Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Man Utd vs Liverpool -14 December.

Read 20585 times
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Re: Man Utd vs Liverpool -14 December.
      Reply #46: Dec 11, 2014 03:19:14 pm
      i dont see how could two central midfielders play together well
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #47: Dec 11, 2014 03:47:20 pm
      Lucas and Gerrard never seem to play well together

Exactly.
      Not as a pairing.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #48: Dec 11, 2014 03:54:17 pm
      Stick Sterling in the #10 role please, they have Carrick and Fellaini in the middle.... Sterling would exploit their lack of pace and with Moreno playing in midfield on the left, I think our pace in the middle would cause them havoc!

Movement up front with Borini and Lallana would open space for Sterling and Moreno to attack and with  Lucas and Can as the more defensive, I think this is a really balanced starting 11 that can win at OT!

Migs
      Manquillo, Toure, Sakho, Enrique
                          Lucas
                    Can      Moreno
                         Sterling
                    Borini     Lallana
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Dec 11, 2014 03:56:30 pm
      Stick Sterling in the #10 role please, they have Carrick and Fellaini in the middle.... Sterling would exploit their lack of pace and with Moreno playing in midfield on the left, I think our pace in the middle would cause them havoc!

Movement up front with Borini and Lallana would open space for Sterling and Moreno to attack and with  Lucas and Can as the more defensive, I think this is a really balanced starting 11 that can win at OT!

Migs
      Manquillo, Toure, Sakho, Enrique
                          Lucas
                    Can      Moreno
                         Sterling
                    Borini     Lallana

Moreno's inclusion might make more sense if we were going for 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.

Another reason I don't want a Lucas/Gerrard pairing is the pace of di Maria.
      Think he'd turn us over without Hendo/Can in the mix.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #50: Dec 11, 2014 04:01:43 pm
      Moreno's inclusion might make more sense if we were going for 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.

Another reason I don't want a Lucas/Gerrard pairing is the pace of di Maria.
      Think he'd turn us over without Hendo/Can in the mix.

I totally forgot about Di Maria. Maybe switching Can for Lucas and Putting Henderson in that midfield might be a better option.

With a Midfield of Can, Hendo, Moreno & Sterling, that is actually quite a pacey  midfield, not too shabby in work rate as well!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #51: Dec 11, 2014 04:04:43 pm
      I totally forgot about Di Maria. Maybe switching Can for Lucas and Putting Henderson in that midfield might be a better option.

With a Midfield or Can, Hendo, Moreno & Sterling, that is actually quite a pacey  midfield, not too shabby in work rate as well!
      I don't think D'Maria is fit.

I worry about what fellaini has in store for Raheem, the man is a thug plain and simple, and he'll no doubt target sterling for some special attention.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #52: Dec 11, 2014 04:06:50 pm
      i think di maria is injured and he wont play
      SteveGerrardGerrard
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      my fears for man united game
      Reply #53: Dec 11, 2014 04:25:41 pm
      Forever the pessimistic type and because of this i just can't c us getting a result on Sunday. Surely stevieg can't win the game by himself, can he??
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #54: Dec 11, 2014 04:27:22 pm
      I don't think D'Maria is fit.

I worry about what fellaini has in store for Raheem, the man is a thug plain and simple, and he'll no doubt target sterling for some special attention.

That slow lumbering clown will be eating Raheems dust the whole game.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #55: Dec 11, 2014 04:50:28 pm
      Mignolet; Toure, Skrtel, Lovren; Johnson, Gerrard, Can, Moreno; Coutinho; Markovic, Sterling.

Might as well try something new.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #56: Dec 11, 2014 04:54:18 pm
      sterlings speed is our biggest chance
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #57: Dec 11, 2014 05:00:34 pm
      Last season we won 3-0.
      Suarez, Sturridge, Agger & Flannagan in the team.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #58: Dec 11, 2014 05:12:29 pm
      We can beat these clowns with pace on the counter. Sterling and Markovic should both start in a front three. Maybe Coutinho behind them,

Good Plan Sir .

I like that .

Play on the counter.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #59: Dec 11, 2014 05:40:27 pm
      i think in BRs shoes he will be thinking anything but a loss in this game, which means packing the midfield with defensive minded players like the lineup against Basel. i hope i am wrong.

lets kick start the season by beating these mofo's

I don't think that would necessarily be a bad tactic all things considered. Get a draw here, reintroduce Lambert for Arsenal and ruffle their feathers and we might just grab four points from two of our hardest games so far this season. We then have relatively easy games against Burnley and Leicester who are propping up the table, either side of a Swansea side who had as bad a November as we did. After that Sturridge is back and it should hopefully be a whole different ball game. 11 to 13 points out of 15 will keep us in contention with the top four going in to the New Year.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #60: Dec 11, 2014 05:44:17 pm
      I don't think that would necessarily be a bad tactic all things considered. Get a draw here, reintroduce Lambert for Arsenal and ruffle their feathers and we might just grab four points from two of our hardest games so far this season. We then have relatively easy games against Burnley and Leicester who are propping up the table, either side of a Swansea side who had as bad a November as we did. After that Sturridge is back and it should hopefully be a whole different ball game.
      Stuff the midfield and hope for a draw? That might work against The likes of hull and Sunderland but inviting pressure and no outlet is asking for trouble with our fragile defence.

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #61: Dec 11, 2014 05:49:35 pm
      a win against manc would be a great booster,i would like nothing more than that and i think we are able to do that
      after that victory i am convinced that whole team would play betther and it would be easyer for sturidge to get back into form with a team full of confidence than into team in this condition
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #62: Dec 11, 2014 05:50:49 pm
      This game will be won and lost in midfield. Their defending is about as bad as -- imagine that! -- but their attack is much smoother. Of what I've seen of United this season, they struggle the most when teams press their midfield (especially Herrera and Blind, though he's injured) and back four pretty hard. Henderson has to start for that reason alone.

Mignolet; Manquillo, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno; Lucas, Can, Henderson, Gerrard; Markovic, Sterling.

Get at them with pace via the FBs and Markovic and Sterling. Can and Henderson to do loads of donkey work in midfield.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #63: Dec 11, 2014 05:54:39 pm
      Gerrard false 9. ;)
      Markovic and Sterling alongside.
      Pacy.

This is how I'd play it. For me, it would be:

Migs
      Johno-Toure-Sakho-Moreno
      Lucas
      Lallana - Coutinho
      Markovic - Gerrard - Sterling

Won't happen though. Most likely it will be:

Migs
      Johno-skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
      Gerrard
      Hendo - Allen
      Markovic - Lambert - Sterling
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #64: Dec 11, 2014 06:00:39 pm
      Stuff the midfield and hope for a draw? That might work against The likes of hull and Sunderland but inviting pressure and no outlet is asking for trouble with our fragile defence.

How do you get "Stuff the midfield and hope for a draw" from what I posted? I said playing a more defensive tactic of containment and stifling their attack. Play a false nine and pack the midfield. In other words, not going in to this game viewing it as a must win but rather a must-not-loose.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #65: Dec 11, 2014 06:18:13 pm
      How do you get "Stuff the midfield and hope for a draw" from what I posted? I said playing a more defensive tactic of containment and stifling their attack. Play a false nine and pack the midfield. In other words, not going in to this game viewing it as a must win but rather a must-not-loose.

What you have suggested is what we have been doing for the last 5 games with Lucas, Allen and Hendo restricted in his forward runs. Result being no threat of a goal.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #66: Dec 11, 2014 06:36:58 pm
      Lucas, Toure and Makovic to start please!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #67: Dec 11, 2014 06:37:23 pm
      What you have suggested is what we have been doing for the last 5 games with Lucas, Allen and Hendo restricted in his forward runs. Result being no threat of a goal.

That's the entire point, mate. Why change things now when we're about to play an away game against one of the league's best attacking forces? Why should this be viewed as a must-win game any more than the last five games? Getting a point away to United given the way our season has gone and the players we have available for selection won't be a bad result. Get through this game in the manner we've been getting through games for a while now, then bully Arsenal in to capitulation then we have three relatively easy games to play.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #68: Dec 11, 2014 06:45:24 pm
      That's the entire point, mate. Why change things now when we're about to play an away game against one of the league's best attacking forces? Why should this be viewed as a must-win game any more than the last five games? Getting a point away to United given the way our season has gone and the players we have available for selection won't be a bad result. Get through this game in the manner we've been getting through games for a while now, then bully Arsenal in to capitulation.

I can understand your reasoning but bullying Arsenal to capitulation? I doubt that will happen.
      Rodgers has nothing to lose really he needs to show he is brave with signs we are moving forward and United is a good game to get back some attacking threat to our game because their defence is sh*te.
      Another turgid performance with zero shots on target at HT and the clamour for his head will be ridiculous.

Quick Reply