Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fabian Delph (Aston Villa)

Read 14164 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Fabian Delph (Aston Villa)
      Dec 20, 2014 02:54:36 am
      A lot of sources linking us to Aston Villa's Fabian Delph and he's been discussed in other threads, but I thought it was better to create a specific one for the guy.

The most recent rumour I got is that we'll probably target him for the summer when his contract expires, but not now in January.

Fabian Delph Bid to Come in Summer, not January
      Liverpool are the favourites in the Fabian Delph sweepstakes, but according to the Daily Mail's David Kent, the Aston Villa man won't be moving to Anfield before the end of this season.

He believes Rodgers won't be granted much of a budget to work with in January and instead will be forced to seek out loan deals:

"Brendan Rodgers is unlikely to be given money to spend to boost his Liverpool squad in January - putting paid to his hopes of signing Fabian Delph.

Liverpool remain in the mix for the Villa midfielder, with Tottenham also in the frame, but any deal will be a free transfer in the summer.

Rodgers still wants a new goalkeeper and a striker to turn his side's dismal season around, but is most likely to dip into the loan market."

Delph's contract runs out at the end of the season, so teams will be able to approach the 25-year-old with a pre-contract in January.

Villa once again face a battle to avoid relegation to the Championship, and with Delph's contract running out in the summer, the club will know all too well offers for his services likely won't meet their demands in January.

It makes sense not to move him for a minimal fee and instead use his production over the course of the next few months. Unless Tottenham make a power play in January, a move to Anfield in the summer seems a likely scenario.

More here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2305526-liverpool-transfer-rumours-latest-on-divock-origi-fabian-delph
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Fabian Delph (Aston Villa)
      Reply #1: Dec 20, 2014 04:06:54 am
      Delph isn't good enough in principle for our club.

But the harsh reality is that he's no worse than Henderson.

so if Henderson is good enough then so is Delph.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Dec 20, 2014 10:32:47 am
      The new Nigel Reo-Coker !
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Dec 20, 2014 10:52:26 am
      But the harsh reality is that he's no worse than Henderson.

No worse than Henderson as in "Remy Cabella better than Lallana" or are you serious this time?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: Dec 20, 2014 11:57:06 am
      But... is he better than Diame? That's the real question.  ???
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #5: Dec 20, 2014 12:00:13 pm
      Delph is alright. Decent acquisition on a free anyway.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Dec 20, 2014 12:04:08 pm
      If this is the subject of our ambition, shoot me now.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: Dec 20, 2014 12:19:51 pm
      He'd be a good squad player and he offers a good engine too. Definitely an upgrade on Joe Allen for me and would also take a load of Stevie G's shoulders too.

He'd be a good capture on a free next summer.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Dec 20, 2014 01:13:03 pm
      No.

If Delph signs for the club for a free even as back up its a bad sign of where we're at. He's at his level.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #9: Dec 20, 2014 01:48:18 pm

At least Delph has played well for Villa. Reo-Coker was sh*te from the get-go.

Delph on a free isn't a bad deal if we had a team brimming with top class players then someone like Delph would be a useful squad player ala Milner at Citeh or Ramires at the "Big Club". But he wouldn't be a priority signing we should be looking at quality not another squad player.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Dec 20, 2014 02:24:48 pm
      I think we have enough squad players at the moment. A huge chunk of our summer business was to add depth. Our focus should only be for guys who will start.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11: Dec 20, 2014 08:23:59 pm
      No worse than Henderson as in "Remy Cabella better than Lallana" or are you serious this time?

I'm not quite sure what your point is.  I don't think that Lallana is by any means a bad player.  But he's hardly set the world alight.  A couple of good performances, a goal here or there.  I think he's definitely the most "successful" of the summer transfers, although that isn't really saying much.

And yes, I think Cabella is better than Lallana.  have you actually seen Cabella play?  he's a very good player.  At the very least, if you put Cabella into our XI, he wouldn't do any WORSE than Lallana.  Again that's no dig at Lallana necessarily, as I don't think he's been terrible.  but yes I think Cabella is better.  Would've cost a quarter of Lallana's fee at that.

Anyway yes Delph is no worse than Henderson.

some people need to take the rose-tinted glasses off.  Get behind the players at the matches sure, but if you are so blind that you would rather we keep poor players instead of bringing in better ones then indeed you don't really want what is best for the club.

Delph is no worse than Henderson.  but that's not to say Delph is good enough; I don't think either is good enough for our club to be honest.  But if Henderson and his sideways/backward passing is suddenly an acceptable standard then surely Delph can't be scoffed at.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: Dec 20, 2014 11:18:21 pm
      Delph is no worse than Henderson.  but that's not to say Delph is good enough; I don't think either is good enough for our club to be honest.  But if Henderson and his sideways/backward passing is suddenly an acceptable standard then surely Delph can't be scoffed at.

I'll bite and Scoff, basically any players we bring in should be a massive upgrade on the player they will be replacing in the starting XI/Squad.

Will Delph be a massive upgrade on any of the midfielders we already have ?

I don't believe so, we'd just be possibly swapping a player for some one who's no better/not that much better than we've got.

Pointless exercise, we've bulked up the squad, if we want to improve it then we need to be looking at much better targets than Delph and also better targets than any one who is currently in our squad.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #13: Dec 20, 2014 11:49:50 pm
      if we want to improve it then we need to be looking at much better targets than Delph and also better targets than any one who is currently in our squad.

that's spot on.  We can and should be doing much better than Henderson and Delph.  Buying Delph would just be moving laterally; we already have an average box-to-box midfielder in Henderson, we don't need another in Delph.

we should be moving heaven and earth to bring in players like Pogba, Cabaye, etc.  Even Khedira would be a huge improvement at DM and he's on a free next summer.  but we've learned from the Ochoa business that even free is too expensive for FSG.

as a sidenote, the summer we bought Henderson for £16m, Newcastle bought Cabaye, for.... £5m.

yes, you read that right. 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Dec 21, 2014 01:36:30 am
      that's spot on.  We can and should be doing much better than Henderson and Delph.  Buying Delph would just be moving laterally; we already have an average box-to-box midfielder in Henderson, we don't need another in Delph.

we should be moving heaven and earth to bring in players like Pogba, Cabaye, etc.  Even Khedira would be a huge improvement at DM and he's on a free next summer.  but we've learned from the Ochoa business that even free is too expensive for FSG.

as a sidenote, the summer we bought Henderson for £16m, Newcastle bought Cabaye, for.... £5m.

yes, you read that right. 

I can not disagree with this, however, I don't think we're an attraction to the exceptional - world class players playing at big club clubs (Pogba, Khedira, Cabaye etc). We should look at the stand out players from the weaker teams, you know, players like Schneiderlin, R.Rodriguez, Firmino etc etc.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #15: Dec 21, 2014 01:44:24 am
      I can not disagree with this, however, I don't think we're an attraction to the exceptional - world class players playing at big club clubs (Pogba, Khedira, Cabaye etc).

Cabaye went to Newcastle in the summer of 2011, the same summer we bought Henderson for three times what Newcastle paid for Cabaye.

Newcastle had finished 12th in the league the previous season; we had finished 6th.

you're saying that we can't attract exceptional players, but Newcastle can?

Do you really think if we had bid for Cabaye that summer, he would have gone to Newcastle instead of us, one of the biggest clubs in world football?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16: Dec 21, 2014 02:01:50 am
      I can not disagree with this, however, I don't think we're an attraction to the exceptional - world class players playing at big club clubs (Pogba, Khedira, Cabaye etc).

Talking about the present Cabaye :)

Cabaye went to Newcastle in the summer of 2011, the same summer we bought Henderson for three times what Newcastle paid for Cabaye.

Newcastle had finished 12th in the league the previous season; we had finished 6th.

you're saying that we can't attract exceptional players, but Newcastle can?

Do you really think if we had bid for Cabaye that summer, he would have gone to Newcastle instead of us, one of the biggest clubs in world football?

Cabaye wasn't playing for a renowned Club in the CL when he left for Newcastle? Was he considered a stand out player at Lille? I'm sure he would've joined us back then if we bidded for him.

I just feel it would be wiser for us to look at stand out players at smaller clubs (Cabaye of 2011 at Lille) than wasting our time and trying to get players like, Isco, Pogba, Verratti etc.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #17: Dec 21, 2014 04:38:25 am
      Cabaye might fancy another crack in the premier league, where he is a respected and proven performer, in preference to continuing to warm the bench for PSG. He'd also get European football (don't think he's cup tied?) where he would be a huge asset for us if we are taking the Europa league seriously?

I think he is a realistic target and would certainly improve not only the squad but the starting team also. Hopefully the committee are all over this one!
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #18: Dec 21, 2014 08:12:03 am
      Talking about the present Cabaye :)

Cabaye wasn't playing for a renowned Club in the CL when he left for Newcastle? Was he considered a stand out player at Lille? I'm sure he would've joined us back then if we bidded for him.

I just feel it would be wiser for us to look at stand out players at smaller clubs (Cabaye of 2011 at Lille) than wasting our time and trying to get players like, Isco, Pogba, Verratti etc.
      Isn't that we are doing anyway?
      Lovren,Lallana,Adam,Downing,Carrol etc?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #19: Dec 21, 2014 08:14:00 am
      Is thought we'd long got past the stage of buying to fill out the squad and that is exactly what this would signal to me.

No better then what we have.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Dec 21, 2014 12:38:22 pm
      I thought we'd long got past the stage of buying to fill out the squad
      So did I Si; so did I.

In May I was heartened when I read what Brendan's plans were for the Summer [probably because it echoed what I'd been saying, if I'm being honest].

"I don't want to put a figure on how many but I would rather have one or two absolute top players than seven that might not help us"...

... He continued: "It's about the quality. We can't be going into the Champions League this year with doubts about players. We have to be going in knowing what the players' capacity to play is and their capabilities."

Where or how that went wrong F**k knows [we all have our theories] but wrong it went. If we are to sign anyone in January (which I doubt) all I would ask is that we don't compound previous clusterfucks by making the same mistakes.

Making clusterfuck, after clusterfuck, since we abandoned the DoF model in favour of "prudent", "clever",  "never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages", policy and the Committee is insane.

"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results."
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #21: Dec 21, 2014 01:17:42 pm
      Isn't that we are doing anyway?
      Lovren,Lallana,Adam,Downing,Carrol etc?

I don't know, have we ? If so, we haven't done this properly and with a lack of research/scouting.  I think Lallana is the only real standout signing since Suarez, and he wasn't even needed, same with Lovren, another player we did not need.

Anyway, I wouldn't want us to sign Delph, he's a player that would probably warm the bench if we sign the right midfielders in the summer, so why not give that spot to a youth?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #22: Dec 21, 2014 01:35:35 pm
      This is a strange one because at 25 he can't be consider 'one for the future' but nor is he an established player because he hasn't even made 100 appearances for Villa in his almost six years at the club. Even if we don't finish in the top four, is our committee seriously suggesting this is the best we can do?

Quick Reply