Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.

Read 19670 times
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Re: May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.
      Reply #115: Jan 01, 2015 01:10:48 am
      I'm sorry, lads, but who the heck is that Dunlop .............. lad? Is he just regular mad? Or is he absolutely, totally mad? I go for the latter.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.
      Reply #116: Jan 01, 2015 01:26:00 am
      I'm sorry, lads, but who the heck is that Dunlop .............. lad? Is he just regular mad? Or is he absolutely, totally mad? I go for the latter.

show some respect

lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #117: Jan 01, 2015 01:27:32 am

Me and Billy usually don't see eye to eye on many things, but if he's defined as mad, it has to be Liverpool mad. One of the most respected posters on the forum.

And in this case, I actually agree with most of what he's said in his post, ironically.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #118: Jan 01, 2015 01:30:25 am
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #119: Jan 01, 2015 01:48:09 am
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #120: Jan 01, 2015 02:04:35 am

Billy Dunlop was a player who played for Liverpool between 1895 and 1909, racking up an impressive 363 games for the club in that time.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #121: Jan 01, 2015 02:13:26 am
      Billy Dunlop was a player who played for Liverpool between 1895 and 1909, racking up an impressive 363 games for the club in that time.

Are you for real? Do me favour and explain to me who Shankly is.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #122: Jan 01, 2015 02:18:59 am

Act like a tit and get treated like a tit perhaps?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #123: Jan 01, 2015 02:45:04 am

You don't know who Shankly is? Sure you're a Red lad?

Anyway, just to give you the heads up. Bill Shankly was Liverpool manager from 1959 to 1974. He replaced former manager Phil Taylor, who'd previously captained the club as well. He joined us from Huddersfield when we languishing in the second division. Under Shanks though, we made the transition into the top flight after winning the old second division in 1962.

It didn't take long for the man from Glenbuck (that's in Scotland) to make us challenge in the old Division 1 either. And only two years back at the top division where we were champions in 1963/64. Shankly led his team to our very first FA Cup in 1965 and followed that up with the League Title again in 1966. During that time we also got the semi final of the European Cup in 65 where we cheated by Inter Milan and the ref and in 66 got all the way to the old Cup Winner's Cup final but ultimately lost to Dortmund.

The League Title in 66 was the last piece of silverwear we won under Shanks until 1973. But thankfully in those days fans and board members alike were a lot more patient with managers and didn't call for their heads if they went a year without winning anything. During the baron spell, Shanks built his second great side though. So anyway, 1973 rolled along and we won the League again. (that's three times if you're able to count) And eventually Shanks managed to get his hands on the elusive European trophy when we won, what was then known as, the UEFA Cup in 73 against Borussia Monchengladbach (who ironically were our first opponents in a European Cup final too four years later when Shanks' assistant Bob Paisley was in charge)

Shankly would have one last success with the club with the 1974 FA Cup, leading to the commentator uttering those immortal words Keegan two, Heighway one, Liverpool three, Newcastle none. At the time though, no Liverpool fan knew that would be the last game Shanks would take charge of. And even when he retired in the summer, some fans couldn't believe it. One fan even responded to the reporter telling him with the famous Scouse reply of "you're 'avin' me on."

Shanks would pass on the reigns to Bob Paisley, his assistant for many years. And that was the first transition from boot room member to boot room member. The boot room was another of Shankly's wonderful additions to this great club. It involved himself, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan (who would also go onto manage the club) Ronnie Moran (who held almost every position imaginable within the club) eventually Roy Evans (who would also go onto manage the club) and maybe the forgotten man Reuben Bennett, who was a tremendous coach but never went onto manage the club.

Anything else you need to know, just let us know. Always happy to educate the lesser knowledgeable fan.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #124: Jan 01, 2015 02:50:01 am
      You don't know who Shankly is? Sure you're a Red lad?

Anyway, just to give you the heads up. Bill Shankly was Liverpool manager from 1959 to 1974. He replaced former manager Phil Taylor, who'd previously captained the club as well. He joined us from Huddersfield when we languishing in the second division. Under Shanks though, we made the transition into the top flight after winning the old second division in 1962.

It didn't take long for the man from Glenbuck (that's in Scotland) to make us challenge in the old Division 1 either. And only two years back at the top division where we were champions in 1963/64. Shankly led his team to our very first FA Cup in 1965 and followed that up with the League Title again in 1966. During that time we also got the semi final of the European Cup in 65 where we cheated by Inter Milan and the ref and in 66 got all the way to the old Cup Winner's Cup final but ultimately lost to Dortmund.

The League Title in 66 was the last piece of silverwear we won under Shanks until 1973. But thankfully in those days fans and board members alike were a lot more patient with managers and didn't call for their heads if they went a year without winning anything. During the baron spell, Shanks built his second great side though. So anyway, 1973 rolled along and we won the League again. (that's three times if you're able to count) And eventually Shanks managed to get his hands on the elusive European trophy when we won, what was then known as, the UEFA Cup in 73 against Borussia Monchengladbach (who ironically were our first opponents in a European Cup final too four years later when Shanks' assistant Bob Paisley was in charge)

Shankly would have one last success with the club with the 1974 FA Cup, leading to the commentator uttering those immortal words Keegan two, Heighway one, Liverpool three, Newcastle none. At the time though, no Liverpool fan knew that would be the last game Shanks would take charge of. And even when he retired in the summer, some fans couldn't believe it. One fan even responded to the reporter telling him with the famous Scouse reply of "you're 'avin' me on."

Shanks would pass on the reigns to Bob Paisley, his assistant for many years. And that was the first transition from boot room member to boot room member. The boot room was another of Shankly's wonderful additions to this great club. It involved himself, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan (who would also go onto manage the club) Ronnie Moran (who held almost every position imaginable within the club) eventually Roy Evans (who would also go onto manage the club) and maybe the forgotten man Reuben Bennett, who was a tremendous coach but never went onto manage the club.

Anything else you need to know, just let us know. Always happy to educate the lesser knowledgeable fan.

Wow! That's quite some CV. Had no clue.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #125: Jan 01, 2015 02:58:46 am

Do you mean on Shanks or just generally because truth be told lad, you seem like a tit generally not just where Liverpool are concerned.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #126: Jan 01, 2015 03:02:18 am
      Do you mean on Shanks or just generally because truth be told lad, you seem like a tit generally not just where Liverpool are concerned.

What's a tit anyway?
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #127: Jan 01, 2015 04:07:21 am
      A tit is a Canuck.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #128: Jan 01, 2015 06:34:26 am

You are a total pleb, all I see is you talking sh*te about our club and people on here. A moaning Canadian ? wtf no one needs that in their life.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #129: Jan 01, 2015 07:24:17 am
      Seriously Cuntfuck33, did you only come here to look for arguments?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #130: Jan 01, 2015 08:31:36 am
      As they stand, in my opinion:

1st Lallana: He leads the way at the moment after his display against the Swans. Though while his early form looked off, you could see there was a player there, perhaps he was trying too hard as well as getting up to speed after injury. Clever player, nifty feet and quick thinking. I like him, and out of all our AM he's come in and actually looks as though he'll get goals on a more regular basis then existing and new ones. Something this (any) team desperately needs, a goal threat beyond the front line.

2nd Can: Hasn't played anywhere near as much as I'd have liked, nor has he played more than other new players about to be mentioned, yet he gets second spot for me currently. Looks a real beast of a midfielder, should be in the engine room because this lad has a bit of everything to me and I have a hunch he will go on to bigger and better things. Even in the few appearances he has made he has impressed me more than others.

It gets harder from here on wards.  :-\

3rd Markovic: Haven't been as impressed with him as others, though he has shown some nice touches more recently, as well as a nicely taken goal. Hoped to see, or get a little more from him to convince me he has a bright future. Think he'll need time to show this.

4th Manquillo: Honest player, defends quite well. Offers to get forward and support but often not to much avail, the complete opposite to Moreno.

5th Moreno: Very bright and promising start, came crashing down when his lack of defensive nouse saw us ship goals in. Enrique and Manquillo on the opposite side are much better defenders. However, this kid looks a real threat going forward and gets forward with a purpose, as his goal against Swansea showed.

6th Balotelli: Don't think he is as lazy as many have made out. He just looks lost in this team/formation, isn't prolific enough.

Wooden spoon Lovren: At this present point in time I can't see him coming good (that isn't to say he won't) but he's been that poor IMO, the positives are few and far between. He sells himself a lot by trying to be a front foot defender, in order to make the tackle early, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, when it doesn't he's turned and often looked the mug. Defending and challenging has been awful if not wimpish. Not impressed.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #131: Jan 01, 2015 08:43:37 am

When I read this my mind drifted for a second and I wondered if literally a wooden spoon with Lovren's face drawn on it by my 2 year old could have done better so far.. Had we just stuck it in the ground (keeping a decent high line)

Food for thought for the gaffer
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #132: Jan 01, 2015 09:14:06 am

F**k sake fella, how can you call yourself a Red when you don't know F**k all about us, did you just randomly pick us from a hat and then join this forum....

Perhaps that explains why your posts are full of sh*t,

Anyhoo, welcome to Liverpool FC, you can learn all about us and our history in various guises including the 'tinternet', video's(do theses still exist ?) dvd's, books, or our very own oracle that is Dunlop Liddell Shankly,

Happy to have you aboard, just learn & think before posting....
      Oh and a bit of respect goes a long way in here too,

YNWA

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #133: Jan 01, 2015 10:05:03 am
      Back on topic,

Think we're starting to see the new lads dovetailing nicely, getting Sturridge back will be like a new signing to,

While Lallana is much better I'm more than impressed with Can, I believe this guy will prove to be the best of the lot, I'd love to see this guy in a trio midfield with Henderson & Sneiderlin,

Markovic has the potential to be a worldy to, however I'd prefer to see him attacking from either flank or straight down the middle  , loads of pace, close ball control, can shoot & score to, not so sure about him defending tho,

Moreno, frightening pace has this lad, but needs to learn the art of defending for defendings sake, he could be pushed forward of course but I'm not convinced his final ball is all that impressive, got lots of potential tho and could develop into a top class player,

Manquillo,
      I like the lad, has a good attitude can defend pretty well but must do better, not a going forward type but could be nurtured, personally I'd prefer Flanaghan at RB, you get what it says on the tin, no messing about just simply defend, with his life if it came to it,

Lovren,
      Big disappointment if I'm honest, after Carra we needed a organising mouthpiece at the back, we missed that last season  , like most thought he'd be ideal and bring about some solidity and confidence with it, alas it hadn't as yet happened but I've not given up on him yet, I still think he can be the player he was at Saints, trouble is tho, he needs to get himself sorted real soon quicker the better,

Ballotelli,

Like Lovren I still think this lad could do well for us, he can't do sh*t on his own that's for sure, however, stick him up top with Sturridge and see if a partnership can be formed, let's be honest here, it's something that's yet to be tried, Brendan didn't sign him to be a loan striker did he ? He didn't envisage Sturridge would be out for so long either, so when we missed out on Sanchez, another potential partner, and brought in Mario instead, what was Brendan's thinking ?

I'd keep Balo until the end of the season, see if something can develop, if not were no worse off are we,
      if we qualify for CL we will need quality players like him next season, giving us attacking options, you don't know until you try do you ?

Looking forward to this half of the season, I think we have seen enough to suggest we can start believing again, we can still qualify for CL , we're still in 3 cup comps, plenty of potential ahead of us, starting with Leicester today .

YNWA
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #134: Jan 01, 2015 10:11:43 am
      When I read this my mind drifted for a second and I wondered if literally a wooden spoon with Lovren's face drawn on it by my 2 year old could have done better so far.. Had we just stuck it in the ground (keeping a decent high line)

Food for thought for the gaffer

Mate, I think your little one would have done better than Lovren so far.

:)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #135: Jan 01, 2015 11:19:24 am
      As they stand, in my opinion:

1st Lallana: He leads the way at the moment after his display against the Swans. Though while his early form looked off, you could see there was a player there, perhaps he was trying too hard as well as getting up to speed after injury. Clever player, nifty feet and quick thinking. I like him, and out of all our AM he's come in and actually looks as though he'll get goals on a more regular basis then existing and new ones. Something this (any) team desperately needs, a goal threat beyond the front line.

2nd Can: Hasn't played anywhere near as much as I'd have liked, nor has he played more than other new players about to be mentioned, yet he gets second spot for me currently. Looks a real beast of a midfielder, should be in the engine room because this lad has a bit of everything to me and I have a hunch he will go on to bigger and better things. Even in the few appearances he has made he has impressed me more than others.

It gets harder from here on wards.  :-\

3rd Markovic: Haven't been as impressed with him as others, though he has shown some nice touches more recently, as well as a nicely taken goal. Hoped to see, or get a little more from him to convince me he has a bright future. Think he'll need time to show this.

4th Manquillo: Honest player, defends quite well. Offers to get forward and support but often not to much avail, the complete opposite to Moreno.

5th Moreno: Very bright and promising start, came crashing down when his lack of defensive nouse saw us ship goals in. Enrique and Manquillo on the opposite side are much better defenders. However, this kid looks a real threat going forward and gets forward with a purpose, as his goal against Swansea showed.

6th Balotelli: Don't think he is as lazy as many have made out. He just looks lost in this team/formation, isn't prolific enough.

Wooden spoon Lovren: At this present point in time I can't see him coming good (that isn't to say he won't) but he's been that poor IMO, the positives are few and far between. He sells himself a lot by trying to be a front foot defender, in order to make the tackle early, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, when it doesn't he's turned and often looked the mug. Defending and challenging has been awful if not wimpish. Not impressed.

Tell you what'Belly - I think that's a reasonable assessment.

Personally I'd swap Moreno for Markevic - I think Alberto will come good.

As for Lovren - only Santa Claus (with a late run) delivered more presents wearing red in 2014.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #136: Jan 01, 2015 12:21:03 pm
      Pros:
      + Can
      Will be a monster - Strong, quick and great distribution. We've needed a solid DM for a while, can cross that need off the list.
      + Moreno
      This lad can play. Still a lot of work to do on defensive training and picking up on set pieces, but that can be drilled in. Give it 2-3 years, will be the best fullback in the league. Expect to see a lot more Tottenham type goals in the future.
      + Origi
      Steal. Will let him do the talking next year.
      Lallana
      Has probably put in the best performances out of all the summer signings. Personally would have preferred a typical box-to-box midfielder that can smack them in from 25 yards at ease, ala Reus / Eriksen. Cant fault the effort though, we got what we paid for and will be around the starting 11 for the next 3-4 years.
      + Manquillo
      Hes a bit of a liability but everyone forgets he's 20, for a defender. Lets face it Johnson's gone, good - he can't last 90 mins against the 24 year old wingers anymore. Reminds me of a young Finnan - can't be a bad thing.

Cons:
      - Ballotelli
      Panic buy. Didn't work. Get rid.
      - Lambert
      Not really made an impact and doesn't suit the style of play. Nothing lost really was very good value for money. Really like Rickies personality/dedication, but its just not going to work out here if he wants game time, and not be used as a "throw the big man on for last 20 minutes" type player.

On the fence:
      ± Markovic
      Disappointing. Is very graceful with the ball, but I'm still not 100% convinced he'll make the step up to superstar. Was a lot of money too.
      ± Lovren
      I was delighted when we signed him. However he's been a complete calamity. Between Ilori, Wisdom, Sakho, Coates, Lovren as CB's for the future, we have a right mess on our hands, with the loanee's looking like our best option.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #137: Jan 13, 2015 05:12:00 pm
      There's been a bit of Perrier water under the bridge since my last ratings, so here goes on the league table of new signings.

1. Adam Lallana (74.3% success). Keeps his number one slot despite the fact he is injured again. Some of his performances before his injury were a joy to watch, we've got a player here.

2. Lazar Markovic (61.45% success). Without question is the one that sets the hearts of reds beating the most. How good could this kid be? We know he has the talent to be anything at all, but equally he could easily be another Thomas Rosicky, Jesus Navas, Nani type. All those players had/have ability, but none of them have that little something to make them absolute world beaters. Lazar has it all in his locker, but is the desire, the will and the bollocks there? Time will tell.

3. Emre Can (59.86% success). His rating has crept up, but Markovic's rubber legged contortionism for his volley was enough to see Emre nudged down to third. He's some unit though is this lad, and I like him more every time I see him. Of all the signings I have no doubt that in the short to medium term Can is the most obvious "good value" purchase of the lot. If he was playing for anyone else in the Premiership, we'd all be saying "how the f*** didn't we spot this lad?".

4. Javier Manquillo (56.6% success). More of a Mourinho full back than a Brendan one i many ways. Good defensively, reluctant to get over the half way line. I'm a bit old fashioned though and I quite like defenders who can actually defend, I like this kid too.

5. Alberto Moreno (52.32% success). Gave his best performance ina  red shirt IMHO the other day, simply because I barely heard his name mentioned. He did what a full back ought to do, namely defended properly, supported his nearest centre half and didn't give the ball away in stupid areas. Benitez would have been proud of his performance and so was I, he needs to do that a lot more if he's going to justify his potential. If he wants to be Gareth Bale, he should play further forward.

6. Rickie Lambert (44.87% success). A few weeks ago Rickie was top of the charts. The fact he has slipped down is partly as a result of his lacklustre performances, but mostly as everyone else is improving. He will though score an important goal for us before the season is out.

7. The future captain (42.12% success). A pleasing return to the team against Sunderland, and his front foot defensive style helped us snuff them out in the second half. It's only a matter of confidence and belief with this fella, and it'll come.

8. Divock Origi (38.41% success). Still seemingly can't locate the cows @rse with a banjo, but is only a kid so you never know.

9. Super Mario (32.52% success). Truly doesn't fit, shame.

Quick Reply