Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Time to drop the Ego Brendan...

Read 4658 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Time to drop the Ego Brendan...
      Dec 12, 2014 04:35:50 pm
      Before the Ego drops you....

I'm all for keeping Brendan, and really hope he turns this mess around before FSG weigh in. BUT this crap about Sakho, Borini and to some extent Jones, has to stop. What the feck is his issue with giving them a shot. Lampost was knackered before the Basel game and there was no striker on the bench? Ridiculous. Sakho is better than Lovren, but cant get into the team. Continuing with Gerrard in DM whilst Lucas was available killed us for 13 games. Johnson and Lovren continually starting over better players.... killed us. Migs continually starting over Jones..., makes sense. ha. Not buying a proper DM in all his windows, beggers belief.

No defensive coach.
      Sticking with his pals for coaches. So nobody second guesses him.
      Slow to change the issues we can all see - those outlined above.

He just appears to have lost his way a bit and we have dropped into a rut. Dont know whether he has the capacity to ask for help either.

Wheres the spine Brendan? Not 1 of the players we have look like they can lead us through this mess.... Gerrard included.

I think UTD will beat us on Sunday, not cause they are much better than us, but because they are confident and have some sense of identity in the game style.

Where is the mayhem gone?

Desperate times Brendan.... Everyone needs this turned around and fast.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Time to drop the Ego Brendan...
      Reply #1: Dec 12, 2014 05:04:39 pm
      I think I'll rename him Lee Harvey Rodgers.
      The Fenway patsy.

He's got an ego with the players, and himself. Sadly he doesn't have one with his paymasters.
      Ted Rodgers owes it to us the fans to tell us whats going on with the "transfer committee".
      Otherwise, its time he found his way into Dusty Bin.

Hang on, that doesn't sound right.  :o
      Anyway. whatever.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #2: Dec 12, 2014 06:16:39 pm
      I don't think the man has a ego,the hype of last season has got to him, when you start to believe your own hype,you land in trouble.

Just knuckle down & humble himself and I'm back onboard, I don't like the bullshit,just put your hands up man.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #3: Dec 12, 2014 06:57:42 pm
      I'd much rather he had an ego and was his own man than followed the crowd.

He will succeed or fail but his decisions and I think he is big enough to realise that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Dec 12, 2014 11:26:42 pm
      Time he F***ing wore his big fat ego out for all to see. Better a swaggering Brendan goes down fighting than a tepid Brendan fades out.

Last season he made ruthless calls with players.
      Turns out he needs to apply that same ruthlessness to more established names this season.

Less ego?
      Nah.
      Bring on the medallions.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #5: Dec 12, 2014 11:28:45 pm
      I'd much rather he had an ego and was his own man than followed the crowd.

He will succeed or fail but his decisions and I think he is big enough to realise that.
      A manager should following the crowd, but he should listen to people of the club. I'm not sure if he's doing that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #6: Dec 13, 2014 12:04:42 am
      Time he F***ing wore his big fat ego out for all to see. Better a swaggering Brendan goes down fighting than a tepid Brendan fades out.

Turns out he needs to apply that same ruthlessness to more established names this season.

Less ego?
      Nah.
      Bring on the medallions.

Agree 100%

I think he's actually been too timid this season and taken the easy option and played the experienced names.

I think if he went with his gut he could turn us around.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Dec 13, 2014 12:59:24 am
      I think he's actually been too timid this season and taken the easy option and played the experienced names.

I don't even think its the easy option he's took to be honest, I think its more to do with a sense of loyalty, he's tried to be loyal to the players who burst their balls for him last season.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #8: Dec 13, 2014 03:17:11 am
      Rodgers is completely out of his depth. He was carried by Suarez last year. Now we see what he's made of. The Borini and Sakho freezing tells the whole story. A petty, vindictive man holding a grudge. Pathetic!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Dec 13, 2014 04:00:24 am

Less ego?
      Nah.
      Bring on the medallions.

I like this logic Racer and absolutely loved "bring on the medallions" classic mate.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,313 posts | 1007 
      Reply #10: Dec 13, 2014 09:36:17 am
      http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/546669/Brendan-Rodgers-Best-For-Liverpool-Job

Interesting article with quotes from Brendan. He is certainly not short on confidence. Let's hope he can manage to pass it on to the players.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #11: Dec 13, 2014 10:03:26 am
      http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/12/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-manchester-united

Brendan Rodgers has responded defiantly to mounting criticism of his Liverpool tenure and claimed he is the best man for the task of restoring fortunes at Anfield.

Not for the first time this season the Liverpool manager is under pressure after his team’s elimination from the Champions League on Tuesday and their poor performance in the must-win game against Basel. European failure has accompanied poor domestic form and Liverpool visit Manchester United on Sunday ninth in the Premier League, six points adrift of fourth-placed West Ham United.

Rodgers’ team selection and tactics against Basel attracted fierce criticism, with several former Liverpool players voicing dismay and questioning the manager’s job prospects. The 41-year-old has spoken to members of Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owners, since the Champions League exit and claims they remain “a tight group”. For his growing band of critics, however, there was only a confident riposte from Rodgers before the trip to Old Trafford.

“I think the message from me is clear: I don’t think there would be anyone better to do the job here,” he said.

“Seven months ago we nearly won the title unexpectedly, I had time to work with players and we took them beyond where the club has been in a long time.

“This has been a difficult start with new players, less coaching time, young players; we are virtually starting again. I don’t think there is anybody better equipped to deal with that having been here for the last two and a half years and experienced what this club is about and seeing what we get from the players whenever we are at our best.

Criticism comes with the territory when you don’t win games. Football is very short term. The same people who are criticising me now were maybe saying I couldn’t do anything wrong six or seven months ago. That is the way football works. You have to accept that as a manager and fight even harder to bring success. This period has ensured I will do that for sure.”

Liverpool spent almost £120m on new players in the summer – the biggest transfer outlay in the club’s history – to strengthen the squad and compensate for Luis Suárez’s departure to Barcelona. Despite that Rodgers claimed after their Champions League exit there were unrealistic expectations on Liverpool and cited the all-too-brief impact of the £20m Lazar Markovic as evidence of young players needing time to adapt.

“His 15-minute cameo the other night was what we have been on at him about since he came in, that aggression and being that dynamic player,” said Rodgers. “But I think that also demonstrates the difficulties of coming to a club of this size at the age of 20 and dealing with the expectation. Slowly they get there.”

The manager’s conviction that he is the best man for the Liverpool job is based on his coaching ability and suitability for the parameters set by FSG at Anfield. Rodgers, who admits his team need to rediscover how to “play without fear”, said:

“I’m not going to cry about the situation here. I’m at a club where the model is based on buying players to create them to be world class. That is the model at the football club and you will see from the majority of the players who have come in that is what it’s about.

“The club has employed someone who, without being arrogant, believes he can get the best out of a senior player or a youth player.

He will always maximise talents he has and I think last year proved that. This year a new group of players have come in and we have been unfortunate with injuries. The club is in a different place from others but that is something I accept as part of my job here at Liverpool.”

Mario Balotelli could return to the Liverpool squad at Old Trafford having missed six matches with a groin problem and Kolo TourĂ© is also available after injury forced him out of the Basel game. As for reports that Raheem Sterling is unhappy over the terms of a new contract offered by Liverpool, Rodgers said: “There is no unhappiness and I’m sure the contract will be sorted out in time.”

The manager cut a downbeat figure on the eve of the final Champions League game when the defiance that underpinned his approach to United might have been expected. But Rodgers denied that Liverpool’s form and the criticism he has received only seven months after being named the LMA manager of the year has prompted introspection.

“Command is lonely whenever you are at the top end and the leading edge of the game,” he said.
      “That’s the job from within. I know exactly where we are at.
      Of course there is a little frustration in terms of where we were for a couple of years and now we are sort of starting again. But it is my job to take responsibility for that. When you are doing well, like last year, then it is down to the players and rightly so, the recruitment is good and everything in the club is good. When you’re doing not so well, then it’s down to the manager. That is football and you learn to deal with that.

“I’ve got to find a way, with the squad of players and the players we have out injured, to release our talent and our football again. That’s the one that is driving me on every single day and I won’t be happy until I get that again. That is something that is driving me on. I certainly don’t doubt myself. I know exactly where we are at and what we would need.”

The disturbing thing ... is how he now talks about himself in the third party.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #12: Dec 13, 2014 10:08:45 am
      the man has an ego comparable to mourinho, and he didnt won anything, imagine if he won the title, he would have demanded a stand named after him, what a joke of a man, has a sh*t season, and isn't humble enough to admit that maybe, just maybe, someone could help the club better than him

look at how klopp admitted that he made some mistakes this year, and he said that he won't stay in the way of a man who can help the club better than him in this moment, and he actually won alot of trophies with dortmund
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #13: Dec 13, 2014 10:36:43 am
      I dont know why he thinks he is the best man for the job.To hell with the thoughts,he can think whatever the hell he wants but why admit such things in public.I really dont know what has gotten into him lately as he spouts such non-sense to the media.Better if you concentrate on the f***in team rather than making some self made assumptions.As someone pointed above,this man has actually taken into his own hype. :f_doh:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Dec 13, 2014 10:53:04 am
      Its worse than even  Souness was.

Pride comes before a fall.

Deeds not words.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: Dec 13, 2014 12:38:51 pm
      He said that the current situation reminds him of his first 6months here.does he not realise how bad that makes him look ,He has spent over ÂŁ200million and yet he hasn't improved his team.
      He needs to shut up he  is talking himself out of favour with a lot of people at the moment.Just win some football matches and stop talking.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: Dec 13, 2014 12:42:59 pm
      He said that the current situation reminds him of his first 6months here.does he not realise how bad that makes him look ,He has spent over ÂŁ200million and yet he hasn't improved his team.
      He needs to shut up he  is talking himself out of favour with a lot of people at the moment.Just win some football matches and stop talking.

Good advice that Walt.

“Command is lonely whenever you are at the top end and the leading edge of the game,”

Found the above quote a bit odd when talking from a position of 9th in the Premier League.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #17: Dec 13, 2014 04:14:45 pm

Less ego?
      Nah.
      Bring on the medallions.
      This thread needs no other posts than this one. Spot on.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #18: Dec 13, 2014 11:22:06 pm
      Some Hodgson-esque quotes from Brendan there but..just win a game of F***ing ball and then spout whatever bollix you want.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Dec 14, 2014 08:51:40 am
      http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/12/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-manchester-united

Brendan Rodgers has responded defiantly to mounting criticism of his Liverpool tenure and claimed he is the best man for the task of restoring fortunes at Anfield.

Not for the first time this season the Liverpool manager is under pressure after his team’s elimination from the Champions League on Tuesday and their poor performance in the must-win game against Basel. European failure has accompanied poor domestic form and Liverpool visit Manchester United on Sunday ninth in the Premier League, six points adrift of fourth-placed West Ham United.

Rodgers’ team selection and tactics against Basel attracted fierce criticism, with several former Liverpool players voicing dismay and questioning the manager’s job prospects. The 41-year-old has spoken to members of Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owners, since the Champions League exit and claims they remain “a tight group”. For his growing band of critics, however, there was only a confident riposte from Rodgers before the trip to Old Trafford.

“I think the message from me is clear: I don’t think there would be anyone better to do the job here,” he said.

“Seven months ago we nearly won the title unexpectedly, I had time to work with players and we took them beyond where the club has been in a long time.

“This has been a difficult start with new players, less coaching time, young players; we are virtually starting again. I don’t think there is anybody better equipped to deal with that having been here for the last two and a half years and experienced what this club is about and seeing what we get from the players whenever we are at our best.

Criticism comes with the territory when you don’t win games. Football is very short term. The same people who are criticising me now were maybe saying I couldn’t do anything wrong six or seven months ago. That is the way football works. You have to accept that as a manager and fight even harder to bring success. This period has ensured I will do that for sure.”

Liverpool spent almost £120m on new players in the summer – the biggest transfer outlay in the club’s history – to strengthen the squad and compensate for Luis Suárez’s departure to Barcelona. Despite that Rodgers claimed after their Champions League exit there were unrealistic expectations on Liverpool and cited the all-too-brief impact of the £20m Lazar Markovic as evidence of young players needing time to adapt.

“His 15-minute cameo the other night was what we have been on at him about since he came in, that aggression and being that dynamic player,” said Rodgers. “But I think that also demonstrates the difficulties of coming to a club of this size at the age of 20 and dealing with the expectation. Slowly they get there.”

The manager’s conviction that he is the best man for the Liverpool job is based on his coaching ability and suitability for the parameters set by FSG at Anfield. Rodgers, who admits his team need to rediscover how to “play without fear”, said:

“I’m not going to cry about the situation here. I’m at a club where the model is based on buying players to create them to be world class. That is the model at the football club and you will see from the majority of the players who have come in that is what it’s about.

“The club has employed someone who, without being arrogant, believes he can get the best out of a senior player or a youth player.

He will always maximise talents he has and I think last year proved that. This year a new group of players have come in and we have been unfortunate with injuries. The club is in a different place from others but that is something I accept as part of my job here at Liverpool.”

Mario Balotelli could return to the Liverpool squad at Old Trafford having missed six matches with a groin problem and Kolo TourĂ© is also available after injury forced him out of the Basel game. As for reports that Raheem Sterling is unhappy over the terms of a new contract offered by Liverpool, Rodgers said: “There is no unhappiness and I’m sure the contract will be sorted out in time.”

The manager cut a downbeat figure on the eve of the final Champions League game when the defiance that underpinned his approach to United might have been expected. But Rodgers denied that Liverpool’s form and the criticism he has received only seven months after being named the LMA manager of the year has prompted introspection.

“Command is lonely whenever you are at the top end and the leading edge of the game,” he said.
      “That’s the job from within. I know exactly where we are at.
      Of course there is a little frustration in terms of where we were for a couple of years and now we are sort of starting again. But it is my job to take responsibility for that. When you are doing well, like last year, then it is down to the players and rightly so, the recruitment is good and everything in the club is good. When you’re doing not so well, then it’s down to the manager. That is football and you learn to deal with that.

“I’ve got to find a way, with the squad of players and the players we have out injured, to release our talent and our football again. That’s the one that is driving me on every single day and I won’t be happy until I get that again. That is something that is driving me on. I certainly don’t doubt myself. I know exactly where we are at and what we would need.”

The disturbing thing ... is how he now talks about himself in the third party.

Loved all that.  Release the madness and let the players express themselves today. Confidence is what we need. He should share some of his with the players
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Dec 14, 2014 08:52:50 am

Less ego?
      Nah.
      Bring on the medallions.

Love it
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Dec 14, 2014 09:29:08 am
      the man has an ego comparable to mourinho, and he didnt won anything, imagine if he won the title, he would have demanded a stand named after him, what a joke of a man, has a sh*t season, and isn't humble enough to admit that maybe, just maybe, someone could help the club better than him

look at how klopp admitted that he made some mistakes this year, and he said that he won't stay in the way of a man who can help the club better than him in this moment, and he actually won alot of trophies with dortmund

F**k me you talk some sh*t!  The man has tonnes more humility than Mourinho.
      He doesn't have an ego, It's called self confidence, and its an essential ingredient to be a successful manager.

I bet you'd take Mourinho in a heart beat!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22: Dec 14, 2014 09:35:17 am
      While we're at it lets tell Stevie G to drop his ego as well, I mean who does he think he is stepping up take free kicks and penalties???  :roll:
      Give it a rest with the anti Brendan agenda, and concentrate on supporting the team FFS! Call yourself supporters? You're an embarrassment to this great club!

Quick Reply