Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Brucie says reds need to replace Mignolet in January

Read 8131 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Brucie says reds need to replace Mignolet in January
      Reply #23: Nov 26, 2014 11:33:42 pm
      It's a shame his substitute is of League One standards. No serious competition.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #24: Nov 26, 2014 11:44:46 pm
      Thought our woes were getting so bad Bruce Forsyth had an opinion on it.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #25: Nov 26, 2014 11:45:55 pm
      Look at all the clubs with TWO top keepers---United have De Gea AND Valdes; Chelsea have Courtois AND Cech; Bayern have Neuer AND Pepe; Barca have Ter-Stegen AND Bravo.

They all get 2, we don't even have ONE!!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: Nov 26, 2014 11:48:43 pm

Has Valdes really signed for United? Missed it if true
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #27: Nov 26, 2014 11:51:16 pm
      Look at all the clubs with TWO top keepers---United have De Gea AND Valdes; Chelsea have Courtois AND Cech; Bayern have Neuer AND Pepe; Barca have Ter-Stegen AND Bravo.

Funny you mention Pepe at Bayern. We thought it'd be wise to replace him with Simon and even when he returned here, we opted to keep Jones as our no.2 keeper. Let him go to Bayern, they are only a top top club in Europe - why would they buy our rubbish for.

Again, his departure either boiled down to one of two things. Brendan feeling challenged by him or the committee wanting to force him out because of his above average wages at the club. Happened to Agger as well. Players who actually have a voice. Looking at all of our players now, they are young and clearly too scared to speak up for themselves. Rodgers does not like a defiant character at this club.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,515 posts | 713 
      Reply #28: Nov 26, 2014 11:51:37 pm
      I disagree.

52 goals last season is not ALL THE GOALKEEPERS FAULT.

its not possible. Its a combination of 1) not a real holding midfielder in the side, 2) poor overall defending, 3)goalkeeping.

It place it all on the shoulders of the keeps is crazy. Even with a new keeper we'd still let goals in.

Pointless
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #29: Nov 27, 2014 12:20:54 am
      I disagree.

52 goals last season is not ALL THE GOALKEEPERS FAULT.

its not possible. Its a combination of 1) not a real holding midfielder in the side, 2) poor overall defending, 3)goalkeeping.

It place it all on the shoulders of the keeps is crazy. Even with a new keeper we'd still let goals in.

Pointless

Somewhat true..

But sure, a defense also needs to be held responsible for a high goals conceded rate, but that could also be resultant of poor tactical coaching. Having a strong defense is as much about organisation as it is player quality. There is no coincidence that Jose Mourinho's teams have always been defensively sound, regardless of who he plays. Our defense may appear shabby at this present time, but Skrtel and Co are all proven defenders in the top flight - they really ought not to be that bad. As someone mentioned earlier, our fullbacks bombing up the wings leaves us exposed and fragile at the back. How do our players mark? That's a structured part of the game. Do they push up and play the opponents offside? Again, another structured part of the game. Zonal or man marking at set pieces? Do they stand on the goal line during corners? This is coached stuff. It doesn't come naturally. Mignolet on the other hand fails to catch a tame shot that is basically aimed straight towards him. What does he do? Parry it right into the path of a Ludogorets player. He's a goalkeeper. This should be incredibly basic stuff for him. Admittedly you could argue that commanding the area and knowing when to come out to collect a cross or when to remain on your line is something you get better at with age, but not making a simple save like he failed to make today.

Brucies words may have seemed harsh at the time, but they were accurate nonetheless.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #30: Nov 27, 2014 12:22:33 am
      It's a shame his substitute is of League One standards. No serious competition.

Part of the problem indeed mate.

Add playing behind a shamolic, at times, back four and the fact Mignolet himself hasn't imporved in any of the areas he was weak in last season leaves us in a dire state as far as the keeper position goes.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #31: Nov 27, 2014 12:36:30 am
      Get somebody in there to instill some confidence in the rest of the lot. And do it quick. Mignolet is not cutting it.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #32: Nov 27, 2014 08:25:51 am
      As a ex goalkeeper myself I have to say mugs is absolutley dreadful .
      He is devoid of confidence ,his positions is suspect at best ,my three year old is more commanding than he is .
      That 1st goal was laughable that should of being body behind the ball and catch 1st easy rule of goalkeeping.
      Go to stoke and ask them what they want for begovic how no one has landed him is beyond me.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #33: Nov 27, 2014 08:44:13 am
      Loved Grobelaar as a keeper at the time, but how he has the nerve to criticise anybody after getting caught taking a bung is beyond me.

Mignolet is not great on crosses, its true, but he is not the main problem with our defence - overall poor oragnisation is.
      Plus shot-stopping is quite a big part of being a goalie and he has pulled off a lot of great saves for us over the last season and a half, including against Palace the other day. Lots of young goalies take time to settle - think of de Gea when he first went to ManUre.
      Mignolet overall has done ok, and should be given more time.

Shot stopping is a vital part of a 'keeper's role, accepted.
      Distribution, controlling your area of play and stamping authority on a game are as necessary as the shot stopping quality and just as vital.
      A relative mastery of all is ideal but rarely encountered, having a passable talent for just one of those requirements however is entirely unacceptable in the upper tiers of football.
      Maybe the ''time to settle'' you speak of is a part of another obscure long term plan for the club.

Whatever went on with Grobelaar in his day he pulled some superhuman saves out the bag as well as scaring the sh*t out of anyone that dared set foot in his territory.
      His penalty showstoppers are well documented.
      If anyone is qualified to comment on a Liverpool goalkeeper's qualities Brucie is your man.
      « Last Edit: Nov 27, 2014 09:38:01 am by stuey »
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #34: Nov 27, 2014 09:19:13 am
      Shot stopping is a vital part of a 'keepers role, accepted.
      Distribution, controlling your area of play and stamping authority on a game are as necessary as the shot stopping quality and just as vital.
      A relative mastery of all is ideal but rarely encountered, having a passable talent for just one of those requirements however is entirely unacceptable in the upper tiers of football.
      Maybe the ''time to settle'' you speak of is a part of another obscure long term plan for the club.
      Exactly, I'd rather him be better at commanding the box and marshalling the defence than being a decent shot stopper.

I think we'd concede far less if that was the case.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #35: Nov 27, 2014 09:41:31 am
      Thought he was a poor buy at the time, thought he was poor all last season with the exception of some good saves, he's done nothing to change my mind, apart from the odd wonderful save, he's sh*te at everything else.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36: Nov 27, 2014 09:44:21 am
      I thought he was going to be a big improvement on Reina.... I was wrong.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #37: Nov 27, 2014 09:47:25 am
       Pepe had his chance to prove himself at Napoli with his favourite manager and goalkeeping coach and his performances didn't justify them paying a cut price fee to keep him. He has gone into semi retirement getting that backup position in Germany and should be nowhere near an elite side as number one.

Why we have Brad jones when he is too poor to rely on in these circumstances is a complete mystery. The bit about having two first line keepers Federer wrote above is bollocks - this is teh first season that Chelsea have had Courtois and Cech in the same location and, by all accounts, they are looking to rectify that in the January transfer window. Valdes and reina are not serious competition for the number one slots. Paying a keeper 5 million pounds a year to sit on the bench is money that we can better use elsewhere.

i do remain puzzled at the initial acquisition of mignolet - as pointed out above, his game doesn't suit what we are doing at all. when i first heard the signing i assumed the scouts had seen some incredible potential in him and we could coach the bits we needed into him but there has been little sign he can overcome his natural deficiencies.
      redder
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -2 
      Reply #38: Nov 27, 2014 01:31:26 pm

As the average premier league sub keeper is used only once in 109 matches (almost 3 seasons), having a second quality keeper isn't all that important in my view. Only perhaps to keep your first choice thinking there is a chance he will be dropped. But anyone with passion for the team shouldn't have to use that as motivation.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4401 
      Reply #39: Nov 27, 2014 02:25:52 pm
      Surely the U21 keeper is better than Migs if Rodgers has no faith in Brad Jones.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #40: Nov 27, 2014 02:41:35 pm
      Unless we are flirting with relegation, the management team will keep playing him till he looks like a £9m player. Otherwise FSG will lose money on the trade.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,594 posts | 6926 
      Reply #41: Nov 27, 2014 03:00:00 pm
      Cech  may be available in January and thats no joke.

Good chance of getting him too now that we are effectively no threat to Chelsea.

Unless we are flirting with relegation, the management team will keep playing him till he looks like a £9m player. Otherwise FSG will lose money on the trade.

How much is the knockout phase of the CL worth?

How much does each place in the league pay out?

Might lose more than £9M on him if they keep playing him.

Surely the U21 keeper is better than Migs if Rodgers has no faith in Brad Jones.

If Rodgers has got no faith in Jones then he shouldn't be in the 18 man squad.  There was no need for Reina to get sold other than he didn't get on with Brendan.
      redder
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -2 
      Reply #42: Nov 27, 2014 05:51:01 pm
      [quote author JD

How much does each place in the league pay out?

[/quote]

Each higher place in the league only pays out 750k I think
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #43: Nov 27, 2014 10:53:35 pm
      I wonder what sage advice Mignolet will be giving in 30 years....
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #44: Nov 27, 2014 11:11:23 pm
      Loved Grobelaar as a keeper at the time, but how he has the nerve to criticise anybody after getting caught taking a bung is beyond me.

Yeah,  and how anybody doesn't know by now that Brucie was cleared of those charges,  is beyond me!!!
      Call yourself a Liverpool supporter?  He was framed by the S*n of all papers ffs

Go sit in the corner!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #45: Nov 27, 2014 11:17:34 pm
      Good chance of getting him too now that we are effectively no threat to Chelsea.

I really can not see Cech wanting to join us. He'll either join a top European team or go to Man City or Arsenal. I think we'll have more of a chance with Begovic though.

Quick Reply