Trending Topics

£120m - what would you have done?

Read 13297 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: £120m - what would you have done?
      Reply #46: Nov 09, 2014 03:32:04 pm
      If Suarez goes it will be a blow for Liverpool but if he stays he could well end up being banned for a season or more.

If he does go Liverpool should use the entire funds on attempting to entice a top class footballer to the club.  If they try and buy 6 Luis Alberto's then they need to be treated with the contempt they would deserve (and to reduce that £59 ticket price for next season).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #47: Nov 09, 2014 03:35:47 pm
      Perhaps it might be worth a punt on doing so again?

Liverpool had £120M to spend.  They didn't need to take punts.  They should have paid enough to bring in low-risk (hence expensive) footballers.  This summer was not the time for amateurs.

Reina - I wouldn't have let him go
      Agger - I wouldn't have let him go

Totally agree.  They would be in our first XI right now without a shadow of a doubt.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #48: Nov 09, 2014 03:39:37 pm
      Why are people getting their knickers in a twist when somebody says Sanchez/Fabregas? The whole point of the thread is light hearted. It doesn't matter how F***ing realistic the chances of those players coming here in the summer is, it's just players who moved from one club to another during the summer.

Try F***ing lightening up you miserable cu*ts.

As for who I'd buy; (basing it solely on players who have, at some point, played in England as I've no F***ing idea about foreign footy and assuming that all our sales are still going through)

Shaw - 30 mill
      Lovren - 20 mill (I know he's been sh*t for us but I thought he was good at Southampton and was happy when we got him)
      Debuchy - 12 mill
      Remy - 10 mill
      Lambert - 4 mill (again, hasn't done much for us but I wanted us to get him and would of done the same meself)
      Long - 12 mill
      Michu - loan
      Fabregas - 30 mill
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #49: Nov 09, 2014 03:44:52 pm
      Liverpool had £120M to spend.  They didn't need to take punts.  They should have paid enough to bring in low-risk (hence expensive) footballers.  This summer was not the time for amateurs.

Totally agree.  They would be in our first XI right now without a shadow of a doubt.

Haha. One of those so-called amateurs just ended up being our all-time record goal scorer.

For what it's worth, I was making the point that there is plenty of talent in our own leagues that are being missed/ignored so that foreign players are mentioned first and foremost.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #50: Nov 09, 2014 03:49:23 pm
      Seems to me the focus is on big names and money rather than work ethic and quality.

In other words, the opposite of the Liverpool way...
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #51: Nov 09, 2014 04:22:12 pm
      Wouldn't have brought so many players in at once, would have brought 4 possibly 5 in. 3 of which would have be top quality ready to hit the ground running in the biggest Cup competition in the world. The other two brought in with less expectation and allow them to develop into a Liverpool player through sub, lesser game appearances.

Most of all I'd have seen what was potentially coming through the ranks already, and not squandered money on players you feel oblige to put in, because you've paid so many million on when really there no better than what you had.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #52: Nov 09, 2014 04:58:41 pm
      Check this out...

2.34 million GBP (2012)
      Joe Allen, Salary

1.5 million EUR (2015)
      Paul Pogba, Salary

Hmm

You need to add 44% tax and 10% NI to Pogbas salary as all Italian players are quoted at net of tax not gross.  The Clubs also pay a further 40% so it's way higher than it looks.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #53: Nov 09, 2014 05:39:06 pm
      You need to add 44% tax and 10% NI to Pogbas salary as all Italian players are quoted at net of tax not gross.  The Clubs also pay a further 40% so it's way higher than it looks.

He's also quoted GBP for one salary, Euros for the other so it comes out at 2.6 m GBP. This is just giving the figures loosely because he also quotes different years so it fails to take in to account inflation/deflation of the currencies. His point is still valid even if he got his sums wrong :)
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2014 07:00:56 pm by 5timesacharm »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #54: Nov 09, 2014 05:45:12 pm
      He's also quoted GBP for one salary, Euros for the other so it comes out at 2.6 GBP. This is just giving the figures loosely because he also quotes different years so it fails to take in to account inflation/deflation of the currencies. His point is still valid even if he got his sums wrong :)

Ha didn't notice that mate. 
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #55: Nov 09, 2014 06:27:11 pm
      Tiago Ilori
      Jordon Ibe
      Joao Texiera
      Luis Alberto
      Suso
      Andre Wisdom
      Divock Origi

These above mentioned players are all 22 or younger and are on loan. Why we decided to heavily invest in Lazar Markovic was beyond me, but as far as I'm concerned, it was a waste of £20m. In fairness, we didn't need to invest in Origi or Manquillo either, but from a financial perspective they have not caused us much damage.

Emre Can I consider to be a good signing. Only 20 years of age and is built like a tank. Technically sound and aware of his surroundings. Reckon he could really come good for us.

Where the damage was really caused was not spending on youth players, but spending large amounts of players who were deemed good, but didn't demand a big wage. Usually the best players demand big wages - it's a pretty standard trend in this sport. Players like Dejan Lovren, Adam Lallana, and Mario Balotelli had really caused us some damage financially. These were the three main signings of Brendan Rodgers, and neither of the three have come good. Actually, I'd go as far to say that our three worst signings are our three most expensive signings. A little harsh on Adam maybe, but he's done absolutely nothing to justify his price tag. Whether that is because he doesn't perform or doesn't play, we cannot hide from the fact that the £25m spent hasn't rewarded us with an instant improvement within the team/squad.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #56: Nov 09, 2014 07:11:58 pm
      Where the damage was really caused was not spending on youth players, but spending large amounts of players who were deemed good, but didn't demand a big wage. Usually the best players demand big wages - it's a pretty standard trend in this sport. Players like Dejan Lovren, Adam Lallana, and Mario Balotelli had really caused us some damage financially. These were the three main signings of Brendan Rodgers, and neither of the three have come good. Actually, I'd go as far to say that our three worst signings are our three most expensive signings. A little harsh on Adam maybe, but he's done absolutely nothing to justify his price tag. Whether that is because he doesn't perform or doesn't play, we cannot hide from the fact that the £25m spent hasn't rewarded us with an instant improvement within the team/squad.

The damage was done by failing to bring in a successful blend of up and coming players and established names. We either bring in inexperienced 'youth players' such as Markovic or 'on their last legs' experienced players, such as Toure. We get one, two at the most years out of the older players which isn't enough time for the younger ones to establish themselves. If we where bringing in 26, 27, 28 year old established talent then that gives us four to six years by which time the 20 year olds will be hitting their prime. Keep a steady stream of that and you have a conveyor belt of talent coming in to the club.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #57: Nov 09, 2014 07:25:15 pm
      Try to have at least reduced the over inflated, ticket prices, for the long suffering fans. Let's face it have not had much to cheer about this season so far. Otherwise scan the globe last summer for one or two top class players.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #58: Nov 09, 2014 07:32:40 pm
      Why we decided to heavily invest in Lazar Markovic was beyond me, but as far as I'm concerned, it was a waste of £20m

Maybe because at age 18 he was ranked no.1 in the top 20 young players in world football and when he transferred to Portugal last summer £20m was the buyout clause in his contract.  Unlike the players you've listed he is a full International and has experience of playing in European competition, something that only Origi now has.  Apart from Suso the others are out on loan as they aren't ready for senior football at this level but they are playing regularly at senior level, something that will help them and us, if and when we decide whether they're good enough to come back and play for us.

Markovic is struggling to adjust to the PL, something that even established stars have suffered from in the past.  It's yet to be seen whether he was a waste of money.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #59: Nov 09, 2014 07:42:55 pm
      Maybe because at age 18 he was ranked no.1 in the top 20 young players in world football and when he transferred to Portugal last summer £20m was the buyout clause in his contract.

Top according to who?

And it begs the question - if we are interested in bringing in a good mix of young talent - maybe we should be buying these players before they get to the £20M buyout stage?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Nov 09, 2014 07:43:29 pm
      2 quality first XI regs. 1 of them a striker. Eg

Sanchez
      Fabregas

Know most didn't want Cesc, probably still don't - but I think he'd have been good. Was lumped in with the 'marque signing' (waste of money) debate.
      Sanchez - given Luis went to Barca, you'd think we'd have had extra leverage - everyone involved in negotiating on our behalf should be reviewing what was done and whether anything could've been done differently to clinch deal next time (not necessarily just another wheelbarrow of cash).

Costa I think Chavs had wrapped up.

Pelle and guys like that - sometimes they work, sometimes not. We missed out on a 'find'.

Imo striker was our big miss. You look at chavs with Costa, Arse with Sanchez, City with Aguero - how many points does a good striker rake in. We had that last season. Don't this. We've other problems sure, but that is our biggest gap.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #61: Nov 09, 2014 07:47:46 pm
      Top according to who?

And it begs the question - if we are interested in bringing in a good mix of young talent - maybe we should be buying these players before they get to the £20M buyout stage?

Can't find it now JD but I read it online last week or maybe the week before. 

I think we have been buying them as there's been plenty come through the Academy but unfortunately for them they weren't pushed enough at the 17/18yr old stage of their development so they're a bit behind at a later age than Markovic.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #62: Nov 09, 2014 08:58:31 pm
      I would have signed,  Adam Lallana,  prem experience, can open defences, score goals etc,
      Albert Moreno,  top class attacking lb, loves to get forward, 
      Lazar Markovic,  this kid has great potential, might need a little more time and a confidence boost,  he'll come good wait and see.!

Emre Can, another who will shine given enough time, very powerful young box 2 box midfielder, can score to, excited about this lad.!

Marco Reus,  top top class this lad. Don't think there isn't a team in Europe won't want this lad, a worldy as they say,

vertonghen, would have got this fella in rather than Lovren,  I know he wasn't a summer move but who F**kin cares it's a fun thread   ;D,

Victor Valdez,  but only after Pepe went,

Bacary sanga,  before we got Manquillo, 
      Prem experience, decent defensively and can get forward, plus, he's better than Glen,

Sanchez, probably but the kunt didn't want to be here so f**k him,

Fabregas,  hell yeah, but the ugly fat kunt went to chavs so f**k him to,

Mario Balotelli,  sh*t on his own, but wait, Studge will bring the best out of him, wait and see,

Just be patient people

YNWA

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2014 09:25:49 pm by JD »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #63: Nov 09, 2014 09:20:28 pm
      Rumour is we dont own Balotelli and he is owned by a third party so we have an option to buy him if not he goes and thats that , not sure how reliable source is .
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #64: Nov 09, 2014 09:25:05 pm
      Rumour is we dont own Balotelli and he is owned by a third party so we have an option to buy him if not he goes and thats that , not sure how reliable source is .

What? Where did you read that nonsense? We bought him for £16 million.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #65: Nov 09, 2014 09:50:59 pm

Like i said its a rumour ie Not Fact. Its come from a bleacher report . We wanted loan they didnt so someone bought the rights so both parties got what they wanted.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #66: Nov 09, 2014 10:09:10 pm
      Can't find it now JD but I read it online last week or maybe the week before. 

I think we have been buying them as there's been plenty come through the Academy but unfortunately for them they weren't pushed enough at the 17/18yr old stage of their development so they're a bit behind at a later age than Markovic.

I do vaguely remember reading Markovic being one of the best youngsters around from various sources.

Personally. I see where CoutinhoRed is coming from. I too feel it was a waste, no matter how talented he is. We shouldn't be paying 20m for a 19 year old, 7m for Alberto & Ilori, Manquillo on loan etc. We should be taking a gamble on OUR youth instead and having that extra faith in our players.

Who's to say Ibe is not as good as Markovic, Alberto better than Suso or Manquillo > Wisdom? etc. Are these young players we pay excess amounts of cash for really as talented as some of our youth players? I personally don't think so. Difference is, they get a lot more opportunities to progress and adapt, that's it for me.

So, I feel the same way as CoutinhoRed, we did waste 20m on Markovic because we had Ibe who impressed immensely in preseason. That 20m could've gone towards a more established CL quality player. It's about now for me, and playing excess amounts for a young potential hoping he'll become a world beater in a couple of years time is wrong :(
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #67: Nov 10, 2014 12:48:03 pm
      Like i said its a rumour ie Not Fact. Its come from a bleacher report . We wanted loan they didnt so someone bought the rights so both parties got what they wanted.

It's just a nonsense rumour mate although I wish it was true. The fact is LFC bought Mario Balotelli off AC Milan for £16 million.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #68: Nov 10, 2014 12:57:53 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2255325-mario-balotellis-contract-and-the-real-reason-liverpool-signed-him-from-milan

Pretty dubious to say the least.... interesting add on was that we tried to use  Remy's medical to reduce Remy's fee.

Quick Reply