Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Stick or Twist?

Read 3194 times
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Stick or Twist?
      Dec 14, 2014 07:40:16 pm
      Today, right or wrongly I kissed goodbye to 3rd and 4th place. Which means our excursion into the Champions League this year was merely just a brief liaison with Europe’s elite, and not the long meaningful affair we’d hoped it would be.

“But we only have to win the Europa league and we will qualify for the champions league that way!!” I hear some cry…..
      Brendan’s record in cups is abysmal. He has never managed a team past the 5th of any competition, so the odds are we won’t be uprooting any trees in Europe second tier tournament.

My point is this… in my humble opinion todays result has put any dreams of Champions League Qualification to bed. And in this day and age this is the minimum requirement.

I dont want to see the back of the manager but the season seems gone already. A cup run would be a decent distraction, but would you bet on us v Bournemouth? I f**king wouldn’t. 

So do we want to see the back of him or see it through to the disappointing end?

Thoughts?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Stick or Twist?
      Reply #1: Dec 14, 2014 07:45:51 pm
      My thoughts are the same as they were weeks ago, our best chance of CL footy is the Europa League and we should put everything we have into trying to win that.

Only problem with it being it's a knockout competition and Brendan's record in those is abysmal.

Don't think we've got a hope but while we're in it, we can win it.

I personally value the domestic cups, I was brought up with the mentality that winning things proved success not commercial viability and sustainable incomes, they were for the accountants and should never be discussed among football fans.

I love trips to Wembley, I love adding more silverware to the trophy room, that's what I believe football is about. Win us a cup this season and I would remember it for life. Finish 4th and I doubt in 5 years I'll remember the glory of coming 4th, although it might be a bloody good achievement right now.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2: Dec 14, 2014 07:49:26 pm
      Today, right or wrongly I kissed goodbye to 3rd and 4th place. Which means our excursion into the Champions League this year was merely just a brief liaison with Europe’s elite, and not the long meaningful affair we’d hoped it would be.
      “But we only have to win the Europa league and we will qualify for the champions league that way!!” I hear some cry…..
      Brendan’s record in cups is abysmal. He has never managed a team past the 5th of any competition, so the odds are we won’t be uprooting any trees in Europe second tier tournament.

My point is this… in my humble opinion todays result has put any dreams of Champions League Qualification to bed. And in this day and age this is the minimum requirement.

I dont want to see the back of the manager but the season seems gone already. A cup run would be a decent distraction, but would you bet on us v Bournemouth? I F***ing wouldn’t. 

So do we want to see the back of him or see it through to the disappointing end?

Thoughts?

No one likes the idea of going back to square one, a new manager would bring the possibility of have to start everything again, rebuild the squad or a wise manager who can make the most of players already here.
      It's not looking good for BR, I wasn't expecting the totally naff football we're playing this season, I can't picture what our style of football is supposed to be, it's a huge mess and tactics, team practice, organization, attitude all seem to be to a low standard.
      My enjoyment this season is set back to have to hope for a new season, Brendan seems to be out his depth now and even seems to be making crazy decisions under the pressure.
      Like taking off Moreno today for instance. Made no sense whatsoever. he was putting the effort in to win the ball.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: Dec 14, 2014 07:51:09 pm
      down to 10th in the league be 11th tomorrow when Everton beat QPR .
      What is FSG breaking point we will not finish top 4 with this squad and manager get a new manager in give him some money and top 4 is still a worthy objective.
      But the multi million dollar question is WHO.
      So if its RAFA get him in tomorrow anyone else leave it until the summer
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #4: Dec 14, 2014 07:52:33 pm
      My thoughts are the same as they were weeks ago, our best chance of CL footy is the Europa League and we should put everything we have into trying to win that.

Only problem with it being it's a knockout competition and Brendan's record in those is abysmal.

Don't think we've got a hope but while we're in it, we can win it.

I personally value the domestic cups, I was brought up with the mentality that winning things proved success not commercial viability and sustainable incomes, they were for the accountants and should never be discussed among football fans.

I love trips to Wembley, I love adding more silverware to the trophy room, that's what I believe football is about. Win us a cup this season and I would remember it for life. Finish 4th and I doubt in 5 years I'll remember the glory of coming 4th, although it might be a bloody good achievement right now.
      I’d love a cup run too... but i can’t see us having a run in them.

Between us, Watford Swansea and Reading he has never been beyond the 5th round of the domestic cups. And those 5th rounds were both in his first year at Watford.

I don’t have faith he can get us a result. With Rafa we had a manager who could get a result in a cup, no matter the opposition. I have no faith in Brendan doing that… especially at this moment.

Its all about the 4th for me, and that’s gone.  So If its cups you want Brendan has to go
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #5: Dec 14, 2014 08:06:59 pm
      Stick.

Do not want to do a Spurs.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #6: Dec 14, 2014 08:29:07 pm

I agree but we might do Chelsea and get a Rafa...

... And then actually get Rafa
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #7: Dec 14, 2014 08:36:47 pm

Actually it's BUST

But seriously: Personally I think/feel we are back to those dark years from a few years ago.

Last season was great, we knew LS was off, so did the board, and so did BR. So what did they do?

They pursued a number of player to bolster the squad for the gruelling CL campaign. Well that worked really well did it not?

They pursued a number of Southampton players who had a reasonable 1st half of the season, but then faded away. A group of players who had not had much if any European Club football. A great strategy on paper, but have any of the big(ger) clubs done that? If they have, those players did not go in and make the first team week in and week out.

LS's replacement, is there one? Lambert was a back-up at best, never missed a Pen, well he did in his attempt for us. Balotelli, we knew he was a gamble, but those odds were misleading weren't they? Not really done much at all, with hindsight I guess he is the type of player who thrives on the quality around him. (Nuff said.)

Last year we had a well oiled machine, but a single but essential cog left, and instead of replacing that cog, we bought another less oiled machine and tried to jam everything in to one casing.

Why then,  did they not leave everything alone, (as it was not broken), is beyond me, why they did not just replace LS with another proven goal scorer is also beyond me, why they did not throw a good few wads of money at a player and his agent is, you guess it, beyond me too.

If they had, it would have cost less in the long run, we may still be in the CL making shed loads from TV rights, my be pushing for the top 4 or even higher. As it is we're not.

Did we need to bolster the squad anyway? If we did, why have we so many up and coming players on loan?, why do we have a forward who is not even in the picture? Why, why, why???

Chelsea have players on loan, but they can afford to, they can just go out and buy Costa and the like, we are not Chelsea. Man Utd, even with all there problems, can go out and buy a few decent proven players, But they are just adding not changing/rebuilding. Same goes for Arsenal and City, Barca, Madrid etc. etc.

Seriously who were the last "proven" players we bought? Torres & Suarez, that's who, and where are they now?.... Else where.

Instead of buying expensive bulk buys, we need, NO the board need to buy 1 or 2 proven players per window.

Just a bit of stability for once, and stop all of this chopping and changing every season, but guess what, we're starting from square one again, so as to the question, Stick or Twist? Painful that it is, I'd try Roulette.

And because of all the this, I'd twist. New manager syndrome just may save our season.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #8: Dec 14, 2014 08:37:15 pm
      I personally think FSG will have already begun the search. That will intensify if we lose to Bournemouth and the arse.
      If we don't win those two, I can't see Brendan surviving after the summer, and perhaps after Jan, if there's a chance of anyone proven coming in.
      I'd see how we were sitting after the xmas fixtures and if we are anything less than 12th. Change then before it's too late.
      Far to many top clubs have been relegated because they didn't believe it could happen to them, until it was too late.
      BE WARNED.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #9: Dec 14, 2014 08:40:19 pm
      Stick. Let's see when Sturridge comes back and who we buy in January. If we lose to Bournemouth and Arsenal, however, I think John Henry will lose patience.

Do you even know how many times we've finished above Spurs in the last 5 years? I'd concentrate on our own failures before criticizing others.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Dec 14, 2014 09:11:20 pm
      Lets not all completely lose our heads after a rough defeat against our biggest rivals, off the back of last year he deserves until at least Jan to get the team together, I'm not convinced it will happen though, something just doesn't seem right in interviews these days, I'm beginning to fear he's lost the dressing room
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #11: Dec 14, 2014 09:12:23 pm
      Lets not all completely lose our heads after a rough defeat against our biggest rivals, off the back of last year he deserves until at least Jan to get the team together, I'm not convinced it will happen though, something just doesn't seem right in interviews these days, I'm beginning to fear he's lost the dressing room

mate, it's 2 weeks until jan
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #12: Dec 14, 2014 09:16:05 pm
      Stick. Let's see when Sturridge comes back and who we buy in January. If we lose to Bournemouth and Arsenal, however, I think John Henry will lose patience.

Do you even know how many times we've finished above Spurs in the last 5 years? I'd concentrate on our own failures before criticizing others.

Arsenal and Utd are lumped in with us for the "best oif the rest tag", so if we lose to them, and we might, the League season is doomed.

Rafa could steer us straight

i feel like a tw*t typing Rafas name but after today the feel the writing is on the wall for us as a club this season...so many last season were waiting to call us a one one man team... the more we play like today the more they can
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Dec 14, 2014 09:16:22 pm
      I know it ain't long and I wudnt blame fsg if they were looking at alternatives but I get the feeling the next two games cud answer the stick twist question for us. Win both n you have to think maybe we can start to pull things around
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #14: Dec 14, 2014 09:17:11 pm

This is gonna be a long couple of weeks.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #15: Dec 14, 2014 09:18:12 pm
      Win both n you have to think maybe we can start to pull things around

lost count of how many times i read this line
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: Dec 14, 2014 09:20:30 pm
      I know it ain't long and I wudnt blame fsg if they were looking at alternatives but I get the feeling the next two games cud answer the stick twist question for us. Win both n you have to think maybe we can start to pull things around

One of those two games is against bloody Bournemouth! We should be winning that game no matter what. If we're not expected to beat Bournemouth or if it becomes a major feat to beat a Championship club then why are we called Liverpool FC?
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #17: Dec 14, 2014 10:12:52 pm
      One of those two games is against bloody Bournemouth! We should be winning that game no matter what. If we're not expected to beat Bournemouth or if it becomes a major feat to beat a Championship club then why are we called Liverpool FC?

Of course we should but it's got to be some small morale boost to the lads to reach a semi final, plus am I right in thinking that would be the furthest BR has ever been in a knockout comp?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18: Dec 14, 2014 10:54:16 pm
      Here's the simple truth of the matter, the truth that the Rodgers' haters convienently ignore. If you where to say FSG will fire Brendan Rodgers, bring in an experienced, big name manager, forget about the whole signing potential over developed talent and hand the new gaffer a ÂŁ100 million to rebulid the team then I'd say let's go for it. Short of that, what's the point? FSG bring in another novice manager who has nothing to spend and the same players to work with. So again, what's the point? Better the devil you know for now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #19: Dec 14, 2014 10:58:21 pm
      What's the point sacking him no decent manager will be available mid season. Might as well see where we are end of the season.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #20: Dec 14, 2014 11:33:50 pm
      Here's the simple truth of the matter, the truth that the Rodgers' haters convienently ignore. If you where to say FSG will fire Brendan Rodgers, bring in an experienced, big name manager, forget about the whole signing potential over developed talent and hand the new gaffer a ÂŁ100 million to rebulid the team then I'd say let's go for it. Short of that, what's the point? FSG bring in another novice manager who has nothing to spend and the same players to work with. So again, what's the point? Better the devil you know for now.

Some simply want to ignore this.. I don't think they can see past the possibility that one man isn't to blame and that all we would end up with is Rodgers mk2.. Still working within fsg's guidelines .

There is no chance they replace him with am experienced winner who won't agree to their way

What's the point sacking him no decent manager will be available mid season. Might as well see where we are end of the season.

Yeah I agree that we won't prize away a top manager mid season either even if that's the shelf they shopped on

What annoys me is the same thing I aid post Rafa and Kenny, rebuilding and starting again when you don't have Chelsea's wage structure and buying power simply just sets you back even further.. Manager A spends 100 million, it doesn't happen overnight, we get trigger happy and that 100m is wasted as manager B doesn't rate them and wants ' his players'
      Manager B spends 70m.. It doesn't work he gets binned. Manager C comes in, doesn't like that squad, rips it up starts again

Round and round we go

just get it right and stick with him

Would you come here with that lack of stability and to a club not paying top dollar to sweeten?

Bigger problems here than simply a manager.. The structure is failing
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #21: Dec 15, 2014 12:39:04 am
      Exactly, PD, only you end up with the new manager having his own training methods, his own playing style, both of which the players have to get used to which takes time so doesn't solve the underlying issue that we can't buy a win at the moment. Sacking the manager without fundemental changes to the structure and policies of the club will only make matters worse.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #22: Dec 15, 2014 01:01:22 am
      I just feel sick.

In all the dark days I have never seen our club transform so quickly from one so good to one so desperately bad.

We have nothing. Our goalkeepers are crap, our defence is crap, our midfield well...what is our midfield? and our attack is none existent.

Like I said, I just feel sick. Just when I think we are moving forward, it turns out to be a lie.

Quick Reply