Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Are our players nasty enough?

Read 4488 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Are our players nasty enough?
      Nov 18, 2014 02:46:51 pm
      Apologies for if this seems like a dud debating point, if a debating point at all, but do our players have enough grit and determination to become successful?

If you look at us two seasons ago, we were rewarded with a Europa League spot by means of being the fairest team in Europe. In other words, our players committed the least amount of points in terms of commiting fouls, yellow and red cards (correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I have interpreted it).

At the same time, and especially last season, we had a player who was regarded as one of the best players in the world. He was also regarded as a nasty piece of work who defenders quite clearly, hated to play against. That's Luis Suarez. From watching him, he'd kick defenders, leave his foot in, and basically do anything to make his presence felt. As a defender, would you fancy your chances against him? I know I wouldn't. I could always kick him, but would I get one back twice as hard? That would be my worry. Even if I didn't kick him, would this player still end up kicking chunks out of me? Personally I wouldn't want to hold the responsibility of marking a player like him for 90 minutes. His football skills aside, is that something we are truly lacking throughout the team?

It's like the Arsenal of old vs the Arsenal of new. You'd fancy yourself against their current set of players when lining up in the tunnel. They are soft, lightweight and can be got at. No doubt they are incredibly talented footballers (that is for all to see), but they can be roughed up. Now try to rough up the likes of Adams, Keown, or even Vieira. Either they'd give you a kick back, or one of their team mates would.

A few weeks ago we got schooled by Real Madrid at Anfield. It wasn't the scoreline that upset me, but the lack of grit we showed throughout that game. We didn't do what British teams are or were once upon a time renowned for - getting in their faces and playing dirty. Instead we let the smallest man on the field, Isco, bully the likes of Henderson and Lallana. The only grit we did show were from our smallest two players - Coutinho and Sterling.

No wonder teams look so confident when they are up against us. Time to man up a little?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Are our players nasty enough?
      Reply #1: Nov 18, 2014 02:49:51 pm
      Apologies for if this seems like a dud debating point, if a debating point at all, but do our players have enough grit and determination to become successful?

If you look at us two seasons ago, we were rewarded with a Europa League spot by means of being the fairest team in Europe. In other words, our players committed the least amount of points in terms of commiting fouls, yellow and red cards (correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I have interpreted it).

At the same time, and especially last season, we had a player who was regarded as one of the best players in the world. He was also regarded as a nasty piece of work who defenders quite clearly, hated to play against. That's Luis Suarez. From watching him, he'd kick defenders, leave his foot in, and basically do anything to make his presence felt. As a defender, would you fancy your chances against him? I know I wouldn't. I could always kick him, but would I get one back twice as hard? That would be my worry. Even if I didn't kick him, would this player still end up kicking chunks out of me? Personally I wouldn't want to hold the responsibility of marking a player like him for 90 minutes. His football skills aside, is that something we are truly lacking throughout the team?

It's like the Arsenal of old vs the Arsenal of new. You'd fancy yourself against their current set of players when lining up in the tunnel. They are soft, lightweight and can be got at. No doubt they are incredibly talented footballers (that is for all to see), but they can be roughed up. Now try to rough up the likes of Adams, Keown, or even Vieira. Either they'd give you a kick back, or one of their team mates would.

A few weeks ago we got schooled by Real Madrid at Anfield. It wasn't the scoreline that upset me, but the lack of grit we showed throughout that game. We didn't do what British teams are or were once upon a time renowned for - getting in their faces and playing dirty. Instead we let the smallest man on the field, Isco, bully the likes of Henderson and Lallana. The only grit we did show were from our smallest two players - Coutinho and Sterling.

No wonder teams look so confident when they are up against us. Time to man up a little?

I would rather we started out playing teams by playing decent football rather than going down the Stoke route.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #2: Nov 18, 2014 02:59:11 pm
      I don't think we've got ANY "nasty" players.

And almost no one with a winners mentality.
      Gerrard had it, but is a has been now.
      Sterling shows something has rubbed off from Luis, altho he's nowhere near the finished article.

Compare Reina and Mignolet. Or Masch vs any of our midfielders.

Almost NO long term experience. And hardly any winners. We compete as also rans. As a self confessed "feeder club", matches are like a permanent shop window for some players these days.

Its a team that flatters to deceive. I think Coutinho is illustrative of that. Skill yes, consistency no, all consuming hunger and desire to win - nope.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Nov 18, 2014 03:04:59 pm
      I would rather we started out playing teams by playing decent football rather than going down the Stoke route.

You do not have to go down the Stoke route. It's about creating that fine balance between being a gritty player yet a talented one.

Nigel De Jong is a great example of that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4: Nov 18, 2014 03:07:29 pm
      You do not have to go down the Stoke route. It's about creating that fine balance between being a gritty player yet a talented one.

Nigel De Jong is a great example of that.

De Jong is a yard dog you would get sick of him pretty quickly with his constant fouling.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Nov 18, 2014 03:30:23 pm
      Our side lacks "balls" when we do come up against a physical side we can be bowled over.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #6: Nov 18, 2014 03:34:49 pm
      I don't know if it's being "nasty" as it is being unafraid to make a tackle, which our midfield has been atrocious at doing this season. (Compare tackling figures of Gerrard/Henderson/Allen/Can/Lucas vs those of Schneiderlin and Wanyama, for example.) I'd much rather see us win the ball via pressing than flying in with tackles all over the place. We had someone like Shelvey doing that and it was more a detriment than a benefit, as it is for Swansea.

That said, there are times when you need a HUGE tackle and Flanagan's tackle on Soldado is a good example. Hard but clean.

It's unsporting play, but part of me wished someone would've gone in hard (but clean) on Ronaldo at Anfield. Maybe that would have caused him to think twice the next time he played us.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #7: Nov 18, 2014 03:35:15 pm
      Our side lacks "balls" when we do come up against a physical side we can be bowled over.

My concern is when we come up against a side that is both more physical and skilful than ours. Real Madrid and Chelsea spring to mind. We have to fight if we cannot play, and if we cannot fight or play, then what chance do we stand?

Yes it is balls. Any player has the ability to play a little dirty, but it's also a thing you learn by playing with gritty team mates day in and day out.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #8: Nov 18, 2014 03:44:37 pm
      Get Tommy 'the Anfield iron' Smith down to Melwood to give the boys a few tips on being as hard as F***ing nails and rolling over the opposition, taking no prisoners and being a F***ing animal in general.
      Just make sure he tells the soche and they don't collar him again for giving it one of them.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Nov 18, 2014 03:53:55 pm
      My concern is when we come up against a side that is both more physical and skilful than ours. Real Madrid and Chelsea spring to mind. We have to fight if we cannot play, and if we cannot fight or play, then what chance do we stand?

Yes it is balls. Any player has the ability to play a little dirty, but it's also a thing you learn by playing with gritty team mates day in and day out.

they need to "man up" especially at the moment
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10: Nov 18, 2014 04:04:20 pm
      Oldham game.

Proof enough.

Costa : The one that got away. That was Luis' replacement.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Nov 18, 2014 04:32:11 pm
      As if we don't get unfairly penalised by Referees and the FA enough, we now need to get nasty?  We'd end up with 8 or 9 men on the pitch with a couple of retrospective bans wait in the wings.  That would really help us.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #12: Nov 18, 2014 05:38:32 pm
      As if we don't get unfairly penalised by Referees and the FA enough, we now need to get nasty?  We'd end up with 8 or 9 men on the pitch with a couple of retrospective bans wait in the wings.  That would really help us.

Maybe I used the wrong words in the title, but the point I have made is that we do need to toughen up a bit. Show a little more grit and determination, fight for every ball as if our life depended on it and put a little more oomph behind our challenges. I'm not advocating challenges that would warrant retrospective bans or straight red cards, but I am advocating a little more heart and desire in both aerial and ground duels. Let your opponent know that he's going to go home tonight with a few bruises.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Nov 18, 2014 05:48:51 pm
      Maybe I used the wrong words in the title, but the point I have made is that we do need to toughen up a bit. Show a little more grit and determination, fight for every ball as if our life depended on it and put a little more oomph behind our challenges. I'm not advocating challenges that would warrant retrospective bans or straight red cards, but I am advocating a little more heart and desire in both aerial and ground duels. Let your opponent know that he's going to go home tonight with a few bruises.

I get what you're saying mate but we can't even pass to each other at the moment, so maybe that needs working on first.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #14: Nov 18, 2014 06:14:27 pm
      It's what I say to my family every week, we need a c**t in the team. Someone who will won't hold back, especially in midfield. The amount of times you see our players back out of challenges or panic around opposite players is scary.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #15: Nov 18, 2014 06:45:42 pm
      I get what you're saying mate but we can't even pass to each other at the moment, so maybe that needs working on first.

I think he has a point here though.   nasty is a bit too extreme and implies a negative mentality on the players. 

I personally would use the word desire.  luis had that and at times you can see his desire blanket the rest of the team and urge them forward.  most obvious was the game a couple years ago when we were in Europa and ultimately lost out to zenith.  we had clawed back a couple goals.. the lfc team in the last few minutes shifted to neutral while luis wanted them to keep going at full pace to get another goal.  he was devastated from that.   

desire also plays in fast decisions during play.  the 50/50 tackles, the extra run down the lane, the look for the quick pass and play, it filters to everything that is going bad right now.  bad decisions, bad passes, bad everything. 

I made a point in another thread that I will say again.  I cannot think of one important statistic (eg shots on goal / per game... critical passes etc) that we are better this year vs last.  I seriously cannot think of one.... we have regressed in all aspects of our game.  but we have really only lost a couple key players.. yes these two are important but imo the issue is in the head.  and this goes back the to 'nasty' comment.  nasty, toughen up,.... desire to win at all cost?

We lack character... and that as a lifelong LFC fan, is what makes watching us currently so hard to stomach
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #16: Nov 18, 2014 06:49:23 pm
      Not a dud post - an absolutely CRUCIAL post.

This is exactly what we have been lacking under Brendan - apart from when Suarez was here we lack game intelligence, balls, gamesmanship and cynicism. A big part of that is the culture of the club recently, part is Brendan, part is due to teh new players and a big part is due to the captain.

Instead of moaning about Mourinho's teams for example we should be learning from them.

We can play good football and win the league if we are canny but we will have to play stellar football to win it and play like a bunch of naive schoolgirls at the same time.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Nov 18, 2014 06:54:58 pm
      I think he has a point here though.   nasty is a bit too extreme and implies a negative mentality on the players. 

I personally would use the word desire.  luis had that and at times you can see his desire blanket the rest of the team and urge them forward.  most obvious was the game a couple years ago when we were in Europa and ultimately lost out to zenith.  we had clawed back a couple goals.. the lfc team in the last few minutes shifted to neutral while luis wanted them to keep going at full pace to get another goal.  he was devastated from that.   

desire also plays in fast decisions during play.  the 50/50 tackles, the extra run down the lane, the look for the quick pass and play, it filters to everything that is going bad right now.  bad decisions, bad passes, bad everything. 

I made a point in another thread that I will say again.  I cannot think of one important statistic (eg shots on goal / per game... critical passes etc) that we are better this year vs last.  I seriously cannot think of one.... we have regressed in all aspects of our game.  but we have really only lost a couple key players.. yes these two are important but imo the issue is in the head.  and this goes back the to 'nasty' comment.  nasty, toughen up,.... desire to win at all cost?

We lack character... and that as a lifelong LFC fan, is what makes watching us currently so hard to stomach

I'm not disagreeing mate, I'm saying that there are other things we need to sort out first.  As you've said, get the rhythm back, the confidence back, the goals back, the passing back, the pressing back, the winning back then the passion and desire will be there.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18: Nov 18, 2014 07:04:26 pm
      I'm not disagreeing mate, I'm saying that there are other things we need to sort out first.  As you've said, get the rhythm back, the confidence back, the goals back, the passing back, the pressing back, the winning back then the passion and desire will be there.

I agree with all this, but I have no idea how BR can plan for (for example) Henderson not only being jaded after a hectic summer, but also carrying little knocks and niggles.
      Henderson last season was very nearly as crucial to us as Suarez and at the moment he looks a shadow of that player.
      He was the catalyst for our pressing game who others looked to, for when to press.
      We're missing last seasons Henderson badly.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #19: Nov 18, 2014 07:05:35 pm
      I think the thread points out, we have not got a so called "hard man" in the side like a Tommy Smith or a Ron Yeats, who where the corner stone of the sides in the sixties. Unfortunately the  physical side of the game is rightly or wrongly, clamped down on by refs up and down the country.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Nov 18, 2014 07:07:49 pm
      I agree with all this, but I have no idea how BR can plan for (for example) Henderson not only being jaded after a hectic summer, but also carrying little knocks and niggles.
      Henderson last season was very nearly as crucial to us as Suarez and at the moment he looks a shadow of that player.
      He was the catalyst for our pressing game who others looked to, for when to press.

We're missing nearly all of last seasons players Swab.  They're still in the team but a shadow of how they were.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #21: Nov 18, 2014 07:14:25 pm

Looks like all the sides with players involved at the world cup have been having difficulties - apart from Chelsea.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #22: Nov 18, 2014 07:18:00 pm
      Looks like all the sides with players involved at the world cup have been having difficulties - apart from Chelsea.

Mourinho doesn't train his players very hard. Allegedly.
      It came as a shock to Inter players when Rafa wanted them to actually do some work.

No idea how true this is, but it seems plausible.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #23: Nov 18, 2014 09:19:23 pm
      I think the thread points out, we have not got a so called "hard man" in the side like a Tommy Smith or a Ron Yeats, who where the corner stone of the sides in the sixties. Unfortunately the  physical side of the game is rightly or wrongly, clamped down on by refs up and down the country.

Correct David.. The game has changed so much.. players go down like a sack of spuds at the first opportunity and it's only the sharp eyed ref's that clock it and they're a rarity...
      Now and again you get a decent ref that allows a bit of passion and commitment and the game flows and is played in good spirit.. Ive seen loads over the years with maybe one booking and a cracking game of footy..
      There's commitment and there's nasty.. big difference..
      Gone are the days of having a Souness , Case or Smith in our side as they'd spend more time suspended than on the pitch..
      Skill and goals come from being a balanced footballer..
      You don't have to work out in the gym and look more like a rugby player to win football matches..
      Messi,Lady Boy,Suarez,Neymar,Augero,Costa... all have balance and an eye for goal..not a big frame/build ..
      Henderson was the only player who got a red card the whole of last season in a red shirt and even that was a bit harsh..
      Meanwhile Gerrard,Suarez,Sturridge and Sterling between them ,scored 79 goals..
      Look how close we came...
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #24: Nov 18, 2014 11:25:58 pm
      this has been our problem for many years although there are bigger issues right now. once the football is rolling it doesn't matter how aggressive we are because we will be winning anyway. some 'steel in the midfield' has been an obvious need for ages, but I mean we just have to see our mids play with each other and start playing some good football first.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25: Nov 18, 2014 11:31:07 pm
      Quite simply, no.

Brendan seems to have a certain type of player he favours, he's big on work-rate and technical ability but physical attributes seem to much lower on his list of priorities. Along with that an aggressive streak (as we're almost petrified of tackling) is something I think he frowns upon.

In many ways I believe Brendan sees tackling as a last resort, much like what Alonso said but when you don't tackle you can project weakness and vulnerability which I believe we do. Can does appear to be an exception to that and I'm hoping he can develop into a Yaya Toure type but the lad is only 20 years old, asking him or any of our new recruits to step in and seize the moment when things get physical is a weight of expectation they wouldn't normally have to shoulder.

Nasty doesn't mean we're out to hurt people in my book, it means if you're coming looking for a fight then we aren't backing down an inch, push us and we'll push back twice as hard. I don't think we have many of those characters around and we could use a couple right about now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #26: Nov 18, 2014 11:50:16 pm

Simple as that Luke.

And to be honest we've been like this for a long time now give or take the odd player here and there.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #27: Nov 19, 2014 12:24:51 am
      Wouldn't mind having one guy that would be willing to go nose to nose with anyone.

We had a shot at someone like that a couple summers back....Clint Dempsey. I really feel we missed out on a player that would have fit what we needed very well. Hard worker, tough as nails, NEVER backs down from a good fight but is smart enough to stay out of trouble.

I think Can can do a job for us but he is young and seems prone to a petulant action here and there. Still like what he brings though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #28: Nov 19, 2014 12:26:54 am
      Wouldn't mind having one guy that would be willing to go nose to nose with anyone.

We had a shot at someone like that a couple summers back....Clint Dempsey. I really feel we missed out on a player that would have fit what we needed very well. Hard worker, tough as nails, NEVER backs down from a good fight but is smart enough to stay out of trouble.

I think Can can do a job for us but he is young and seems prone to a petulant action here and there. Still like what he brings though.

Don't get me started on Clint FL.

Believe it or not I'm still pissed we didn't sign him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #29: Nov 19, 2014 12:30:10 am
      Don't get me started on Clint FL.

Believe it or not I'm still pissed we didn't sign him.

Yep...everytime I watch him play for the national team (and even in MLS) I can't believe we didn't just pay the extra bit to get him. His game has actually improved since we were looking at him. He seems to get better with age.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #30: Nov 19, 2014 12:34:25 am
      Yep...everytime I watch him play for the national team (and even in MLS) I can't believe we didn't just pay the extra bit to get him. His game has actually improved since we were looking at him. He seems to get better with age.

He's just what Brendan needed back then.

Strong, physical, good technique, experienced, play numerous postions, gets goals etc etc.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #31: Nov 19, 2014 02:12:24 am
      I'm not sure nasty is the correct term but it's easy to see that we lack physically in nearly every area of the pitch. I look at our midfield and no one stands out as a typical "enforcer" type. The best players we have that can do the job imo are Lucas & Can however Lucas is out of favour and while Can will grow into the role over time he's not there yet.

In defence we have Skrtel who will have a go but only after being riled up.

Looking at our players now compared to players we had a few years ago the difference in mindset it easy to see.

Alonso
      Dirk Kuyt
      Carra
      Reina
      Mascherano
      Hypia

Every single one of those players were more than able to hold their own in any physical battle and quite frankly how we didn't win the league with those players still makes my head hurt.

I look at our current players and I see a lot of very talented players but no one that will take a game by the scruff of the neck and fight to win. To be fair to our players most are still young but I have serious doubts about the attitude of some. This is why "soccernomics" can't work as you can't have a numerical value to show somebodys desire.

Look at Dirk Kuyt he wasn't the most gifted player to grace Anfield but whenever he put on our shirt you almost felt sorry for the player marking him because you knew he'd run anyone into the ground.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #32: Nov 19, 2014 06:30:56 am
      I can see some of the players we have now evolving into fighters, with class, not just scrappers. Wouldn't it be such a Liverpool story if guys like Allen and Borini became mainstays of the XI and put a shift in every 90 minutes that makes even the angriest of supporters proud?

What better way to learn how to be a fighter then coming through the team fighting? With a bunch of other young fighters too? Honestly, would you rather bring in an "enforcer" for 20mil and put it all on him to be the "steel" in the midfield.. or would you rather a bunch of kids rise through the ranks as Reds and learn how to fight for the shirt by playing in it, through thick and thin?

Does anyone posting on here have the patience any more to watch a young team rise to the top? I think the runners up position of last season made a lot of us even less patient..
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #33: Nov 19, 2014 06:36:48 am

Yes!. Sack Rodgers, bring in Tony Pulis. ;)
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #34: Nov 19, 2014 02:10:25 pm
      Does anyone posting on here have the patience any more to watch a young team rise to the top? I think the runners up position of last season made a lot of us even less patient..

Sorry for cutting your post but I think this is a very good question.

I'm all for bringing youth through a team but I think we've gone about it the wrong way. Youth players performances can vary greatly from game to game. For example look at Raheem and Coutinho, both on their day can be fantastic footballers that will put many older players to shame but you don't win the league in a single game and consistency is key. Consistency is what turns good players into great players and unfortunatly for us it's generally something that a player develops as he reaches his peak. I've no doubt that we have players capable of becoming consistent solid performers in the future but at this moment in time we have no one that is 100% reliable. Simply put I think the average age of the squad is too low.

As for being less patient I think it's more a case of desperation and anxiety I know that for me I'm desperate for us to stay competetive (top 4 at least) but i'm worried that because we are lacking consistent performers we could finish absolutely anywhere.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #35: Nov 19, 2014 02:31:09 pm
      Not sure nasty is the right word, mental toughness however is something I think we've seen lacking in a lot of our players or only seen sporadically in some for a long, long time.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #36: Nov 19, 2014 02:40:53 pm
      Hamman Wasn't dirty neither was Sami or even Jamie but they were respected by the opposition and they would never ever back out unlike Lovren did a week or so ago.
      they just need to man up and support each other.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Nov 19, 2014 05:19:14 pm
      Our defense is pretty nasty.
      More ruthless bas**rds would be welcome.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Nov 19, 2014 10:19:38 pm
      Think if he had some guys scoring goals, we wouldn't need to go gangsta.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #39: Nov 21, 2014 07:43:59 am
      I can see some of the players we have now evolving into fighters, with class, not just scrappers. Wouldn't it be such a Liverpool story if guys like Allen and Borini became mainstays of the XI and put a shift in every 90 minutes that makes even the angriest of supporters proud?

What better way to learn how to be a fighter then coming through the team fighting? With a bunch of other young fighters too? Honestly, would you rather bring in an "enforcer" for 20mil and put it all on him to be the "steel" in the midfield.. or would you rather a bunch of kids rise through the ranks as Reds and learn how to fight for the shirt by playing in it, through thick and thin?

It's just not going to happen. Let's face it in terms of having that fighting, battling spirit either you're born with it, you were moulded by circumstances or in rare cases you're coached into that kind of spirit.

*We don't fill any of those 3 criterion. Players like Souness, Bremner, Keane, Vieira and maybe even Dempsey (seeing as someone already mentioned him) are born  battlers it's in their nature for the most part I doubt they could even help it and they wouldn't be able to change even if they wanted to. You look around our dressing room and there aren't many natural born fighters. There's probably only Sakho and he's most likely in Brendan's bad books following the derby against Everton.

* We have a bunch of academy trained and cultured players on our team. Raheem most likely wasn't fighting on the streets of London growing up like Luis was in Montevideo. Players like Luis, Masch, Tevez,  Costa had no choice but to get scrappy if they wanted to succeed they're street footballers they had to get used to kicking and getting kicked in order to survive. Joe Allen isn't going to justwake up one morning and decide that he's just going to start leaving his foot in whenever he challenges for the ball. As a matter of fact Joe Allen isn't going to just wake up one morning and decide to start challenging for the ball.

* And finally our team isn't going to just grow into a bunch of fighters because it's not being coached into them. Teams generally take after the personality of their manager/coach just look at Atletico Madrid. They scrape and battle and claw for every ball, every goal and every decision because that's how Simeone was as a player and how he is as a human being. Brendan isn't like that and he isn't going to cultivate a fighting culture in the team because then he wouldn't have the level of control he wants. In the past 2 years leaders like Kuyt, Pepe, Danny and Carra, people with the necessary mental toughness, have all either left the club or been pushed out of the club by Brendan and he's replaced them all with guys who are willing to learn or be "educated" as he likes to say. People can say but Balotelli's a big character but in all honesty he isn't he's just another Anelka when the going gets tough he sulks. Balotelli isn't going to barge into Brendan's office and tell him his tactics are sh*te or demand more from him like Keane did with that whisky loving son of a bi*ch.And if he did Brendan would ship him out ASAP. That's just how Brendan likes it he wants to create this headmaster/student relationship with the players.And that's all well and good when everything's going your way but if you're in the trenches would you rather have a Simeone type of person fighting beside you or commanding you or would you want a guy who fancies himself a teacher or philosopher?

The only way we're going to develop that steel within the club is if we actively start signing players with that sort of personality or Brendan has a drastic change in his personality or we get someone in like Diego Simeone. But otherwise our players aren't just going to magically grow into fighters, no matter how much time you give them. In a few years we could have the most technically proficient team in the league that's possible but will we become a team of fighters with the way we conduct transfers and with Brendan in charge? No chance.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #40: Nov 21, 2014 07:58:30 am
      I think every defence/midfield should have a Souness Tommy Smith type player as an enforcer if and when required. It might surprise some to know that our beloved Bob Paisley was no pushover when he played for us. Another player I loved to watch was the late Roy Saunders (Dean Saunders Dad),he would get flattened by someone and he would get up with a big grin on his face and get stuck into the opposition. I will finish by saying every team should have an enforcer.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #41: Nov 21, 2014 09:36:23 am
      Mourinho doesn't train his players very hard. Allegedly.
      It came as a shock to Inter players when Rafa wanted them to actually do some work.

No idea how true this is, but it seems plausible.

Interesting! Have to say Mourinhos sides rarely look short of fitness -wonder what he is doing differently?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #42: Nov 21, 2014 09:41:16 am
      Interesting! Have to say Mourinhos sides rarely look short of fitness -wonder what he is doing differently?

We look a bit short of fitness in comparison because Rodgers fitness regime is all about coming strong in the second half of the season. So I would expect to see us kick on after Christmas as other teams look tired cf to us.
      I would imagine this is not the way Maureen sets his teams up.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #43: Nov 21, 2014 10:00:24 am
      What do you mean by nasty? Getting stuck in, giving fouls away, upsetting the other team? Where we nasty enough last season?

Look at Pep Guardiola's Barca team. One of the best sides ever. It was a team full of midgets with no physical presence at all.

Working hard, pressing, ball possession and playing with plenty of energy and pace will wear the opposition out. We don't have to kick lumps out of everybody we play.

From January onwards our team would have beaten any side in the league comfortably. Bad tactics and losing our heads cost us at the final hurdle. Not because we weren't 'nasty'.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #44: Nov 21, 2014 10:23:22 am
      I don't think we need an enforcer or our players to start kicking lumps out of the opposition. I do think we need players of character, that will stand up and be counted when things aren't going our way. I think we have a few too many players that play well when things are going our way and confidence is high, but who go into their shells when the team is struggling rather than fighting to change things.

Over the last few years we have lost a lot of big characters and while we have brought in some excellent players we seem to have lost a little of the fight against adversity type players and have too many players who seem to just accept it an inevitable when we struggle.

BigMick said in another thread that we have too many players who need the team to play well before they can (or words to that effect), I think he was right.

I remember Emlyn Hughes saying that Tommy Smith was the best Captain he ever played with because no matter how bad Tommy was playing he would still encourage and drive the team on, while Emlyn admitted that sometimes if he himself was playing badly that he would become very quiet and withdrawn.       
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 10:37:06 am by s@int »
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #45: Nov 21, 2014 11:37:22 am
      What do you mean by nasty? Getting stuck in, giving fouls away, upsetting the other team? Where we nasty enough last season?

Look at Pep Guardiola's Barca team. One of the best sides ever. It was a team full of midgets with no physical presence at all.

Working hard, pressing, ball possession and playing with plenty of energy and pace will wear the opposition out. We don't have to kick lumps out of everybody we play.

From January onwards our team would have beaten any side in the league comfortably. Bad tactics and losing our heads cost us at the final hurdle. Not because we weren't 'nasty'.

;D Mourinho was right about Barcelona - they were a team of cheats. So were Madrid but Barca were much more sneaky about it, plus they always tried to maintain a moral high ground because of their passing play. Nasty in this context refers to gamesmanship.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2012/04/06/will-barcelona-be-remembered-as-champions-or-cheats/

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/real-madrid’s-jose-mourinho-is-right-barcelona-are-diving-cheats/

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #46: Nov 21, 2014 11:48:14 am
      ;D Mourinho was right about Barcelona - they were a team of cheats. So were Madrid but Barca were much more sneaky about it, plus they always tried to maintain a moral high ground because of their passing play. Nasty in this context refers to gamesmanship.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2012/04/06/will-barcelona-be-remembered-as-champions-or-cheats/

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/real-madrid’s-jose-mourinho-is-right-barcelona-are-diving-cheats/

Couldn't give a sh*t about what Mourinho says about anything so won't bother reading any of that.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #47: Nov 21, 2014 12:02:50 pm
      That's your perogative mate but he clearly knows more than you or I about the game so I'm always happy to educate myself further whatever my views of him as an individual are.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #48: Nov 21, 2014 12:06:59 pm
      When I think of our squad, 2 players stand out for me as being able to dominate the midfield: Henderson (on form) and Can.
      Both are good on the ball, Henderson is a decent passer and is excellent at pressing (when on form), and Can has the ability and strength to plow a furrow through the opposition midfield.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #49: Nov 21, 2014 01:13:55 pm
      The other question we aren't producing these dominant kinds of players through our academy.

We seem to churn out smaller technical players by the handful.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #50: Nov 21, 2014 01:21:39 pm
      The other question we aren't producing these dominant kinds of players through our academy.

That's what Brendan likes.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #51: Nov 21, 2014 02:29:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that comes from Rafa's time in charge, and the people he put in place at the academy, although having said that Ibe is a beast of a lad.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #52: Nov 21, 2014 02:36:05 pm
      Big, strong, athletic and can really play.
      Is this what we're missing, or can Can become a similar type player for us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIlhThByvQ
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #53: Nov 21, 2014 04:01:08 pm
      I'm pretty sure that comes from Rafa's time in charge, and the people he put in place at the academy, although having said that Ibe is a beast of a lad.

He is. But as I remember Rafa was a believer in physicality and brought through the likes of Wisdom, Kelly, Plessis etc.

I wonder whether we have tried to adopt the Barca model just as it is going out of vogue.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #54: Nov 21, 2014 04:24:20 pm
      He is. But as I remember Rafa was a believer in physicality and brought through the likes of Wisdom, Kelly, Plessis etc.

I wonder whether we have tried to adopt the Barca model just as it is going out of vogue.

Perhaps, as previously discussed, he was a believer in balance?

For me, chelsea have a nearly perfect balance, and it's just a shame that Mourinho uses them so ineffectively relative to the footballing talent he oversees. By that I mean his penchant for sitting deep and playing counter attacking football almost exclusively, when in my opinion, with the players he has, he should be dominating games a lot more.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #55: Nov 21, 2014 04:38:50 pm
      Perhaps, as previously discussed, he was a believer in balance?

For me, chelsea have a nearly perfect balance, and it's just a shame that Mourinho uses them so ineffectively relative to the footballing talent he oversees. By that I mean his penchant for sitting deep and playing counter attacking football almost exclusively, when in my opinion, with the players he has, he should be dominating games a lot more.

Yes, I think part of that came from his experience though which Brendan is accruing.

rafa considered and rejected the 1433 for the 14231 shortly after arriving and made sure to incrrease the physicality and height in the team when we was able to - bringing in the like of Rein, Sissoko, Crouch in 2005. I think that Brendan is undergoing a similar process now.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #56: Nov 21, 2014 04:48:45 pm
      Yes, I think part of that came from his experience though which Brendan is accruing.

rafa considered and rejected the 1433 for the 14231 shortly after arriving and made sure to incrrease the physicality and height in the team when we was able to - bringing in the like of Rein, Sissoko, Crouch in 2005. I think that Brendan is undergoing a similar process now.

True.
      My main concern is whether BR can learn from his mistakes.
      He appears a little hit and miss in that department at the moment, but I think he's intelligent enough to improve, and not as egotistical as some imagine him to be.
      Naive is a word that sometimes comes to mind when dissecting the various pitfalls he has to navigate through as manager of a top club.

Quick Reply