Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

3 signings in January?

Read 16479 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: 3 signings in January?
      Reply #115: Jan 05, 2015 03:06:23 pm
      Why would Berahino be awful for us? He has similar attributes to Sturridge and unlike Balotelli, Lambert, and Borini he would actually fit Rodgers style of football.

Lots of players fit Brendans style of football.

You could even argue Borini does, please remind me who signed him again?

It doesn't mean they are good enough for Liverpool though does it?

In my opinion Berahino is flavour of the month but is nothing more than an average forward. We probably won't even remember his name in 2 or 3 years and he will be playing football for Scunthorpe.

I can just imagine us spending 20m and him flopping at Anfield. I'm growing sick and tired of those sort of signings.

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #116: Jan 05, 2015 03:09:28 pm
      Ideally I would like to sell Borini and Balotelli and bring in Origi, Berahino and Shaqiri.

what is it with this boy?? he's had half a season in a weak team, so of course he looks good! plus we have players like him already!! Ibe is back next season!!

if we could nick him for £10m/£12m hes worth a go but if we go into him they are going want £25m plus.... and do'ya know what? we'll probably F***ing pay it too!!

we'll never learn!!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #117: Jan 05, 2015 03:23:44 pm
      I think realistically we will get Vorm, Berahino and a DM in the summer. But if Can can do the job, maybe not.

I'd be pretty happy about Vorm, don't know about anyone else here. Doubt Spurs would sell him, though.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #118: Jan 05, 2015 04:02:06 pm
      Lots of players fit Brendans style of football.

You could even argue Borini does, please remind me who signed him again?

It doesn't mean they are good enough for Liverpool though does it?

In my opinion Berahino is flavour of the month but is nothing more than an average forward. We probably won't even remember his name in 2 or 3 years and he will be playing football for Scunthorpe.

I can just imagine us spending 20m and him flopping at Anfield. I'm growing sick and tired of those sort of signings.

I disagree I think Berahino is going to be a cracking player.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #119: Jan 05, 2015 04:25:20 pm
      I disagree I think Berahino is going to be a cracking player.

Have you actually seen him play? Or have you just checked whether he has scored a goal when your checking the results on teletext?

I think you've been brainwashed by the media who are shagging his arse at the minute because of his nationality & he's scored half a dozen goals.

He is 21 now. Compare him to Sterling, who is younger, and ask yourself who has shown the most promise.

I'd be disappointed if we signed Berahino and especially if we spent big money on him. Time is still on his side but I'd be surprised if he establishes himself as a great player from what I've seen of him so far.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #120: Jan 05, 2015 04:47:31 pm
      Have you actually seen him play? Or have you just checked whether he has scored a goal when your checking the results on teletext?

I think you've been brainwashed by the media who are shagging his arse at the minute because of his nationality & he's scored half a dozen goals.

He is 21 now. Compare him to Sterling, who is younger, and ask yourself who has shown the most promise.

I'd be disappointed if we signed Berahino and especially if we spent big money on him. Time is still on his side but I'd be surprised if he establishes himself as a great player from what I've seen of him so far.

I was actually looking for us to sign Berahino last season mate. I have always liked the look of the kid he has all the attributes to be a top striker even if he hasn't realised his potential yet.

Sterling has been playing in a better side his career so far and he hasn't looked too hot this season has he? At least Berahino is scoring goals in the PL unlike our strikers.

And teletext???
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #121: Jan 05, 2015 05:14:17 pm
      I was actually looking for us to sign Berahino last season mate. I have always liked the look of the kid he has all the attributes to be a top striker even if he hasn't realised his potential yet.

Sterling has been playing in a better side his career so far and he hasn't looked too hot this season has he? At least Berahino is scoring goals in the PL unlike our strikers.

And teletext???

If you've genuinely watched Berahino and you believe he is good enough to play for Liverpool then fair enough. I'm shocked at that though.

Just had a quick look at his stats and he scores a goal every 4 appearances. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh because some of those will be from the bench but still, it's not very good is it? I have no doubt that if Raheem was in the WBA team then he would have more of an impact than Berahino has had so far, that was my point.

He's scored a decent goal or 2 against the mancs and the media have shagged him ever since. He is flavour of the month and nothing more. Nobody will be talking about him this time in 6-12 months. So have you actually seen him play or do you just notice he is on the score sheet when your checking Saturdays results?

Even look at his goals this season, 2 or 3 have been pens and 2 or 3 have come off his arse or his head from a yard out. What are all these attributes your talking about? Pace? Why don't we sign usain bolt then if all you need is pace?

Don't bother showing me footage of England u12's or what hes done in the reserves or whatever either. I'm not interested whether he can score a 50 yard screamer against icelands u12's.

Your entitled to your opinion obviously.... im just surprised as a Liverpool fan you would be happy to see berahino start for us week in week out when we've been spoilt with the likes of suarez, torres, fowler, owen, rush, keegan, kenny  etc etc etc. We should be aiming at signing a player of that calibre. Not berahino  :lmao:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #122: Jan 05, 2015 05:57:57 pm
      I'd be pretty happy about Vorm, don't know about anyone else here. Doubt Spurs would sell him, though.

Vorm isn't bad, hes 31 so he's getting to his 'prime' age as a goalkeeper. I'd imagine he will want to play first team football. He's yet to start a game for spurs in the league.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #123: Jan 05, 2015 06:02:44 pm
      Well Vorm would have been ours if the committee didn't veto it. Missed our chance with that one, shame as he would have been a good choice for a very low fee.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #124: Jan 06, 2015 03:25:59 pm
      Jackson Martinez, Shaqiri and Cabaye please. Is that really too much to ask for?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #125: Jan 06, 2015 03:28:02 pm
      Jackson Martinez, Shaqiri and Cabaye please. Is that really too much to ask for?

Where FSG are concerned I'd imagine so.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #126: Jan 06, 2015 04:22:50 pm
      If you've genuinely watched Berahino and you believe he is good enough to play for Liverpool then fair enough. I'm shocked at that though.

Just had a quick look at his stats and he scores a goal every 4 appearances. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh because some of those will be from the bench but still, it's not very good is it? I have no doubt that if Raheem was in the WBA team then he would have more of an impact than Berahino has had so far, that was my point.

I think there are better options out there than Berahino, but worth remembering that looking at his career stats this early into his career doesn't do much good. He maybe 1 in 4 over two seasons, but this season he is much closer to 1 in 2 which implies he is getting better (shocker that a 20 year didn't score much last year in a relegation threatened team). Gets even better if you look at his international form (10 in 13 for U21s and I know you are disparaging of the U21s but the standard is quite high and his goals came against decent teams) and other competitions (5 in 4 cup games - admittedly 4 from the last one).

Anyway, looks like someone is dragging his name through the mud to get him cheaper. Might be us, might be spurs.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #127: Jan 06, 2015 04:27:23 pm
      For the record, I've seen him play and he does look quite the player. Only question mark for me is his attitude*, not his ability.

*and I know the whole Studge supposedly had attitude but is the model citizen for us spiel - Berahino's problems are quite different. Sturridge never had anyone try to punch him or problems with the law.

I'd like Lacazette but that would take a 40mil+ bid really at this point to pry him from Lyon
      The Welsh Dragon
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 49 posts |
      Reply #128: Jan 14, 2015 08:12:11 pm
      Ter Stergen - Loan (worth a try, hasn't had much game time at Barcelona), don't think we would be able to buy him in the summer though, only a chance if Enrique stays, which is unlikely.

Moutinho - Think this may be worth a shot, Monaco aren't all that and surely a few of there star players wouldn't be happy with Falcao leaving. Not sure of the value, maybe £20 million ish? Perhaps he isn't what we need, Strootman (I don't think we could attract him here anyway).

Winston Reid - Contracts up at the end of the season, £3 or £4 million. Better than Lovren anyway as backup.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #129: Jan 14, 2015 09:02:58 pm
      The three signings in January, Murray, Ryland and Smorsgard.

Murray ,21, fits the bill, Young, lots of promise, with a good sell on value.

Ryland, 25, and Smorsgard, 27, are great players, we might have to keep them for their best years, meaning, we will lose out on their sell on value.

This is a radical change from the clubs normal policy, while it runs the risk of hurting our finances, it will make the football team better.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #130: Jan 15, 2015 12:02:40 am
      I think there are better options out there than Berahino, but worth remembering that looking at his career stats this early into his career doesn't do much good. He maybe 1 in 4 over two seasons, but this season he is much closer to 1 in 2 which implies he is getting better (shocker that a 20 year didn't score much last year in a relegation threatened team). Gets even better if you look at his international form (10 in 13 for U21s and I know you are disparaging of the U21s but the standard is quite high and his goals came against decent teams) and other competitions (5 in 4 cup games - admittedly 4 from the last one).

Anyway, looks like someone is dragging his name through the mud to get him cheaper. Might be us, might be spurs.

Signing another 21 year old would be making the same mistakes again. It would truly show we're stuck in ground hog day, unable to get past the 'potential' talent obsession and prove we're no longer a draw for big players. We need to prove we can sign big players by signing a big player. If we don't do it now and miss out on the top four as a result, we never will. So I'd settle on one January signing. A signing that sends a clear message for the Summer that says we're serious about being big time again. A player other top players will want to play alongside because the only player we have left who has any kind of draw will be gone in the Summer.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #131: Jan 15, 2015 12:16:09 am
      Before the last summer signings are settled, any new ones are pointless.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #132: Jan 15, 2015 12:23:01 am

If we're going that route; Neuer, Pogba, Suarez :)
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #133: Jan 15, 2015 12:37:03 am
      If we're going that route; Neuer, Pogba, Suarez :)
      Pogba is overrated, Suarez has peaked already. I´d have Neuer tho - not quiet on par at shot-stoping with Simon but better at other stuff.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #134: Jan 15, 2015 03:12:48 am
      Brad Guzan, Charlie Austin, Alex Song
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #135: Jan 15, 2015 09:53:35 am
      Brad Guzan, Charlie Austin, Alex Song

That would be like opening 3 kinder eggs..

You know you're bound to get two sh*te ones to get the half decent one
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #136: Jan 15, 2015 10:53:27 am
      Cech, Lacazette, Pjanic

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #137: Jan 15, 2015 10:59:25 am
      That would be like opening 3 kinder eggs..

You know you're bound to get two sh*te ones to get the half decent one

But will Kinder eggs be part of JWH & Co's long term plan?
      January could very well turn out to be completely eggless mate.

Quick Reply