Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sterling as a centre forward the solution?

Read 7779 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Sterling as a centre forward the solution?
      Reply #23: Dec 18, 2014 07:52:25 pm
      Sterling is no Rush, suddenly he is asked to play the centre forward role and we can come to expect those 1 to 1 misses, and I'm sure he will improve. I'm not defending him but just trying to be fair here as I cursed as much as many here did when he missed some sitters.

More importantly is who plays along side Sterling inside the box? No one, eventhough there's one, nowhere to be seen.

That's what I've been harping along, this is one of the combo attacks that BR can try while Sturridge is still off injured, he has no choice and he can't continue to work on his failed projects of a lone Lambert or Balo striker. He has a quick Sterling, a skilfull Markovich/Cou a robust Lambert and a swashbuckling style Lallana, he has to somewhat work on some combos to make these players gel. Give these players to any top attacking coach, we will most probably be a high scoring team.

What we really needed to do is get players inside the box fast when Sterling is running towards it so that we can open up spaces and create scoring chances not ball watch outside the box and expects Sterling to dribble the ball into goal, that's what he's doing exactly now

Lallana and Markovic are the ones that can run into the box, moreso Lallana, watch his Southampton days, not camping outside the box or at the sides, it has taken the effectiveness out of him.

However, Sterling needs to be more aware of our players inside the box, at times he tend to over dribble while a simple side pass to someone in the box would have gotten us a goal.
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2014 08:04:43 pm by redkop63 »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #24: Dec 18, 2014 08:08:32 pm
      He will miss a lot of chances but he will score the odd one too. The big plus is he can stretch defences creating more room for our other creative players to flourish as well as offer a threat in behind for the likes of Lazar, Coutinho and Lallana to find.

I think if we can find a way in the future to have Lazar, Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Sturridge in the same line up we can get back on track. Balo and Lambert have really stopped our fast counter attacking flow I feel.

As for now Sterling will give defenders problems and they will not like playing against him one bit but we have to expect his final product may be some way short of a recognized striker.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #25: Dec 18, 2014 08:17:12 pm
      Sterling as a centre forward?

Yes, yes yes yes and more yes. I always wanted this with Lambert and Balotelli struggling like hell - and now I think Markovic should be playing behind him.

That's a sh*t load of pace right there - with that pace, and stretching defenders as a result, we can create a lot of space, which lads like Lallana and Coutinho could exploit with ease.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #26: Dec 18, 2014 08:24:27 pm

What about Borini , he's a more natural striker than Raheem , put him up there in a run of games surrounded by Raheem , Lallana, Markovic Coutinho and you never know, he's no Suarez I know but ......
      Tbh I think he's been treated abysmally, but then again Brendan sees what he sees each day.. Or is he trying to hold his value by not playing him... F**k knows, personally I don't think he's been given a big enough crack of the whip, maybe just maybe he'd come up trumps ,

YNWA

Borini is more lightweight than Sterling and hasn't got the tenacity Raheem has in abundance, to be honest mate I don't rate the lad - wouldn't hear a word said but now the charity has worn thin. 

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #27: Dec 18, 2014 08:48:27 pm
      I don't know whether it was his new haircut or what but he looked more balanced and had an extra gear in his pocket last night..
      He's really quick when he set's off after the ball and I think in certain games playing him up the middle up top is good..
      He had Markovic, Lallana and Coutinho to feed off last night and it worked well..
      Should he play in the same position against Arsenal?... Dunno..
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: Dec 18, 2014 10:01:39 pm
      Short term, definite option. Longer term, we sign a recognised striker and Sterling can go back to the mid/wing where he did so well last year.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #29: Dec 18, 2014 10:08:58 pm
      Short term, definite option. Longer term, we sign a recognised striker and Sterling can go back to the mid/wing where he did so well last year.

Definite short term option until we get a quality striker, but by far the best option.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #30: Dec 18, 2014 11:42:01 pm
      His best position is in the number 10 role running and scaring the sh*t out of defenders.
      As others have said he is not a natural goal scorer and will miss as many as he scores, as a short term measure with no Sturridge might be worth continuing.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #31: Dec 18, 2014 11:53:57 pm
      No, he's not clinical enough, no where near. He's a stop gap measure but the final solution is what the first solution was - buy a mobile striker who has clinical finishing.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #32: Dec 19, 2014 12:06:34 am
      No, he's not clinical enough, no where near. He's a stop gap measure but the final solution is what the first solution was - buy a mobile striker who has clinical finishing.

I hate that phrase. Else than that, I agree.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #33: Dec 19, 2014 12:07:40 am
      Not a long term solution, however needs are a must here and we really have no one better in that position so we got to hope Sterling continues to produce good performances up until the new year, at least.

Sterling is better in the deeper position, allowing him to pick the ball and run at defences. Not with his back to the goal.

Plus he isn't particularly clinical, however i am surprised with how well he has done, but he needs to score some PL goals.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #34: Dec 19, 2014 12:09:59 am
      I think BR experimented with a plan B for many reasons. In Europe the gung ho style may see you punished given the quality of each opponent and the stakes involved. We didn't have Suarez and couldn't replace him. To be tactically more versatile and to offer a change from last year so teams don't rumble us. He also likes to learn/borrow form others. I think he leant towards the Mourinho style in our current set up. It didn't work. Whether it was personnel or the mix of free movement and possession with a rigid attack was combining to mess it up I don't know.Whether Brendan can't organise a defence or his ultimate style doesn't make for a good defence once again may be an issue. The use of Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho and now maybe Markovic must be encouraged.If this means no Balotelli or Lambert fine. I don't think sticking Sterling on a CB is the way forward. If we were going to  do that then stick Borini up there, at least if they kick the crap out of him it won't be as bad. I think Sterling is better when he roams and can go left or right or pick a pass. He is great.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #35: Dec 19, 2014 12:15:15 am
      He ends up on his arse too much and when the goal is wide open he fluffs it.  He just can't finish it off.

well he does have several children, so apparently he can finish off quite well actually....
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #36: Dec 19, 2014 12:57:05 am
      He can play anywhere along the front line. Switching him about and having him up top, will do him the world of good, and only bodes well for the future.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #37: Dec 19, 2014 08:29:13 am
      Yes Sterling should absolutely be our main striker until Danny returns. He offers exponentially more of a threat up front than Lambert and Balotelli.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #38: Dec 19, 2014 09:08:20 am
      As said above, he can play any position at the front , I think he is the only one ,apart from sturridge who can make those runs we were used to Luis making,
      So yes till Danny is back he is the better option playing there, and I would consider too playing him along danny when he returns if markovic continue to improve his performances, which he should

YNWA

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #39: Dec 19, 2014 10:18:06 am

well he does have several children, so apparently he can finish off quite well actually....

Who says he hasn't spent enough time in the box?  ???
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #40: Dec 19, 2014 10:43:43 am
      If we aren't promoting Sinclair or any other forward from the u21, then he maybe the temporary solution.

But if anyone is in any doubt about him being our long term forward, watch the highlights from Mold Trafford... You'll see he clearly isn't the answer!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #41: Dec 19, 2014 11:21:56 am
      If we aren't promoting Sinclair or any other forward from the u21, then he maybe the temporary solution.

But if anyone is in any doubt about him being our long term forward, watch the highlights from Mold Trafford... You'll see he clearly isn't the answer!

Why not? He's only 20 and hadn't played as a striker in years. He scored two goals in his second games for us up front. His finishing is only going to get better. Thierry Henry was 24 before he started scoring consistently after being converted from a winger to a striker. Raheem has just as much potential. So why can't Raheen follow suit and become a striker for us long term?
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #42: Dec 19, 2014 11:24:33 am
      I don't think he is the solution.

I think Raheem is at his best when he is within 10-15 yards of Coutinho and like wise Coutinho is at his  best when playing close to Raheem. Both seem to compliment each others play styles perfectly with Raheem offering the movement and Coutinho the clever passes.

A problem that I think exsists in our playstyle is that the distance between the two is too great or when they are in close proximity of each other it is usually tight down one flank.

What i'd like to see is both of them behind a striker as I believe this will give us that creative edge that's been missing. As for who would play in the #9 there are only two real contenders. Lambert has the technique to play there but is seriously lacking in movement. So i'd be playing Borini. His movement is very good and with Coutinho feeding him and Raheem causing mayhem with his pace I think it'd be a decent trio that would be able to trouble any defence in the league.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #43: Dec 19, 2014 11:59:04 am
      He ends up on his arse too much and when the goal is wide open he fluffs it .He just can't finish it off .

You say that, but he playing as a centre forward would also help him become more clinical. I personally think it could help both him and the club.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #44: Dec 19, 2014 12:10:14 pm
      No - I actually think if we had full squad he would benefit from a rest. Hasn't looked anywhere near as dynamic or decisive as last year.

But in answer to the opening hypothesis - no that isn't the solution for me.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #45: Dec 19, 2014 01:33:04 pm
      Not the solution but right now I don't see many other options. He's played two games there and I already have more faith in him than Borini. Lambert just doesn't have the pace to play for us there alone.

Mario sucks so it leaves Raheem.

A front four of Lallana, Markovic, Coutinho and Sterling could work until we get Danny back or another striker.

Quick Reply