Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Glen Johnson: (Liverpool - Roma)

Read 6076 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Glen Johnson: (Liverpool - Roma)
      Nov 16, 2014 03:28:38 pm
      Roma step up bid to sign Glen Johnson on a free transfer from Liverpool
      *Roma keen on bringing in English right back under Bosman ruling
      *Johnson is out of contract at Liverpool at the end of the season
      *Italian side have already signed one English full back in Ashley Cole

Roma are growing confident of wrapping up the Bosman signing of Glen Johnson in January.
      The Liverpool defender is no closer to agreeing terms on a new contract at Anfield and his deal runs out in the summer.
      Roma have not been overly impressed with Ashley Cole since his arrival from Chelsea but believe Johnson has more to offer at 30.

Liverpool have been reluctant to improve Johnson's contract as he is already on around £120,000 a week.
      Roma are happy to pay the wages on Bosman transfers and like the idea Johnson has proved he is able to play in both full-back positions and on the right of midfield.
      Roma are also continuing to monitor striker Wilfried Bony at Swansea who is yet to agree to a new deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2836194/Roma-step-bid-sign-Glen-Johnson-free-transfer-Liverpool.html

Although it is still 45 days 'til the January sales, here is our item for sale, but although it's a freebee, £120,000 a week is not free, is it?

It's like being given a car, but it only gives 10 miles to the gallon.

Will he won't he? but joking aside, it's probably a good move for all.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Glen Johnson: (Liverpool - Roma)
      Reply #1: Nov 17, 2014 01:07:38 am
      Sky also reported Mankini wants Gerrard at Inter during the January sales.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #2: Nov 17, 2014 02:50:23 am
      Sky also reported Mankini wants Gerrard at Inter during the January sales.
      I think a move to Italy would be good for his style. But Inter are in a similar state to us,shouldn't he be retiring on a  high?
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #3: Nov 17, 2014 03:14:49 am
      I think a move to Italy would be good for his style. But Inter are in a similar state to us,shouldn't he be retiring on a  high?
      At least in Italy there won't be players running past him.The slow Italian football will suit him.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #4: Nov 18, 2014 09:10:20 am

At least in Italy there won't be players running past him.The slow Italian football will suit him.

That's fuuking rude - you two.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5: Nov 18, 2014 09:41:58 am
      it's probably a good move for all.
      Can't argue with that Pups; assuming, of course that Flanno will be back fit and raring to go.

Glen's heart doesn't appear to be in it [he's not alone btw] and that, for me, more than any perceived lack of ability, is the reason he should be moved on (dropped in the meantime).
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #6: Nov 18, 2014 11:11:05 am
      Nothing rude in pointing what is fairly obvious.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #7: Nov 19, 2014 06:43:35 am
      Reports are that we are offering him a new contract with reduced wage (60k)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Nov 19, 2014 11:40:31 am
      I used to hate the way he got slagged off even when he played half decent but this season he has really got under my skin.
      £120k a week will go to paying for our new striker
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #9: Nov 19, 2014 12:18:00 pm
      Reports saying he refused the contract and now Rodgers is looking at other options :666: :clap:
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #10: Nov 19, 2014 12:47:04 pm
      I used to hate the way he got slagged off even when he played half decent but this season he has really got under my skin.
      £120k a week will go to paying for our new striker

I don't blame people for slagging him off a £17M fullback on north of £100k a week should be playing more than half-decent. And Glen's been awful defensively since he got here, people would overlook that sometimes because of his attacking play but when that went south Johnson was exposed. Him going to Rome is what's best for all parties the sooner he's gone the better.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #11: Nov 20, 2014 04:51:51 pm
      He needs to go. Offers us nothing.

Heard he doesn't particularly enjoy football and has plenty of other things going on in his life - running small business's etc.

Bring in Clyne.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12: Nov 20, 2014 05:16:07 pm
      Heard he doesn't particularly enjoy football and has plenty of other things going on in his life - running small business's etc.

This made perfect sense until you said he enjoys anything at all to do with running. :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Nov 20, 2014 09:00:10 pm
      Sooner the better! Can't remember a player I wanted gone as much as him. Tired of his crap performances and lack of effort.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #14: Nov 20, 2014 09:24:40 pm
      He needs to go. Offers us nothing.

Bring in Clyne.

We will get rogered for Clyne. Saints won't let him go for less than £30 million. Unless he has a release clause in his current contract. Could be the reason they are so desperate for him to sign a new contract before January.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #15: Nov 21, 2014 09:48:52 am
      We will get rogered for Clyne. Saints won't let him go for less than £30 million. Unless he has a release clause in his current contract. Could be the reason they are so desperate for him to sign a new contract before January.

I think he is under contract until 2016 so they probably want a bit of security.

So I don't think he will go for 30m. Anything around 15-20 I'd guess at the moment. If they refuse bids for him they will only end up pissing him off and he will either go for a cheaper price next season or on a free in 2 years.

Rodgers loves Southampton players but he is the one I would really like to see playing for us.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #16: Nov 21, 2014 10:15:05 am
      I think he is under contract until 2016 so they probably want a bit of security.

So I don't think he will go for 30m. Anything around 15-20 I'd guess at the moment. If they refuse bids for him they will only end up pissing him off and he will either go for a cheaper price next season or on a free in 2 years.

Rodgers loves Southampton players but he is the one I would really like to see playing for us.
      Depends on where we and them finishes ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Nov 21, 2014 03:48:47 pm
      Why are we discussing possible replacements?  We have Flanno, Andre, Ilori and Manquillo who all play RB.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18: Nov 21, 2014 04:27:57 pm
      Why are we discussing possible replacements?  We have Flanno, Andre, Ilori and Manquillo who all play RB.

Exactly!  I want to see Flanno & Wisdom fight for that #2 spot next season :)

Can't see Manquillo staying after his 2 year loan spell. I really think he'll go back after we nurtured him (ie. game time).
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Nov 21, 2014 04:31:25 pm
      Exactly!  I want to see Flanno & Wisdom fight for that #2 spot next season :)

Can't see Manquillo staying after his 2 year loan spell. I really think he'll go back after we nurtured him (ie. game time).

If he's here for two years it's because we've already signed him next summer mate, that's how the deal was set up I believe.  They either want him back after a season or he's ours if we want him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #20: Nov 21, 2014 05:24:09 pm
      If he's here for two years it's because we've already signed him next summer mate, that's how the deal was set up I believe.  They either want him back after a season or he's ours if we want him.

Oh, so end of the season, If Atletico doesn't take him back, we'll have him for a 2nd season on loan with the option of signing him permanently, regardless If Atletico want him back?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #21: Nov 21, 2014 05:30:16 pm
      Oh, so end of the season, If Atletico doesn't take him back, we'll have him for a 2nd season on loan with the option of signing him permanently, regardless If Atletico want him back?

Yeah basically they have to decide at the end of this season but we have another season to make our decision.  They have no say after next summer.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #22: Nov 21, 2014 09:16:27 pm
      Been a big fan of Glen over the years but he really does look past it. Just too many errors now. Wouldn't be against selling him on but only if we can bring in a quality replacement to be first choice.

As for who that replacement may be, I'd go for Piszczek or, more realistically, Nat Clyne. He reminds me of Glen in his prime except he seems to be able to actually defend.

Quick Reply