Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Jones
      0 (0%)
      K Touré
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      10 (10.1%)
      Sakho
      3 (3%)
      Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Lucas
      7 (7.1%)
      Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Markovic
      14 (14.1%)
      Coutinho
      49 (49.5%)
      Sterling
      2 (2%)
      Lallana
      13 (13.1%)
      Borini
      1 (1%)
      Lambert
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Liverpool 2:2 Arsenal, In game & post match phew.

Read 19818 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Re: Liverpool 2:2 Arsenal, In game & post match phew.
      Reply #460: Dec 21, 2014 09:26:44 pm
      I could only listen to the game on the radio again. From what I heard, we should have had at least 4 by half time, and another 3 or 4 second half.
      How can we dominate so much and then go behind FFS. Reading the last couple of pages on here, sounds like it was poor finishing, and poor defending.  It's clear that whatever the underlying problems are at the back, nothing is improving regardless of the personnel, or formation. Has to be a tactical thing which the players need to sort out between themselves.
      The poor finishing is obviously down to not having a recognised striker starting.
      Apart from that, it sounds like a big improvement, even though it was a weakened Arsenal side.
      Can't wait for motd to see whats what but just glad we got the draw more than anything.
      Well done to the lads for continuing to battle on. Glimmer of hope, need to take this into the next 3 fixtures and push on.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #461: Dec 21, 2014 09:39:53 pm
      Disappointed not to win that considering over the course of the game we were the better team. However, our toothless-ness in the final third, and failure to defend the high ball again meant we ended up with a share of the points.

The dynamic has changed moving Sterling upfront rather than persisting with Balotelli and or Lambert and the fluidity in play looks much better for it. We're still not carving enough chances for my liking and when we do, players like Markovic (who I thought was pretty ordinary today), Coutinho (yes I know he scored but that was only his second goal in the league this season), Lallana and even Henderson often fail to separate the teams with goal. They need to contribute more collectively, whether Sturridge is injured or not.

I don't think Arsenal ever got to grips with our formation, add to that the possession we had and it's just a shame we didn't take all three points.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #462: Dec 21, 2014 09:40:45 pm
      Some game today. Lost a fair chunk of hair. Thought we played well, dominated in the main, should've gone in 1 up, but lost 3 headers at a set piece to go in all square :( Disappointing goal that they scored for their second, too easy, but gutsy from Martin to score a great header to level it.

Positives
      The formation, though not significantly more solid at the back, we're creating more chances.
      Our general play has improved a bit, not hugely but heading in right direction.
      Coutinho/Lallana/Sterling interplay improving - pity we need to have Raheem up front, best position is on the wing.
      Markovic's play has improved, and Sahko is doing well enough to hold down a place.

Negatives
      Again, shot hit straight at Jones not saved. Weak stopper ... BR?!?!
      Couldn't make head or tail of the substitutions today, Lucas faded badly, should've gone off. Probably wouldn't have taken off Markovic though he was also fading a bit and though better going forward than Hendo is weaker defensively.
      Strikers. Borini - what is there to say - sped around like a headless chicken for a while then got himself sent off. Sooner we jettison the twit the better. Why even bring him on BR?!?!  Lambert, again offered nothing.
      Not great from SG - some really poor set pieces (corner straight out?!?) and poor shot choices.

On the day, Coutinho was my MOTM. Some duff shots and passes, but always positive on the ball, got his goal, looked like he could've got more, the lad is a super little player, takes responsibilty, doesn't shirk.
      Re. motm ...  Markovic could take a dump on the pitch and people would still voting him motm. The lad is definitely improving but saying he's motm in every game, even when played 10 min and gets sent off, can't take his vote seriously.

In general think BR will be happy enough. Limping to the Jan window, but if we can sign a striker or two, should be able to convert more of the chances we are creating. Well, that's the hope...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #463: Dec 21, 2014 09:49:40 pm
      A terrifically disappointing morning. I told my dad at half time, the only thing missing from today compared to the fixture last season was four goals and a clean sheet.

We completely battered them. They're a soft cored side and with Lucas and Stevie in the middle, and a workhorse in Lallana it was comfortable for us. Haven't seen Sanchez that quiet in a game since he arrived.

Again defending is extremely poor. Skrtel, granted got us the point, is a very poor defender. He shouldn't be the central defender. If he has to play, stick him on the right with Kolo in the middle. Every time the ball is in the air, Skrtel finds a way to F**k it up either by not communicating or missing it.

At least we are seeing our team play again. There's purpose to our play. The only thing missing is a striker.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #464: Dec 21, 2014 09:58:17 pm
      The only thing missing is a striker.
      And a decent keeper
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #465: Dec 21, 2014 10:03:04 pm

And four defenders to start week in, week out.

But I read a stat in our past three league games, we have had 61 shots for 2 goals. I haven't double checked but that's insane if true.

We couldn't defend last season either but a striker knocking in our chances makes us feared again. We'd have 7 points more than we do now from those three games.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #466: Dec 21, 2014 10:11:06 pm
      And four defenders to start week in, week out.

But I read a stat in our past three league games, we have had 61 shots for 2 goals. I haven't double checked but that's insane if true.

We couldn't defend last season either but a striker knocking in our chances makes us feared again. We'd have 7 points more than we do now from those three games.

From BBC

vs Arsenal 27
      vs Bournemouth 16
      vs M.Utd 19
      vs Basel 16
      vs Sunderland 15

3 EPL games 61
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,533 posts | 722 
      Reply #467: Dec 21, 2014 10:11:44 pm
      we've played a lot better, but we still conceded 6 goals in 3 games with this formation.

that being said we played really well and created loads of chances.

not convinced about 3 at the back still.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #468: Dec 21, 2014 10:20:34 pm
      From BBC

vs Arsenal 27
      vs Bournemouth 16
      vs M.Utd 19
      vs Basel 16
      vs Sunderland 15

3 EPL games 61

Thanks mate. So it's true.

January = striker hunt.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #469: Dec 21, 2014 10:25:51 pm
      Thanks mate. So it's true.

January = striker hunt.

Hopefully that has been started, and sorted.

But an under 8 year old team could have the very same stats.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #470: Dec 21, 2014 10:29:02 pm
      https://vine.co/v/OXrnAziBi3Z

CHRISTMAS IS ABANDONED!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #471: Dec 21, 2014 10:35:46 pm
      Back from the game.

Best I've seen us play in a while this season. Shoddy at set pieces still.
      We were the much better team today and the only reason they gogoa result is because they converted their chances; something we need to improve on.

Thought Lazar played very well but disappeared a bit in the second half and was subbed at the right time.
      Borini needs to control his temper a bit but I felt like he was at least showing some passion/desire/fight, something we have been missing although he didn't add much in his time on the pitch today. I reckon he will end up being shipped out but I think he deserves a shot at the starting 11 at least to see what he can offer.
      Coutinho was a beast all game, at the centre of everything and linked up well with everyone.

There was acres of room on the right wing all game but we refused to exploit it.

Got worried when we went to a 2 at the back/makeshift 3, but it led us to our equaliser and thouroughly deserved for Skrtel. Lucas had a great game too and was unlucky not to bag a goal, but he had a tremendous passing game today.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #472: Dec 21, 2014 10:40:27 pm
      BR - Instead of looking like a tactical genius in making the right substitution decisions, I would much rather he just gets them right with the starting 11.

Too much to ask?

What are you talking about?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #473: Dec 21, 2014 11:02:32 pm
      BR - Instead of looking like a tactical genius in making the right substitution decisions, I would much rather he just gets them right with the starting 11.

Too much to ask?

Is it too much to ask that you celebrate a F***ing win?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #474: Dec 21, 2014 11:03:43 pm
      What a game, that's all I can say. Absolutely dominated them in the first half, and large chunks of the second half. Our passing game, and the midfield fluidityis slowly coming back I feel. Imagine the damage we would have done had we Studge fit and firing?

Thought Llalana and Coutinho were superb today, it's clear they compliment each other, despite a lot of people saying they're too similar. Sterling was well marked, but that just created chances for others, and I think Couts should have had another.

I thought BR got the tactics spot on. I agree with ratboy's brother's assesment on MOTD2, the way we had two deep-lying midfielders, two AMs and two wingers meant we simply had the midfield by the balls. Thought Can should have come on once Stevie started tiring, but can't complain about the line up and tactics.

Two entirely avoidable goals as per usual. I have absolutely no idea what that f***ing ginormous turd Wenger is talking about when he says he thinks they should have won. They didn't deserve a single point and got away with it.

After the horrendous few months, I can feel confidence coming back. I was particularly happy with the amount of passion and fight the players have started to show, as well as the confidence. Llalana ran all day, Couts' reaction to scoring, Sterling's reaction to his goals against Bournemouth, Markovic getting his arse into gear...things are genuinely looking up. We are nowehere near where I thinkthis team can get to, but far more positives than negatives. I'm only ever happy with a win for us, but Iam genuinely proud of the players' response in the past week given the torrid time they've had.

Studge back and fit, get a new keeper and even another big striker, we can still make Champ's league, I really believe that.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #475: Dec 21, 2014 11:19:15 pm
      Is it mathematically impossible ?

That's a bit negative :(

We're 9 points behind those giants West Ham in 4th, with 21 games to go. Looking at teams around us, if we get our arse into gear in the second half of the season, There's absolutely no reason why we can't make it.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #476: Dec 21, 2014 11:47:16 pm
      That's a bit negative :(

We're 9 points behind those giants West Ham in 4th, with 21 games to go. Looking at teams around us, if we get our arse into gear in the second half of the season, There's absolutely no reason why we can't make it.

Agreed. We've left it late, but play like we did today, with a little less bullshit happening at the back and a little more edge in putting the great chances we make away, and I think we can do it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #477: Dec 22, 2014 12:09:48 am
      If we get a good keeper in, or at least migs, sort out the defence, and get some Strikers then 4th is still well up for grab, btw when is Sturidge expected back?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #478: Dec 22, 2014 12:47:14 am
      We played brilliant. Yeah, it wasn't Arsenal's best side, but let's not forget it wasn't our best side, either. We played without a striker, they played with 3, and we still bossed them.

The interplay of Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho and Markovic from a deep wide position was sexy. It's funny that the absence of a striker can show how fluid most of our players can be. It again begs the question of why target guys who would fit the system (i.e., Sanchez and Remy) but end up with a player like Balotelli whose strength is not moving. I also thought Lucas handled the middle of the park well and seemed to work a bit better with Stevie than they did in the League Cup.

They didn't deserve anything, but our defending gifted them two goals. That Debuchy goal was an embarrassing to the word "defending" from the failure to clear headers to Skrtel's lead feet. The Giroud goal was pathetically soft from a failed long ball by Gerrard to Skrtel not getting a challenge in on Giroud. Our complete defensive incompetence is KILLING us.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #479: Dec 22, 2014 01:09:06 am
      A few thoughts on today's game:

1.  A back 3 can work for us and could be the best way to move forward this season.  It can't be coincidence that our best 3 performances (with the exception of the Spurs game) have all come with the new 3-4-3 formation.  The results haven't been great, but the performances have been much improved and if we keep playing like we have been then we should start winning games on a more regular basis. 

2.  Hendo as a RM/RWB doesn't really work.  He is a decent CM, but he is pretty much useless when played out of position.  It would be better to bring Moreno on at LM/LWB and move Markovic over to the right side. 

3.  Gerrard doesn't really fit into this system.  The way we are playing in this 3-4-3 setup relies on short passes and quick movement off the ball, which does not really suit Stevie's game.  There are very few players who are better at playing 60 yard passes, through balls, and set pieces than Stevie, but in this system he seems like a square peg in a round hole....

4.  We are missing a goal scorer.  Balotelli, a player who I have been very critical of since he arrived at LFC, could very well find himself a regular on the score sheet if he features in this new setup.  If you look at the Man U game, he had more good scoring chances in 45 minutes than he'd had all season prior.  It was unfortunate that he was unable to finish any of them, but if he can get a few to fall and get some confidence then he may start banging in the goals on a consistent basis.  The question is, who does he replace if he comes into the starting lineup?  Surely all of Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Markovic all need to keep their places, while Lucas should keep his because the protection he gives the back 3 is critical in this setup.  It seems that Hendo will be the most likely one to lose out with Sterling being shifted out to the RM/RWB role.  If Balo does come straight into the starting lineup, he had better work his ass off, make unselfish runs, and play for the good of the team.  If he does these things then the goals will come. 

5.  Studge will thrive in this setup.  His pace, movement, understanding with Sterling and Coutinho, and scoring touch will see him light up the charts when he is fully fit and firing on all cylinders. 

It seems like we can't catch a break this season, but at some point we'll start to get the rub of the green.  Here's hoping that our luck starts to change this Friday against Burnley.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #480: Dec 22, 2014 02:35:44 am
      I'm not a particular fan of the back 3 set-up, but it has been working for us in the last few games. Well, at least the midfield and attack that comes with it, not so much the back 3 themselves.

And I agree with some previous posts about the deployment of Henderson. He is not suited at all for the WB role, but I suppose it might be the only choice at this point, given Rodgers doesn't trust Lambert or Borini to start. That will most likely change once Sturridge is back and frees up Sterling to play on the opposite side of Markovic.

We also need to used Gerrard differently, as in more sparingly. Can alongside Lucas should do for now. So if Rodgers is going to continue with this formation then I believe this is the strongest XI:

Mignolet

Toure - Skrtel - Sakho

Sterling - Lucas - Can - Markovic

Coutinho - Lallana

Sturridge

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #481: Dec 22, 2014 03:31:29 am
      Man of the match for me was Coutinho, he worked hard throughout the match and his energy and passing was top class.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #482: Dec 22, 2014 03:37:53 am
      My ratings:

Jones: He definitely commands his area better than Mignolet. Unfortunately he doesn't actually save anything. A better passer of the football than some of our centre backs though. 5/10.

Markovic: Obviously not a wing back, but I like the fact he's being played there. It's allowing him to feel his way into the Premiership, and to get some confidence going. Obviously a talented footballer. 6/10.

Sakho: Did pretty well aside from a couple of trademark Bambi moves in possession and a baffling decision not to get close to Giroud for the second goal. 5/10.

Skrtel: At fault for the first goal in that he over anticipated and got sucked in a step too much under the ball. A bit unlucky from there that his attempt at a recovery saw the ball deflected in. Great equaliser though, very brave with an injury. 7/10.

Toure: Did little wrong other than like Skrtel and Sakho, being unaware of Giroud for the second. 6/10.

Gerrard: Some good moments mixed in with the ordinary. Did pretty well but outshone by his midfield partner. 7/10.

Lucas: I thought he was magnificent. Not his job to score, I wish he wouldn't even go there but such was our dominance he was able to do so with impunity and he almost won us the game. If we're serious about playing the 3-4-3 long term, we should give him a. New contract. MOM by miles. 9/10.

Henderson: a few trademark brainless moments, but in general not too bad. 6/10.

Coutinho: would have been MOM but for his wastefulness in front of goal.what. Footballer though. 8/10.

Sterling: did enough when back out wide to show THAT is his position really. 7/10.

Lallana: continues to impress. 8/10.

Quick Reply