Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Getting our transfers right.

Read 1590 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Getting our transfers right.
      Nov 26, 2014 05:05:13 pm
      Looking at the £225 million we have spent under Brendan, I think we can all agree that we have not achieved either the level of player that we wanted or value for money in our transfer dealings.

Although it is far too early to definitively judge whether the latest batch of players have been a success, it is certainly true that they have produced little enough to put the manager's job and our european qualification at risk. That means that, in the short term, the transfers have been a disaster for the manager - just as Kenny's were. There are signs that the players will pick up form however, just as it was for Kenny, this upturn may come too late for the manager and team.

We were meant to have signed some of Man City's best scouts who were apparently operating at genius level in terms of statistics; the manager was meant to be working hand-in-glove with the committee to identify our needs - what has gone wrong? is it the case that we are identifying the right players and failing to get the deal done or are we just picking the wrong players in the first place?

For me, getting the deal done to bring the players here is easy if we are certain they are going to be a success. we would happily have paid double for Suarez if we knew how much we could eventually sell him for.

We are still failing to confidently identify the RIGHT players that we need.

I have posted a list of the players that we have bought for Brendan but it's just as instructive to look at the ones we missed out on. It's easy to say now that we should have overpaid to bring Costa and Sanchez here but was it reqally worth doing that for Salah? or Siggurdson? or Konoplyanka? or Papadopoulous? or Willian? None of the latter bunch is exactly pulling up trees.

Why did the gamble work with (for example) Suarez and fail with (for example) Balotelli? Both were outrageously talented, controversial, immature in character.

How do we change the system so we pick more Suarez and less Balo?

Do we sack the scouts and start over again - in the meanwhile being prey to the usual problems of relying on agents to bring in the players we need?

Do we give complete control of the pursestrings to the manager - who doesn't have the greatest track record amongst the players we have signed so far and wanted to bring in the likes of Ashley Williams and Clint Dempsey?

Do we appoint a Director of Football  - someone like Rafa - to identify and bring in the players we need - or will that be an intolerable threat to any manager's position in case results take a downturn?

Since we aren't going to be outspending our rivals anytime soon the key to our future success lies in answering the key  question of how we go about identifying the talent we need.

Player    Club    Fee    Date
      Fabio Borini    Roma    Â£10,400,000    13 July 2012
      Joe Allen    Swansea City    Â£15,000,000    10 August 2012
      Oussama Assaidi    Heerenveen    Â£3,000,000    17 August 2012
      Nuri Sahin    Real Madrid    On Loan    25 August 2012
      Samed Yesil    Bayer Leverkusen    Â£1,000,000    30 August 2012
      Daniel Sturridge    Chelsea    Â£12,000,000    2 January 2013
      Philippe Coutinho    Inter Milan    Â£8,500,000    30 January 2013
      João Carlos Teixeira    Sporting Lisbon    Â£830,000    31 January 2013
      Luis Alberto    Sevilla    Â£6,800,000    22 June 2013
      Iago Aspas    Celta Vigo    Â£7,000,000    23 June 2013
      Simon Mignolet    Sunderland    Â£9,000,000    25 June 2013
      Kolo Touré    Free Transfer    Free    2 July 2013
      Aly Cissokho    Valencia    On Loan *    20 August 2013
      Mamadou Sakho    Paris St Germain    Â£15,000,000    2 September 2013
      Tiago Ilori    Sporting Lisbon    Â£7,000,000    2 September 2013
      Victor Moses    Chelsea    On Loan *    2 September 2013
      Rickie Lambert    Southampton    Â£4,500,000    2 June 2014
      Adam Lallana    Southampton    Â£25,000,000 *    1 July 2014
      Emre Can    Bayer Leverkusen    Â£9,750,000    3 July 2014
      Lazar Markovic    Benfica    Â£19,800,000    15 July 2014
      Dejan Lovren    Southampton    Â£20,000,000 *    27 July 2014
      Divick Origi    Lille    Â£9,800,000 *    29 July 2014
      Javier Manquillo    Atletico Madrid    On Loan    6 August 2014
      Alberto Moreno    Sevilla    Â£12,000,000 *    16 August 2014
      Mario Balotelli    AC Milan    Â£16,000,000    25 August 2014

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Re: Getting our transfers right.
      Reply #1: Nov 26, 2014 05:07:23 pm
      If nothing else, the media are linking us to better players for January's transfer window (not that that means anything when we will probably end up with the usual crap once again).

Petr Cech, Nathaniel Clyne, Christoph Kramer, Yohan Cabaye, Jackson Martinez, Mauro Icardi and Saido Berahino have all been loosely linked which are the kind of players who should be attainable and will improve us immensely.

As for the way forward, call me old-fashioned, but I like my managers to buy their own players and then they can live or die by the sword. I hate DoF's, committees etc. What's wrong with a manager picking a group of targets and sending his scouts out to scout the players?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #2: Nov 26, 2014 05:10:41 pm
      If nothing else, the media are linking us to better players for January's transfer window (not that that means anything when we will probably end up with the usual crap once again).

Petr Cech, Nathaniel Clyne, Christoph Kramer, Yohan Cabaye, Jackson Martinez, Mauro Icardi and Saido Berahino have all been loosely linked which are the kind of players who should be attainable and will improve us immensely.

We were linked with Reus, Sanchez, Falcao, DiMaria, Lavezzi, Cavani, Benzema and Higuain in the summer.

Not sure how those names are worse than the ones you listed?
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Nov 26, 2014 05:15:47 pm
      We were linked with Reus, Sanchez, Falcao, DiMaria, Lavezzi, Cavani, Benzema and Higuain in the summer.

Not sure how those names are worse than the ones you listed?

True.

I just meant I hope we end up with the players WE ARE linked to this time around although I won't be holding my breath.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #4: Nov 26, 2014 05:30:47 pm
      We were meant to have signed some of Man City's best scouts

Yes.  A club clearly known for operating at the lower-wage, lower transfer fee end of the market.  What could possibly have gone wrong?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #5: Nov 26, 2014 05:58:44 pm
      We have a pretty big squad now and keeper aside we have decent quality.

We identify 1 major target (striker) in January and go all out even if it means paying a starting salary above our self imposed ceiling.

Same again the following transfer window etc

Within a couple of years we have top quality in all positions.

Edit and none of this BS he wants to live in London rubbish!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Nov 26, 2014 05:58:51 pm
      So much money spent and only had one good season under Rodgers so far and that was all down to Suarez.

So many players signed too and only two of them you can seem good signings in Sturridge and Coutinho.

Shocking stuff, especially when you consider the players have either been useless, loans terminated or loaned out after having not played during their first season with us.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #7: Nov 26, 2014 06:59:54 pm
      Yes.  A club clearly known for operating at the lower-wage, lower transfer fee end of the market.  What could possibly have gone wrong?

As I understand it the reason they left was because they were looking deep in the data and making recommendations about who to buy which were all ignored as City just went about purchasing the biggest name stars that were available.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #8: Nov 26, 2014 07:02:52 pm
      We have a pretty big squad now and keeper aside we have decent quality.

We identify 1 major target (striker) in January and go all out even if it means paying a starting salary above our self imposed ceiling.

Same again the following transfer window etc

Within a couple of years we have top quality in all positions.

Edit and none of this BS he wants to live in London rubbish!

But still the problem persists in finding the right striker. Chelsea threw money at Shevchenko and Torres so how do we avoid making that mistake?

Are any of the names we are linked to a better prospect than those two?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #9: Nov 26, 2014 07:11:10 pm
      As I understand it the reason they left was because they were looking deep in the data and making recommendations about who to buy which were all ignored as City just went about purchasing the biggest name stars that were available.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe we shouldn't have hired them.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #10: Nov 28, 2014 09:31:46 am
      Br was quoted in saying he bought Lovern to be a leader, well what did he buy Sakho for then!!! its  like he's got so much money and got excited and didnt know what to do with it.

we paid 18mil for Sakho so FSG should of questioned him when he said ohh i need anothe 20 for yet another CB he paid 8mil for Ilori then loaned him out, next season is he going to buy another CB we have like 5 already!
      next sesaon id like to see Ilori and Sakho and for us to get rid of the old defence in Skrtel and johnson and move forward

Quick Reply