Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Difficult decisions - tough times!

Read 2781 times
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Difficult decisions - tough times!
      Nov 23, 2014 07:24:10 pm
      I think it is has come to the point that Brendan Rodgers needs to make seriously difficult decisions and stamp his authority on the team - before its too late. I think he is a very good manager but if things do not improve then our main January signing may be a new manager.

So what needs to be done (and of course this will differ between each poster)...

- Understand that Simon Mignolet needs to be proved upon (although there are more pressing issues)
      - Never play Glen Johnson again (offload him in January if possible)
      - Bite his lip and get Mamadou Sakho straight back into the back four as soon as humanly possible
      - Drop Gerrard! Probably the hardest thing to do but he should be nothing more than an impact sub and played further forward
      - Utilise Lucas Leiva as a shield in front of the defence (perhaps the only defensive midfielder we really have on our books)
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Difficult decisions - tough times!
      Reply #1: Nov 23, 2014 07:25:02 pm
      it is already too late mate
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2: Nov 23, 2014 07:36:52 pm
      I think it is has come to the point that Brendan Rodgers needs to make seriously difficult decisions and stamp his authority on the team - before its too late. I think he is a very good manager but if things do not improve then our main January signing may be a new manager.

So what needs to be done (and of course this will differ between each poster)...

- Understand that Simon Mignolet needs to be proved upon (although there are more pressing issues)
      - Bite his lip and get Mamadou Sakho straight back into the back four as soon as humanly possible
      - Drop Gerrard! Probably the hardest thing to do but he should be nothing more than an impact sub and played further forward
      - Utilise Lucas Leiva as a shield in front of the defence (perhaps the only defensive midfielder we really have on our books)

Sorry but in what way is he a good manager, its a serious question, because I consider him utterly inept.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Nov 23, 2014 07:39:12 pm
      Sorry but in what way is he a good manager, its a serious question, because I consider him utterly inept.

I said he is a good manager simply because he lead us to 2nd in the league last season. Everyone can point to the fact that we had Suarez and Sturridge firing on all cylinders and they may have made up for our inept defence but he surely deserves some credit for allowing the team to express themselves like they did last season. Perhaps he has let that success go to his head somewhat but there is no doubt he is a good manager.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #4: Nov 23, 2014 07:45:29 pm
      there is no doubt he is a good manager.

I think some people do have doubts.

Back to the OP - he's going to have to change some of the names on his automatic teamsheet and he's going to have to switch his formation.  Lallana and Allen were arguably two of our better players today and they both got hauled off so I have very little confidence in his ability to do so.

I think the farce surrounding the Madrid game, and the subsequent benching of all the players who did okay has muddied the waters for him in the minds of many Liverpool fans who don't have much fondness for being fed bullshit.

He should spend far more time straightening out the team and less team farting about in the media trying to help Gerrard get a new contract that quite frankly he doesn't deserve on present form.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #5: Nov 23, 2014 07:47:50 pm
      He should spend far more time straightening out the team and less team farting about in the media

This for me.

Needs to do his talking on the training field to his players not in interviews to the media. It's always irrated me he goes on talksport and the like. What other "top" managers would go down such routes.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Nov 23, 2014 07:49:11 pm

Known my stance.

Clutch and straws come to mind.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #7: Nov 23, 2014 07:57:40 pm
      I hope he realises tough decisions have to be made and he mans up. He is fighting for his job and he needs to put the club over himself and be humble enough to realise that things are seriously wrong and he can't fix them all on his own. He needs to add to his backroom staff, he needs to drop those who are not performing irrespective of their reputations and costs.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #8: Nov 23, 2014 08:09:44 pm
      manger never drop gerrard, he move into his old house with his bit on side, time go brendan and our football is geting worse watch
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #9: Nov 24, 2014 12:21:16 am
      I think some people do have doubts.

Back to the OP - he's going to have to change some of the names on his automatic teamsheet and he's going to have to switch his formation.  Lallana and Allen were arguably two of our better players today and they both got hauled off so I have very little confidence in his ability to do so.

I think the farce surrounding the Madrid game, and the subsequent benching of all the players who did okay has muddied the waters for him in the minds of many Liverpool fans who don't have much fondness for being fed bullshit.

He should spend far more time straightening out the team and less team farting about in the media trying to help Gerrard get a new contract that quite frankly he doesn't deserve on present form.

Brendan's obsession with Gerrard could ultimately be his undoing.

After the latest defeat I think Brendan has been backed into a corner and surely by now he can see his policy of constantly selecting players who don't merit it has to end.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Nov 24, 2014 12:24:26 am
      After the latest defeat I think Brendan has been backed into a corner and surely by now he can see his policy of constantly selecting players who don't merit it has to end.

We can hope mate, but it wont happen.

Gerrard, Lovren and Johnson will all play. At this point there's conspiracy theories flying around as to why they're getting picked so consistently. Not buying in to them yet but I can't believe Brendan is that stupid that he doesn't see the problem so there's something that connects the two that I don't believe we're aware of right now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #11: Nov 24, 2014 12:27:02 am

Gerrard, Lovren and Johnson will all play. At this point there's conspiracy theories flying around as to why they're getting picked so consistently. Not buying in to them yet but I can't believe Brendan is that stupid that he doesn't see the problem so there's something that connects the two that I don't believe we're aware of right now.

I think the coming weeks will show if Brendan is 'that stupid' or if he realises his job may be on the line and he starts to select his side on merit.

I'm not holding my breath however and like you I can't see the day when he leaves out the likes of Gerrard and Johnson.
      « Last Edit: Nov 24, 2014 12:39:38 am by srslfc »
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #12: Nov 24, 2014 12:37:53 am

What's the conspiracy theories?
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Nov 24, 2014 12:38:15 am

I don't really believe in them to be honest. If he is, then he should clearly speak up as that is no way the club should be managed.

There was a ruling that Victor Moses had to play a certain number of games which formed part of his loan but I don't think there is anything that says Johnson, Gerrard and Lovren have to play week in-week out.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Nov 24, 2014 12:40:36 am
      Start picking players on form and not reputation.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15: Nov 24, 2014 12:42:41 am

The main one is that Gerrard has more of an influence on Rodgers decisions than is healthy (to put it mildly).

The 2nd I'm not even going to state as I think it's total bollocks and would rather not give it any extra traction.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #16: Nov 24, 2014 12:44:21 am

Thankfully more constructive than your last debacle of a post. I doubt very much they'll get rid of him mid-season and to be honest I doubt very much they will get rid of him at the end of the season, especially after he signed a contract extension last Summer. They will probably accept that players taking time to settle in is part and parcel of their strategy for the club, even if every man and his dog can see that strategy is killing us.

- We need a better keeper than Mignolet. I was against his signing in the first place, saying he wasn't good enough to be our first choice keeper. He'll do fine as a replacement for Jones though.
      - Johnson gets slaughtered even when he plays reasonably well. He's not the best of fullbacks and does need replacing but he's not half as bad as he's made out to be.
      - Lovren needs to be rested for a while because his head is in pieces. Take him out of the limelight, build up his confidence in training before bringing him back in to the team.
      - I wouldn't drop him but I wouldn't play him at the base of the diamond. Playing him further forward with his range of passing might bring the best out of Balotelli.
      - Without two strikers there's no pressing need to play a diamond formation so we should play with two holding midfielders. Throw Allen or Chan in next to Lucas.

In January we need to spend a decent amount of money on two highly experienced, established players. One goal keeper to be our first choice, one striker who can operate alongside or instead of Sturridge. In the Summer Lambert and Borini are moved on and Origi arrives. That's our four strikers sorted. Our biggest problem right now is the lack of any movement up front in the absence of a striker who operates like Suarez or Sturridge. Without that movement Gerrard's weaknesses are exposed whilst his talents are unable to be brought to bear. Players like Sterling and Lallana have no spaces to run in to because no one is dragging defenders out of position. Having Gerrard further forward could mean he's able to play these guys in because the balls he's playing are going to be shorter; and if we want to play two strikers play Borini up front with one of the other two. Above all I want to see the Brendan of last season, the one that outwitted opponents on multiple occasions with his tactical changes and adaptation to their tactics, something he's not shown any of this season. Let's get a bit of belief back in this side and we can turn this season around.
      « Last Edit: Nov 24, 2014 01:23:45 am by 5timesacharm »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #17: Nov 24, 2014 12:47:02 am
      The main one is that Gerrard has more of an influence on Rodgers decisions than is healthy (to put it mildly).

I don't think it's difficult to believe this one Luke.

insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #18: Nov 24, 2014 12:49:11 am

The 2nd I'm not even going to state as I think it's total bollocks and would rather not give it any extra traction.

Interesting - is Stevie G picking Glen Johnson and Dejan Lovren every week then?

I'd love to know the second one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #19: Nov 24, 2014 12:51:52 am

I'm curious to know as well. ;D

Spill the beans Luke even if it is bollocks.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: Nov 24, 2014 12:57:39 am

Spill the beans Luke even if it is bollocks.

Fine and I re-iterate I think this is complete bollocks.

Gerrard allegedly has dirt on Rodgers regarding his break up with his Mrs and this is where the influence / power becomes unhealthy.
      (The lad went as far and said that Gerrard looks after his friends in the team)

To me there's far too much co-incidence in that coming out after the first and it's just been embellished.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #21: Nov 24, 2014 01:01:40 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-makes-4509504

Plus Stevie G is Rodgers' landlord.

And to add more fuel to the fire, Stevie G is also working with Glen Johnson as part of his property management company...

http://www.johnsonsrealestate.com/
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Nov 24, 2014 01:01:42 am
      Fine and I re-iterate I think this is complete bollocks.

Gerrard allegedly has dirt on Rodgers regarding his break up with his Mrs and this is where the influence / power becomes unhealthy.
      (The lad went as far and said that Gerrard looks after his friends in the team)

To me there's far too much co-incidence in that coming out after the first and it's just been embellished.

Is this the cocaine rumour mate?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #23: Nov 24, 2014 01:03:08 am
      Is this the cocaine rumour mate?

No idea what the dirt is meant to be mate.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #24: Nov 24, 2014 02:43:47 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-makes-4509504

Plus Stevie G is Rodgers' landlord.

And to add more fuel to the fire, Stevie G is also working with Glen Johnson as part of his property management company...

http://www.johnsonsrealestate.com/

Johnsons realestate? like the pr**k has not made enough money collecting 120 a week for sweet F**k all.

Greedy bas**rds the lot of them focus should be fighting for the shirt week in and week out not growing your personal wealth.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #25: Nov 24, 2014 04:44:42 am

F***ing hell.  I didn't see that article when it came out.  What a F***ing mess.  This one moves into that one's house, that one moves with his bird into this one's house, this one pays that one, that one gets money from this one.  The whole thing reeks to high heavens if you ask me.  makes it look like some sort of corrupt old boys' club.  I'm sorry but if that is true there is no way anyone can honestly believe that it doesn't affect the relationships between the players and the manager etc. 

"Hey Stevie lad, you're old and past it so I'm going to drop you.  Oh by the way here is this month's rent."
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Nov 24, 2014 05:39:39 am
      This really sticks out at me;

"I think the pressure is if you're Manchester City or Chelsea, and you've spent that money and you expect to win the league.

"That's probably pressure. I don't think there's pressure on us, other than what we have from within.

"Look at Tottenham. If you spend more than Ā£100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league."

Talk about eating your own words.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #27: Nov 24, 2014 06:05:47 am
      Talk about eating your own words.

the rules don't apply to Rodgers.

haven't you learned that by now?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6719 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #28: Nov 24, 2014 08:09:12 am
      Stop being so F***ing stubborn Brendan. You are killing us.

Your formation and tactics worked last year because we had the 2 best Strikers in the League playing for us.

We don't anymore so get yer sh*t together, rip up your old tactics and get with the times. Unfortunately I think it's too late but better late then never!
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #29: Nov 24, 2014 09:02:59 am
      This is what Readingā€™s chairman stated after he sacked Rodgers 5 years ago:

ā€œI understand he didnā€™t have much time but we got on a slippery slope and it just got worse. Signings didnā€™t settle, Brendan was adamant his style of play would eventually work. Results kept getting worse, performances too. Results & performances did not match what the manager was consistently telling me. The fans started to tell me a different story. Brendan refused to comprehend the notion of changing his ways so adamant was he that he would be successful. The only thing that was changing rapidly was our league position. Was it hasty sacking him? (No) Did we avoid relegation with McDermott? (Yes)ā€ā€

If you compare that Rodgers with last season's man, you will not see anything similar. Learns from mistake, choosing the inform players etc. However this seasons and the things going on are exactly like his words.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #30: Nov 24, 2014 10:29:52 am

Robbie Fowler ā€@Robbie9Fowler 
      Times are tough .... Remember
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31: Nov 24, 2014 10:40:34 am
      When Lovren slipped for the second goal Stevie looked across to him and his look said everything you need to know.
      It was a look of disbelief that he couldn't even stay on his feet and get a tackle in just so basic a task.
      The players obviously don't trust each other you have last seasons who got us second and this seasons who have not done much at all.
      There is a divide at Melwood and that's not a good thing
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #32: Nov 24, 2014 11:05:39 am
      One of the most significant problems we have currently is that our club captain has not been offered a new contract.  Now first off, I don't think he deserves one but I respect the views of many that have said he does deserve one.

Either way - it's extremely unproductive for a football club to have a club captain who could, in theory, be arranging a bosman deal as we speak.

If LFC are going to offer him a new contract they should have sorted it by now.  If they're not then I don't see how he can remain as captain?

Does that make sense.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #33: Nov 24, 2014 11:18:42 am
      One of the most significant problems we have currently is that our club captain has not been offered a new contract.  Now first off, I don't think he deserves one but I respect the views of many that have said he does deserve one.

Either way - it's extremely unproductive for a football club to have a club captain who could, in theory, be arranging a bosman deal as we speak.

If LFC are going to offer him a new contract they should have sorted it by now.  If they're not then I don't see how he can remain as captain?

Does that make sense.

Have we ever been on top of our game when it comes to contracts?

We always seem to piss around in this department where as other clubs get this boxed off very early.

The only person that I can recall who knew what it was doing was Sir John Smith. Retired in 1990, and there you have it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34: Nov 24, 2014 11:19:40 am

Does that make sense.

I think having two players (Gerrard and Johnson) who seem to be picked whether they play well or not in the team after being asked to accept half the wages they were on is asking for trouble. Being senior players (one the Captain) can only exacerbate any problems.

I think Gerrard deserves a new contract but I agree it should have been sorted one way or the other some time ago and allowing the uncertainty to continue is unhelpful to say the least.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Nov 24, 2014 11:24:41 am

Does that make sense.

100%.
      Begs the question:
      If Brendan is keeping him as captain and FSG aren't going to meet his demands
      then what the F**k is going on between Brendan and FSG?

Hardly the consistent approach of parties that are focused on the same goals.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #36: Nov 24, 2014 11:37:12 am

Does that make sense.

What does not make sense are the decisions by whoever is cracking the F***ing whip (and that in itself is a mystery) resulting in our captain and supporters left in a limbo.
      This flies in the face as do so many actualities, of FSG's claimed ''long term viability'' interest for LFC.
      How the F**k can you base success on doubt and suspicion?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #37: Nov 24, 2014 12:01:08 pm
      It's got to be a tricky political decision for the manager.

He is on the verge of losing the dressing room and he needs Gerrard on his side.

Dropping him means he would be unlikely to sign that new contract he wants and he could well lose the squad as Stevie would no doubt perceive he was being blamed for the poor results and go into one of his sulks.

At this point in time though we need to get results more than anything else.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #38: Nov 24, 2014 12:15:53 pm
      If we do appoint a new manager, I'd actually be for a complete clearout of the old guard.

Stevie G has been a loyal servant and a linchpin for our team for over 15 years now but unlike Jamie Carragher, seems hellbent on wanting to play on which is absolutely fine - but perhaps a move away from the club may be good for all concerned. Then there are the likes of Glen Johnson and Martin Skrtel who have become stale and also need to move on I feel.

What we need is a new spine to the team and it has to start with a replacement for Stevie G first and foremost for me. He's a terrific player and still has something to offer but until he moves on, I just don't see the team progressing for the future.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #39: Nov 24, 2014 01:07:49 pm
      i think a new manager should get rid of three quarters of our players ... i would only keep moreno, sakho, can, sterling, coutinho and sturridge and maybe lucas, lallana as cover
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #40: Nov 24, 2014 01:11:26 pm
      i think a new manager should get rid of three quarters of our players ... i would only keep moreno, sakho, can, sterling, coutinho and sturridge and maybe lucas as cover

You would get rid of Lallana and Hendo too? Come on mate get a grip.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #41: Nov 24, 2014 01:19:24 pm
      i've edited my post and said i would keep lallana as cover ... henderson i think is overrated lately
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42: Nov 24, 2014 01:22:56 pm
      So far this season fans have scapegoated

Mignolet
      Johnson
      Skrtel
      Lovern
      Gerrard
      Coutinho
      Balotelli
      Markovic
      Borini (mostly for staying)
      Rodgers
      Pascoe/Marsh

And of course the loss of Suarez and then inuries to Sturridge. Thats a sad f**king picture. In truth not one person at the club is doing there job to the best of there ability and there in lies the problem

The manager keeps going with the same system thats not working and picking the same players who arent doing it. The players need a kick in the arse not an arm around the shoulder and be told to sort themselves out, every one of them. 2 glaring incidents yesterday that hammer home our mindset. Skrtel and Lovern leaving a ball for each other to deal with which could easily have seen a palace man get on the ball ina very dangerous area before eventually Skrtel decided to hoof it out, both men captain there country I believe but neither wanted to take control of that situation. The 2nd incident highlights the lack of brain power in the team, Manquillos shot that fired across the goalmouth. Not 1 Liverpool player gambled on that happenning to make a run toward the 6 yard box to tap it in. A Fowler or a Rush would have turned that terrible shot into a goal. Not 1 pllayer on the pitch had that mindset. Even if the shot forced a save and the keeper spilled it tehre was no player bothered for a follow up

Our problems are far deeper then any player or the management team. Some old school work needed now. Absolutely bollox them out of it in training push them to the limit then go on the p*ss every last man in the team. If 2 players need a punch up to solve any issue let them off at it and clear the air. Because at the minute to a man they are a disgrace to this club
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #43: Nov 24, 2014 01:38:15 pm
      Last year I was continuously refusing to accept the fact, that Suarez was the only  reason for our good performances.
      I was saying that football is a team game and although he is our most valuable asset the whole team contributes to our good results.
      Also I was praising BR for using Gerrard as a deep lying MF.
      However, the weak defense was there all along. Terrible defense but an awesome attack.
      This year the defense stayed the same. We pretty much gonna end up at around 50 goals against, but we are far away from the 101 that we scored last year.
      I do not only blame BR. It's the whole team that has been confused by the departure of Suarez and the constant injuries of Sturridge. There is a lack of confidence and you can see that in the way we play. Last year the players were coming on the pitch and you can sense the confidence. This year you can see the fear of a potential defeat in every game.
      BR is 100% responsible for the transfers he picked, and for the stubbornness of not having a plan B when everything is wrong.
      However, FSG should also have a plan B when everything goes wrong and I do not mean to sack the manager.

It's dark times. I hope that with a win in the CHL the confidence will come back.

Quick Reply