Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      1 (1.1%)
      Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      2 (2.2%)
      Lovren
      2 (2.2%)
      Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Lucas
      8 (8.7%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      10 (10.9%)
      Gerrard
      55 (59.8%)
      Henderson
      1 (1.1%)
      Lambert
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Markovic
      12 (13%)
      Coutinho
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Liverpool 1:1 FC Basel. In game & post match discussion.

Read 48621 times
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Liverpool 1:1 FC Basel. In game & post match discussion.
      Reply #920: Dec 10, 2014 11:19:23 am
      Someone showed me a clip of Mr Sparkleyteeth being interviewed before the match.
      Can't remember the exact words. But I dont think he even WANTED to win it.
      Everything is about concentrating on 4th, and the payday for also rans.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #921: Dec 10, 2014 11:20:30 am
      Just one more thing:

We are all sat here talking about how poorly the team played etc, but there was one other big issue that we were up against last night, and that is---Basel were outstanding.

Especially in the first half.  They played us off the pitch.  I haven't seen a team performance like that in a while.  Even better to watch than when Madrid played us at Anfield.  Basel were finding little triangles, playing it long, playing it short, it was really top level football.  And what impressed me most was how they defended.  Rodgers always says we "defend as a team," but Basel are the ones who REALLY defended as a team.  They would lose the ball and then everyone would switch gears into "defence mode," even the attackers would run back to help out.  Their back four seemed to have a telepathic understanding of where every cross was going, seemed like there was someone there ready to block it without even breaking a sweat.

I remember a couple of times in the second half in particular when their players just came up to ours when we were in possession and just.... took the ball off of us.  There was one time early in the second half when Lucas passed the ball to Stevie, and when he turned to go forward, Schär was right there waiting for him; he took the ball and then bam, they were on the counter.  I'm not talking about a sliding tackle; no, he just stood up straight and took the ball from Stevie's feet like he was a child.  I haven't seen something so casual in a really long time.

Anyway.  You have to give them a lot of credit for how they played, especially in the first half.  They were a well-oiled machine when in possession, organized and committed in defence without ever parking the bus.  They are a very, very good side.

No they wasnt... they were just better than us, which isnt hard to be at the moment.

we have been second best in MOST matches all season... same again last night
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #922: Dec 10, 2014 11:36:33 am
      But Brendan is a tactical genius a reincarnation of Shankly and FSG those boys are our saviours and have spent a fortune and yet we look like a mid table side at best and last night was just the same old stuff .
      Now then who is to blame we took a centre forward off and brought on a midfielder then start pumping in crosses.
      We have attained mediocrity and FSG and Brendan work hand in hand this is their squad and Brendan is there manager so get used to it.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #923: Dec 10, 2014 11:39:50 am
      No they wasnt... they were just better than us, which isnt hard to be at the moment.

we have been second best in MOST matches all season... same again last night

this
       the only game I remember this season that we were the better side is against spurs with  2 STRKERS UPFRONT
       the big majority of the other games we were 2nd best, even most of   those games we won
        YNWA
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #924: Dec 10, 2014 11:51:18 am
      The way I sees it, BR's team selection is getting more bizarre by the day. Having 2 DM in a game we had to win is as good as telling Basel, come shag me. That's excatly what Basel did to us in the 1st half. BR is a non-aggressive coach, look at the players he got in Allen and Borini,  he doesn't like aggressive football, he still feels that he can reincarnate barca's tiki-taka in his own image, drop the idea BR. He's getting more confused by the day with his tactics and selection of players and  I won;t be surprised if he has already lost the plot.

Again, I would be the least surprise if he plays the same team against manure. Just watch. He's simply a very very stubborn man.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #925: Dec 10, 2014 11:57:25 am
      The way I sees it, BR's team selection is getting more bizarre by the day. Having 2 DM in a game we had to win is as good as telling Basel, come shag me. That's excatly what Basel did to us in the 1st half. BR is a non-aggressive coach, look at the players he got in Allen and Borini,  he doesn't like aggressive football, he still feels that he can reincarnate barca's tiki-taka in his own image, drop the idea BR. He's getting more confused by the day with his tactics and selection of players and  I won;t be surprised if he has already lost the plot.

Again, I would be the least surprise if he plays the same team against manure. Just watch. He's simply a very very stubborn man.

think Mario will be back at Old Trafford they are installing his plinth as we speak
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #926: Dec 10, 2014 12:10:26 pm

no more stubborn than Rafa or Gerard Houllier but I see your point!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #927: Dec 10, 2014 01:30:53 pm
      Hate losing as much as the next guy, but there are ways and ways of losing. This was the Wrong way.
      We were outclassed, ousmarted, outrun, and i should add outnumbered (cue in excuse). Could have been outscored too.

Not good enough, team needs sorting. As the season progresses, i feel more and more like Brendan has lost his plot. Dont know if he had any say on the transfers, or if was a decission made above his pay check, but someone fu**ed up big time.

We need a Field Marshall on the pitch, and a F***ing General on the Sidelines. We need a leader by example.

Cant wait for winter transfer window, we still might turn this around

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #928: Dec 10, 2014 01:35:42 pm
      Hate losing as much as the next guy, but there are ways and ways of losing. This was the Wrong way.
      We were outclassed, ousmarted, outrun, and i should add outnumbered (cue in excuse). Could have been outscored too.

Not good enough, team needs sorting. As the season progresses, i feel more and more like Brendan has lost his plot. Dont know if he had any say on the transfers, or if was a decission made above his pay check, but someone fu**ed up big time.

We need a Field Marshall on the pitch, and a f**king General on the Sidelines. We need a leader by example.

Cant wait for winter transfer window, we still might turn this around

Given the result of his past 4 transfer windows do you think he can find a couple of first team players who will come in and do a job
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #929: Dec 10, 2014 01:43:26 pm
      Given the result of his past 4 transfer windows do you think he can find a couple of first team players who will come in and do a job

If he reads the forums he will :D It's funny how a lot of our posters/fans are better scouts than what we currently have at the club now!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #930: Dec 10, 2014 01:59:13 pm
      Basel simply outplayed us in every third of the pitch. The defended well. They pressed well. They got forward at us and with pace. We couldn't cope with. Too many nervous players out there, especially Enrique. We didn't look anything good until we got desperate -- and even then, we needed a brilliant free kick from Gerrard to even give us a chance. We just look like we're not going to score half the time and I can't remember us really threatening Veclik until the final 15 minutes or so. Markovic looked great when he came on at half, only to foolishly get sent off.

It was just a bit bullshit from us, really. At least the atmosphere sounded decent on TV.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #931: Dec 10, 2014 03:16:55 pm
      If he reads the forums he will :D It's funny how a lot of our posters/fans are better scouts than what we currently have at the club now!

Lmao. Well...thinking of it, they couldnt have done much worse either :(
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #932: Dec 10, 2014 03:19:00 pm

Someone is getting paid to find players for us, and clearly, he is not doing his job right. Or our targets were good, and didnt want to come here, so we went for 2nd, or even 3rd best?

In any case, we need a revulsive, something to shake the locker room to the core. And i dont mean Mario shooting everyone
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #933: Dec 10, 2014 05:26:18 pm
      Played well for the last 15mins, shame about the other 75 before it.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #934: Dec 10, 2014 05:58:50 pm
      Well if you look at yesterday's ''fiasco' we had lovren and lambert playing , and than we had
        markovic--lallana--Moreno-Sakho-Can   ....non starters, 
       so you cannot blame that much on the new signings
       now if we don't have confidence in the new comers , why buy them????

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #935: Dec 10, 2014 06:35:48 pm
      Purposely didn't post last night as the head was all over the place and Ive purposely not read any post in this thread yet until I get my rant in...Where to start?

WHAT A LOAD OF COCK. that's where ill start.

To wait until we did to have a go against Basel is a disgrace. First half please someone tell me what we were at? What was the plan? What was Brendan thinking in his selection? Enrique Mr one foot gives the team nothing, Allen Lucas and Henderson as the middle 3. Cant fault Lucas workrate but hes useless with the ball. Again Hendo works his socks off but his touch last night was poor. What does Allen actually do? Why has Can been dropped? Stevie, feel for him. He cant dictate games as he once did but hes surrounded by weakness who wont take it upon themselves to step into his shoes

Thought Tickie was harsh done by unless injured. Sterling God at 20 hes our go to man, really! Why did he try to play in Stevie instead of shooting himself, he was in on goal!!

Mignolet. For the umpteenth time good shot stopper but Jesus Christ can he not kick out of his hands or kick long? Rolling every ball out to a defence with neither the ability or confidence to take the ball. God almighty

Skrtel looked better up front. Lovern actually looked better then previous but still not up to it. Johnson was 1of our better players and that's saying something. Coutinho looked bright when he came in but why not start? Markovic was very lively what the ref was up to. He was a joke

Overall we were poor in everything we done but for a few minutes from the end. Had we won it would have been a travesty and covered over the cracks

Change needed. Our players are not mentally strong enough and I now doubt the manager is either. Haven't been as down about things since Hodgson. Anger is also an overwhelming feeling. How can Liverpool players be that bad week in week out game in game out. 1 win from 6 games in the champions league and that was thanks to a dodgy peno call in the last minute

Fear for Sunday as I expect the same players in the same formation to play the same crap again

Be interesting to see how many of the above posts have positives in them as really there isn't any
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #936: Dec 10, 2014 06:42:12 pm

Be interesting to see how many of the above posts have positives in them as really there isn't any

If you have time read some(posts) if you don't have time to waste just skip  previous posts, because in the big majority of them are in line of what you posted , mostly negative on the line-up, game plan and performances

YNWA
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #937: Dec 10, 2014 07:13:52 pm
      Purposely didn't post last night as the head was all over the place and Ive purposely not read any post in this thread yet until I get my rant in...Where to start?

WHAT A LOAD OF COCK. that's where ill start.

To wait until we did to have a go against Basel is a disgrace. First half please someone tell me what we were at? What was the plan? What was Brendan thinking in his selection? Enrique Mr one foot gives the team nothing, Allen Lucas and Henderson as the middle 3. Cant fault Lucas workrate but hes useless with the ball. Again Hendo works his socks off but his touch last night was poor. What does Allen actually do? Why has Can been dropped? Stevie, feel for him. He cant dictate games as he once did but hes surrounded by weakness who wont take it upon themselves to step into his shoes

Thought Tickie was harsh done by unless injured. Sterling God at 20 hes our go to man, really! Why did he try to play in Stevie instead of shooting himself, he was in on goal!!

Mignolet. For the umpteenth time good shot stopper but Jesus Christ can he not kick out of his hands or kick long? Rolling every ball out to a defence with neither the ability or confidence to take the ball. God almighty

Skrtel looked better up front. Lovern actually looked better then previous but still not up to it. Johnson was 1of our better players and that's saying something. Coutinho looked bright when he came in but why not start? Markovic was very lively what the ref was up to. He was a joke

Overall we were poor in everything we done but for a few minutes from the end. Had we won it would have been a travesty and covered over the cracks

Change needed. Our players are not mentally strong enough and I now doubt the manager is either. Haven't been as down about things since Hodgson. Anger is also an overwhelming feeling. How can Liverpool players be that bad week in week out game in game out. 1 win from 6 games in the champions league and that was thanks to a dodgy peno call in the last minute

Fear for Sunday as I expect the same players in the same formation to play the same crap again

+1 ... but more anxiously BR still thinks everything is ok, well and dandy. Could be Waterloo for him in theatre of dreams. He's a stubborn man, a very  very stubborn man, continue using players many of the posters here said not good enough and he's still trying to prove a point. When you see strange line-ups, it's a sign of the beginning of the end, as in the managers that left before BR.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,280 posts | 1513 
      Reply #938: Dec 10, 2014 09:45:57 pm
      When you see strange line-ups, it's a sign of the beginning of the end, as in the managers that left before BR.

Well you won't see a stranger one than Skrtel playing up front as a lone striker.
       Thought I must have fallen asleep and was F***ing dreaming !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,280 posts | 1513 
      Reply #939: Dec 10, 2014 09:53:41 pm
      If he reads the forums he will  It's funny how a lot of our posters/fans are better scouts than what we currently have at the club now!

Thats not surprising, considering some of the crap we've bought aver the last few seasons.   :f_whistle:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #940: Dec 10, 2014 10:11:22 pm
      I still feel sick about it.

Was a blubbering mess yesterday when the final whistle went.

Look what you have done to me Brendan and the lads. A 43 year old bloke crying his eyes out because you played like sh*t not only last night but in all the CL matches you played in.

You broke my heart again!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #941: Dec 10, 2014 10:15:38 pm
      I still feel sick about it.

Was a blubbering mess yesterday when the final whistle went.

Look what you have done to me Brendan and the lads. A 43 year old bloke crying his eyes out because you played like sh*t not only last night but in all the CL matches you played in.

You broke my heart again!

Get the istanbul DVD out mate and see what a team with Balls can do with a manager who is worthy of his place in our incredible History
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #942: Dec 10, 2014 10:17:38 pm
      Get the istanbul DVD out mate and see what a team with Balls can do with a manager who is worthy of his place in our incredible History

Might have too mate, but might start crying again at the thought of will we ever be that good again!

Quick Reply