Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

£120m - what would you have done?

Read 13303 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: £120m - what would you have done?
      Reply #23: Nov 09, 2014 10:37:44 am
      Set up a secure bank account and left the f**king country.

Off to buy an island, bitches!

;D
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #24: Nov 09, 2014 10:42:18 am
      I would have invested in a time machine and brought back the team of '78/79. Conceded 16 goals all season in the league. With eleven players and a couple of subs. Over 42 games.

Just proves to me how sh*te football has become in the modern era. God I miss the good old days...
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #25: Nov 09, 2014 10:48:32 am
      I don't know the striker market well enough to really offer too many suggestions but three players I would have moved heaven and earth to get would have been:

- Paul Pogba (I would have blown half the money on this kid, that would be your midfield stitched up for the next 6/7 with him and Hendo)

- Carlos Tevez (we needed to sign a player with a similar mentality to Suarez, Tevev would have been perfect, still could be?)

- Fabregas (Rodgers spent his biggest fee on a player he doesn't seem to fancy in the big games in Lallana and yet we weren't interested in this lad?)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26: Nov 09, 2014 12:21:41 pm
      I don't know the striker market well enough to really offer too many suggestions but three players I would have moved heaven and earth to get would have been:

- Paul Pogba (I would have blown half the money on this kid, that would be your midfield stitched up for the next 6/7 with him and Hendo)

- Carlos Tevez (we needed to sign a player with a similar mentality to Suarez, Tevev would have been perfect, still could be?)

- Fabregas (Rodgers spent his biggest fee on a player he doesn't seem to fancy in the big games in Lallana and yet we weren't interested in this lad?)

Add a goalkeeper to your list and that would have been my pick too.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #27: Nov 09, 2014 12:26:15 pm
      Add a goalkeeper to your list and that would have been my pick too.

Yeah the obvious one for me was Michelle Vorm as competition even if Mignolet was seen as undisputed number 1. Spurs had no problem bringing him in as a back up and obviously he is a player who has done it for Brendan at Swansea. At least it would have meant a genuine threat to Mignolet's spot.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #28: Nov 09, 2014 12:31:33 pm
      I wouldn't have bought Lovren. He's no £20M defender. And he's no improvement on Agger.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #29: Nov 09, 2014 12:33:00 pm
      I wouldn't have bought Lovren. He's no £20M defender. And he's no improvement on Agger.

Who would you have bought?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #30: Nov 09, 2014 12:33:09 pm
      We can all name players who look like they've hit the ground running and say "well I'd have signed him for starters". Pelle being a classic example, I'd personally never heard of him but yeah for sure if that's what we're doing here, put him in my list.

I don't think though that there's much of a point in that, as I've said a few times quite a few of our signings this Summer were bought with the idea that they'll come good in 2-3 seasons time (at the earliest in some cases), and to my mind it's this policy which needs a look. Equally, you could argue that it's the players already at the club who really ought to be kicking on now given their age and experience (Henderson is a glaring example here IMHO) who are letting us down more than a bunch of 20 year olds. Henderson, Allen, Coutinho etc are at the age now where they really ought to be approaching their best years as players. They've been at the club for long enough to become acclimatised, they know the league etc, so I think it's reasonable to have expected them to have offered far more than they have. They haven't done it for us, and now the focus of many turns to players who are either brand new or are in the twilight of their careers.

Just to put into perspective though, Can is 20, Markovic 20, Manquillo 20, Moreno 22, Origi 19. Now, can anyone name ANY players at the other big clubs who are uprooting trees at that age? When you stick in Sterling who's 19 who already plays for us, it makes you realise that we are very much a "project" in progress, and IMHO it is unrealistic to expect these kids to come in and flourish immediately, particularly when the so called season pro's around them are stinking the place out as well. We end up coming to the conclusion that we've "spunked our transfer funds" when in reality, it'll only really be in two or three YEARS time when we'll know if these transfers listed above have worked out.

Obviously Balotelli we can make more of an immediate call on (and it doesn't look good), Lovren ditto (although I do think he'll make a player for us). Lambert it looks like we've bought 18 months too late, but our youngsters are really being asked to perform just about the impossible in my eyes.

So my answer to "what I'd have done with 120 mill" would be that I'd have gone up the age scale by a couple of years into the 22-25 bracket, and bought a bit more proven quality. Quality which you could expect to flourish after 3 months and not 3 years. Going forward, I'd look to do the same. That said, I definitely WOULD look to hijack the ongoing Berahino contract discussions (he's 21), as I think he already is a very good player who will only get better.   
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #31: Nov 09, 2014 12:40:02 pm
      Check this out...

2.34 million GBP (2012)
      Joe Allen, Salary

1.5 million EUR (2015)
      Paul Pogba, Salary

Hmm
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #32: Nov 09, 2014 12:41:49 pm
      Fabregas 26
      Sanchez  35
      Can 9
      Lallana 25
      Moreno 12

And kept Agger + Reina

Mignolet/Reina
      Flanagan   Skrtel     Agger      Moreno
                         Fabregas
      Coutinho                      Henderson/Gerrard

Sterling      Sturridge    Sanchez
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Nov 09, 2014 12:45:34 pm
      Fun thread.   ;D

Sanchez - £35m
      Fabregas - £26m
      Rakitic - £16m
      Moreno - £12
      Can - £9m
      Remy - £8m
      Vorm - £5m
      Aurier - loan
      Alex Song - loan
      Menez - was on a free

oh and.... Diame - £3m.   ;D

= £114m.

So we'd have lined up something like this:

Vorm
      Aurier Skrtel Agger Moreno
      Fabregas Rakitic
      Sterling Sanchez Coutinho
      Sturridge

bench: Mignolet, Song, Diame, Remy, Can, Toure.

And appoint you head of transfers. Lets face it, anyone can do it.... bar our lot. Would have added a Quality German Centre Half or 2.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #34: Nov 09, 2014 12:47:14 pm
      Benatia - 22 mil
      Fabregas - 26 mil
      Diego Costa - 32 mil
      Sanchez - 35 mil
      Can - 8 mil

123 mil well spent

Problem solved .

Would have played with : Mings - Flanno - Benatia - Skrtel - Enrique - Can - Fabregas - Alexis - Sterling - Costa - Sturridge

Fabregas, Sanchez and Costa chose their clubs. They didn't want to come to us. End of.

The only signings we made I'm not happy with are Balotelli and Markovic only because I expected them to look far more impressive than they have. But all our signings were gambles at the prices we paid. We should have used the combined transfer money of Balotelli and Markovic to sign a proven top striker. Only one who comes to mind that might have been available is Higuain. He would have made perfect sense to replace Suarez's goals. But the club opted to gamble instead and it hasn't paid off. We are where we are now as a result.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #35: Nov 09, 2014 12:48:49 pm
      And appoint you head of transfers. Lets face it, anyone can do it.... bar our lot. Would have added a Quality German Centre Half or 2.

Spurs couldn't do it.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #36: Nov 09, 2014 12:52:30 pm
      We could have done so much better than Dejan Lovren.

Not saying any of the following would have joined us but you can look at the likes of Miranda and Diego Godin at Atletico Madrid, Mehdi Benatia at Roma (if we moved sooner in the transfer market), Samuel Utiti at Lyon, Omer Toprak at Leverkusen or even the young kid Joel Veltman at Ajax. All would have been better signings than Dejan Lovren in my opinion.

I still cannot justify why Southampton spent £8m on Lovren and we saw enough to offer over double that after one good season at Southampton. It makes no sense whatsoever.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Nov 09, 2014 12:56:18 pm
      Give Suarez half to stay and spend the rest on transfers.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Nov 09, 2014 12:58:49 pm

I think their model is nearly identical to ours. Buy potential. Lamela is starting to come good.

Makovic, Sterling, Coutinho, Manquillo, Moreno and Can are all serious potential. My concerns are that waiting around for the potential to come great, we will be left behind by the teams who can continually afford to buy and pay the current best players in the world. By the time they are past it they will then buy the new current best players. We dont/cant do that.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #39: Nov 09, 2014 01:00:47 pm
      Another player we could have signed over the Summer is Jackson Martinez. Would have cost £30 million but is a far more prolific striker than Balotelli.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #40: Nov 09, 2014 01:18:22 pm
      Another player we could have signed over the Summer is Jackson Martinez. Would have cost £30 million but is a far more prolific striker than Balotelli.

Absolutely.

I hope he is considered as a possible incoming transfer in January. Prolific as they come and actually suits our system due to his workrate and ability to play football as well as finish chances.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #41: Nov 09, 2014 01:25:25 pm
      Since we're playing Football Manager 2015, I'd have done something like this. Bear in mind the names are for examples only because there's no guarantees we could have signed these people. Anyway:

In:

Victor Valdes
      Cesc Fàbregas
      Gonzalo Higuain*
      Ablerto Moreno
      Javi Manquilo
      Dejan Lovren
      Emre Can
      Mario Balotelli
      Adam Lallana

Estimated total: £149 million

Out:

Glen Johnson +
      Joe Allen
      Lucas Leiva
      Borini

Estimated total: £28 million

Estimated values based upon fees paid by other clubs, transfermarkt data or agreed transfer fees where the deal did not go through.

* Have inflated his market value by £10 million to be conservative with the figures.

+ Under estimated his market value due to proximity of contract expiry.

We'd have spent more or less the same as we did, and I'd have let go the players we where going to let go anyway. We'd have brought in one more player than we did but let two more players go than we where willing to, so the squad would be pretty much the same size. We'd have just had more quality in it with a nice mix of potential talent and proven talent. Three big names, one of which is on a free, all coming in under budget allowing for the wages to be paid from the remaining money and still had a few bob left over for top ups in January.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #42: Nov 09, 2014 02:06:54 pm
      During the summer, I wanted:

GK: Forster or Begovic  (10m-20m)
      LB: Ricardo Rodriguez   (20m)
      CM: M'Villa or Illarramendi. (15m or loan)
      CF: Sanchez/Firmino & Morata.  (25 & 20m)

That would've been around 85-90m spent on 5 exceptional players that would've covered all vital areas, but most importantly, all able to fit into the system of last season. With Suso, Ilori, Wisdom & Ibe staying too, I genuinely feel we would've been top 3 material.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #43: Nov 09, 2014 02:34:38 pm
      Moreno-12mill
      Drogba-free
      Can-9mill
      Manquillo-Loan
      Keylor Navas-8mill
      Griezmann-24mill
      Alex Song-Loan
      Benatia-22mill

That comes to £75 million, then try and spend the remaining £45million on a top talent, not sure who exactly, perhaps Costa, Reus, Sanchez, Pogba, Vidal, Benzema?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #44: Nov 09, 2014 02:40:21 pm
      Makes me laugh. Forum members naming this and that player for umpteen millions as if it's monopoly money. Just thinking about past Liverpool strikers such as Rush, Fowler, Owen, Aldridge and the LITTLE amounts spent on taking a gamble from lower leagues or through the ranks. Perhaps it might be worth a punt on doing so again?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #45: Nov 09, 2014 02:54:44 pm
      Interesting debate, not sure why people are including so many that we'd have never honestly have heard of such as Pelle and Can, I wouldn't have signed either, never heard of them before.

I would have signed:

Costa + Reus they would have been my replacement for Suarez (£36m + £30m)
      Pogba £45m
      Reina - I wouldn't have let him go
      Agger - I wouldn't have let him go
      Moreno - £12m
      Aurier - Loan

Quick Reply