Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

At what point do YOU call for a manager to go?

Read 9991 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      At what point do YOU call for a manager to go?
      Nov 22, 2014 07:02:36 am
      There seems to be a general consensus that Brendan is getting his tactics and line up wrong at all he minute,  but few people are actually calling for him to go (publicly at least).
      There has been times in the past when I've thought to myself "this manager has taken us as far as he can".
      With Souness it was destroying a championship winning team and turning them into a mid table side, that made me want him out. There was a point when it became apparent that we weren't going to win the league under Houlier,  so at that point I thought he'd taken us as Far as he could,  and needed to be replaced.
      At the time I blamed Rafa ( wrongly) for us throwing the league away when we had a 7 point lead at one point.  I now believe had Rafa been given more time with better owners,  he may well have lead us to the title.

So at what point do/have you finally lose/lost faith in a manager?  What has to happen before you call for his head?
      This is all about your own opinions, so there are no wrong answer.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: At what point do YOU call for a manager to go?
      Reply #1: Nov 22, 2014 07:19:55 am
      I think you have answered the question yourself, when he has taken the club as far as he can go. I would add a rider to that and say if the team is playing badly as well as getting sh*te results then there is only one answer to the question. If the team are playing good football but not getting the rub of the green then that is another question.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2: Nov 22, 2014 08:00:17 am
      I think you have answered the question yourself, when he has taken the club as far as he can go. I would add a rider to that and say if the team is playing badly as well as getting sh*te results then there is only one answer to the question. If the team are playing good football but not getting the rub of the green then that is another question.

What about other factors like being in balls deep with asset stripping bas**rds like H&G like Would was,  some people may see Brendan's constant defence of the owners as unacceptable.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Nov 22, 2014 08:08:41 am
      If you know me at all you will know that I have always been an advocate for the old shareholder type of system. A system were the club was owned by Directors and shareholders who were first and foremost Liverpool Football Club supporters. The only manager in my opinion who had the guts to stand up to thieving bas**rds of owners was RAFA.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Nov 22, 2014 08:08:59 am
      circa 32hrs and counting.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Nov 22, 2014 08:11:19 am
      With FSG who knows where the line is between success and failure.
      If results don't improve and there is a clear sign the players are not performing and the crowd start to stay away then its usually a sign as with Roy that the P45 is on its way.
      With Brendan he is part of FSG's strategy especially buying players so they cant really sack him if he is doing what they ask.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Nov 22, 2014 08:41:17 am
      Has this been sparked by Klopp saying he's ready to manage in the Premier League?

I doubt he'd leave Dortmund to move into a worse situation at Liverpool.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #7: Nov 22, 2014 08:53:46 am
      Has this been sparked by Klopp saying he's ready to manage in the Premier League?

I doubt he'd leave Dortmund to move into a worse situation at Liverpool.

No racer,  it's just seems to me that since there is so much heat being directed at Brendan, I'm curious to know at what point (if that point arrives) will people actually call for his head?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #8: Nov 22, 2014 08:57:05 am
      I've lost faith in him at this point in time, I'll be honest, but there is no way I'd like him sacked or call for him to go.
      After I watch a game with someone these days we're like, what's the manager thinking? I don't know what his philosophy is, or what standards he aludes to, When he first came he wanted to cycle the ball around in our half, Joe Allen sideways and back passing all day long, with no pace or vigor going forward.
      Then last year he went gung-ho, with the help of Suarez orchestrating things in the final third of the pitch. Exhilarating to watch, some of the most surgical attacking football I've ever seen, ever.
      This wasn't just because suarez was here, players that have been here for a while played with that attitude and hustled to get the ball back at every opportunity.

Now, why have them very same players not progressed from all this knowledge and experience? It makes the new players look worse than they are, I'm talking mostly about midfield players here.

I can't understand why, given that he liked the tiki taka ball retention when he first came then he went all platoon the next season. why can't he find a mix, where when we are ahead or need to stop the flow of the game, we can't revert to the keeping the ball after attacking at full pace.

In fact attacking wise this season we are crap. Keeping the ball tiki taka, we are crap.

I'm wondering how this has happened because I'm looking at the players who were here last season more than the newcomers and they look a quarter of the players they were.

I'm talking about Henderson, Gerrard, Allen and Sterling. They are letting us down this season more than Balotelli, Lambert, Lallana etc.
      Coutinho looks sharper every game.

Something is going wrong at the coaching end as far as I'm concerned right now, that can be my only logical guess.

Is it the coaching plans Brendan has or is it his staff aren't all that great?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: Nov 22, 2014 08:59:26 am
      After he's taken the club as far as he can. As far as Brendan is concerned, if we didn't make top four this season or next season and there weren't obvious extenuating circumstances, I would look at it then.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Nov 22, 2014 09:09:45 am
      Apart from Roy who I thought was the wrong choice for us I've never wanted a manager gone.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Nov 22, 2014 10:16:48 am
      No racer,  it's just seems to me that since there is so much heat being directed at Brendan, I'm curious to know at what point (if that point arrives) will people actually call for his head?

And if the manager constantly gets frustrated in his attempts to sign his first choice?

Is it really him we should be looking to replace?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Nov 22, 2014 10:20:17 am
      I'll take it on a case by case basis.  Too many factors to say it's one thing that pushes me to think that way.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #13: Nov 22, 2014 10:21:32 am
      Apart from Roy who I thought was the wrong choice for us I've never wanted a manager gone.

I think I'm the same Debs.

I don't recall thinking I've wanted a manager to get sacked.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Nov 22, 2014 10:26:35 am
      I think I'm the same Debs.

I don't recall thinking I've wanted a manager to get sacked.

It's not a Liverpool thing to do though Si, we stick by our own through thick and thin.  The owners might think differently but the fans should always follow this principal, from my point of view anyway.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #15: Nov 22, 2014 10:29:19 am
      Reading the comments so far gives a comprehensive response to the thread enquiry.

BR is facing an entirely different scenario than last season when he proved that with a credible system in place, he is capable of approaching the summit.
      That set-up no longer exist and has been shaken up considerably.
      The formulae for approaching the summit with the different components in place is not accepted procedure, it can be hit and miss irrespective of the skill and experience involved.
      The manager is subject to what some would say are factors that unfairly impact on his capability of acquitting himself to a reasonable standard in his appointed role.
      The disastrous, ruinous former arseholes are mentioned previously and while it would be erroneous to attempt to compare our present owners with them, there is food for though in considering the implication of executive meddling taking precedent over managerial control and decision making.

In the case of H&G it was as described ruinous and an extreme example of the sabotage that brought LFC to the brink of bankruptcy.
      For the sake of discussion it could be said that FSG are affecting the club in the same way, albeit diluted to acceptable(?) levels.   

Calls for the manager's head are premature and misplaced.   

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2014 11:56:51 am by stuey »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16: Nov 22, 2014 10:48:35 am
      Not now anyway.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #17: Nov 22, 2014 10:52:22 am
      And if the manager constantly gets frustrated in his attempts to sign his first choice?

Is it really him we should be looking to replace?

You could argue that the likes of Koeman or Mauricio Pochettino may have done better with his transfers Under these owners than Brendan has though!

Just for the record, I'm fully behind Brendan, incase anyone thinks this is an attack Brendan thread.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #18: Nov 22, 2014 11:07:04 am
      when there isnt any hope left that the team can compete with him
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Nov 22, 2014 11:24:11 am
      You could argue that the likes of Koeman or Mauricio Pochettino may have done better with his transfers Under these owners than Brendan has though!

Just for the record, I'm fully behind Brendan, incase anyone thinks this is an attack Brendan thread.

You could argue they've been dealing with better transfers.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20: Nov 22, 2014 11:25:51 am
      You could argue they've been dealing with better transfers.

I don't like arguing  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #21: Nov 22, 2014 11:28:20 am

You started it !

:D
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22: Nov 22, 2014 11:43:23 am

Don't mention the war!

Quick Reply