Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Is it time to turn to the youth?

Read 8138 times
      Sam_95
      Is it time to turn to the youth?
      Dec 18, 2014 08:37:15 pm
      Is it time to give the youth a chance in the team?

We have a number of upcoming and young talents in the reserves and academy that Liverpool could turn to or start to put on the bench. This would give us more options, help with the home grown talent requirement and would also stop us from wasting money!

Jordan Rossiter - "dubbed the new Gerrard", got great potential. Played well when given the chance v Middlesborough and took his goal well. Shows he has great composure. Not seen him since.
      Cameron Brannagan - Barcelona wanted him, why isn't he getting a go in the first team or on the bench?
      Sheyi Ojo - Scoring all the time in the reserves
      Adam Phillips - Young attacking talent, showing great potential
      Harry Wilson - dubbed "the new Gareth Bale". He provides more attacking threat through the middle or down both flanks.
      Ryan Kent - Give us more to think about and provides attacking threat
      Andy Firth - Young goalkeeper that could challenge Migs and Jones
      Ryan Crump - Young goalkeeper that could challenge Migs and Jones
      Lloyd Jones - strong centre back, who reads the game well
      Jerome Sinclair - he will provide and give us options upfront.

Besides the above, there is young talent throughout Europe, below are a few options:

Daley Sinkhaven - Herenveen
      Patrick Roberts - Fulham - Great young prospect, playing week in week out for the cottagers.
      John Souttar - Dundee United - only 17 and a regular in their first team!
      Breel Embolo - Basle - only 17 and came on v LFC
      Harrison Reed - Southampton
      Mason Bennett - Derby
      Georgio Rasulo - MK Dons
      Delle Alli - MK Dons

Thoughts????

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Is it time to turn to the youth?
      Reply #1: Dec 18, 2014 10:10:21 pm
      no. buying kids instead of estd quality is the reason we are utter sh*te.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #2: Dec 18, 2014 10:21:19 pm
      Yes i think we should start using our kids.

Throw them in the deep end!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Dec 18, 2014 10:42:26 pm
      No. I think the likes of Rossiter are another couple of years away. Pity. Himself and Chirivella would solve a lot of problems.
      Sam_95
      Reply #4: Dec 18, 2014 11:04:49 pm
      We had Stephen Sama - the German under 21 captain at the time in the reserves, who must have been good.

But we decided to let him go and spend millions on the defence, so we could have had the answer but we didn't try it out.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Dec 18, 2014 11:10:40 pm
      No. I think the likes of Rossiter are another couple of years away. Pity. Himself and Chirivella would solve a lot of problems.

They need to stick together and be bought up at the same time. We have midfield partnership that would potentially be as good as a Masch & Alonso or Matic & Fabregas!!!

As for youngsters, I don't want to see us buy under 22's for the first team or to sit on the bench. Would rather nurture our kids from the U21s and u18s. End of the day, are the likes of, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Bentaleb, Kane etc that the media w*nk over any better than our Wisdom, Flannagan, Suso & Teixeira? Footballing ability, I think not, only difference is, they have been given an opportunity and run of games.
      Sam_95
      Reply #6: Dec 18, 2014 11:18:25 pm
      They need to stick together and be bought up at the same time. We have midfield partnership that would potentially be as good as a Masch & Alonso or Matic & Fabregas!!!

As for youngsters, I don't want to see us buy under 22's for the first team or to sit on the bench. Would rather nurture our kids from the U21s and u18s. End of the day, are the likes of, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Bentaleb, Kane etc that the media w*nk over any better than our Wisdom, Flannagan, Suso & Teixeira? Footballing ability, I think not, only difference is, they have been given an opportunity and run of games.

Yeah I agree, don't understand how Suso can't get a run in the team? Next season would start to give Ibe and Teixeira a go. Never forget going to watch Jaoa in the Next Gen series at Anfield where sporting beat us 0-3 - he scored and ran the show. We signed him a few months later and he has been stuck ever since in the reserves and out on loan?

Bring back Ilori his team mate, from Bordeux and put him in defence next season?
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #7: Dec 19, 2014 12:08:25 am
      No!
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #8: Dec 19, 2014 09:40:18 am
      We had Stephen Sama - the German under 21 captain at the time in the reserves, who must have been good.

But we decided to let him go and spend millions on the defence, so we could have had the answer but we didn't try it out.

He must not have been very good. We do actually try out our good players. Also he never even appeared for Germany U21's let alone captain them.
      As for those listed; Kent, Phillips, Ojo, Wilson, Rossiter and Sinclair all have a decent chance of making it here (I'd bet on atleast 2 of them getting more than 10 league starts), but none of them are ready yet, except perhaps for sinclair who might offer something off the bench.
      Ironically, I personally believe Sinclair is not the most talented, but he is the most physically developed and our need for a striker is quite pressing.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: Dec 19, 2014 09:50:43 am
      No.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #10: Dec 19, 2014 10:23:17 am
      Yes. Been calling for this for weeks!

I'm not saying a keeper or defender should get the shout howver, as they are positions where mistakes are heavily punished. But up front we are and have been weak all season.

At the very least Sinclair or Ojo would provide pace upfront, which is something Lambert and Mario can't and haven't done as yet. Plus there are scoring in their the u21s so they are full of confidence.

They wouldn't start, but bringing on a rapid teenager with 20/25 mins to go would worry most defences in the division.

It's a total no brainier for me!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Dec 19, 2014 10:56:02 am

Sorry to burst your bubble but Sama was never good enough. His discipline was also quite poor. I must have watched 3 or 4 games where he got 2 yellows and was sent off, most were avoidable situations.

The last thing we need at the moment is bedding in new kids from the academy. That should happen when we get ourselves into a sound position in the league. We also still haven't seen a lot of most of our summer signings yet.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Dec 19, 2014 11:14:35 am
      It is time to turn to quality. If any of those kids are good enough, give them a chance. I rarely get the chance to watch the kids though so I can't say.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Dec 19, 2014 02:22:02 pm
      I appreciate the sentiment behind your post Sam but before I answer your question, I'll need a bit more from you...

The 'kids' you mention: who would you start them instead of?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Dec 19, 2014 02:56:46 pm
      Yeah I agree, don't understand how Suso can't get a run in the team? Next season would start to give Ibe and Teixeira a go. Never forget going to watch Jaoa in the Next Gen series at Anfield where sporting beat us 0-3 - he scored and ran the show. We signed him a few months later and he has been stuck ever since in the reserves and out on loan?

I remember that first gen game too, by far the best player on the pitch!!! At Brighton, he's showing exactly why he was touted as the new Deco!!! Also, he's a late bloomer due to a spinal problem or something when he joined that's why it's taken him this long to play first team football?

As for Suso, the only explanation is that Rodgers doesn't fancy him and most likely leaving in Jan or Summer :(

Bring back Ilori his team mate, from Bordeux and put him in defence next season?

Watch YT vids of his playing time for Bordeaux, he has been terrible and makes a lot of mistakes. I think maybe that's why he's not getting into the starting 11. I'd keep him as 4th choice. Would take a gamble on Lovren and Sakho partnership!

Sam_95
      Reply #15: Dec 19, 2014 06:11:58 pm
      Yes. Been calling for this for weeks!

I'm not saying a keeper or defender should get the shout howver, as they are positions where mistakes are heavily punished. But up front we are and have been weak all season.

At the very least Sinclair or Ojo would provide pace upfront, which is something Lambert and Mario can't and haven't done as yet. Plus there are scoring in their the u21s so they are full of confidence.

They wouldn't start, but bringing on a rapid teenager with 20/25 mins to go would worry most defences in the division.

It's a total no brainier for me!

Get Jordan Ibe back from Derby, as it time for him to step up to the plate!
      Sam_95
      Reply #16: Dec 19, 2014 06:15:24 pm
      I remember that first gen game too, by far the best player on the pitch!!! At Brighton, he's showing exactly why he was touted as the new Deco!!! Also, he's a late bloomer due to a spinal problem or something when he joined that's why it's taken him this long to play first team football?

As for Suso, the only explanation is that Rodgers doesn't fancy him and most likely leaving in Jan or Summer :(

Watch YT vids of his playing time for Bordeaux, he has been terrible and makes a lot of mistakes. I think maybe that's why he's not getting into the starting 11. I'd keep him as 4th choice. Would take a gamble on Lovren and Sakho partnership!

Yeah maybe, I think Sakho needs to be given more of a go aswell. I like Suso he is quality, he just needs a run of games, when Brendan first came in he gave Suso a good run with Sterling upfront and then we didn't see him again.
      Sam_95
      Reply #17: Dec 19, 2014 06:18:42 pm
      It is time to turn to quality. If any of those kids are good enough, give them a chance. I rarely get the chance to watch the kids though so I can't say.

There is quite a few - those which I have named above, who just need to be given a go. Putting them all in at once wouldn't be a good idea, but putting the likes of Rossiter in next to Gerrard for example wouldn't be a bad idea, as it will help him and the other players gel
      Sam_95
      Reply #18: Dec 19, 2014 06:27:03 pm
      He must not have been very good. We do actually try out our good players. Also he never even appeared for Germany U21's let alone captain them.
      As for those listed; Kent, Phillips, Ojo, Wilson, Rossiter and Sinclair all have a decent chance of making it here (I'd bet on atleast 2 of them getting more than 10 league starts), but none of them are ready yet, except perhaps for sinclair who might offer something off the bench.
      Ironically, I personally believe Sinclair is not the most talented, but he is the most physically developed and our need for a striker is quite pressing.

Apologies, I thought he was the captain at some point. However, my point still stands if you don't try the talent brought in, we will never know If we have a winner or not. So whats the point in bringing them if we don't try them?
      Sam_95
      Reply #19: Dec 19, 2014 06:29:22 pm
      I appreciate the sentiment behind your post Sam but before I answer your question, I'll need a bit more from you...

The 'kids' you mention: who would you start them instead of?

I wouldn't start them ahead of anyone, but introduce 1 or 2 each game, if the results were going ok, 15 minutes before the end. This way they are eased in and if they do enough then the manager will give them the starts and he will choose who they replace.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Dec 19, 2014 09:44:30 pm
      I wouldn't start them ahead of anyone, but introduce 1 or 2 each game, if the results were going ok, 15 minutes before the end. This way they are eased in and if they do enough then the manager will give them the starts and he will choose who they replace.
      So not as much turning to them: more giving a couple of them a few minutes if we are winning.

Aye... fair enough... that makes a bit more sense than actually relying on them.

If we do that, from here on in: who's place on the bench would they take, in your opinion?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Dec 19, 2014 09:45:50 pm
      Could turn to the youth we have paid a sh*t load of money for had we not decided to loan them out.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #22: Dec 19, 2014 11:29:57 pm
      Apologies, I thought he was the captain at some point. However, my point still stands if you don't try the talent brought in, we will never know If we have a winner or not. So whats the point in bringing them if we don't try them?

Because, whilst we the fans won't really know, a lot of these talented youngsters train from time to time with the first team squad. Brendan will know if and when they are ready. He doesn't need to play them yet if he can see they clearly aren't. And hell, I can tell from watching the youth games that, while having great potential, they aren't that close to ready yet. Maybe later in the year.

Quick Reply