Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool and Manchester United rivalry

Read 3083 times
      muzza9
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 1 posts |
      Liverpool and Manchester United rivalry
      Dec 17, 2014 01:34:40 pm
      Hi everyone, I'm doing a dissertation at the University of Leicester about the rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester United. I'm particularly interested in how the rivalry exists in the present day but also how it has existed in the past and are there any elements that are different. Also are there any particular events which have significantly contributed to this huge rivalry and I'll be looking at the different forms of rivalry that occur inside in comparison to outside the stadium. This rivalry is a significant element of football in the UK and anyone who is willing to be interviewed or who can at least provide an insight that would be great. Please comment on this post.
      Kind regards, George
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Liverpool and Manchester United rivalry
      Reply #2: Dec 17, 2014 02:23:58 pm
      The fact we where the most successful team in the land, only to go in to decline and be replaced by United is as significant contributory event as you're going to get.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: Dec 17, 2014 02:35:03 pm
      you need to understand and study the history of the two cities including the need for building the ship canal
      There is a lot of animosity between the two cities which goes back a long long way
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #4: Dec 20, 2014 01:45:40 am
      What rivalry?
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #5: Dec 20, 2014 03:12:44 am
      are u F***ing serious
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Dec 20, 2014 06:21:08 am
      I don't know about rivalry it is more a case of hatred between the clubs and the supporters.This has gone on since Matt Busby retired. Matt was an ex Liverpool player and a gentleman and in his day there was respect between the clubs. Sadly this lack of respect accelerated when Ferguson was appointed manager of the scum, here ends  the lesson.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #7: Dec 20, 2014 08:36:29 am
      I don't know about rivalry it is more a case of hatred between the clubs and the supporters.This has gone on since Matt Busby retired. Matt was an ex Liverpool player and a gentleman and in his day there was respect between the clubs. Sadly this lack of respect accelerated when Ferguson was appointed manager of the scum, here ends  the lesson.

True enuff Billy, the nasty old b***ard promoted hate and spite. Never once condemning the repulsive chants and behaviour of their so called ''supporters''.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #8: Dec 20, 2014 09:23:35 am
      I think rivalry existed for many many years for various reasons, obviously football was the main venue to show that rivality
       than a certain red nose Scottish scum appeared and with his interviews,actions,and comments . always mentioning LFC of how he wants to rival LFC's success and the rivality turned to HATE, between the 2 clubs' supporters, I remember clearly when we were in for Heinze and the player wanted to join LFC, red nose blocked the transfer by selling him for less than Liverpool offered
           for many , you cannot be a true LIVERPOOL supporter  if you don't hate the manure

YNWA
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: Dec 20, 2014 09:26:50 am

I'm with you, fairly sure Roy Hodgson solved all the emnity issues during his succesful stint at our club.  :P

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #10: Dec 20, 2014 09:59:01 am
      I think rivalry existed for many many years for various reasons, obviously football was the main venue to show that rivality
       than a certain red nose Scottish scum appeared and with his interviews,actions,and comments . always mentioning LFC of how he wants to rival LFC's success and the rivality turned to HATE, between the 2 clubs' supporters, I remember clearly when we were in for Heinze and the player wanted to join LFC, red nose blocked the transfer by selling him for less than Liverpool offered
           for many , you cannot be a true LIVERPOOL supporter  if you don't hate the manure

YNWA

It's a well known fact that whiskey nose was driven to dementia trying to emulate Bob Paisley's monumental achievement of winning three [3] CL trophies, to say nothing of LFC's five [5] CL cups in the trophy cabinet.
      The man was consumed with spite and jealousy which no doubt emanated from his professional footballing career being halted by injuries sustained in his prime. 
      He wears the purple nose like a medal in recognition of his services to alcoholism.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Dec 20, 2014 10:05:44 am
      It's a well known fact that whiskey nose was driven to dementia trying to emulate Bob Paisley's monumental achievement of winning three [3] CL trophies, to say nothing of LFC's five [5] CL cups in the trophy cabinet.
      The man was consumed with spite and jealousy which no doubt emanated from his professional footballing career being halted by injuries sustained in his prime. 
      He wears the purple nose like a medal in recognition of his services to alcoholism.

also stemmed from the time we battered Aberdeen 5-0 on aggregate in the european cup, including that great Terry Mac goal...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #12: Dec 20, 2014 10:13:03 am
      also stemmed from the time we battered Aberdeen 5-0 on aggregate in the european cup, including that great Terry Mac goal...

He stored it all mate and blames LFC for every F**k up in his life.
      The Scottish wine aids the confusion.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #13: Dec 20, 2014 11:41:17 am
      I just can't stand the smug bas**rds
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe