Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

£120m - what would you have done?

Read 13309 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: £120m - what would you have done?
      Reply #138: Nov 27, 2014 09:13:04 pm
      Why wouldn't he? If you have any ambition as a player, you'd want to prove that you are just as good as, if not better then the Elite and Suarez is Elite.

Absolutely agree. I don't think that was the decisive factor in it though (being too scared). It must have boiled down to wages. Since when has a club of this magnitude failed time and again to attract any sort of player?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #139: Nov 27, 2014 09:17:43 pm
      Absolutely agree. I don't think that was the decisive factor in it though (being too scared). It must have boiled down to wages. Since when has a club of this magnitude failed time and again to attract any sort of player?

Wasn't it also something about his wife wanting to be able to shop in London ??? Has she finished F***ing shopping yet?  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #140: Nov 27, 2014 09:30:20 pm
      Wasn't it also something about his wife wanting to be able to shop in London ??? Has she finished f**king shopping yet?  ;)

Last I read she was still living in bloody Spain.

If she was that desperate to shop in London we could have arranged for her to have a super saver bus ticket.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #141: Nov 27, 2014 10:06:27 pm
      Last I read she was still living in bloody Spain.

If she was that desperate to shop in London we could have arranged for her to have a super saver bus ticket.

Bloody Football Club, they should have us doing the negotiating mate.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #142: Nov 28, 2014 06:11:05 am
      Laughable to see lads arguing about Alexis Sanchez. You do realise we'd still be a sham of a team with him because our goalkeeper and defenders are a fooking joke

We conceded crazy goals last year cost us big time but to solve it we buy a centre half who looks out of his depth and 2 kids from Spain. Great teams build from the back they say. They are right I say

but at least we will still score goals.  sterling is not the finished product.. he needs a slick mover up front to put the ball into the net
      our best player to lead the line right now is lambert... we went from suarez and a fit sturridge last year to lambert and balo / borini as backup.  so yes sanchez would've made a huge difference, he plays the style we play
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #143: Nov 28, 2014 08:26:31 am
      Thought Daley Blind was excellent for the Dutch at the World Cup; now realising he's even better in midfield (when he's not injured). I think he would have been great for us in the DM role that Gerrard is trying to play. Not the most expensive of purchases either but could have really sorted our midfield.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #144: Nov 28, 2014 09:03:58 am
      I would have started from the top, so stiker first. i would have pushed Barca to include Sanchez in the Suarez deal or tell them to forget it.
      If that was still a no go then i would of asked barca for Pedro.
      at the back i would of also sold Skrtel for around 10-15 mil if we could and bought in a 28-29yr old CB to partner Sakho and teach him the ways. not went out and over paid for a decent CB who's only had one decent season in the prem at Southampton. i do feel Lovern will come good once he keeps a few clean sheets.
      defo would of sold brad jones and got Valdez to push Mignolet or just bloody kept Renia and had mignolet pushing Reina.
      would of sold johnson and lucas also but would still buy Can as i think he's a real talent and Morneno but not that Manquello as i dont rate him..
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #145: Nov 28, 2014 09:11:01 am
      GK - Valdez - free agent (or kept Reina which also would cost us nothing)
      CB - Giorgio Chiellini – reckon around 15mil would have done it and he's been around and got experiance
      RB - i would have just gave Flanno the chance as he proved himself last season along with Wisdom (no cash spent)
      Midfield - Lallana is a good buy but at that age not worth the price due to the fact BR cant fit him in the side, without dropping Gerrard or Coutinhio.
      DCM - CAn defo worth the fee, sell Lucas for 10-15mil before trying to buy lallana
      Strikers_ Benzema -30mil or pay 50mil for sanchez
      all in all we could of saved 40mil and got a top stiker if we didnt spen so much on the southampton players
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #146: Nov 28, 2014 09:23:33 am
      The three Southampton players were, imo, unnecessary. We had bought Sakho the season before and still had Toure, Ilori and Coates as support. We could have kept Dagger for one more year too, as he would have provided us with that experience and leadership at the back.

As for Markovic, we could have shown our faith in young Suso, Texiera and Alberto.

Much money has been wasted, and I haven't even mentioned that glamour boy up top.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #147: Nov 28, 2014 09:28:24 am
      The three Southampton players were, imo, unnecessary. We had bought Sakho the season before and still had Toure, Ilori and Coates as support. We could have kept Dagger for one more year too, as he would have provided us with that experience and leadership at the back.

As for Markovic, we could have shown our faith in young Suso, Texiera and Alberto.

Much money has been wasted, and I haven't even mentioned that glamour boy up top.

Agree with all that.
      We did what we always seem to do pitched for the mid ranking players because there was no competition for them rather than the elite level.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #148: Nov 28, 2014 09:42:44 am

i also agree mate, why did we pay 20mil for a 2-3 season wonder kid yet to prove anything. i hope he goes on to become a world beater but what happend to that Ukrainian player for half the fee and a proven player we could of got. also Jordan Ibe is just as good as Sterling IMO
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #149: Nov 28, 2014 09:52:36 am
      Kept Pepe and Agger, bought Sanchez, bought Can, sold Skrtel and replaced with a big strong Centre-half who is quick like Nkoulou and played like this...

Pepe

Johnson          Nkoulou              Agger      Enrique

Can

Henderson          Gerrard

Sanchez                                               Sterling/Coutinho

Sturridge

Then the backups could be: Jones (get rid of Simon), Kelly, Flanno, Sakho, Toure, Lucas, Allen, Alberto, Ibe, Aspas, Borini

Yes we are light in some areas, but quality over quantity please. May still have bought Lambert as he's something different, but surely that first 11 is much better than what we have now? And far less transfers were needed to achieve it...Lallana is a very good player, but not £26m good!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #150: Nov 28, 2014 09:56:38 am
      Reina was past his best and making too many errors, Suarez was always going to leave when the likes of Barca showed an interest. The Benzema and Chiellini stuff is just pure delusion, Sanchez didn't want to come to us whatever we offered. Some realism is needed, if we are CL season in season out then perhaps we can think about that, other teams have spent similar sums and done better. the fact is yes we could have signed better players but we need to get the best of the one we have and that patently isn't happening, if you can't do basic things like pass, defend set pieces or you just pick your favourites week in week out then you're struggling. Apart from a top class striker I didn't see much moaning about the players we bought in the summer
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #151: Nov 28, 2014 10:01:42 am
      Reina was past his best and making too many errors, Suarez was always going to leave when the likes of Barca showed an interest. The Benzema and Chiellini stuff is just pure delusion, Sanchez didn't want to come to us whatever we offered. Some realism is needed, if we are CL season in season out then perhaps we can think about that, other teams have spent similar sums and done better. the fact is yes we could have signed better players but we need to get the best of the one we have and that patently isn't happening, if you can't do basic things like pass, defend set pieces or you just pick your favourites week in week out then you're struggling. Apart from a top class striker I didn't see much moaning about the players we bought in the summer
      your not wrong and on paper these players are good signings and have improved the squad. i just think like you said BR needs to start playing them, Markovich needs to start playing otherwise he will never settle but is still young enough to become fantastic. Lovern and sakho need to be parnters when Sakho is fit as we paid so much we have to make it work. and Can and lallan both should be starting as they make us look better when they play. BR should just drop whoever he needs to in order to fit the players he bought in.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #152: Nov 28, 2014 10:01:43 am

Reina is still better than Mignolet now, of course Suarez was going to leave, I don't think anyone has denied that. With Benzema and Chiellini I agree, but sometimes money talks, I think if we offered enough of a wage to Sanchez (doubt Arsenal are paying him tonnes?) we would have got him.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,234 posts | 2813 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #153: Nov 28, 2014 12:55:50 pm
      but at least we will still score goals.  sterling is not the finished product.. he needs a slick mover up front to put the ball into the net
      our best player to lead the line right now is lambert... we went from suarez and a fit sturridge last year to lambert and balo / borini as backup.  so yes sanchez would've made a huge difference, he plays the style we play

Would we still be conceeding soft sloppy goals?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #154: Nov 28, 2014 04:03:24 pm
      Should have put the house on Sanchez.
      F**ked it up.
      No properly planned out second option.

Accountancy FC.

Remy looked like the backup plan to me.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #155: Nov 28, 2014 05:58:54 pm
      we should have went for the following 3 good players who enter their last year of contract :

andre ayew
      andriy yarmolenko
      andrej kramaric

i think they cost around 26-27 mil in total
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #156: Nov 28, 2014 07:07:14 pm
      we should have went for the following 3 good players who enter their last year of contract :

andre ayew
      andriy yarmolenko
      andrej kramaric

i think they cost around 26-27 mil in total

Our players are confused enough as it is, let alone having to communicate with three extra players with similarly sounding surnames.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #157: Nov 28, 2014 07:47:12 pm
      Our players are confused enough as it is, let alone having to communicate with three extra players with similarly sounding surnames.

we should have signed them in the summer instead of markovic et al
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #158: Nov 30, 2014 11:12:12 pm
      What concerns me is that the team vs stoke which (relatively) played well particularly 2nd half had no newcomers except lambert. Sturridge when fit replaces him so did we spend 100 million plus to improve the bench? It did need improving but not for that much. Only Moreno out of everyone we bought is a clear starter when everyone is fit and on song but he has been poor recently. Some teams like west ham and Southampton have spotted better value for money. Fabregas and costa may have been tempted if we had thrown enough money their way which we had
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #159: Dec 01, 2014 09:20:10 am
      People talk about 120m.
      Just bear in mind tho, SIXTY M is about the money they risked when they were financing the takeover of the club for 300 or so m. And with the Luis and Nando money ALONE they brought in 125m!!

That puts it all in perspective. And from May 2012 to May 2013, income was over 200m. Probably not far off 300m now.

They found lots of  money to buy the club. Found F**k all to maintain it. Even turned down a big investment from the fans.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #160: Dec 01, 2014 12:38:53 pm
      I think Br will be lucky to get a quid in Jan think FSG might say you've had your lot fella for this season now make it work! to be fair i think its right, were not playing like a top title contender side so why spend like one! we need to be savy and start bringing through players like Sterling, Ibe just like Southampton do and look how well its paying off for them. Sold around 4 top players and still are a better team. i want to see less player bought and more brought through the academy.

Quick Reply