Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

December Fixture List: make or break for Brendan?

Read 9758 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      December Fixture List: make or break for Brendan?
      Dec 06, 2014 09:41:34 pm
      The ever so congested December fixture list has arrived, and we're two games into it. One win, albeit it in the scrappiest manner away to Leicester City, and one draw at home to Sunderland. Neither performances were overly convincing; however, we have seemingly resorted to the basics and it appears that our first aim is to build from the back. That's completely understandable to me, as we were being humiliated by the likes of Newcastle, West Ham, and Crystal Palace.

So on we go, but upwards? Admittedly we are already out of the race for the PL title - that was established early on. However, we are still involved in the League Cup and the Champions League. Two games of huge importance in my opinion. Champions League by means of finance (and the possibility it may be our last CL game for many years) and the League Cup because it's the only silverware we stand a chance of winning (how our fans would love a trip to Wembley).

Does anyone else think that December is also a make or break month for Brendan Rodgers?

Liverpool v FC Basel      
      Man Utd v Liverpool   
      Bournemouth v Liverpool      
      Liverpool v Arsenal   
      Burnley v Liverpool   
      Liverpool v Swansea      

Admittedly every game is huge for a club of this magnitude. We should always go out there with the intention of winning every game possible. In my opinion these next four games are HUGE. The importance of the Basel game speaks for itself, but a win against the mancs would work absolute wonders for the spirit of this team. We all need that lift, and that game could well be the one. I hope Brendan can drastically turn this around in the same manner Pardew did for Newcastle. I'd love it if Brendan could prove his doubters wrong, and give fans like myself the middle finger.

So December - make or break?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: December Fixture List: make or break for Brendan?
      Reply #1: Dec 06, 2014 10:08:14 pm
      Relatively confident we get this type of post every year.

As to the question, So December - make or break?, neither, just the same sticky goo.

We could potentially win all of those games, we could also be beaten in all of them too.

We will win some draw some, and loose some, BR will be here come the end of the season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #2: Dec 06, 2014 10:35:44 pm
      Next 4 games could be make or break.

Champions League decider.
      Potential route to Wembley.
      Two games against teams that 'in theory' we should be competing with for the top four.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #3: Dec 07, 2014 01:32:11 am
      We'll be so screwed when the New Year comes around that I'll probably be watching hockey to take my mind off things. And I don't like hockey.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Dec 07, 2014 02:12:03 am
      Rodgers today.

Referred to the last couple of games as "being tough" ......     teams in the bottom half of the table ?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #5: Dec 07, 2014 04:10:34 am
      Rodgers today.

Referred to the last couple of games as "being tough" ......     teams in the bottom half of the table ?

We've struggled against teams like that under 4 other managers. Even with peoples best teams that include the do no wrong Mascherano and Alonso, players which I have a totally different recollection of than most here btw.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #6: Dec 07, 2014 04:37:24 am
      We've struggled against teams like that under 4 other managers. Even with peoples best teams that include the do no wrong Mascherano and Alonso, players which I have a totally different recollection of than most here btw.
      There is a difference. Except in Kenny's last season we struggled against small teams who parked the bus. It isn't the case this season. I can only think of Villa who parked the bus against us this season. Sunderland came to play yesterday, it was evident from the first 10 minuted when they controlled the game and took around 63% of possession during that period.

May be the players has accepted that it is not going to work, towards end of first half there was a period where  Sterling, Coutinho,Lucas,Hendo,GJ where all standing in a hrizontal line and passing between each other. No one tried to run with the ball or offer any movement to vacant spaces. Its as the players don't have any kind of believe in themselves.

I remember people making fun of United last season when they were expecting an 18 year old kid to work some magic and create something. This season after spending 120m+ we are at the same stage.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #7: Dec 07, 2014 05:03:24 am
      There is a difference. Except in Kenny's last season we struggled against small teams who parked the bus. It isn't the case this season. I can only think of Villa who parked the bus against us this season. Sunderland came to play yesterday, it was evident from the first 10 minuted when they controlled the game and took around 63% of possession during that period.

May be the players has accepted that it is not going to work, towards end of first half there was a period where  Sterling, Coutinho,Lucas,Hendo,GJ where all standing in a hrizontal line and passing between each other. No one tried to run with the ball or offer any movement to vacant spaces. Its as the players don't have any kind of believe in themselves.

I remember people making fun of United last season when they were expecting an 18 year old kid to work some magic and create something. This season after spending 120m+ we are at the same stage.

I'll be honest I can't recall if all them teams (or most) parked the bus under Evans, Houllier and Benitez, from what I remember it was an overall case of them treating it like a cup game and us being shocked by them not rolling over to be punished.

We are actually playing a bit like Man u last season *sign of the cross*
      The insistence of crossing the ball in. I'm not a fan; is a massive understatement.
      Keep the ball on the floor and F***ing work it in, crosses can F**k off.
      Sorry about the harsh language, it's how I was brought up. it's not pointed at you kiddo.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #8: Dec 07, 2014 05:36:09 am
      I hope Brendan can drastically turn this around in the same manner Pardew did for Newcastle. I'd love it if Brendan could prove his doubters wrong, and give fans like myself the middle finger.

So December - make or break?

Let's take a look at how Pardew murdered chelski 3 man, so-called world class defence with 2 attackers. It's attack with speed,  precision and with a purpose, BR does the opposite. Build from the back, I hate to hear this fooking statement, by the time we start building with those ping-pong passes between our defenders and midfield the opposition would have re-grouped.

With Sterling, Cou, Lallana and Lambert, Rafa would know how best to make use of their strengths to murder defences.

Sorry to say this, we simply do not have a world class manager at the moment to deploy tactics that would get the best out of the players.

From the 1st minute to the last it's evident that it'll always be "safety first".   
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #9: Dec 07, 2014 12:53:03 pm
      Next 4 games could be make or break.

Champions League decider.
      Potential route to Wembley.
      Two games against teams that 'in theory' we should be competing with for the top four.

The first two mentioned we can win. If we lose out on both on them, I think it's accepted that we will not compete for any silverware this season. Yes the FA Cup is always there, but can anyone honestly see us pull a few good performances from nowhere?

I think we could potentially lose 3-4 games this month. If so, I really fear for BR.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,220 posts | 2804 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Dec 07, 2014 12:58:30 pm
      Possible poll for this??

If we lose our next 2 games will that be it for the boss? Should he be sacked?

Basle in the champions league, defeat knocks us out (as does a draw) and then utd away
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #11: Dec 07, 2014 01:08:42 pm
      Possible poll for this??

If we lose our next 2 games will that be it for the boss? Should he be sacked?

Basle in the champions league, defeat knocks us out (as does a draw) and then utd away

I think in all honesty, we can expect defeat against Manchester United anyway. For me, the two big fixtures are Basel and Bournemouth. If we can win those two, then we are into the R16 and SF respectively. However, if we lose those two and are also beaten by the scum and arse, then it could well be adios Brendan (and understandably so). I don't know why it's such a crime talking about the possibility of Brendan being sacked. We talk about getting shot off Glen Johnson, Mario Balotelli etc - it's the same principle. Not one player OR manager is bigger than the club. If they are not good enough, then they should not be here.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #12: Dec 07, 2014 01:19:44 pm
      I'll be honest I can't recall if all them teams (or most) parked the bus under Evans, Houllier and Benitez, from what I remember it was an overall case of them treating it like a cup game and us being shocked by them not rolling over to be punished.

We are actually playing a bit like Man u last season *sign of the cross*
      The insistence of crossing the ball in. I'm not a fan; is a massive understatement.
      Keep the ball on the floor and f**king work it in, crosses can f**k off.
      Sorry about the harsh language, it's how I was brought up. it's not pointed at you kiddo.

Put simply, decent crosses create goals. All well and good playing pass, pass, pass all the time, but atm we are creating F**k all and trying to walk the ball in the net when there is half a chance to shoot. For me, it makes more sense to mix up styles, instead of being so one dimensional and easy to read. The great Liverpool teams of the past were able to mix play styles successfully as and when needed. If Brendan wants a modicum of success here, he needs to learn to adapt.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #13: Dec 07, 2014 01:33:17 pm
      We can't score 1 goal against a relegation threatened team, how are we going to score 2 against a much superior team?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Dec 07, 2014 01:41:42 pm
      Honestly at the moment, I couldn't give a sh*t about the champions league (were not going to win it to qualify) or domestic cups, we need to win our league games, if we fail to secure top 4, we'll see the squad trimmed back to a wage structure that reflects that were not involved in the champions league and the rebuilding process begins again.

Get the league wins, secure top 4, go after quality additions during the summer (2nd season back in the champions league should help), lose some of the lesser squad players in the process, start building a squad that is genuinely able to compete in all competitions.

Short term pain for long term gain and all that.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #15: Dec 07, 2014 01:55:13 pm
      Put simply, decent crosses create goals. All well and good playing pass, pass, pass all the time, but atm we are creating f**k all and trying to walk the ball in the net when there is half a chance to shoot. For me, it makes more sense to mix up styles, instead of being so one dimensional and easy to read. The great Liverpool teams of the past were able to mix play styles successfully as and when needed. If Brendan wants a modicum of success here, he needs to learn to adapt.

And that kind of puts us in a greater predicament. The only player who can put in a decent delivery is Steven Gerrard. Do we play him on the right side of a diamond? Even so, who is going to get onto the end of his crosses? Rickie runs wide, Philippe and Raheem like to float outside of the penalty box - I just cannot see a quick solution to our sub par performances. But this is where the manager should be able to see a solution, and quite clearly he cannot.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #16: Dec 07, 2014 03:24:10 pm
      And that kind of puts us in a greater predicament. The only player who can put in a decent delivery is Steven Gerrard. Do we play him on the right side of a diamond? Even so, who is going to get onto the end of his crosses? Rickie runs wide, Philippe and Raheem like to float outside of the penalty box - I just cannot see a quick solution to our sub par performances. But this is where the manager should be able to see a solution, and quite clearly he cannot.

If the manager can't get professional footballers to put in decent crosses, then simply put, his training methods must be w*nk. He needs to learn to play to what he's got, not what he wants. Which sort of puts Brendan in a different light to this time last year. He's bought in the players he wanted, yet they can't seemingly do the things he wants...

Anyhow, just enjoying WH and big Andy demolish Swansea. Kind of ironic really, Brendan never wanted the big centre forward target man, but now he has two. In hindsight, would have kept Andy seeing as he awesome at what he does. Always rated personally, but there you go...

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17: Dec 07, 2014 03:45:07 pm
      If the manager can't get professional footballers to put in decent crosses, then simply put, his training methods must be w*nk. He needs to learn to play to what he's got, not what he wants. Which sort of puts Brendan in a different light to this time last year. He's bought in the players he wanted, yet they can't seemingly do the things he wants...

Anyhow, just enjoying WH and big Andy demolish Swansea. Kind of ironic really, Brendan never wanted the big centre forward target man, but now he has two. In hindsight, would have kept Andy seeing as he awesome at what he does. Always rated personally, but there you go...

When Carroll is fully fit, and his head is right he's a real handful.
      A fella who could be a cracking player, but it seems he likes his ale a bit too much.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #18: Dec 07, 2014 03:50:52 pm
      When Carroll is fully fit, and his head is right he's a real handful.
      A fella who could be a cracking player, but it seems he likes his ale a bit too much.

Ah, but don't we all?

Anyhow, watching big Andy was great stuff. Good old fashioned centre forward battering ram type of play. Not taking anything away from his very high standard of technical ability (which by the way Luis also commented on), but that is the sort of thing we are short on. Bullying the opposite defence.

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #19: Dec 07, 2014 06:17:20 pm
      Not one for ditching managers mid season BUT.....
      Balls up against Basle
      Get embaressed by Bournemouth
      And(god forbid)get spanked by the mancs and I would suggest Brendan will be taking a vacation.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #20: Dec 07, 2014 08:05:02 pm
      To be honest, on our current form, i'm not sure we are capable of wining any of those until we get to the Burnley and Swansea matches.
       And if we do fail to win before the Burnley game, I'm wondering if Brendan will still be in charge for it.
      I have no confidence in the way we are playing, what so ever. Heaven forbid we don't win any of them, but we will need a massive turnaround to do just that.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21: Dec 07, 2014 08:09:02 pm
      Starting to think so.

We are playing some shocking football this season. West Ham to day looked a more exciting team than our lot. Miserable but true.

We need something to change and fast.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #22: Dec 07, 2014 08:25:15 pm

It has to come on the training ground surely? Lambert does like to drift wide but it's up to the likes of Sterling, Lallana and Henderson to fill that space and get into the Foookin box. It's up to Rodgers to get it sorted

Quick Reply