Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

When Xabi Met Jamie

Read 1457 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,177 posts | 8551 
      When Xabi Met Jamie
      Nov 21, 2014 09:19:02 pm
      XABI ALONSO MEETS JAMIE CARRAGHER: I was devastated to miss out on emotional Liverpool return... why Bayern Munich can win everything this season (and the FIVE managers who shaped my career)

Xabi Alonso is a midfield maestro. In what has been a stellar career, his highlights include unforgettable Champions League wins with Liverpool and Real Madrid and helping Spain conquer the world.
      He is now aiming to make history with Bayern Munich and, in his first interview with an English newspaper since moving to Germany, he outlined his ambitions to Sportsmail's Jamie Carragher.

CARRAGHER: The move to Munich happened very quickly. How did it come about? Had Pep Guardiola wanted you for a long time?

ALONSO: Well, it did happen quick, you are right, two weeks before the transfer window closed. I had been at Madrid for five years. We had won the 10th European Cup, we had been chasing it for a long time and it felt like the business was done. It was either a case of continuing for a few more years in Madrid or trying something different. Having experienced La Liga and the Premier League, it was a great chance to come here. The Bundesliga is getting better and this is one of the top clubs in the world.

CARRAGHER: Did you have any opportunities to return to England?

ALONSO: No. I only had this option. There were times I heard some English clubs said 'what would he think', but my idea was to stay in Madrid. Then when I heard of Munich's interest I said 'Xabi, think what you want and where you will be happy'. I needed a fresh start somewhere. This might be my last experience in football. I came from my hometown team, Real Sociedad, to the best team in England (smiles); to the best team in Spain to the best team in Germany. It is a beautiful career. I wanted a nice football script. I cannot be a one-club man like you!

CARRAGHER: By coming here you have the potential to emulate Clarence Seedorf and become the second man to win the Champions League with three different teams.

ALONSO: For sure, that is one of the targets of the club and, personally, it would be a great achievement. I would never have dreamed I could be this close but I think we have a good enough team to fight for all the titles. It will be difficult as you are fighting against Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, PSG, Juventus. Top clubs in Europe. We will see if we meet the challenge.

CARRAGHER: What did you think when you saw the Champions League draw? You missed coming back to Anfield!

ALONSO: (puts hands over face) Oh my gosh! I was in the middle of doing my medical here. I came out from the scan and saw it...

CARRAGHER: Did you try and fail it!?

ALONSO: (laughs) There was a shock! I was thinking, 'I had a chance to go back to Anfieldā€¦ aye, yai, yai'! I would have loved that. I'd love to play there once more. This season in the knockout stages? You never know. I still feel I have a special connection with Liverpool fans. Remember those nights we had? We felt we could beat anyone in Europe. Winning in Istanbul was beyond my dreams.

CARRAGHER: You are in England on Tuesday to play Manchester City. You have already qualified from your group, so are you going there with intention of knocking them out? Do you see them as a threat?

ALONSO: Of course they are a threat. If City go through, over two legs they can beat any team in Europe. Our job is to win. I want to play. Matches in England are special. City are in a difficult position, I understand this. I've worked with Manuel Pellegrini, they have players I know very well. I cannot sit here and say 'yes, I want to knock them out'. But, absolutely, I want to win

CARRAGHER: Do you wonder why City struggle in the Champions League? English clubs are finding it difficult in Europe. When we played together, there was a period when ourselves, Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal always reached the latter stages. What is the difference now?

ALONSO: From the outside, it is difficult to tell. First, the spell we had at Liverpool (two finals, one semi-final and a quarter-final, 2005-2009) isn't normal. That was an exception to football's rules. Maybe it is cyclical. Look at Dortmund, for example. They are not doing well in the league, but they have a great team in Europe. We have a great team. German football has become stronger. For the last couple of years, the leagues in Italy and England have not been that strong. But I think they will come back.

CARRAGHER: But why? Look at when we played. We were strong defensively. So were United and Chelsea. Yes, you want to play good football. But you have to be strong, well organised. That's now a problem for English teams. They cannot go away from home and keep clean sheets yet they also can't stop the opposition getting away goals.

ALONSO: For sure. To be fighting at European level you need players who know how to play in the big games. Spanish and German teams have that. English teams have changed so much. Only now do Chelsea look solid. Liverpool did well last year but are struggling this season. It takes time. City have won the league twice in three years but they cannot find that mentality in Europe. That makes things difficult.

CARRAGHER: When we played in Europe under Rafa, we could attack, we could counter-attack and other times we would just defend - even at home. Last year, Madrid surprised Bayern by playing on the counter-attack. Here with Guardiola, every game he has a plan. How important is it to have different ways of playing?

ALONSO: Each team I see (that is successful) has to be comfortable playing with three systems. They need to adapt to each game, depending on the circumstances. It is not about not being loyal to your identity. No, no, no. It is about knowing your strengths and showing your players what you need to do each game to prepare in the right way. In Liverpool, we had a plan for each team. Every game is totally different. Let me give you an example. This season we have played with three defenders, sometimes four, sometimes five. You need to be able to manage at least three or four systems. It has nothing to do with betraying your principles.

CARRAGHER: It is good to hear you say that. In England the perception is that Barcelona and Spain win only by playing one way. That is a problem for City and Arsenal, especially in Europe. City just play 4-4-2. Look at Arsenal - they went to Borussia Dortmund and should have lost 5-0.

ALONSO: If you go out and play your own way, anything can happen. You might win. But if you are playing a quarter-final or a semi-final of the Champions League, you need a plan and to be able to control the game. If the opposition score and you don't have a plan? That's it. You need to anticipate what is going to happen. If the opposition change, you change.
      CARRAGHER: How can Bayern change? Do you think what happened with Madrid in the Champions League semi-final last season shows that teams have worked Bayern out?
      ALONSO: It is difficult to copy Real Madrid as not every team has those players who can run with such explosion, like Ronaldo.
      CARRAGHER: Is he the best player in the world?
      ALONSO: For sure. I said recently if Manuel Neuer or another German player won the Ballon d'Or, it would be fair as they won the World Cup. But if Ronaldo wins it again, it would also be fair for the season he had, winning the Champions League. He is the best player I have played with. After you, of course!

CARRAGHER: People talk about the technique of English players. But a bigger problem, I feel, is their understanding of the gameā€¦

ALONSO: Yes, for sure. When I was in Liverpool, I was reading the programme before a match. In it, a 12-year-old from the academy was asked what his main strengths were. His answer? Shooting and tackling. I said to myself 'okay, but I don't think the main quality of player should be tackling'.

CARRAGHER: Have you seen Jack Wilshere play in the holding role? We usually have someone in England in that position who goes bang, bang, bang into tackles, not like you or Busquets, Kroos or Pirlo. Could it be a step forward for English football to have a player like Wilshere in that role?

ALONSO: Why not? Before there was Michael Carrick. He had the game intelligence. If you had combined him with other players, maybe he would have been an important figure in midfield.

CARRAGHER: It is a debate in England that Wilshere is being used in that role. Do you think it's a problem having a footballer in there, rather than someone who is always thinking defensively?

ALONSO: You need someone who thinks, 'What is best: attack? Defence?' You have to know when to take two or three steps to make space, then you will be able to pass to someone between the lines. Players don't have to move. Pep says this always to Mario Gotze (jumps up and starts pointing). 'You! Don't run! Stay there! The ball will come to you. Don't move!' He shows clips to the team of Gotze standing still for 10 seconds. Pep works so much about the positional game. It is not about running everywhere. It is about you staying there and the others have to work to get it to you

CARRAGHER: You retired from international football in the summer. When the Spanish team used to get together, you must have talked about English players: how did you view them?

ALONSO: As individuals, all the Spanish players have great admiration for Stevie, Scholes, Rooney, Lampardā€¦

CARRAGHER: Carragher?!

ALONSO: (laughing) Carragher? Carragher (puts hands over face)! I'm talking about midfielders even though I called you Carradona! We had admiration but maybe the pieces of the (England) team didn't work so well. They asked me why. Is the problem the players? The manager? Why can't they make the right formula?

CARRAGHER: You had the right formula. It shows what a judge I am. When you came to Liverpool I said Spain would win nothing.

ALONSO: I know! I remember! What did you say (puts on fake Liverpool accent)? 'Spain? Spain! Can't run! Can't run!' You got the gold medal for the loudest player I played with. I remember at West Brom, in 2009. We are winning 2-0, the game is won and (Alvaro) Arbeloa tries to run the ball out of defence. He loses the ball. Next thing I hear this: 'Eh! You! Arbeloa! You're not Maradona!'

CARRAGHER: Which one player was vital to the success you had?

ALONSO: We had a strong spine. It wasn't about one man. It started with Iker (Casillas). He was key in at Euro 2008, then the World Cup, as was (Carles) Puyol. Then there was Sergio Ramos...

CARRAGHER: Really? Sometimes in England we think he can't be trusted.

ALONSO: When Sergio is on top of his game mentally, he's one of the best. In midfield we had (David) Silva, Xavi, (Andres) Iniesta, myself. Playing with so many midfielders was our strength. We didn't have great players in one-against-one situations. It took a lot of short passes to create the last chance. When we did, we had David Villa and Fernando Torres, who were on top form.

CARRAGHER: What does the future hold for you? Are you thinking of becoming a coach, a president?

ALONSO: A pundit (more laughter)! Probably, I will take my badges. I have lots of things in my mind. With the managers I have worked for, I have learned a lot. But you cannot take that step too quickly. Would I walk away from football? Sometimes you think you need that break.

CARRAGHER: What if I got rid of Gary Neville!? Would you do Monday night football?

ALONSO: No, I think I will just do the Champions League nights!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2844035/XABI-ALONSO-MEETS-JAMIE-CARRAGHER-devastated-miss-Liverpool-return.html
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: When Xabi Met Jamie
      Reply #1: Nov 21, 2014 09:56:22 pm
      if you close your eyes and breath deeply and slowly can't you just smell those European nights between 2004 and 2009.
      the songs, the atmosphere and  the results we beat the F***ing world.Just look at us now.GOd its depressing
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #2: Nov 21, 2014 10:18:28 pm
      if you close your eyes and breath deeply and slowly can't you just smell those European nights between 2004 and 2009.
      the songs, the atmosphere and  the results we beat the f**king world.Just look at us now.GOd its depressing

We had a team alright.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Nov 21, 2014 10:24:10 pm
      CARRAGHER: What if I got rid of Gary Neville!? Would you do Monday night football?

:lmao:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Nov 21, 2014 10:31:14 pm

Most feared team in Europe? No one wanted to play against us!
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,636 posts | 130 
      Reply #5: Nov 22, 2014 09:22:55 am
      Really good interview! Brings back all the great memories of Xabi and his whole time here! Shame we lost such a player and character!
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #6: Nov 22, 2014 09:44:15 am
      Awesome interview. Would like to note the following:

"No, no, no. It is about knowing your strengths and showing your players what you need to do each game to prepare in the right way. In Liverpool, we had a plan for each team. Every game is totally different. Let me give you an example. This season we have played with three defenders, sometimes four, sometimes five. You need to be able to manage at least three or four systems. It has nothing to do with betraying your principles."

Hope Brendan takes note.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #7: Nov 22, 2014 10:18:39 am
      Hey Arby your,e not Maradonna nearly spat my tea out ,fckin class, god we were so close to it we feared no one in europe in fact the opposite was true .
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Nov 22, 2014 09:16:12 pm
      Alonso :  " Our job is to win."

Talking about their upcoming City game.
      Pity we didnt plan to do that against Madrid in the last game ... not wave a white flag.

The  Liverpool   Rodger's Way.
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2014 12:59:51 am by eurored »

Quick Reply