Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Sterling as a centre forward the solution?

Read 7784 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Sterling as a centre forward the solution?
      Reply #46: Dec 19, 2014 02:13:01 pm
      F***ing love the boy, he's the only player that even when he's having an off game, scares the sh*t out of the defenders.

I like him up top to be honest. Works hard and super quick.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #47: Dec 20, 2014 03:20:00 am
      maybe a solution but definetly not in the long term
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #48: Dec 20, 2014 08:23:39 am
      Willing to try anything at this point
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #49: Dec 20, 2014 10:14:53 am

well he does have several children, so apparently he can finish off quite well actually....

He has got one little girl.

Edit: he's obviously aware of the rumours though.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/sterling31/status/497082199293067265/photo/1
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2014 10:42:03 am by what-a-hit-son »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #50: Dec 20, 2014 11:45:05 am

Now that's actually quite funny - showing a level of self awareness that often seems to be lacking in footballers.

Nice one kid.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #51: Dec 20, 2014 12:22:45 pm
      I think we could be an exciting outfit next season IF we supplement the weak points in our team during the summer transfer window. The pace we would have in our team would be frightening. Those 5 new players would cost no more than £50m.

Handanovic

Montoya - Schar - Sakho - Moreno

Carvalho

Henderson - Can

Lallana

Sterling - Sturridge - Markovic

Subs: Mignolet, Flanagan, Skrtel, Delph, Coutinho, Ibe, Origi
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #52: Dec 20, 2014 12:45:13 pm
      I think we could be an exciting outfit next season IF we supplement the weak points in our team during the summer transfer window. The pace we would have in our team would be frightening. Those 5 new players would cost no more than £50m.

Handanovic

Montoya - Schar - Sakho - Moreno

Carvalho

Henderson - Can

Lallana

Sterling - Sturridge - Markovic

Subs: Mignolet, Flanagan, Skrtel, Delph, Coutinho, Ibe, Origi
      The only way we'll have 50 million to spend in the summer is if we sell a sh*t load of players, including Sterling!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #53: Dec 20, 2014 01:40:41 pm
      Just a couple of things:

Isn't the thread asking whether Sterling is a decent short term solution? Surely that's what we're talking about? I'm not sure it has been suggested that he is the long term answer in that position are they?

And secondly I think my head might explode if I read again that we would be better off with Borini up there. Has everyone seen Borini play? Just checking
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #54: Dec 20, 2014 05:02:29 pm
      And secondly I think my head might explode if I read again that we would be better off with Borini up there. Has everyone seen Borini play? Just checking

Doesn't matter if he's sh*t or not, his style of play would be good for us. He presses, good movement and can play off the shoulder of the last man. Would offer a lot more than Lambert & Balo put together. It's more about the team than individual skills for me.

Sterling is a monster as a #10, he'll be more involved in the game and with movement up front and players working the channels, it'll open space up for Sterling to attack  as well as giving passing options for our midfielders.

I would love us to try this vs weaker opposition to allow Borini to get match fit. Gradually, I think an understanding will form and we'll see more of a cohesive and fluid game which could possibly revive Sterling, Coutinho, Hendo etc.
      zanwalk
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      Reply #55: Dec 21, 2014 10:00:10 am
      Doesn't matter if he's sh*t or not, his style of play would be good for us. He presses, good movement and can play off the shoulder of the last man. Would offer a lot more than Lambert & Balo put together. It's more about the team than individual skills for me.

Sterling is a monster as a #10, he'll be more involved in the game and with movement up front and players working the channels, it'll open space up for Sterling to attack  as well as giving passing options for our midfielders.

I would love us to try this vs weaker opposition to allow Borini to get match fit. Gradually, I think an understanding will form and we'll see more of a cohesive and fluid game which could possibly revive Sterling, Coutinho, Hendo etc.

Today for instance?  :D

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #56: Dec 21, 2014 12:15:37 pm
      Why not? He's only 20 and hadn't played as a striker in years. He scored two goals in his second games for us up front. His finishing is only going to get better. Thierry Henry was 24 before he started scoring consistently after being converted from a winger to a striker. Raheem has just as much potential. So why can't Raheen follow suit and become a striker for us long term?

+1
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #57: Dec 21, 2014 09:51:48 pm
      The only way we'll have 50 million to spend in the summer is if we sell a sh*t load of players, including Sterling!

Don't think I've seen a post about spending or owners where you haven't chimed in with criticism.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #58: Dec 21, 2014 10:07:42 pm
      Don't think I've seen a post about spending or owners where you haven't chimed in with criticism.

I call it like I see it crouch.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #59: Dec 21, 2014 10:16:13 pm

Over and over and over and over again.

And then again.

We spent a F**k load in the summer and it's all been on muck so far besides Lallana. The committee and Brendan are the reason for any holes in the squad.

Last season we had Sturridge and Suarez knocking them in for fun, today we had Borini and Lambert and a teenage midfielder who had played there twice before in his career.

If we don't spend money in January it's not the owners fault. It's the clowns who scouted for a replacement for Suarez and came back with Balotelli and Lambert as their solutions.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Dec 21, 2014 10:18:10 pm
      After good night vs Bournemouth, found it tough today. Control wasn't up to normal standards and didn't really have a chance. Was better after changes made and he moved back to wing.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #61: Dec 22, 2014 07:20:21 am
      Sterling's not a centre forward in a month of Sundays
      Anyone who thinks he is needs a trip to specsavers.
      Putting the ball in the net is the worst part of his game.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #62: Dec 22, 2014 08:55:39 am
      (Skrtel as centre forward did you say ?)

In all seriousness ..... there was a forum member on here who put the Sterling playing in front of Lallana and Coutinho idea about a month ago as an alternative solution.
      Cant remember who posted it.

This forum seems well read ...
      « Last Edit: Dec 22, 2014 09:15:08 am by eurored »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #63: Dec 22, 2014 10:45:54 am
      We spent a f**k load in the summer and it's all been on muck so far besides Lallana. The committee and Brendan are the reason for any holes in the squad. Last season we had Sturridge and Suarez knocking them in for fun, today we had Borini and Lambert and a teenage midfielder who had played there twice before in his career. If we don't spend money in January it's not the owners fault. It's the clowns who scouted for a replacement for Suarez and came back with Balotelli and Lambert as their solutions.

I agree with the sentiment that the committee and the gaffer need to be held responsible for any transfer failing, chiefly the striker's position. I don't agree that it's all been muck though mate. Lallana, agreed, is looking like a 25m player. Markovic is looking like some prospect too don't you think? Can is the same,  just needs more playing time. Moreno also has shown glimpses of being brilliant, and glimpses of utter disappointment. Lovren, Balo and Borini have been the big disappointments...but I don't know any manager who gets them all, or most, right.

I am interested in your views on Markovic, Can and Moreno though.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #64: Dec 22, 2014 10:48:13 am
      He looks more comfortable playing out wide so i cant wait to get our strikers back in form so Raheem could get back to his natural position.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #65: Dec 22, 2014 11:45:46 am
      I agree with the sentiment that the committee and the gaffer need to be held responsible for any transfer failing, chiefly the striker's position. I don't agree that it's all been muck though mate. Lallana, agreed, is looking like a 25m player. Markovic is looking like some prospect too don't you think? Can is the same,  just needs more playing time. Moreno also has shown glimpses of being brilliant, and glimpses of utter disappointment. Lovren, Balo and Borini have been the big disappointments...but I don't know any manager who gets them all, or most, right.

I am interested in your views on Markovic, Can and Moreno though.

Markovic is promising but still very raw and we spent quite a bit on him. I dont mind that, i like investing in quality young players with huge potential. All reports suggest he struggled mentally early on to deal with being here and hopefully that improves.

Moreno is sh*te. He isnt good enough to be a winger in our system because he hugs the wing and crosses it in. And he is garbage in defence. I dont think you can transform him enough to make him a reliable defender. He got abused by Valencia and it was clear as day what he was doing all game - get it on his right foot and cross it in. Moreno didnt stop one cross and kept letting him get wide. Still early but enough to suggest, in my view, that no one watched him beyond a highlights clip before signing him.

Lovren is complete crap and we mucked away 10x what we got for Agger on him. I watched a lot of Southampton last season and they never really got battered in any game i watched them, enough to see Lovren defend properly. He is utter sh*te.

Can, i have wanted him to play a lot more. Allen and Hendo got their shot and have failed. Time to put faith in this kid who showed so much promise against Chelsea. I dont understand reluctance to play him. He has a bit of class on the ball, energy and built like F**k. But again, we spent a decent bit of money on him and have given him no chance to impress. Thats what irks me. His talent isnt my issue because we havent seen him enough.

Just shits me that we spent over £100m on player acquisitions and Lallana is all we have to show for it. We had to nail it this summer and so far we have failed.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #66: Dec 22, 2014 11:54:37 am
      C
      Markovic is promising but still very raw and we spent quite a bit on him. I dont mind that, i like investing in quality young players with huge potential. All reports suggest he struggled mentally early on to deal with being here and hopefully that improves.

Moreno is sh*te. He isnt good enough to be a winger in our system because he hugs the wing and crosses it in. And he is garbage in defence. I dont think you can transform him enough to make him a reliable defender. He got abused by Valencia and it was clear as day what he was doing all game - get it on his right foot and cross it in. Moreno didnt stop one cross and kept letting him get wide. Still early but enough to suggest, in my view, that no one watched him beyond a highlights clip before signing him.

Lovren is complete crap and we mucked away 10x what we got for Agger on him. I watched a lot of Southampton last season and they never really got battered in any game i watched them, enough to see Lovren defend properly. He is utter sh*te.

Can, i have wanted him to play a lot more. Allen and Hendo got their shot and have failed. Time to put faith in this kid who showed so much promise against Chelsea. I dont understand reluctance to play him. He has a bit of class on the ball, energy and built like f**k. But again, we spent a decent bit of money on him and have given him no chance to impress. Thats what irks me. His talent isnt my issue because we havent seen him enough.

Just shits me that we spent over £100m on player acquisitions and Lallana is all we have to show for it. We had to nail it this summer and so far we have failed.

Completely agree on Lovren, he's wrong footed everyone. He was good last year though, so not sure whether he deserves another chance.
      Moreno, I kind of disagree. I think he's class going forward, but can't defend to save his life. Is that down to youth? Can he learn?
      Markovic and Can will provide excellent value for money. We have needed a big, strong, powerful lad in the middle like Can since Mascha and Hamman were bossing the  midfield.

I think the biggest issue is the sheer amount we've spent. People have expected a lot more for that amount, and I guess they're right. It's a big label for the return we've had so far, and that's the fault of the committee, of which BR is a member. Our scouting has simply not been good enough.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #67: Dec 22, 2014 12:02:10 pm
      Moreno i can see where people come from. His goal vs Tottenham was superb. Hopefully he can show that more often and clean up his game defensively.

However when he said "Liverpool are very strong and tough to score against" in his interview when he signed for the club I'm worried :D fingers crossed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #68: Dec 22, 2014 12:02:58 pm
      C
      Completely agree on Lovren, he's wrong footed everyone. He was good last year though, so not sure whether he deserves another chance.
      Moreno, I kind of disagree. I think he's class going forward, but can't defend to save his life. Is that down to youth? Can he learn?
      Markovic and Can will provide excellent value for money. We have needed a big, strong, powerful lad in the middle like Can since Mascha and Hamman were bossing the  midfield.

I think the biggest issue is the sheer amount we've spent. People have expected a lot more for that amount, and I guess they're right. It's a big label for the return we've had so far, and that's the fault of the committee, of which BR is a member. Our scouting has simply not been good enough.

Agree Can and Markovic will be excellent players.

Moreno is a odd one, he's Young has played for Spain, he's quick so Deffo can improve but as a converted winger will he ever be able to defend like a fullback. I have a feeling he may turn out to be like Glen Johnson.
      Interestingly Rodgers was gushing over Bertrand and Ben Davies in the summer so I wonder if Moreno was another one of those committee buys?

Quick Reply