Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

January transfer window

Read 43744 times
      Bier
      Re: January transfer window
      Reply #207: Nov 23, 2014 04:53:28 pm
      I think it's a scouting thing. Whoever are part of the decision making of transfer targets, which I imagine Brendan plays a big role in, are going after the wrong ones. Looking at our recent transfer dealings, the best ones have been the relatively cheap ones, which doesn't make sense. Coutinho and Sturridge, great deals, relatively cheap. Last season Touré I think was a good deal to replace some experience. And for this season I imagine Origi and Can will turn out to be our best deals, but for the future, not now.

The players we've spend the most money on have in many cases been the least impactful these past seasons. which doesn't make sense and shouldn't be the case. When we spend more on players that should increase the impact and chance of success.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #208: Nov 23, 2014 07:16:53 pm
      Whoever are part of the decision making of transfer targets, which I imagine Brendan plays a big role in, are going after the wrong ones. Looking at our recent transfer dealings, the best ones have been the relatively cheap ones, which doesn't make sense.
      Going on the theory that new players may need time before being written off let's look at previous signings; players who have been here a full season or more, signed during Brendan's time here - pre Suarez windfall...

Jordan Ibe    Â£0.5m
      Samed Yesil - £1m
      Assaidi - £2.3m
      Luis Alberto - £6m
      Iago Aspas - £7m
      Tiago Ilori - £7m
      Coutinho - £8.5m
      Fabio Borini - £10m
      Mignolet - £10m
      Sturridge - £12m
      Joe Allen - £15m
      Sakho - £18m

Twelve players @ an average cost = £8.1m so; far from being relatively cheap - they were both above average cost and more importantly... better than what they were replacing. 

Of course that figure would change if you bring into account Kenny/Comolli signings but those players were signed under a different 'scouting system' so they're safe to exclude.

It's also true that the figures will change after this season but then again so might the tag "best ones".

You are perfectly correct about the scouting, to a certain extent. mate but (in their defence) scouting for better than what we have, in the price bracket they were assigned, for that hidden gem; was/is very difficult.

« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2014 07:33:30 pm by bad boy bubby »
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #209: Nov 24, 2014 12:33:46 pm
      I'd no problem with Saido Berahino as I think he is a very good striker and would be a decent option in January.

However, I'd much rather scour Europe. The likes of Alexandre Lacazette and Andrej Kramaric are prolific in their respective leagues and would probably come in considerably cheaper.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #210: Nov 24, 2014 12:56:52 pm
      I'd no problem with Saido Berahino as I think he is a very good striker and would be a decent option in January.

However, I'd much rather scour Europe. The likes of Alexandre Lacazette and Andrej Kramaric are prolific in their respective leagues and would probably come in considerably cheaper.

My only concern at this point is that he'd be another one-season wonder. Our entire transfer strategy is largely at fault for this season's problems. We need an established player; someone who has proven they're more than a flash in the pan and who has European football experience. The problem now is that our league position is so bad that it would take something special to sign someone like that so we've backed ourselves in to a corner where we're likely now forced to take another gamble on our future.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #211: Nov 24, 2014 02:41:56 pm
      My only concern at this point is that he'd be another one-season wonder. Our entire transfer strategy is largely at fault for this season's problems. We need an established player; someone who has proven they're more than a flash in the pan and who has European football experience. The problem now is that our league position is so bad that it would take something special to sign someone like that so we've backed ourselves in to a corner where we're likely now forced to take another gamble on our future.

I did say towards the end of the summer transfer window that Wilfried Bony or Samuel Eto'o would have been fantastic acquisitions considering what little there was left to scrap on. It was scandalous that we eventually signed Mario Balotelli when we had over a month to find an adequate replacement for Luis Suarez.

Ideally, I would like Jackson Martinez or Alexandre Lacazette. However, I fear its going to be a case of beggars can't be choosers in January.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #212: Nov 24, 2014 02:44:38 pm
      Going on the theory that new players may need time before being written off let's look at previous signings; players who have been here a full season or more, signed during Brendan's time here - pre Suarez windfall...

Jordan Ibe    Â£0.5m
      Samed Yesil - £1m
      Assaidi - £2.3m
      Luis Alberto - £6m
      Iago Aspas - £7m
      Tiago Ilori - £7m
      Coutinho - £8.5m
      Fabio Borini - £10m
      Mignolet - £10m
      Sturridge - £12m
      Joe Allen - £15m
      Sakho - £18m

Twelve players @ an average cost = £8.1m so; far from being relatively cheap - they were both above average cost and more importantly... better than what they were replacing. 

Of course that figure would change if you bring into account Kenny/Comolli signings but those players were signed under a different 'scouting system' so they're safe to exclude.

It's also true that the figures will change after this season but then again so might the tag "best ones".

You are perfectly correct about the scouting, to a certain extent. mate but (in their defence) scouting for better than what we have, in the price bracket they were assigned, for that hidden gem; was/is very difficult.

I'm quoting you not in order to reply to anything you've said, but just say your former signature (the one about Allen, Sahin, Borini) was pretty funny (or sad?) in retrospect :D and I had to google it to find where it came from.

And now I have a question: what does that avatar mean?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #213: Nov 25, 2014 09:59:46 am
      And now I have a question: what does that avatar mean?
      Alright Diego - "4 more years" is a slogan often used in the U.S. presidential election (Nixon campaign was my first recollection).

The avatar is a slogan used in response - most likely to Obama, knowing our colonial cousins.

I have stolen it to reflect my opinion of the first 4 years of LFC's current administration.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #214: Nov 25, 2014 11:07:36 am
      Alright Diego - "4 more years" is a slogan often used in the U.S. presidential election (Nixon campaign was my first recollection).

The avatar is a slogan used in response - most likely to Obama, knowing our colonial cousins.

I have stolen it to reflect my opinion of the first 4 years of LFC's current administration.

The financial implication of the Suarez deal may have derailed FSG totally, they have apparently calculated that bargain hunting in the £22m potential aisle will ultimately produce a world class player. It doesn't work like that - predicting a Tsunami is easier.
      That does not mean it doesn't happen but trying to discover tomorrow's superstars from the potential of Origi, Markovic or Can does not accommodate the here and now.
      A top club needs top players to compete, such a strategy entails bold investment in the area of signing ''sure things'' or as near as damn it in the transfer market, Chelsea are not outspending anyone right now but do sign the occasional big hitter.
      The mancs signed Di Maria for £59m which looks to be a far better deal than the £4m Lambert ''bargain'' acquisition.
      The club could have afforded to buy a big hitter, an established striker instead of which FSG sought to enter the market a tier below such players, instead of a specific, recognised target the blunderbuss method was utilised. 

The coming year will give a more lucid indication as to the length of JWH's much vaunted ''long term'' plan, it could require some amendment.
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014 11:27:27 am by stuey »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #215: Nov 25, 2014 11:37:42 am
      Need a goalie, central defender, midfielder & a pacey striker, basically a new spine for the team straight down the line :D

Good luck.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #216: Nov 25, 2014 11:45:14 am
      Need a goalie, central defender, midfielder & a pacey striker, basically a new spine for the team straight down the line :D

Good luck.

We actually need two pacey skilful strikers as Rodgers whole game plan depends on it and we can no longer rely on Danny with his fitness issues.

But for some bizarre reason Rodgers didn't deem this necessary so he bought two strikers with zero pace and poor movement. He effectively threw his whole philosophy out the window.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #217: Nov 25, 2014 12:01:39 pm

Got it!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #218: Nov 25, 2014 12:50:05 pm

Think you hit the nail on the head with that one BBB!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #219: Nov 25, 2014 01:05:58 pm
      We actually need two pacey skilful strikers as Rodgers whole game plan depends on it and we can no longer rely on Danny with his fitness issues.

But for some bizarre reason Rodgers didn't deem this necessary so he bought two strikers with zero pace and poor movement. He effectively threw his whole philosophy out the window.

How many ''pacey skilful strikers'' would BR have got for £20m+?
      Or to put it another way - put a figure on Studge's value and calculate a like for like acquisition, a £20m+ deposit should secure the transaction.

The manager's limited budget would prevent him approaching a window of any kind much less hurl plans and aspiration through it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #220: Nov 25, 2014 02:45:02 pm
      Would they trust Rodgers with any money?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #221: Nov 25, 2014 03:44:48 pm
      How many ''pacey skilful strikers'' would BR have got for £20m+?
      Or to put it another way - put a figure on Studge's value and calculate a like for like acquisition, a £20m+ deposit should secure the transaction.

The manager's limited budget would prevent him approaching a window of any kind much less hurl plans and aspiration through it.

But we had the money to replace Suarez, £75 million of it not £20 million. Signing players for the future is all well and good but only if you maintain the level of the first team to a consistent high standard. We should have spent at minimum £40 million on replacing Suarez with a player like Sanchez, Jackson Martinez, Higuain or Immobile. These players all have something in common with Suarez they have all scored 20 plus goals a season with their respective clubs. Something Balotelli has never done. We needed to replace Luis's goals and Balotelli was never going to be the one to do it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #222: Nov 25, 2014 04:04:41 pm
      Because if they don't then they can write off top 4? But maybe they've done that already.  :-*

Or maybe they'll just sack him and "trust" the next manager enough to let him pay for a top quality striker rather than farther about "being prudent and not overpaying". It'll be interesting if nothing else.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #223: Nov 25, 2014 04:22:55 pm
      Because if they don't then they can write off top 4? But maybe they've done that already.  :-*

Or maybe they'll just sack him and "trust" the next manager enough to let him pay for a top quality striker rather than farther about "being prudent and not overpaying". It'll be interesting if nothing else.

It's how I see it to be honest, FSG will point out the summer outlay & tell Rodgers work with what you have & prove your worth.

I remember under Kenny how we so much needed a striker and one was never bought in Jan & Kenny was gone the following summer.

De Ja Vu.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #224: Nov 26, 2014 10:43:21 am

Talk out of Boston is that the owners will back Brendan Rodgers through this tough spell as they see him as a long term manager. So in that event, they will hand him further money to spend.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #225: Nov 26, 2014 11:31:39 am
      Talk out of Boston is that the owners will back Brendan Rodgers through this tough spell as they see him as a long term manager. So in that event, they will hand him further money to spend.

Let's hope he spends it wisely this time then and not on crap.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #226: Nov 26, 2014 03:10:49 pm
      Let's hope he spends it wisely this time then and not on crap.

Some of the names being branded around are a bit more like it (Petr Cech, Nathaniel Clyne, Christoph Kramer, Yohan Cabaye, Jackson Martinez, Seydou Doumbia, Mauro Icardi). However, we are more likely to end up with none of them knowing our luck.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #227: Nov 26, 2014 03:13:39 pm

Where is this "talk out of Boston" coming from? I've seen nothing to substantiate that.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #228: Nov 26, 2014 03:44:25 pm
      Some of the names being branded around are a bit more like it (Petr Cech, Nathaniel Clyne, Christoph Kramer, Yohan Cabaye, Jackson Martinez, Seydou Doumbia, Mauro Icardi). However, we are more likely to end up with none of them knowing our luck.

And not a single one of them will actually happen.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #229: Nov 26, 2014 03:51:32 pm
      And not a single one of them will actually happen.

Because all the club does is talk about it's 5 year plan to become a European force again without having the ambition to spend on players of the level of caliber required to get us there.

Quick Reply