Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Renovating a home

Read 1476 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Renovating a home
      Dec 25, 2014 12:31:05 pm
      Trying to renovate a two bedroom flat in S.London. Just want an idea of what is best to increase the value of this place. The main bedroom and front room have already been renovated; that is, newly plastered walls, new flooring (laminate unfortunately but a nice one) and de-cluttered. The bathroom, kitchen, smaller bedroom and kitchen all need change. I'm finding it quite an expensive project. Lived here quite a while but are looking to move out within the next year or two. Want to maximize the value of this place but am unsure if it's all just diminishing returns.

Happy to hear your views (maybe on your experience with this sort of stuff).
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Re: Renovating a home
      Reply #1: Dec 29, 2014 09:58:32 pm
      Make a nice kitchen!

You could always go into an estate agents & get a surveyors opinion!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: Dec 29, 2014 10:50:04 pm
      Trying to renovate a two bedroom flat in S.London. Just want an idea of what is best to increase the value of this place. The main bedroom and front room have already been renovated; that is, newly plastered walls, new flooring (laminate unfortunately but a nice one) and de-cluttered. The bathroom, kitchen, smaller bedroom and kitchen all need change. I'm finding it quite an expensive project. Lived here quite a while but are looking to move out within the next year or two. Want to maximize the value of this place but am unsure if it's all just diminishing returns.

Happy to hear your views (maybe on your experience with this sort of stuff).

Not too sure you should be spending too much on a flat. Just ensure everything is okay really. Central heating, decorated, carpets, double glazing, bathroom, kitchen, no damp, etc. doesn't have to be expensive stuff but just stuff that isn't old and dated and is functioning.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3: Dec 30, 2014 10:30:58 am
      Get your flat valued first. Even speak to the w**ker agent and get a rough idea whether you can add value to the property. Being in S. London and of course depending on the area, I'd imagine you could add some value to your place.

Then, compare the price of it with others in the area. This in tandem with the estate agents estimate will give you an idea of what you can get.

Adding value though, usually and maybe in your case I would start with the kitchen, then bathroom. Get both expensive rooms revamped as cheap as poss, do any of your own work if you can. If the rest of the place is in decent airy nick then I reckon you'd add value.

Quick Reply