Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Is it time to turn to the youth?

Read 8097 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: Is it time to turn to the youth?
      Reply #23: Dec 19, 2014 11:32:06 pm
      Also, all our good talents bar Sinclair, are in positions we are well stocked, or require a developed physique. We have an excellent crop of talented attacking midfielders in the academy. This is position we are well catered for.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #24: Dec 20, 2014 12:02:41 am
      You know what's sh*t. We've great youth, but instead using them, we're buying more. The next 5 years Moreno, Manquillo, Llori, Origi, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and Can might be 1st choices. And F**k knows how many youngsters we'll buy in the next 5 years too!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #25: Dec 20, 2014 01:03:26 am
      No because the way our season is going so far, introducing any of these young players is an unspoken suggestion that they are being looked to as the saviour of our season. They need chance to develop their talent without that sort of pressure being applied. It's the same reason we wouldn't recall Origi back from loan, even if we had the option to do so. For better or for worse we have a team of senior players and we have to work through our issues with them. Grasping at straws isn't going to solve our problems.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #26: Dec 20, 2014 01:58:34 am
      No because the way our season is going so far, introducing any of these young players is an unspoken suggestion that they are being looked to as the saviour of our season. They need chance to develop their talent without that sort of pressure being applied. It's the same reason we wouldn't recall Origi back from loan, even if we had the option to do so. For better or for worse we have a team of senior players and we have to work through our issues with them. Grasping at straws isn't going to solve our problems.

Now that is the most sensible on the subject I've read on here. Good stuff.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #27: Dec 20, 2014 03:09:45 am
      hey look here,every F***ing club in the world needs to turn to the youth players from their own academy
      that way we would have much more interesting football in the lower ranked leagues
      any way,liverpools turning to their own youth players wouldnt harm us at all
      Sam_95
      Reply #28: Dec 20, 2014 06:01:49 pm
      So not as much turning to them: more giving a couple of them a few minutes if we are winning.

Aye... fair enough... that makes a bit more sense than actually relying on them.

If we do that, from here on in: who's place on the bench would they take, in your opinion?

Depends on the players, but in my opinion - Ojo (Markovic), Sinclair (Lambert), Firth/Crump (Jones)
      Sam_95
      Reply #29: Dec 20, 2014 06:03:14 pm
      Could turn to the youth we have paid a sh*t load of money for had we not decided to loan them out.

Last 15 minutes wouldn't do them any harm.
      Sam_95
      Reply #30: Dec 20, 2014 06:05:56 pm
      hey look here,every f**king club in the world needs to turn to the youth players from their own academy
      that way we would have much more interesting football in the lower ranked leagues
      any way,liverpools turning to their own youth players wouldnt harm us at all

Agree, the lower leagues would be even better. We would be able to target players in the championship more and look at the lower leagues, like everybody did till foreign managers came in
      Sam_95
      Reply #31: Dec 20, 2014 06:12:09 pm

Just think if we gave them the last 15 minutes, it would help them develop further
      Sam_95
      Reply #32: Dec 20, 2014 06:14:20 pm

Just need to give them a chance, by giving them 15 minutes towards the end of a match wouldn't do any harm
      Sam_95
      Reply #33: Dec 20, 2014 06:16:17 pm
      You know what's sh*t. We've great youth, but instead using them, we're buying more. The next 5 years Moreno, Manquillo, Llori, Origi, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and Can might be 1st choices. And f**k knows how many youngsters we'll buy in the next 5 years too!

Yeah we will just be more for "the future" instead of giving the academy projects a go.
      Sam_95
      Reply #34: Dec 20, 2014 06:19:48 pm
      Could turn to the youth we have paid a sh*t load of money for had we not decided to loan them out.

I agree, hope to get Origi back in Jan - we should pay the 6 mill to get him back, need Ibe, Teixieria and IIori back as well though
      Sam_95
      Reply #35: Dec 20, 2014 06:22:01 pm
      Because, whilst we the fans won't really know, a lot of these talented youngsters train from time to time with the first team squad. Brendan will know if and when they are ready. He doesn't need to play them yet if he can see they clearly aren't. And hell, I can tell from watching the youth games that, while having great potential, they aren't that close to ready yet. Maybe later in the year.

Yeah, when we are out of the Europa League that when we will probably start to give them a go
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #36: Dec 20, 2014 06:27:28 pm
      Depends on the players, but in my opinion - Ojo (Markovic), Sinclair (Lambert), Firth/Crump (Jones)

Fair enough Sam, if that's how you read it but how do we work it that Rossiter plays alongside Gerrard, for example?

Like I said earlier; I fully appreciate the sentiment, especially as I now know you didn't really mean that we should turn to the youth [as a solution] but merely blood them with a few minutes here and there but it's easier said than done (as you can see).

And with the pressure on to get results - I'm just not sure that's the right environment for them to develop, that's all.

Been nice chatting tho' - welcome to the forum btw.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #37: Dec 20, 2014 10:24:01 pm
      Yeah, when we are out of the Europa League that when we will probably start to give them a go

I wouldn't mind seeing a few in the Europa League tbh.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #38: Dec 21, 2014 01:47:59 am

I want us to take that competition serious. I want CL next season!!!
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #39: Dec 21, 2014 01:49:26 am
      It would be unwise to throw them in at the deep end considering our problems at the moment, but yes - youth is undoubtedly the way and the manager should start phasing in some of the lads, putting them into the match day squads to start off with.

But noy buying very expensive youth, instead nurturing youth from the academy.

Besides, youth players brought through the age levels are primed to play for the club having trained the tactical systems employed by the first team manager. That means they are well adaptable to the first team. In addition to this, the youth who have come through the ranks are usually more understanding of the culture of Liverpool FC, giving them added determination and belief. God knows that's what we need right now.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #40: Dec 21, 2014 02:11:07 am
      It would be unwise to throw them in at the deep end considering our problems at the moment, but yes - youth is undoubtedly the way and the manager should start phasing in some of the lads, putting them into the match day squads to start off with.

Besides, youth players brought through the age levels are primed to play for the club having trained the tactical systems employed by the first team manager. That means they are well adaptable to the first team. In addition to this, the youth who have come through the ranks are usually more understanding of the culture of Liverpool FC, giving them added determination and belief. God knows that's what we need right now.

Absolutely right. We spend so much time investing in our youth only to throw them out in the gutter without any opportunities, spending millions on other young players for them to sit on the bench and play first team football and essentially, taking up our Academy player's spot, why?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #41: Dec 21, 2014 10:03:12 am
      We spend so much time investing in our youth only to throw them out in the gutter without any opportunities, spending millions on other young players for them to sit on the bench and play first team football and essentially, taking up our Academy player's spot, why?
      Why indeed P_M...

Surely the pragmatist would be thinking - 'Given that we don't have mega rich owners, who are prepared to spend their own money: instead of buying three, four, five, players with potential [when I already have so many], I'll use that money to add strength in depth now.'

If... if "the pragmatist" was allowed to deviate from Company policy, of course.  ;)

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #42: Dec 21, 2014 11:01:24 am
      in my opinion, if the youngsters are not going to be blooded occasionally through the season, how will they ever get a chance.
      I can only remember B.R. putting youngsters on the bench on two occasions,(may be wrong) and never used them. If they aren't going to get used, but shipped out to the lower leagues, why have an academy. Just as well keep the money and buy top drawer players all the time. Not something I personally would want to see, but the economics don't stack up, if you invest millions in coaching youngsters, then cast them aside.
      We are all aware that most don't make it to the lop level, but you will never know how they might adapt if they don't get a chance.
      Better players might not be able to cope with the pressure, where as slightly lesser players may take the situation by storm.
      Sam_95
      Reply #43: Dec 21, 2014 12:41:20 pm
      Fair enough Sam, if that's how you read it but how do we work it that Rossiter plays alongside Gerrard, for example?

Like I said earlier; I fully appreciate the sentiment, especially as I now know you didn't really mean that we should turn to the youth [as a solution] but merely blood them with a few minutes here and there but it's easier said than done (as you can see).

And with the pressure on to get results - I'm just not sure that's the right environment for them to develop, that's all.

Been nice chatting tho' - welcome to the forum btw.

Its far easy to put the youth than people think as they clearly have talent but also play with no fear. They don't have the expectation of a big price tag as well around there shoulders.

Off to the game to cheer the lads on for a win, hopefully - YNWA
      Sam_95
      Reply #44: Dec 21, 2014 12:42:00 pm

Agree, why not?
      Sam_95
      Reply #45: Dec 21, 2014 12:43:59 pm

Agree 100%

Quick Reply