Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Europa League

Read 14581 times
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Re: Europa League
      Reply #23: Dec 10, 2014 05:49:07 pm
      Rules have been changed to allow 5 teams from a nation if needed. So if we where to win the EL then 4th place would also get into the Champions League. However if both the EL + CL winners finished outside the top 4 then the 4th place team is relegated to the Europa League, but that seems very unlikely with Chelsea probably the only realistic candidates to win the Champions League.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24: Dec 10, 2014 05:52:25 pm
      'C     Off .

Europa   WOW !

Thursday special nights in            Azerbaijan or Riga.

Book yer tickets .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25: Dec 10, 2014 06:00:29 pm
      I think whether or not we can be serious contenders depends on who's in it as well as obviously on us playing far better than we are at the moment. Not for the first time I am seeing some positives amongst the sea of negativity though, and whether it's Sturridge or a new recruit in January it cannot be overestimated what a massive difference a striker with mobility would make.

Indeed, someone like Borini with great movement, I agree he'd make a great difference to how we're playing at the moment. So like me, I'm sure you're perplexed why he can't even make the bench?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,203 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #26: Dec 10, 2014 06:01:17 pm
      No doubt we will walk this trophy....
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #27: Dec 10, 2014 06:02:37 pm
      When the injuries start racking up over these EL games you'll be moaning too. We're supposed to be a top 4 side again that's where the clubs priorities should lie not the CL waste disposal competition.

All the competitions have been made a joke of thanks to rebranding them for the sake of cash. How did squads of 14 ever cope with a full season of league, domestic cups and European competition in crap weather and on bad pitches?

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #28: Dec 10, 2014 06:03:31 pm
      Rules have been changed to allow 5 teams from a nation if needed. So if we where to win the EL then 4th place would also get into the Champions League. However if both the EL + CL winners finished outside the top 4 then the 4th place team is relegated to the Europa League, but that seems very unlikely with Chelsea probably the only realistic candidates to win the Champions League.

I'd be so happy if Manure finished 4th, Arsenal finished 5th and won the CL, and we win the EL which would knock those scummy fuckers out of the competition for a 2nd straight year!!! Anything to ruin their day makes my day that much better!!  >:D
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,203 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #29: Dec 10, 2014 06:05:43 pm
      I'd be so happy if Manure finished 4th, Arsenal finished 5th and won the CL, and we win the EL which would knock those scummy fuckers out of the competition for a 2nd straight year!!! Anything to ruin their day makes my day that much better!!  >:D

Sounds deluded to me Liverpool winning the EL....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #30: Dec 10, 2014 06:15:19 pm
      sadly this could be our best chance to make it back to the CL next season....

Do we get to knock the 4th placed Premier League side out if we were to win it?

Rules have been changed to allow 5 teams from a nation if needed. So

Oh :(

I'd love us to win it although I think the deflation of being knocked out the CL will make it really tough - not to mention it will now be treated like the League Cup.  You only have to look at the team we played in the Bernabeu when we were actually still in the Champions League!
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #31: Dec 10, 2014 06:19:28 pm
      Do we get to knock the 4th placed Premier League side out if we were to win it?

I'd love us to win it although I think the deflation of being knocked out the CL will make it really tough - not to mention it will now be treated like the League Cup.  You only have to look at the team we played in the Bernabeu when we were actually still in the Champions League!

I don't believe Rodgers is tactically good enough to win a European competition anyway. His record in the Europa League 2 years ago and in this season's Champions League are obviously poor. Any experienced side, like Fiorentina, will knock us out comfortably the way we give goals away.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #32: Dec 10, 2014 06:54:27 pm
      Anyone who thinks the way were playing would beat some of the side in the Europa league need to wake up.

Poxy Thursday football and Sunday league games
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #33: Dec 10, 2014 07:15:24 pm

That lifted my day.

Back under the duvet again.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #34: Dec 10, 2014 08:01:21 pm
      Anyone who thinks the way were playing would beat some of the side in the Europa league need to wake up.

Absolutely, but I remain optimistic that Studge, Sakho, and Flano will all work their way into the starting lineup in the coming weeks and we will look much better just from getting those 3 back!!

Now if we could just get BR to bench Hendo and Allen and start playing Can, Lallana, and Coutinho more often I think we'd be alright
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #35: Dec 11, 2014 11:02:38 am
      I was actually agreeing with you.

If I wasn't you'd know about it, as I would have been quit damming in my reply, and far less witty.

hahaha Ill believe it when i see it RedPuppy.;)
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,481 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #36: Dec 11, 2014 11:17:49 am
      Indeed, someone like Borini with great movement, I agree he'd make a great difference to how we're playing at the moment. So like me, I'm sure you're perplexed why he can't even make the bench?

Maybe Borini is speaking his mind to Brendan a la Danny Agger last season, therefore Rodgers just won't play him.

I'm as perplexed as anyone on this, reckon he can be wasteful on the ball but would allow a lot quicker movement up front than others while Sturridge is out.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #37: Dec 11, 2014 01:22:31 pm
      Personally, I would love nothing more than for the mancs to finish 4th only for us to backdoor them and sneak into the CL by winning the EL!!

I'd jizz in me pants if that happened.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,263 posts | 6365 
      Reply #38: Dec 11, 2014 02:29:19 pm

Exactly.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #39: Dec 11, 2014 03:02:18 pm
      With this current lot and manager, we'd be lucky to make the quarters here.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #40: Dec 11, 2014 03:13:09 pm
      I know many people have mixed feelings about this competition, so I figured I'd start a thread about it.

I find myself feeling a little relieved that we are out of the CL and into the EL for two reasons:

1. We had no real chance to win the CL this year, but we do have a good opportunity to win the EL and I'd love to see us lift another trophy.

2. The winners of the EL this term get automatic qualification to the main event next season, and sadly this could be our best chance to make it back to the CL next season....

The EL will also provide us with more opportunities to get our younger players some game time, and if we progress deep into the knockout rounds then we will continue to get to watch midweek footie on a consistent basis.

I'm already looking forward to a good run in this one!! Can't wait to see who we draw!!

YNWA

if we win this competition im gonna hang myself for my balls :laugh: we couldnt beat stoke two weeks ago and u honestly think we could beat fiorentina,sevilla,inter,napoli etc cause those are the teams that are gonna go through
      i dont think so :angry-smiley-034:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #41: Dec 11, 2014 07:34:45 pm
      Quote from eurored
      Europa   WOW !

Thursday special nights in Azerbaijan or Riga.

Book yer tickets .

We just had Wednesday night specials in Sofia and Switzerland, yet you don't want us to go to Riga?

We've won this competition three times, I want to win it again. Doing so will probably have to mean trips to the likes of Milan, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Glasgow or across the road. Heck, I'd love another go at St. Petersburg while we're at it. You can guarantee that fans will be chasing tickets like hotcakes, if the semi final is a derby.

Atm, we need as much European football as we can get, and after Tuesday I'm just relieved we're still in Europe. Give me playing Ajax over Aston Villa anyday of the week.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #42: Dec 11, 2014 09:31:31 pm
      Absolutely, but I remain optimistic that Studge, Sakho, and Flano will all work their way into the starting lineup in the coming weeks and we will look much better just from getting those 3 back!!

Now if we could just get BR to bench Hendo and Allen and start playing Can, Lallana, and Coutinho more often I think we'd be alright

Can't wait for John Flanagan to come back. He was fantastic last season. A player that would run through brick walls for Liverpool.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #43: Dec 11, 2014 09:35:20 pm
      We just had Wednesday night specials in Sofia and Switzerland, yet you don't want us to go to Riga?

We've won this competition three times, I want to win it again. Doing so will probably have to mean trips to the likes of Milan, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Glasgow or across the road. Heck, I'd love another go at St. Petersburg while we're at it. You can guarantee that fans will be chasing tickets like hotcakes, if the semi final is a derby.

Atm, we need as much European football as we can get, and after Tuesday I'm just relieved we're still in Europe. Give me playing Ajax over Aston Villa anyday of the week.

Yup. Totally agree. Football has become too snobby. Disappeared up it's own arse if you ask me. It's still a piece of European silverware, and one that has added benefits too now that it has CL entry.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #44: Dec 11, 2014 09:37:19 pm
      if we win this competition im gonna hang myself for my balls :laugh: we couldnt beat stoke two weeks ago and u honestly think we could beat fiorentina,sevilla,inter,napoli etc cause those are the teams that are gonna go through
      i dont think so :angry-smiley-034:

Never say never.

As bad as things have been recently, things will get better. So why not in this competition?

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #45: Dec 11, 2014 10:17:11 pm
      Possible opponents next round:

Villarreal, Torino, Celtic, PSV Eindhoven, Dnipro, Sevilla, Wolfsburg, Bern, Aalborg,  Guingamp, Trabzonspor.

Take your pick.

Quick Reply