Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.

Read 19785 times
      jimmy_tries
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Re: May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.
      Reply #69: Nov 20, 2014 02:26:21 pm
      I'd agree regarding Lallana, Moreno and Can. Definitely a place in the squad for Manquillo too but not sure he'll ever become a top class right back.

Got no faith in any of the others delivering the goods for us if I'm honest.

(Not judging Origi yet)

Agreed . I think Lallana will be helpful and his grit is great, he plays like he is a lot taller then he is . Moreno is a spark, I guess we will wait and see . Can has nothing to lose and his play is showing it . He had a great game against Real and played well against Chelsea, but lets hope he gets the opportunity he deserves going forward to improve .
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Re: May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.
      Reply #70: Nov 20, 2014 03:35:05 pm
      I'd agree regarding Lallana, Moreno and Can. Definitely a place in the squad for Manquillo too but not sure he'll ever become a top class right back.

Got no faith in any of the others delivering the goods for us if I'm honest.

(Not judging Origi yet)

to be fair the Thread title is some of our signings will come VERY good... so this is about right!

I know he is young but im not seeing anything from Markovic at all..... and Mario can jog back to Italy in January on free for all i care
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #71: Nov 20, 2014 04:17:00 pm
      Can someone remind me what low wages Stevie is on now and what Luis was on at the end? Is that proof of FSG scrimping and saving. You guys can twist it as much as you want to try and deflect blame from Brendan but the buck stops at him. He is NOT utilizing his players to their potential, due to being a very poor coach and having a bad coaching set up behind him. Of course he is a bit unlucky to not have Sturridge but he does have 3 strikers, one of whom certainly used to be top notch so he should be able to make better use of them, try a few different formations etc instead of doggedly sticking to one which 100% definitely doesn't work! How do you guys defend Brendan's crap tactics and team selections so far this season or is it somehow not his fault because he wasn't allowed to buy Messi and Ronaldo by the nasty FSG.

I guess it depends what you mean by poor.

Poor compared to Pocchetino? Wenger? Pellegrini? Van Gaal?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #72: Nov 20, 2014 04:19:01 pm
      So why then do you believe that FSG aren't accountable?

Maybe the same reason you don't give them the credit for producing a team that scored a hundred goals and narrowly missed out in the league?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #73: Nov 20, 2014 04:22:48 pm

Chelsea have spent big on superstars and Man United and City have been wiping the floor with them the past few years.

This is the first season in a while they are looking dominant - but that's because Mourinho has bought the RIGHT players more than the fact they have just spent big money.

In any case - they have more than us and can attract big players so we aren't going to outcompete them by signing a team of galacticos.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #74: Nov 20, 2014 04:43:22 pm

Doing it better than everyone else and doing it by FFP rules. Think they took more cash in over the last 12 months than have have went out. They are making now I'm pretty sure. Credit where it's due Morinho is the best in the business, let's hope BR was listening to him when he was working with him... Something tells me he was
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #75: Nov 20, 2014 05:01:25 pm
      Did I ever say that or are you just making sh*t up again?
      So why then do you believe that FSG aren't accountable?

After all it's they who hired the man; they who heralded him as the way forward; they who, going into their fifth year, are no closer to having the system in place [the system about which John Henry said: "After almost two years at Anfield, we are close to having the system we need in place."] to deliver on the promise that 'we are winners'.

Why are you not concerned that, in their fifth year, someone who said: "We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best" has not delivered on that front; that in fact we have never competed "with the very best" [haggled over a price, with a parent club, yes - "competed", no], at any point?

It's like this fella: there's plenty of blame to go round but if you genuinely believe that FSG aren't a main player, don't dictate policy and are (unlike any other managers) therefore free from blame, then you are being a bit thick.   ;)

For the first part it was a question, not a statement of facts, I realise how that may be confusing. ;-)
      Regarding FSG, they rescued the club from bankruptcy and are putting us on a very good financial footing. Would I like them to spend more money in the transfer market, yes and no. Yes because we all dream of being able to sign the very best players but NO if it risked the club's financial stability. Hope that clears things up a bit.
      It still doesn't explain why Brendan keeps playing Balotelli as a lone striker, when Balo himself says he doesn't like it, instead of perhaps trying, just trying mind, to play 2 strikers or why he can't get the defence sorted out after 2 and half years
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #76: Nov 20, 2014 05:05:06 pm
      Doing it better than everyone else and doing it by FFP rules. Think they took more cash in over the last 12 months than have have went out. They are making now I'm pretty sure. Credit where it's due Morinho is the best in the business, let's hope BR was listening to him when he was working with him... Something tells me he was

I know, they missed out last year and just went out and got sh*t done in the Summer. Knew what they needed to address their weaknesses quickly and got it done.

We didn't, for whatever reason, and now find ourselves in a mini crisis whilst they reap the benefits of their Summer spending. They've spent big in the long run so although it's maybe unfair to compare our squads I just don't think we addressed our most obvious requirements first and foremost. We needed to strengthen to push on first of all, but we seem to have just put mostly young bums on seats in the hope they'll come good as opposed people who we thought would come in and do a job straight away.

Our options upfront are very worrying. Borini will never be a world beater whilst Mario doesn't look like the answer and Rickie Lambert looks like he is trying to sprint up hill in snow when he attempts even a jog.

The options in defence are even more worrying though as I think we have bought well on the most part. Seriously. Without talking amounts Moreno and Manquillo are quite good and Lovren was revered as one of the best in the league last season. Them, alongside Skrtel, Sakho and Toure can't all have gone so hopeless at the same time if you get my drift.

Out of the people we've signed the majority will probably turn out okay but it's where we didn't strengthen and the ability to play a system that compliments what we have that worries me.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #77: Nov 20, 2014 05:05:27 pm
      I guess it depends what you mean by poor.

Poor compared to Pocchetino? Wenger? Pellegrini? Van Gaal?

At the moment I would say he's probably the worst in the league because the team is under performing so badly without the manager being abel to adapt and get the best out of the players. Pochettino is also in the same bracket. Manure and Arsenal actually have more critical injuries than us throughout their teams. The only key player we have injured is Sturridge, one striker!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #78: Nov 20, 2014 05:08:09 pm

Was he maybe listening to the part about playing the same team and tactics despite it obviously not working game after game after game?? ;-)
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #79: Nov 20, 2014 05:08:35 pm
      For me the main problem remains how we are using Gerrard.

Without Suarez and Surridge ahead of him he isn't producing enough to make up for the defensive lapses in midfield.

Even without Sturridge we have enough good midfield options now to improve our defence and attack - if we move him from a starting spot in that position.

It will take big balls to do that unless our results nosedive further and Brendan is forced into it however.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #80: Nov 20, 2014 05:10:42 pm
      At the moment I would say he's probably the worst in the league because the team is under performing so badly without the manager being abel to adapt and get the best out of the players. Pochettino is also in the same bracket. Manure and Arsenal actually have more critical injuries than us throughout their teams. The only key player we have injured is Sturridge, one striker!!

Interesting.

I don't entirely disagree with your point in tactical terms but I think you are not including the political ramifications of dropping the captain.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #81: Nov 20, 2014 05:15:12 pm
      Interesting.

I don't entirely disagree with your point in tactical terms but I think you are not including the political ramifications of dropping the captain.

To be honest it wouldn't be that political in dropping the skipper as there are plenty calling for the Boss to do so, the way I see it Rodgers at the moment needs not only the skipper onside but also on the pitch.

The whole team seems to have gone flat for some reason, wether its Suarez not being here or that fact we failed to replace him with like for like quality the negativity has filtered into the team.

What we could with a Costa,Cavani right now.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #82: Nov 20, 2014 05:20:09 pm
      To be honest it wouldn't be that political in dropping the skipper as there are plenty calling for the Boss to do so, the way I see it Rodgers at the moment needs not only the skipper onside but also on the pitch.

The whole team seems to have gone flat for some reason, wether its Suarez not being here or that fact we failed to replace him with like for like quality the negativity has filtered into the team.

What we could with a Costa,Cavani right now.

Yes but that's because the results are bad at the moment.

If Gerrard is dropped and the results STAY bad then I think the fans would split into two camps - those that were clamouring for him to be put back in the middle and those that thought Brendan had lost the dressing room.

That's why it would be a last resort to drop him - regardless of what happens results would have to improve as there would be no way back.

It's a tricky problem. Gerrard clearly has no intention of winding down his commitments - it may be that the only way his career will come to an end is playing him match after match and seeing him get regularly skinned until it dawns on him and all the supporters how weak he is in the middle for us.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #83: Nov 20, 2014 05:33:20 pm
      Yes but that's because the results are bad at the moment.

If Gerrard is dropped and the results STAY bad then I think the fans would split into two camps - those that were clamouring for him to be put back in the middle and those that thought Brendan had lost the dressing room.

That's why it would be a last resort to drop him - regardless of what happens results would have to improve as there would be no way back.

It's a tricky problem. Gerrard clearly has no intention of winding down his commitments - it may be that the only way his career will come to an end is playing him match after match and seeing him get regularly skinned until it dawns on him and all the supporters how weak he is in the middle for us.

I would follow what Rafa did with Gerrard, play him as a second striker, surely we cant be that much worse off than what we currently have upfront?, maybe Gerrard feeding Mario some decent balls may help our £16 million man?.

The days of the skipper in midfield should be over, in my opinion.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #84: Nov 20, 2014 05:40:45 pm
      Never easy for any manager to ease out a club legend and as has been pointed out if results don't improve half on here would be at the doors of Melwood with pitch forks.
      Politically it is best if Gerrard is moved further forward and then brought off after 60 odd minutes but if Rodgers was really brave he should be benched.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #85: Nov 20, 2014 07:05:53 pm
      Pushing your luck with this one Mick ;)
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #86: Nov 20, 2014 07:30:39 pm
      Not all Rafas signings were bad mick, and Lucas definitely wasnt
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #87: Nov 20, 2014 08:14:19 pm

Mick has always liked a 'get in their early' punt, particularly if it flys in the face of the general consensus eh Mick!

My thoughts are it doesn't really matter how the others are doing because such a mess has been made on the striker front. It was a cluster fuc...k of a window in my eyes, even if they all come good over the next few years. It looks very likely that we may be buggered this year in terms of a top four spot and it is absolutely vital that we finish top four. I don't think we will though. The failure to buy the right striker has meant that it almost didn't matter who else we bought because our lack of quality, movement and hustle up top has COMPLETELY derailed the side.

Looking at the individuals, I still don't see it with Markovic. Lovren might be a decent defender but it does feel as though LFC is the place to come for defenders to suddenly become awful. Sakho was highly rated but he is bag of nerves in an LFC shirt, same applies to Lovren, Skrtel has never looked comfortable under Brendan and to be honest, from a defensive perspective neither have any of the full backs.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #88: Nov 20, 2014 10:10:40 pm
      Not all Rafas signings were bad mick, and Lucas definitely wasnt

I know mate, he signed some excellent players. Is it me you're talking to though? Have you got the wrong thread or something? I'm not sure I understand your point in terms of it's relevence to this particular thread.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #89: Nov 20, 2014 10:18:21 pm
      There's been much talk on here about money being "wasted", "p!ssed away" and the like. People are basing those assumptions on a fairly small sample size (14 league games) and are talking with absolute certainty that so and so was "a complete waste of money". I've argued that we won't know for a while yet, but it's time for me to be honest here and say exactly why I'm more confident than most that many of them will come very good indeed.

I'm going to start with a fairly controversial point. Dejan Lovren will in my opinion be recognised as one of the best centre halves in the league within the next twelve months. I think he's an excellent player who is going through a confidence crisis (much like the rest of the team really), but I've seen enough to be convinced not a penny of his 20 million quid fee was wasted. Actually, in my opinion we nicked him. He's good in the air, decisive in the tackle, has a turn of pace and uses the ball well. At the moment our defensive unit is a shambles and with it his confidence has crumbled, but he is strong enough to turn it around both for him and them. He's the best centre half we've had at the club for many a year in my view and I don't say that lightly. I've a hunch Sakho will be the better partner for him with his no nonsense approach, and I'm also convinced if he were allowed to get rid of it up the field when pressured he'd look better, but Lovren will come good. When? any game now is the answer. He's such a good player in my opinion that I always expect him to play well and am surprised when he doesn't, he'll probably be MOM against Palace on Sunday. Failing that, VERY SOON people will change their opinion of him, I'd be surprised if it's not before Christmas if he continues to be selected.

Next up is Adam Lallana . I thought we overpaid for this lad, but having seen him and what you get these days for a similar fee I'm not so sure. He really has lovely feet, puts a good shift in and has a goal/assist in him all day long. To me the hardest thing for Adam is that he missed all of the pre season and the first month of the season through injury. Given it's only November that's a lot, and I don't think he's quite up to speed yet but he is getting there. An absolute quality player who is easy on the eye, he'll be a Liverpool player for the next five seasons at least.

Emre Can is another player who's career at the club so far has been blighted by injuries. Not only that, he's been asked to come into a misfiring team and he's 20 years old. He was out for six weeks with an injury, but he's come back and is surely ahead of schedule in that he's now pressing for a place in the first choice team (he'd get in mine). Didn't look out of place in the Bernabau or against the best team in the Premiership, and anyone who any experience of how much young blokes grow between 20 and 24 will know this lad is going to be a real unit. Seems to have a turn of pace and a bit of on the ball arrogance about him, I like him a lot. Potential future captain, and at 10 million quid a snip.

Alberto Moreno is a typical modern fullback in that he is a bomber going forward but can't actually defend. Fortunately you can teach one but not the other, and he's very good at the bit which is simply a natural gift. I see him as a young Patrice Evra without the c***ish tendencies, and I think that by this time next season people will be putting plans together to stop him damaging them going forward. Over a reasonable distance this kid is like lightening, and I'm not yet totally convinced he'll end up playing at full back. At 12 million quid though to me he looks like a very good buy indeed and could develop into a superstar.

Rickie Lambert . I liked the idea behind the buy, but it looks like we got him 18 months too late.

Lazar Markovic . A boy in a mans body, Markovic is IMHO the signing with the biggest potential upside of all. If he uses the pace, power, dribbling skill and trickery he has he could quite easily become a World Class player. At the moment he's a mile away from that, but you have to remember that players such as Markovic have never looked good in a poor team (which right now is what we are). To flourish he needs to be in a good side who have teams on the back foot, a good side who isn't overly concerned about losing possession. Stick him in the Sunderland team and you'd have Kevin Kilbanne reincarnated, put him in the Chelsea team and he'd look an apprentice monster. He still needs to discover what type of player he is going to be does Lazar, but he really could be anything. 20 million quid is a gamble alright, but waste of money? This one we won't know until the end of next season. If the gamble comes off though, this kid could be phenomenal. In the meantime, we won't see too much of him for the rest of this season I don't think, just cameos and cups.

Mario Balotelli . I was all for this signing too, and I was wrong. It hasn't worked out for him or us, but it's time for a bit of pragmatism here. Brendan will have worked out by now that the sooner he can replace Merio and the Italian f*cks off into the sunset then the better it'll be for everyone. IN THE MEANTIME THOUGH, we ought to speed that process up by while we have him, playing to his strengths. Lets hit him from distance more often and play the way HE wants us to play (I know it's annoying but I'm convinced we'll get more points that way). It'll only be until we get a credible striker that suits our style before we can jib him off.

Origi . I've barely seen him play, but you can be sure that at 19 years old he will improve. We'll see.

Xavier Manquillo . On loan, and I quite like the young fella. He's a bit of a throwback in that he can actually defend but looks like a defender when he goes forward. I'd have him in front of Johnson right now given the choice, and he's a tidy player for a kid who's 20 years old.

So there's this seasons signings off the top of my head. I think they definitely will come good, and I think they come good quick enough for us to get into the top four this season. I know many don't agree with me there and talk about percentages of wins, how many hundredths of a percentage point goals per game we need to score and other such nonsense, but little in football changes over the years. In each match, to get three points you need to put the ball in the onion bag more often than they do to get the three points. If they don't score any you only need one, if they score four you need five and so on. Usually the team which prevails is the one which has the most character, desire, will and talent, although not necessarily in that order. As our new people begin to find their feet, and as Stevie, Coutinho, Hendo and the like begin to find theirs, we'll find our character again. When we do we'll start to win, a lot. When that happens we'll be a good team again, and in this league we are comfortably IMHO amongst the four best teams, therefore we will finish in the top four. This is where you heard it first. 

What is this positivity your sprouting?  Are you allowed do that on this forum?

Fully agree.

This team will come good. And a lot of "supporters" will look very silly.

How do we come good?
      Skrtel - common denominator of the defensive issues. He prefers to defend on the 18yard box and pulls the rest of our back line back 10 yards. This season for some reason we are 20 yards deeper than we were last season. That means 20 yards to make up on a fast counter or 20 yards more to pass out of trouble, or 20 yards less to clear trouble. Hes a joke and must be replaced.

Gerrard. Hes not a DM. This is another reason why we are doing so poorly. Its no coincidence that Arsenal, the only other team without a DM, have the 2nd most, we are 1st, defensive errors made in the league. We need Lucas or Can to sit in and Gerrard to push on for 30mins at the end of games. 50 yard holywood passes have to stop. Legend or not, the time has come.

Rodgers. First off I'm a big fan and dont want the man sacked. His continual favoritism is killing us. His EGO appears to be out of control. But yet not big enough to make the biggest call and drop Gerrard. He said a while back that the teams are all picked months in advance, and barring injuries they all play. That is madness. MADNESS. Continuing on that route is devastating. I dont blame him for playing Johnson over younger easily targetted Manquillo, that I can kind of understand, but Sakho will not get back in the team ahead of Lovren. Lovren will come good but needs time out of the team to get his head straight and come back at it. Sakho is arguably better than Lovren. Committee buys vs Rodgers buys.... MADNESS.

How do we move forward?
      Gerrard drops. Hard to say, but it has to happen.
      Rodgers gets a new assistant manager. FSG/Board need to put a list together and hand it to him and say "suck it up and pick one".... His mates are not questioning him enough or offering the correct solutions we are ALL screaming. I believe Rodgers has the attributes to be a great manager... hiS mates dont.
      Buy a DM at xmas and replace Lucas with him end of Jan.
      Buy another keeper.
      Forget about trying to make the team more compact. Revert back to hatchet football. Fast counter. Push the team forward 20 yards. Score early, score again and close up shop. We need to score 1st. So why not go hatchet? Press high again. We were 3rd in the league for most presses last season. We are currently 13th. F**k ME.
      Scouts sacked - I believe this has already happened. Just to be clear, MOST of our signings this summer will become GREAT. Balo, Lambert, Carroll, Moses, Mignolet, Dempsey, Salah, Konoplyanka and loads more have either been awful signings or close shaves we tried our best to get and thank f**k didnt. We need to improve and A LOT.
      Jesus christ sort out the players minds. They are better than this sh*t. Sort out the route causes, score goals again and pride/confidence will return and then and only then will we be able to judge how good our signings are.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #90: Nov 20, 2014 11:15:30 pm
      Mick has always liked a 'get in their early' punt, particularly if it flys in the face of the general consensus eh Mick!

My thoughts are it doesn't really matter how the others are doing because such a mess has been made on the striker front. It was a cluster fuc...k of a window in my eyes, even if they all come good over the next few years. It looks very likely that we may be buggered this year in terms of a top four spot and it is absolutely vital that we finish top four. I don't think we will though. The failure to buy the right striker has meant that it almost didn't matter who else we bought because our lack of quality, movement and hustle up top has COMPLETELY derailed the side.

Looking at the individuals, I still don't see it with Markovic. Lovren might be a decent defender but it does feel as though LFC is the place to come for defenders to suddenly become awful. Sakho was highly rated but he is bag of nerves in an LFC shirt, same applies to Lovren, Skrtel has never looked comfortable under Brendan and to be honest, from a defensive perspective neither have any of the full backs.

I agree Scott, the injuries to Sturridge and clusterfuck we made with our striking options has made what we all hoped would be another title challenging season into another one where the end of October was also the end of any title ambitions.

Top four while still a possibility is looking more and more doubtful and with the recurrence of Sturridge's injury CL progress is at best now a hope rather than a reasonable expectation.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #91: Nov 21, 2014 09:54:35 am
      I know mate, he signed some excellent players. Is it me you're talking to though? Have you got the wrong thread or something? I'm not sure I understand your point in terms of it's relevence to this particular thread.

Say no more Mick a nods as good as wink to a blind bat

Quick Reply