all the talk of Sanchez not choosing us because of the London thing was pushed into the news by Liverpool.

Forget Reus or anybody who will command high fees and wages. Not happening.

We've had Rodgers and now Gerrard hinting of pastures new whilst our scouting system gets us Lazar Markovic for Ā£20 million quid whilst Suso can't get a sniff and Jordan Ibe plies his trade on loan elsewhere. I'd bet either would have done a better job in the games Markovic has been trusted in.

We'll spend bigger when wages are low and vice versa. Money and future resale is more important. We should have been going all out to build on last season but instead we had the Luis money to build squad depth only. If Luis was still here I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have any depth.

The scouting system doesn't seem to do anything of note and it even seems that we scrimp with the youth set up now when you think we used to employ from Spain (Barcelona?) and what have you.

If we come good again this season it will be despite our owners and because of a super human managerial performance, just like last season.

We are run by minge bags and it is why Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers are saying things like they have that worry me.

Of course Steven will be offered a new deal. He's very important to our marketing strategies at worldwide level. The owners keep raking it in whilst anybody who wants a season ticket for Anfield pays four times as much as somebody at the Bernabau.

Money first, money last, success if it happens on the way but not a priority.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #91: Nov 01, 2014 09:56:23 am
      For me the most interesting things to come from the whole article are the points about our policies.

He would have loved a Costa or a Fabregas but knew it would never have happened. We were never even there for them, that's obvious. You then have Chris Bascombe saying the other week that all the talk of Sanchez not choosing us because of the London thing was pushed into the news by Liverpool.

Forget Reus or anybody who will command high fees and wages. Not happening.

We've had Rodgers and now Gerrard hinting of pastures new whilst our scouting system gets us Lazar Markovic for Ā£20 million quid whilst Suso can't get a sniff and Jordan Ibe plies his trade on loan elsewhere. I'd bet either would have done a better job in the games Markovic has been trusted in.

We'll spend bigger when wages are low and vice versa. Money and future resale is more important. We should have been going all out to build on last season but instead we had the Luis money to build squad depth only. If Luis was still here I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have any depth.

The scouting system doesn't seem to do anything of note and it even seems that we scrimp with the youth set up now when you think we used to employ from Spain (Barcelona?) and what have you.

If we come good again this season it will be despite our owners and because of a super human managerial performance, just like last season.

We are run by minge bags and it is why Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers are saying things like they have that worry me.

Of course Steven will be offered a new deal. He's very important to our marketing strategies at worldwide level. The owners keep raking it in whilst anybody who wants a season ticket for Anfield pays four times as much as somebody at the Bernabau.

Money first, money last, success if it happens on the way but not a priority.

Came in to say something but Wahs has put it better than i could nice one thats how i feel about the whole thing ,i do think the penny has dropped re the owners ,if Stevie could see what was going to happen buying such an influx of players why on earth did we end up treading that path .

Quick Reply