Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

December Fixture List: make or break for Brendan?

Read 9722 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: December Fixture List: make or break for Brendan?
      Reply #23: Dec 07, 2014 08:47:23 pm
      When Carroll is fully fit, and his head is right he's a real handful.
      A fella who could be a cracking player, but it seems he likes his ale a bit too much.

Ah, but don't we all?

Anyhow, watching big Andy was great stuff. Good old fashioned centre forward battering ram type of play. Not taking anything away from his very high standard of technical ability (which by the way Luis also commented on), but that is the sort of thing we are short on. Bullying the opposite defence.

It was the "play along the ground theory" being the reason he went  it has been stated.
      Then we were bullied in the Oldham game and bullied by physical teams since to show us just how its done.
      You dont spend 35 mill on a player unless there was something there.
      Tony Hateley . John Toshack.   
      Old fashioned centre forwards I had the pleasure to watch.

Costa and Drogba. Bullys and winners.

Lets all play ticky tacky FFS.
      Off topic.

Scum away at the Old Toilet.
      Arse Home
      Burnley away.
      Swansea at home

Then half way point of the season. 19 games played.
      Cant play fortune teller thats why I haven't done the prediction league this season or bothered with it after a couple of games into last season.
      Whatever will be ... will be.
      Nothing any of us can actually do to change it.

Supporting the Reds since 1962  and I have never felt so empty. 

I still believe. You cant stop that and I could never do.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Dec 07, 2014 08:57:04 pm
      Won't make a call on BR until the end of the season. Have said for a while that I don't expect our performances to pick up significantly. You just need to look at the forward options.

So ... if we do f**k all in the Jan window, and come out of it with Borini (and Mario may be movable) still in squad / not having signed a new striker, then it's unlikely our fortunes will change that much until Studge comes back (whenever that is). Which leaves BR in a ropey position.
      - if FSG decide to put a brake on signings, don't think BR can use that as an excuse - if he is content with that, then he's a bit of a lame duck.
      - if FSG aren't making a lot of money available, he has the option to move on some of the players signed who haven't contributed - bring in some cash - and spin the wheel again to get guys in positions needed .... just like in summer, strikers/keeper.
      - if they make decent money available, then he'll be under a lot of pressure to spend it well.

We signed feck all last Jan window, but we did OK for 2nd half of season. Don't think we'll be OK this time.

This whole transfer committee thing - if BR is/was not getting the players he wants, I'd have no problem with him coming out and saying it. After all, either way, whether he calls them on it or not, it'll be his neck on the line anyway come summer (or before). Example ... the Remy fiasco - I mean what the f**k - I presume BR wanted him - but some pencil head said no - but at the end of the day, the buck will stop with BR.

He may or may not turn this thing around - but whether he stays or goes might be determined by how hard he tries. If people don't see some logic, some method in what he's attempting to do, he won't bring them with him.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #25: Dec 07, 2014 09:00:35 pm
      Struggling myself in the prediction league, at least you cannot get relegated. A mixture of tough and relatively winnable games in December, to take us to the half way point of the season. Although whatever happens think Brendan is safe until at least May.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #26: Dec 07, 2014 09:04:21 pm
      I think "make or break" is a fair assessment of those fixtures. If we fail to get out of the group in the CL and lose at Old Trafford (and I agree with Redblood here in that I would much prefer to beat the Mancs given the choice) the vultures will be circling. Failure then to get past Bournemouth and a loss or a draw against Arsenal may even see the manager sent on his way.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen, but if they're going to give him the bullet at the end of the season anyway it would make some sense. At least then a new man would have a chance to assess the squad and have a January window to put something in place for next season. That logic may appeal to FSG, although as I said for me we stick with the manager. You could have an identikit of the best managers who've ever lived in charge and if you ain't got no strikers you ain't got no team. Stick with the manager for at least till the end of next season would be my advice.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #27: Dec 07, 2014 09:07:57 pm
      Struggling myself in the prediction league, at least you cannot get relegated. A mixture of tough and relatively winnable games in December, to take us to the half way point of the season. Although whatever happens think Brendan is safe until at least May.

Could be a clause in his contract (e.G. If mathematically impossible to reach top four and out of Europe, will get the sack with minimal pay off). I would expect that to be the case. Same happened with Moyes. Soon as it wasn't possible to finish top four, he got the boot and I believe just a one year pay off.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #28: Dec 07, 2014 09:45:26 pm
      He'll get the January window unless we lose all 4 games
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #29: Dec 07, 2014 10:34:18 pm
      Could be a clause in his contract (e.G. If mathematically impossible to reach top four and out of Europe, will get the sack with minimal pay off). I would expect that to be the case. Same happened with Moyes. Soon as it wasn't possible to finish top four, he got the boot and I believe just a one year pay off.

If they are smart.
      Its all down to the contract.
      He should still get plenty enough to buy a small Caribbean island.
      For failing.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #30: Dec 07, 2014 10:47:44 pm
      If they bring in a new manager before January, the chances are the new man will be expecting a transfer kitty.

Actually scratch that, any new man comming in will be a complete yes man, so probably not then!
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #31: Dec 08, 2014 06:20:00 am
      The vultures are circling and something doesn't sound right.
      If we fall into a heap in December, unfortunately I think he's gone.
      Wow, what a mighty fall it's been since last season, when we scared the living sh*t of the opposition.

If he does get the chop, it'll be a sad day, however I'd have Klopp or Rafa in a heartbeat!
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #32: Dec 08, 2014 07:09:59 am
      If they bring in a new manager before January, the chances are the new man will be expecting a transfer kitty.

Actually scratch that, any new man comming in will be a complete yes man, so probably not then!

Which will limit our options significantly. It'd prevent us from appointing the likes of Klopp or Benitez.. Two men who'd rather build a team their way.

All the top clubs out there allow their manager to take full control of the club.

Real Madrid and Barcelona sign who they want
      Chelsea and City sign who they want
      Bayern Munich sign who they want
      Even Arsenal and United are signing who they want nowadays
      Dortmund even beat us to a £25m signing

The above clubs are all successful. Why can we not just appoint a top manager, and let him actually manage the club his way. Yes, FFP and limited resources does mean we have to be careful somewhat, but the restrictions Brendan works under is ridiculous, being forced to offload the high earners because it's against the wage policy of LFC. Does that mean as soon as we have someone valuable on big wages, he'll be sold? Seems a common trend here over recent years.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #33: Dec 08, 2014 07:36:28 am
      Unless every game is lost in December I think he's safe. What's the alternative? Who is currently out of work that we could bring in to improve the team?

Alternatively, who is currently employed at the level we need, who would come to us mid season?

Sack Brendon and we are looking at the Pulis' Curbishley's and Sherwood's. No thanks.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #34: Dec 08, 2014 09:17:34 am
      If they are smart.
      Its all down to the contract.
      He should still get plenty enough to buy a small Caribbean island.
      For failing.

Yeah.

The stress of being a football manager eh?

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #35: Dec 08, 2014 09:26:56 am
      The money he spent last window should have put us in the mix again. It hasn't. He's bought badly again, just to make his mark. Lovren wasn't needed at all. But £20 million? Markovic has done nothing at all to warrant getting minutes on the pitch. I could go on, but you get the picture.

You could argue that ultimately the players might well cost Brendan his job. But I see it that Brendan ultimately has failed to bring in the right players. For all the need of a DM, we bought Can who so far has played virtually nil. We COULD have got Alex Song. Ready made for the role and no need to"adapt". Or Illori or Coates to fill in while Sahko was out. No. IMO Brendans lack of vision will cost us on missing out in minimum top 4, and that will cost him.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #36: Dec 08, 2014 10:16:11 am
      The money he spent last window should have put us in the mix again. It hasn't. He's bought badly again, just to make his mark. Lovren wasn't needed at all. But £20 million? Markovic has done nothing at all to warrant getting minutes on the pitch. I could go on, but you get the picture.

You could argue that ultimately the players might well cost Brendan his job. But I see it that Brendan ultimately has failed to bring in the right players. For all the need of a DM, we bought Can who so far has played virtually nil. We COULD have got Alex Song. Ready made for the role and no need to"adapt". Or Illori or Coates to fill in while Sahko was out. No. IMO Brendans lack of vision will cost us on missing out in minimum top 4, and that will cost him.

Or simply just stick with Agger. I think it's pretty obvious that we needed a good defensive midfielder above all. Ever since Lucas has returned to the starting XI,  we have looked far more sure of ourselves defensively.

For me, the priority was to bring in two top fullbacks, a defensive midfielder, and a world class striker. Instead we wasted it on Lovren, a youngster who is scared of his own shadow, an overpriced englishman, a controversial and lazy forward and an old man who couldn't even run a bath.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #37: Dec 08, 2014 11:42:44 am

If the only times Agger had played for us this season were in the Champions League we would have already qualified. 

I understand he may not have managed the rigours of week in week out Premier League football but utilised for key games he would have done a fantastic job for us. 

You don't put rose petals on the bed and take your socks off every time you have sex.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #38: Dec 08, 2014 01:14:35 pm
      Liverpool v FC Basel     
      Man Utd v Liverpool   
      Bournemouth v Liverpool     
      Liverpool v Arsenal   
      Burnley v Liverpool   
      Liverpool v Swansea     

We'll beat Basel. That's the game I'm most confident about.

Disappointed to admit I'd take a draw at OT even though they are as sh*t as us. This game is critical. If they get a result against Southampton and then beat us too, we won't catch them. We cannot lose. I think we'll get a draw.

Depends what team he plays against Bournemouth. They are flying in the championship and will be well up for it. If he doesn't play a strong team they will knock us out. It's our most realistic opportunity to win a trophy this season too. I think BR will play a strong side and I think we'll go through. Probably on pens.

We'll beat Arsenal.

Draw at Burnley in a frustrating game.

We'll beat Swansea.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #39: Dec 09, 2014 10:55:02 pm
      Basel - nope
      United?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Dec 10, 2014 12:35:51 am
      We'll beat Basel. That's the game I'm most confident about.

:(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Dec 10, 2014 12:42:57 am
      Now it gets interesting.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: Dec 10, 2014 12:57:48 am

Liverpool v FC Basel DRAW
      Man Utd v Liverpool   
      Bournemouth v Liverpool     
      Liverpool v Arsenal   
      Burnley v Liverpool   
      Liverpool v Swansea
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2014 11:27:37 am by zz19a »
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #43: Dec 10, 2014 04:38:27 am

Liverpool v FC Basel LOST
      Man Utd v Liverpool   
      Bournemouth v Liverpool     
      Liverpool v Arsenal   
      Burnley v Liverpool   
      Liverpool v Swansea

technically it was a draw but I get your point....
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #44: Dec 10, 2014 05:16:15 am
      After last night I think he needs to win against the mancs, that's a big one every year and it hurts every fan losing to them, especially with the results we've been getting, so lose that and I think the fans that are on the fence about him might start to change their mind.... But win, and it will probably be enough to give him a few more games to turn things around.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #45: Dec 10, 2014 05:21:08 am
      We wont beat united especially if rooney plays. Him and van persie are in some good form. And we are sh*te.. hope to F**k im wrong and people can shove this post down my throat

Quick Reply