Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

January transfer window

Read 43763 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Re: January transfer window
      Reply #184: Nov 21, 2014 05:35:29 pm
      Huntelaar would be worth a punt. Only 6 months left on his current deal. Never played in the Prem and would probably love to get the chance. Since his days at Ajax he has averaged well over 20 goals per season in several of Europe's top leagues: Eredivisie, La Liga, Seria A, and Bundesliga. I'd imagine a 6M - 8M offer should be enough.

Also, Cabaye and/or Khediera could be affordable ways to quickly improve our midfield.

Huntelaar probably won't fit into the FSG model he is 31.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #185: Nov 21, 2014 05:43:30 pm

Oh I don't know mate, they got Toure on a free but doubt they would stump up any cash.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #186: Nov 21, 2014 06:53:03 pm
      Oh I don't know mate, they got Toure on a free but doubt they would stump up any cash.

Freebie yup that would probably appeal.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #187: Nov 21, 2014 07:09:57 pm

Lambert?
      Surely Huntelaar could do better for around the same fee and wages.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #188: Nov 22, 2014 10:44:51 am

and injury prone
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #189: Nov 22, 2014 12:41:39 pm
      Papers reporting Berahino as our top January target for £15m. Yet another kid with potential for the future. Although he is the type of striker we should have signed in the summer. A player who is quick and has goals in him.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #190: Nov 22, 2014 12:56:26 pm
      FSG don't have a model regarding age; just cost and wage demands (in my opinion obviously). "You can have any colour you want; as long as it's one of these two...".

Then again; there is the school of thought(?) that Brendan makes all the calls on transfers. So, in theory we could sign Huntelaar, irrespective of age or cost - providing Brendan rates him.

The thing is; if that [Brendan calls all the shots and isn't restricted] is the truth then... you have got to be hoping he rates Muller, for e.g., higher than Huntelaar.  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #191: Nov 22, 2014 01:12:18 pm
      Papers reporting Berahino as our top January target for £15m. Yet another kid with potential for the future. Although he is the type of striker we should have signed in the summer. A player who is quick and has goals in him.

£15m? These figures really do get plucked out of thin air don't they!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #192: Nov 22, 2014 01:13:50 pm
      £15m? These figures really do get plucked out of thin air don't they!

That's the minimum we would be paying mate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #193: Nov 22, 2014 03:31:51 pm

Potential?

Isn't he 4th in the league in scoring...behind Aguero, Costa and Sanchez?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #194: Nov 22, 2014 03:39:47 pm
      Potential?

This could be his breakthrough season he's in great scoring form so far. But he's still a young player at 21 with lots of potential it's not like he's a super PL striker yet.
      Bier
      Reply #195: Nov 22, 2014 04:22:21 pm
      Potential?

I think Andy Carroll was around the same place or maybe even higher on that list when we bought him. Even a player like Lukaku scored 17 goals in his first Premier League season. Doesn't make him a top striker already. So yeah, potential.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #196: Nov 22, 2014 09:36:59 pm
      Flavour of the month.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #197: Nov 22, 2014 09:40:39 pm
      That's the minimum we would be paying mate.

I'd rather we passed then.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #198: Nov 23, 2014 11:07:23 am
      We'll not get Berahino for less than 20 million quid I don't think. I think the price will be around 22 million, and I think he's worth every penny.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #199: Nov 23, 2014 11:13:35 am
      and I think he's worth every penny.

Well that's that then... sign him up.   ;D

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #200: Nov 23, 2014 12:05:35 pm
      Doesn't make him a top striker already. So yeah, potential.
      I've been meaning to ask you Bier - I like the look of the lad but what's your take on Luc Castaignos; do you reckon he could perform in the Premier League?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #201: Nov 23, 2014 12:26:25 pm

I agree. I don't think he's that good at the moment and wouldn't like to see us waste money when we could potentially have better in the u21's. He's just a kid who got a chance and is doing well currently.

Would rather we nurture players like Ojo & Wilson, give them a chance whilst buying more established players.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #202: Nov 23, 2014 12:32:23 pm
      Well that's that then... sign him up.   ;D

Sorted  :D :D
      Bier
      Reply #203: Nov 23, 2014 03:56:19 pm
      I've been meaning to ask you Bier - I like the look of the lad but what's your take on Luc Castaignos; do you reckon he could perform in the Premier League?

Right now, no. In a few years, maybe, probably at some point. I was really impressed with him 4 years ago at Feyenoord. Then he went to Inter and failed there, came back to Twente, and haven't been that impressed since to be honest. Especially as far as skill and technique goes. When he was younger I thought he might turn out like a Henry type striker, but he just doesn't have anywhere that talent. Still, he'll turn out to be an ok striker, perhaps a good one at a later age. It sucks, because us Dutch are in dire need of a good young striker. After Van Persie and Huntelaar there's nobody, and they're getting on. Compare that to our days of having to pick from Kluivert, Bergkamp, van Nistelrooy, Makaay, Hasselbaink etc. The first interesting top potential Dutch striker is just 18 years old still, Richairo Zivkovic. But he'll need a few years even if he does develop well.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #204: Nov 23, 2014 04:20:48 pm
      Right now, no. In a few years, maybe, probably at some point. I was really impressed with him 4 years ago at Feyenoord. Then he went to Inter and failed there, came back to Twente, and haven't been that impressed since to be honest. Especially as far as skill and technique goes. When he was younger I thought he might turn out like a Henry type striker, but he just doesn't have anywhere that talent. Still, he'll turn out to be an ok striker, perhaps a good one at a later age. It sucks, because us Dutch are in dire need of a good young striker. After Van Persie and Huntelaar there's nobody, and they're getting on. Compare that to our days of having to pick from Kluivert, Bergkamp, van Nistelrooy, Makaay, Hasselbaink etc. The first interesting top potential Dutch striker is just 18 years old still, Richairo Zivkovic. But he'll need a few years even if he does develop well.

Thanks for that Bier.

---------------------------------------------------

Not that I can see FSG sanctioning any money for the level of player we need but if they do - I hope the realisation has dawned [on them and many of our fans] that; from keeper to centre-half, to striker we should only sign players who are, already, better than what we already have.

To do otherwise is foolish at best; reckless at worst.

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #205: Nov 23, 2014 04:25:31 pm
      Not that I can see FSG sanctioning any money for the level of player we need but if they do - I hope the realisation has dawned [on them and many of our fans] that; from keeper to centre-half, to striker we should only sign players who are, already, better than what we already have.

To do otherwise is foolish at best; reckless at worst.

Been saying this a lot as well.

Buying "squad players" suggests buying players of a similar or slightly inferior level to the starting XI, to fill the bench and make up numbers. We strengthen in numbers but only maintain, at best, the level of the team.

Buying better than we have in the starting XI, creates competition for spaces and improves the overall quality of the group.

Or is this just over-simplifying things on my part, surely it can't be that straight forward, or else it's what we would have been doing already for years? ???
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #206: Nov 23, 2014 04:37:07 pm
      Or is this just over-simplifying things on my part, surely it can't be that straight forward, or else it's what we would have been doing already for years?
      It could be that we are just both clueless Ayrton [it appears I am anyhow].

Or maybe the theory that how much a player is paid is the primary factor driving transfer policy is just sh*t and in reality there's some master-plan at work, which folk as stupid as me can't understand. Migs better than Pepe; Sahko, then Lovren better than Agger; Aspas/Borini/Assiadi better than Downing? The list goes on... oh for a peek at the master-plan.

Quick Reply