Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: In game and post match fury

Read 53853 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: In game and post match fury
      Reply #621: Nov 24, 2014 12:45:25 am
      I'm not so sure Saint.

One thing the Madrid game showed me was he can select a side with a balanced midfield in front of a pretty solid looking back four. I know we didn't have much in attack but it was away in the Bernabau and my most disappointing time this season has been directly after that game when it was clear he didn't drop players but was using it as a tactic to rest his 'first team' for the Chelsea game and we all know how that worked out.

I think we do have the players to make us play more solidly and Brendan can set a team up to play less open and more pragmatic but I think he has an obsession with certain players and it may well be his downfall.

I don't think that shows he can solve the problem mate. Bit like me shutting the water off at the mains to stop a leaking pipe. It stops the leak but unless I fix the pipe it is not a solution.

A solution would be a balanced team, not just playing 9 men back defending.

I am baffled why he persists in playing the same players, in the same formations and getting the same bad results. Gerrard I suppose you could argue that he is the Captain and maybe he looks good in training when he probably doesn't have a marker on him all the time?

Johnson ... maybe he his trying to persuade him to stay and accept a smaller contract?

Lovren ... maybe he is just waiting for the return of Sakho

Very hard to defend some of Brendan's decisions.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #622: Nov 24, 2014 12:50:53 am
      I don't think that shows he can solve the problem mate. Bit like me shutting the water off at the mains to stop a leaking pipe. It stops the leak but unless I fix the pipe it is not a solution. 

Fair point but it does show he can select a side, from the squad available, that looks better defensively than we have done all season against the best side in Europe.

I am baffled why he persists in playing the same players, in the same formations and getting the same bad results.   

I'm as baffled as you but I think there is an element of truth in the theory that Brendan doesn't like to leave certain players out.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #623: Nov 24, 2014 12:54:29 am
      Fair point but it does show he can select a side, from the squad available, that looks better defensively than we have done all season against the best side in Europe.

I'm as baffled as you but I think there is an element of truth in the theory that Brendan doesn't like to leave certain players out.

If Gerrard plays in the next game there is no doubt mate. I have NEVER seen Gerrard have a worse game than this one, even when Houllier dragged him off against Basle.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #624: Nov 24, 2014 12:58:05 am
      If Gerrard plays in the next game there is no doubt mate. I have NEVER seen Gerrard have a worse game than this one, even when Houllier dragged him off against Basle.

If you mean the next league game then I agree as there is a small chance he'll be rested for the CL.

Gerrard has been sh*te all season long for the most part along with quite a few others who continually get picked and it has been my one biggest criticism of the manager this season as you know.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #625: Nov 24, 2014 01:08:14 am
      If you mean the next league game then I agree as there is a small chance he'll be rested for the CL.

Gerrard has been sh*te all season long for the most part along with quite a few others who continually get picked and it has been my one biggest criticism of the manager this season as you know.

Today Gerrard just had one of those games where nothing went right for him at all. His passing was off, he moved forward at the wrong time, he moved back at the wrong time. It was just a horrible game from him.  Have you EVER seen a game before in which Gerrard never even made one tackle ?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,005 posts | 3352 
      Reply #626: Nov 24, 2014 01:10:24 am
      Mignolet was sh*t. Fella can't kick a ball. (and no this isn't because of that one free kick that went straight into the dug out, I've said it since the day he signed). Two of the goals went straight through him. Free kick he could of do F**k all about though.

Manquillo did alright considering he was up against Bolasi. Yeah Bolasi had a good game but most of his dangerous play came from coming inside.

Skrtel was sh*t. Getting bullied by a fella half his size is shambolic.

Lovren was sh*t. Starting to believe now that the 20 million we spent on him is gonna go down as one of our biggest blunders ever.

Johnson was sh*t. Should of been sold 5 years ago...scrap that shouldn't of been bought in the first place. Doesn't care, doesn't track back, doesn't contribute anything of any good.

Gerrard was sh*t. Last year him in the "holding midfield" position worked. This year it isn't. He should be dropped, though the replacements are no better unfortunately.

Lallana was sh*t. One decent pass in the opening minute which led to the goal, followed by 70 odd minutes of F**k all.

Allen was sh*t. Some were giving him man of the match at half time? F**k me the fella is useless.

Coutinho was decent. The only one who tried and played like he would of last year. Went past Palace defenders a few times, some clever passes (even simple passes can be clever) and overall was our best player.

Sterling was sh*t. For the past two months he's done nothing for us.

Lambert was sh*t. Took his goal well then spent more time on his arse than Emile Heskey. Also for a fella who's good in the air he missed two relatively easy headers without even troubling the keeper.

Borini was sh*t. He might run but he's got about as much ability as Sean Dundee. (for those who don't remember Sean - it's not a compliment to be compared to him)

Can was sh*t. While he was only on for 15 minutes or so he did nothing.

Overall we were F***ing useless for 90 minutes.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #627: Nov 24, 2014 01:11:44 am
      Have you EVER seen a game before in which Gerrard never even made one tackle ?

I still have yet to see the game mate but I don't recall a game where he didn't make a tackle as you say.

I think he's been pretty poor, bordering on sh*te, all season long and as you know I never shirk from questioning him for as much as I love the lad for what he has done for us I think he gets a very easy ride at times and apart from post Christmas last season you could argue he has been in decline for a while now.

I've said it before but if that player wearing number 8 for us this season was anyone other than Steven Gerrad then there isn't a chance he'd still be in the side for the next league game.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #628: Nov 24, 2014 01:41:40 am
      I still have yet to see the game mate but I don't recall a game where he didn't make a tackle as you say.

I think he's been pretty poor, bordering on sh*te, all season long and as you know I never shirk from questioning him for as much as I love the lad for what he has done for us I think he gets a very easy ride at times and apart from post Christmas last season you could argue he has been in decline for a while now.

I've said it before but if that player wearing number 8 for us this season was anyone other than Steven Gerrad then there isn't a chance he'd still be in the side for the next league game.

My own view is slightly different mate. I think Gerrard has suffered more than most due to Suarez and Sturridge being absent, he has been forced to hold on to the ball more trying to find a pass, he has become frustrated that he has had to play so many sideways balls etc etc and I think it has eaten away at his confidence. Brendan needs to change things ... not Gerrard.

I am not sure if this is the beginning of the end for Gerrard, but what I do know is Brendan isn't helping by continuing to play a playmaker without a defensive midfielder alongside him when we have no one for our playmaker to hit with the pass.

If we were scoring for fun like last season, we could accept that we concede a few goals due to Gerrard's role, but when we can't score and need to be defensively strong as a result things need to change.   
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #629: Nov 24, 2014 04:40:04 am
      Haven't lost 4 games straight since Rafa.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #630: Nov 24, 2014 06:40:24 am
      Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Our planning and tactical work is sh*te therefore our performances and results are sh*te; Well deserved loss yesterday.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #631: Nov 24, 2014 08:14:47 am
      For me something is wrong in the dressing room, players/manager or players/players communication, trust, quarrels, anything that makes the dressing room unstable
        don't thing its a quality players issue 
       I think we were all happy with nearly every signing Liverpool made last summer(apart balotelli for me , still suspicious and a mystery why the Remy transfer failed )
        Now we are in this situation and form , and all the transfers are all sh*t, can-markocic-lambert-lovren-Moreno-marquillo- lallana- bet if origi came here this season he would be in the same category too, apart from Can and Marquillo (who are youth internationals) THEY ARE ALL INTERNATIONALS and are AUTO SELECTED for their country,  If that's sh*te players !!!   :mad:
        Apart from Luis and Agger nobody else left Liverpool from last season, and the rest who were here were all praised for there performances and play  , One cannot go from a great player to sh*t in a summer
            Palace? they don't have any better players than our lot, YET they outclassed Liverpool all around the pitch, because they played as a team , as ONE, I think our squad is fractured, seems they don't get along well  together any more,
         Brendan Rodgers- we sang 'there's only one BR' in april/may this year, now he is the main reason for our bad  performances for some, don't think the manager said to the players something like '' lads , forget last season , we now will start to play SLOW football''

In my opinion something is not working as it should  behind those dressing room doors.....and it has to be sorted out asap if we don't want to be fighting at the wrong end of the table come 2015

This my humble opinion

YNWA
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #632: Nov 24, 2014 09:47:17 am
      I was going to do a summary of the players,
      but this song sums it up better than I could:

Team America-EVERYONE HAS AIDS!
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #633: Nov 24, 2014 09:55:55 am
      Gerrard deserves to be dropped for a run of games. The amount of times players just walk past him with the ball is horrendous. The only reason he plays there is because he can find a pass, I'd rather have Can there where he can tackle and release the ball to Coutinho who can find a pass too.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #634: Nov 24, 2014 09:56:12 am
      Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool FC Analysis: When does a bad patch become a crisis?

Nov 23, 2014 17:27 By Neil Jones
      Brendan Rodgers is facing the biggest test of his managerial career at the moment

Liverpool's Raheem Sterling (L) and Philippe Coutinho look dejected at the end of the match
      OK, at what point does a bad patch become a full-blown crisis for Liverpool FC?

Now, after a sixth league defeat of a season which lurches from one disappointment to another? After the worst start to a league season since 1992/93?

The temptation to say ‘yes’ is growing by the minute.

Make no mistake, Brendan Rodgers is facing the toughest period of his Anfield reign. The questions are stacking up, and on this evidence the answers are a long way away.

In situations like this, the default is to search for quick solutions, obvious reasons, easy answers. It’s a transitional period, maybe, or luck hasn’t been there.

Forget that. This is not transition, this is a collective nightmare that began at Manchester City back in August, and has shown little or no sign of improving since. Here, on a ground which holds little but bad memories anyway, things got even worse.

The alarming thing is, this performance doesn’t even rank as the worst of Liverpool’s campaign. It merely sits alongside a string of other disjointed, wretched displays.

These kind of performances are simply not acceptable for a club of Liverpool’s size, means and ambitions. They are coming at home and they are coming away. They are coming against good teams and they are coming against average teams. But they keep coming. A look at the Reds’ forthcoming fixtures should inspire hope of a revival; instead, it brings fears that it may get worse still.

How quickly the world has turned. Six months ago, Liverpool came here still dreaming of a league title. Now, they leave in the bottom half of the table, having lost four successive games for the first time in five years.

Rodgers knows how badly he needs to find a solution to the Reds’ ills. The trouble is, where does he begin?

Does he start with the defence, which turned in another performance of at times staggering ineptitude? With his goalkeeper, who offers absolutely no reassurance behind them? Or with his creative contingent, who look incapable of winning games, even against modest opposition?

Indeed, some would suggest Rodgers may need to start his inquest with a long, hard look at himself in the mirror. Because if Liverpool’s players are letting their manager down, he is far from blame-free.

Those Reds fans who made the trip to South London, an awkward one at the best of times, deserve better than what they got here. They deserve a team with direction, a team with confidence, a team with conviction, a plan. It may sound harsh, but they got none of those things.

Instead, they got a defence that continues to play like strangers, a midfield that is unable to either protect or create, and a frontline that managed one shot on target in 90 minutes. And that came in the first 90 seconds of the game.

Some of the sights were horrendous. Passes going astray, weak and poorly-directed clearances, half-hearted challenges.

We had Philippe Coutinho belting the ball against Steven Gerrard. We had Gerrard berating Dejan Lovren after being wiped out in the air by his centre half. We had another lesson for Martin Skrtel about the perils of shirt-pulling. And we had Simon Mignolet smashing a free kick straight out of play. Twenty seconds later, Crystal Palace took the lead. Game over.

“I don’t think it’s a crisis, but it’s certainly not to the levels we expect,” said Rodgers afterwards.

How can he get it to the “levels we expect” then? It isn’t what any Red will want to hear, but there is no obvious answer, no quick fix.

Rodgers has to try, somehow, to inject some life into this team. Here, he spoke of a lack of confidence, of a lack of intensity and, most worryingly, of a lack of “togetherness.” These are big issues, and issues that won’t be solved overnight.

If he is as good a manager as last season suggested – and let’s be fair, there is enough evidence to suggest he is - then now is the time to show it.

He needs to remind certain players of their qualities, their duties, remind them that six months ago they were a side who believed, however crazily, that they could win a Premier League away game 10-0.

Players have come and gone since then, of course, but Rodgers is still entitled to expect more from those who remain. Gerrard, Coutinho, Skrtel, Mignolet, Johnson, Sterling; none of them are performing. None of the new signings, Adam Lallana perhaps excepted, have delivered anything like what they were supposed to.

“I’m not arrogant enough to believe I will be in a job through anything,” Rodgers said. “As a manager, you have to get results.”

That, really, is the bottom line. Results make everything else OK, and when they don’t come, they lead to inquests. And the manager, the figurehead, is the one who is ultimately accountable.

It would be, in this column’s opinion, unfair in the extreme to call for Rodgers’ head on a stick at this stage, but another setback in the Champions League on Wednesday night would crank the pressure up further still.

Because however you dress it up, Liverpool’s season is in danger of imploding before they’ve even started their Christmas shopping. And Rodgers knows it

link

Get rid of the YES men, Brendan.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #635: Nov 24, 2014 09:59:32 am
      This is a F***ing crisis already!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #636: Nov 24, 2014 10:06:41 am
      He should bunker down in Melwood and keep the press at arms length because they just want a story and will twist everything.
      That was a terrible performance I can see Alan Hansen spending half an hour on MOTD picking apart that defensive display it would have looked fine in a Big Top surrounded by men with big red noses and boots that don't fit.If we get beat on Weds what then if we get beat on Sat what then its going to be a sh*t storm around anfield and I don't see many if any willing to step up.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #637: Nov 24, 2014 10:10:54 am
      I'm glad there is not a poll up on who was our MOTM...would have voted None of the above.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #638: Nov 24, 2014 10:12:15 am
      I'm glad there is not a poll up on who was our MOTM...would have voted None of the above.

Sign of the times when a "None of the above" option would be justified.
      At this rate they may cancel the SC Player of the Month award.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      Reply #639: Nov 24, 2014 10:15:42 am
      Sign of the times when a "None of the above" option would be justified.
      At this rate they may cancel the SC Player of the Month award.

Would actually be very interesting to see who they give it too, if anyone at all.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #640: Nov 24, 2014 10:16:37 am
      Would actually be very interesting to see who they give it too, if anyone at all.

Maybe Coutinho, but he's had F**k all competition.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #641: Nov 24, 2014 11:47:43 am
      I thought coutinho did ok yesterday. He always wants to get on the ball. He always tries to make something happen ... with a pass or taking people on. Final ball obviously needs work as does his consiatancy ... but he has the quality.

As for the rest of them yesterday .... a complete dogs dinner.

Just my opinion ... but since my first game in 82 ive never seen a goalkeeper as bad as mignolet. 2 goals straight through him yesterday ... no composure ... no command of box and distribution shocking.

Lovren and johnson should be nowhere near this team. Everytime he picks them brendan puts another nail in his own coffin. The both of them on the team in bad enough ... but on the same side of the pitch? Only an idiot like warnock would take 75 minutes to realise bolasie should be on the right.

The protection infront of this shambolic defence is non existant as is the creativity.

Sterling needs taking out of the firing line until the new year. He is nowhere near what he is capable of and needs a break.

Lallana needs a good run in the team ... as does lambert.

But brendan will stick with johnson ... as well as lovren and bring back balotelli ... he keeps talking about finding solutions but alot of the problems are staring him in the face week in week out but he ignores them and carries on regardless.

Coutinho and sturridge aside his signings have been shocking ... whoevers fault it is.

The chavs get costa and fabregas for 62m yet we spunk 60m on lovren markovic balotelli and lambert. Is markovic better than ibe or suso? Is lovren better than toure or agger. Is minolet better than jones or reina ... is johnson better than moreno? Is manquillo better than flanagan?

This season is going to be painful ... it will get worse. I cant see any light at the end of the tunnel.

A few lads did well in madrid. He dumped them in the next game for the usual failing suspects. He broke the dressing room there for me.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      Reply #642: Nov 24, 2014 12:10:23 pm
      Maybe Coutinho, but he's had f**k all competition.

I'd give it to Kolo!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #643: Nov 24, 2014 01:07:12 pm

I'd  have voted Cou as MOTM, at least he showed some guts and determination  going past players but sadly he couldn;t find anyone to make the final pass, everyone is so static and running away from him.

Quick Reply