Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Europa League

Read 14531 times
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Re: The Europa League
      Reply #115: Dec 15, 2014 01:05:53 pm
      William Hill have us as joint favourites to lift the trophy along with Roma (10/1).

how the f**k are we favourites?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Europa League
      Reply #116: Dec 15, 2014 01:06:48 pm

Liverpool beat the Black Eagles 8-0 last time they met at Anfield in the 2007-08 Champions League group stage.

The team that day.

Liverpool: Reina, Aurelio (Babel 63), Hyypia, Carragher, Arbeloa, Riise, Mascherano, Gerrard (Lucas 72), Benayoun, Voronin (Kewell 72), Crouch.
      Subs Not Used: Martin, Finnan, Torres, Kuyt.

And the highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZEqrcUVls
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #117: Dec 15, 2014 01:07:16 pm
      Besiktas won't be easy I saw both their games v Arse and they play good football just let down by poor finishing in both games
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #118: Dec 15, 2014 01:14:59 pm
      I dont consider it a proper competition for a club like Lpool.
      Bearing in mind our top FOUR teams get in the CL.

I mean Europa should be for teams in emerging leagues etc. Or it had credibility say when the CLge was much more exclusive, and smaller teams were developing.

Its a bit like winning the FA Vase or some such sh*te.
      If Rodgers thinks he can con us with the "we're still in Europe" crap, maybe he needs to bugger off to Norway.
      Like Bodgson seemed to love so much.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #119: Dec 15, 2014 01:17:44 pm
      I do consider it a proper competition - just as the UEFA cup was.  What undermines it is the 8 Champions League sides, including us, being parachuted into it.

Not really acceptable that.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #120: Dec 15, 2014 01:23:18 pm
      Besiktas won't be easy I saw both their games v Arse and they play good football just let down by poor finishing in both games

The way were playing playing The Arkles pub team wont be easy!
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #121: Dec 15, 2014 02:51:11 pm
      Porto it is then !!! Fantastic chance of making the quarter finals of the CL.

oh wait
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #122: Dec 15, 2014 03:19:15 pm
      Devalued competition or not, we are in it - and this season onwards winners get into the Champions League

Need to throw everything at winning this - because, lets face it, unlikely to be top 4 this year
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #123: Dec 15, 2014 04:04:59 pm
      Besiktas should be a great tie. In our current form, I think we lose. But this won't be until what, February? A LOT can and probably will change by then. I'm looking forward to this.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always had a strange liking for the Europa League. Not really sure why haha
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,531 posts | 6887 
      Reply #124: Dec 15, 2014 04:27:12 pm
      Need to throw everything at winning this - because, lets face it, unlikely to be top 4 this year

8 draws and maybe some shootouts away from the final!
      VYCMas
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | 14 
      Reply #125: Dec 15, 2014 05:30:38 pm
      Hi there,
      I am a Besiktas fan from istanbul, turkey. You can ask anything about Besiktas to me. I will probably answer. First, i want you to know more about Besiktas.

Besiktas is from Istanbul.Its our 112nd year (1903). Galatasaray and Fenerbahce are more popular than us.But the biggest football club is probably Besiktas. Let me tell you why. Besiktas is known with its fan group Carsi (Decibel record). Carsi isnt an only fan group, its a spirit. If you know "Gezi" (june 2013) you should know and hear about Carsi too. It stand out against government. They defended our people against cops and government. Even gala and fener fans love Carsi.
      And Besiktas is known with the honor. Because Besiktas is the only big club in Turkey that never fixed any match. But fener sued for match fixing. And gala stole our turkish league cup for three times. If you know the official numbers of cups of istanbul teams (Besiktas 13, Gala 19, Fener 19) add Besiktas 4 and subtract 2 of fener and 3 of gala.
      Besiktas is now the club with the brightest future in turkish league. Besiktas owns the best and youngest squad. Gala sucks you know from the CL. Besiktas played two with arsenal and conceded only one goal. But gala played two like us but conceded 8 goals. And gala is only 1 point far from us with the help of turkish football federation and referees.
      Besiktas is building a new stadium, VODAFONE ARENA. http://www.vodafonearena.com.tr/ Here is the link of vodafone arenas official web page. You can watch Live the building with clicking "Canli Yayin" and look athe the photos at "Galeri".  Vodafone Arena is near the Istanbul Bosphorus like 20 meters. You can watch the bosphorus if you get bored at match. It will be probably one of the best stadiums at world.
      Our legend is Suleyman Seba who passed away this year. He owns a well-knowned comment about Gala's match fixing:
      "-Being second at league with honor is more important than winning the title with match fixing"

And i want to talk about our football team.If you want to know how we will play against Liver, watch the matchs against Spurs at White Hart Lane and two Arsenal matches. We won the game agains Spurs at Istanbul but we had so many missing players like Atiba, Demba Ba, Veli Kavlak, Tomas Sivok, Mustafa Pektemek. But especially watch the match we played at White Hart Lane because we were full squad. We would defeat Arsenal if we had Jose Sosa at match but we bought him later at transfer season.

Our biggest plus is our squads energy and Slaven Bilic. Our play style is like Dortmund and Atletico's play style's combine. We press at forward. It known as gegenpressing. And we attack very very fast.If you lose the ball you can concede a very fast contra goal against us.Our biggest handicap is right back. We have Serdar Kurtulus there and he is very slow and close minded.He is like Glen Johnson. But Besiktas bought a new right back for winter but we dont know the name. Club will unfold the player at january. And we need a new centre midfielder because there arent any other options except our players at first 11 like our right back. But there are some rumours that
      Besiktas agreed Gokhan Inler with Napoli. If it is true Besiktas will be ready for Liverpool, Europa League title and Turkish League title.

If you want me to comment for Liverpool and match at 19 and 26 feb, i will.

First you can trust me for being objective. I am not only a Besiktas fan, i am also a real football fan. I watch all the matchs at PL, and know lot of things about every team. Its interesting that i dont have a favourite team at PL (after Arsenals 8-2 Manu loss:( ) but i can say i hate Machester Clubs especially Man City for being a Arab money team. Expect these two i like all the other PL teams.

Everyone agree that Liverpool is awful this season until today. I can presume that it will continue like that until january. I dont think major changes will happen at january but Liverpool can improve their football style with new key players. First Liver needs a real defender like Agger who left last season. Caus Livers defending is very bad and Besiktas can punish their faults very easily with Demba Ba and other forward players. If Besiktas and Liverpool would match tomorrow, i will bet for Besiktas with a huge money. Besiktas woud be favourite and knock out Liver. But the only thing that threatens me is sturridge. I dont really care about Liverpools new transfers because we will improve our team too. But sturridge makes Liverpool play better. It will be the main threat for besiktas with Raheem Sterling.

I want to sum up.
      Besiktas is a team with a system and a awesome tactic. Liverpool's chance will be poor with this defending against Besiktas. Besiktas is a team that plays better against the teams that plays open play. But Besiktas struggles to win against the teams which park the bus. So dont underestimate Besiktas, if you play open against us without a good plan we can easily punish and knock out you. Dont only trust your name.Liver is one of the biggest clubs but you should trust at your game play too. Prepare good to us, we will come there only for a huge victory.

Sorry for english and faults:)

Regards,

A Besiktas fan.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #126: Dec 15, 2014 05:46:05 pm
      Besiktas board member Ahmet Nur Cebi said: "Liverpool should be more concerned about us than we are about them. We will knock Liverpool out of the competition. There is an account which wasn't settled in England from previous years. Yes, I mean that 8-0 defeat. We'll settle the account now."

Wish some of our lot had this kind of attitude.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #127: Dec 15, 2014 06:19:31 pm
      Porto it is then !!! Fantastic chance of making the quarter finals of the CL.

oh wait

exactly what a missed opportunity
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Re: The Europa League
      Reply #128: Dec 15, 2014 06:37:16 pm
      Quote from bigmick
      Aren't even going to bother watching it. We will draw Napoli, tis a certainty.

Is this the same "certainty" that drawing Barcelona was in August?

Quote from chats
      Besiktas board member said: "Liverpool should be more concerned about us than we are about them. We will knock Liverpool out of the competition. There is an account which wasn't settled in England from previous years. Yes, I mean that 8-0 defeat."

That account was settled by us after the away leg result.

So it's back to the Ataturk. If there's one far flung, long haul away ground we love, it's the Ataturk.

Will be a very difficult tie though. Arsenal and Spurs didn't win there this season. So we'll probably need to beat Bilic and co at home again to absorb the away result out there.
      tgkntnr
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #129: Dec 15, 2014 07:27:37 pm
      Oh, I think they will play for revenge.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #130: Dec 15, 2014 07:41:48 pm
      A sign of how sick I am of being kicked in the gut by this team this season that I forgot all about the draw and now that Im reminded of it Im not that arsed
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #131: Dec 15, 2014 07:51:33 pm
      Quote from AmericanPlant
      I dont consider it a proper competition for a club like Lpool.
      Bearing in mind our top FOUR teams get in the CL.

I mean Europa should be for teams in emerging leagues etc. Or it had credibility say when the CLge was much more exclusive, and smaller teams were developing.

Its a bit like winning the FA Vase or some such sh*te.
      If Rodgers thinks "we're still in Europe", maybe he needs to bugger off to Norway.

He's going to Istanbul instead. We like going there you know. And we are still in Europe, doesn't matter what anyone says.

With respect, you don't really see Inter Milan, Napoli, Celtic, PSV, and us fighting it out for the FA Vase. We've lifted that trophy three times. No matter what the name of it, it'll never change. 

Quote from JD
      I do consider it a proper competition - just as the UEFA cup was.  What undermines it is the 8 Champions League sides, including us, being parachuted into it.

I'm sorry, that particular argument loses weight when not winning your own league still allows you to play the  "Champions" competition.

Both competitions have been devalued over the years. But Europe is still Europe, and we desperately need the ranking points. We didn't get very many so far this season, and if we want better European draws in the future, we better start getting more of them asap.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #132: Dec 15, 2014 07:55:58 pm
      Hi there,
      I am a Besiktas fan from istanbul, turkey. You can ask anything about Besiktas to me. I will probably answer. First, i want you to know more about Besiktas.

Besiktas is from Istanbul.Its our 112nd year (1903). Galatasaray and Fenerbahce are more popular than us.But the biggest football club is probably Besiktas. Let me tell you why. Besiktas is known with its fan group Carsi (Decibel record). Carsi isnt an only fan group, its a spirit. If you know "Gezi" (june 2013) you should know and hear about Carsi too. It stand out against government. They defended our people against cops and government. Even gala and fener fans love Carsi.
      And Besiktas is known with the honor. Because Besiktas is the only big club in Turkey that never fixed any match. But fener sued for match fixing. And gala stole our turkish league cup for three times. If you know the official numbers of cups of istanbul teams (Besiktas 13, Gala 19, Fener 19) add Besiktas 4 and subtract 2 of fener and 3 of gala.
      Besiktas is now the club with the brightest future in turkish league. Besiktas owns the best and youngest squad. Gala sucks you know from the CL. Besiktas played two with arsenal and conceded only one goal. But gala played two like us but conceded 8 goals. And gala is only 1 point far from us with the help of turkish football federation and referees.
      Besiktas is building a new stadium, VODAFONE ARENA. http://www.vodafonearena.com.tr/ Here is the link of vodafone arenas official web page. You can watch Live the building with clicking "Canli Yayin" and look athe the photos at "Galeri".  Vodafone Arena is near the Istanbul Bosphorus like 20 meters. You can watch the bosphorus if you get bored at match. It will be probably one of the best stadiums at world.
      Our legend is Suleyman Seba who passed away this year. He owns a well-knowned comment about Gala's match fixing:
      "-Being second at league with honor is more important than winning the title with match fixing"

And i want to talk about our football team.If you want to know how we will play against Liver, watch the matchs against Spurs at White Hart Lane and two Arsenal matches. We won the game agains Spurs at Istanbul but we had so many missing players like Atiba, Demba Ba, Veli Kavlak, Tomas Sivok, Mustafa Pektemek. But especially watch the match we played at White Hart Lane because we were full squad. We would defeat Arsenal if we had Jose Sosa at match but we bought him later at transfer season.

Our biggest plus is our squads energy and Slaven Bilic. Our play style is like Dortmund and Atletico's play style's combine. We press at forward. It known as gegenpressing. And we attack very very fast.If you lose the ball you can concede a very fast contra goal against us.Our biggest handicap is right back. We have Serdar Kurtulus there and he is very slow and close minded.He is like Glen Johnson. But Besiktas bought a new right back for winter but we dont know the name. Club will unfold the player at january. And we need a new centre midfielder because there arent any other options except our players at first 11 like our right back. But there are some rumours that
      Besiktas agreed Gokhan Inler with Napoli. If it is true Besiktas will be ready for Liverpool, Europa League title and Turkish League title.

If you want me to comment for Liverpool and match at 19 and 26 feb, i will.

First you can trust me for being objective. I am not only a Besiktas fan, i am also a real football fan. I watch all the matchs at PL, and know lot of things about every team. Its interesting that i dont have a favourite team at PL (after Arsenals 8-2 Manu loss:( ) but i can say i hate Machester Clubs especially Man City for being a Arab money team. Expect these two i like all the other PL teams.

Everyone agree that Liverpool is awful this season until today. I can presume that it will continue like that until january. I dont think major changes will happen at january but Liverpool can improve their football style with new key players. First Liver needs a real defender like Agger who left last season. Caus Livers defending is very bad and Besiktas can punish their faults very easily with Demba Ba and other forward players. If Besiktas and Liverpool would match tomorrow, i will bet for Besiktas with a huge money. Besiktas woud be favourite and knock out Liver. But the only thing that threatens me is sturridge. I dont really care about Liverpools new transfers because we will improve our team too. But sturridge makes Liverpool play better. It will be the main threat for besiktas with Raheem Sterling.

I want to sum up.
      Besiktas is a team with a system and a awesome tactic. Liverpool's chance will be poor with this defending against Besiktas. Besiktas is a team that plays better against the teams that plays open play. But Besiktas struggles to win against the teams which park the bus. So dont underestimate Besiktas, if you play open against us without a good plan we can easily punish and knock out you. Dont only trust your name.Liver is one of the biggest clubs but you should trust at your game play too. Prepare good to us, we will come there only for a huge victory.

Sorry for english and faults:)

Regards,

A Besiktas fan.

Welcome to the forum.

What do you think of Demba Ba has he been playing well?

I noticed in your two games v Arsenal you played well but the finishing by your strikers let you down.

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #133: Dec 15, 2014 08:05:24 pm

You're right there J.D. NEVER been the same since it was the European cup, if it's the Champions League it should be for the Champions not 2nd,3rd and 4th place and winners of the Europa League like this season!

The whole tournament is run for the organisers to make more money and line the pockets of the cprrupt officials !

I missed the Draw but with Studge back and and a lot of hope we'll do ok, I can feel it in my 53 yr old bones !
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #134: Dec 15, 2014 08:13:40 pm
      Gimme another 8-0 please.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #135: Dec 15, 2014 08:21:58 pm
      I agree that going back to the European Cup would be best.  But lately I've been wondering if it might be even more interesting and "fair" to hold the CL at the END of every season.  Sort of like the World Cup.  Then afterwards you would still have the summer off, just start the new season later, in September or something.

The reason I say this is because the teams that qualify should compete using the team that... they qualified with.  We are a perfect example.  I would have loved to have seen us play in the CL with Suarez and a fit Sturridge.  But we never got to see that.  Instead we saw a completely overhauled Liverpool side full of players that had nothing to do with our success last season.

I think it would be great to hold it at the end of the season, before the transfer window opens to ensure the same players are in the same squads etc.  You would also get rid of the mid-week games, making the domestic leagues fairer on all teams.  And each summer it would be like a mini World Cup and summers would no longer be boring because of no footie. 

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      VYCMas
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | 14 
      Reply #136: Dec 15, 2014 08:32:43 pm
      Welcome to the forum.

What do you think of Demba Ba has he been playing well?

I noticed in your two games v Arsenal you played well but the finishing by your strikers let you down.

Thank you for your kindness:)

Well, Demba Ba was decent at Arsenal matches. I think he was tired and powerless. But after nearly 3 months, he became a beast. He scored at 5 consecutive matches. And scored 16 goals and 2 assists at 18 matches. Last sunday (7 december) we played a very critical match with Trabzonspor who will play against Napoli and beat them 3-0. Demba scored a goal but then he got injured. Club doctors said we are planning to make him ready in 2 or 3 weeks. We are waiting him to return next week. We hope that he will continue his form. We have 2 months until the match so i think he will be in-form at match. He is absolutely the most important player in the team. His main task is not to score goals. His main task is to take the defenders away with his fake runs and make other Besiktas players comfortable with a big zone. ( I hope its clear my english is not at your level)
       So Demba Ba is important for the team because our other strikers cant do it. Demba makes our team comfortable at forward.
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014 08:43:19 pm by VYCMas »
      ba
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #137: Dec 16, 2014 10:26:58 am
      Hello guys;
      This a besiktas fan from Istanbul. We are completely excited about the draw, can't wait to see the clash. We have a huge respect for your side. Liverpool will be the fourth PL team that we will play this season so far( Chelsea friendly-Arsenal CL play off-Spurs EL), and all the Besiktas fans want Liverpool before the draw because of the 8-0 game in 2007.
      I want to ask some questions; i want to see the first leg in England, and i am not completely sure about the away fans' tickets' availabilty at the sale day.
      I have purchased the flight, and i dont want to risk to see the game. Which part of the stadium is the calmest place for us to watch the game in peaceful manner(maybe not with Besiktas jersey-daily outfit)? Are there any risks for us? Is there a check at the gates of the stadium if we are pool fans or not, in CL-EL games(fan card-season ticket for every single fans etc.)? If i am not able to purchase the away tickets, flight tickets and all the visa expenses will be lost for nothing, and it is quite much money actually.
      Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply