Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2014/15 squad

Read 6662 times
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      2014/15 squad
      Dec 25, 2014 02:44:39 pm
      Current squad by position and registration status.

Goalkeepers

HG - 1. Jones
      NHG - 22. Mignolet
      U21 - 52. Ward

Centre Backs

HG - none
      NHG - 37. Skrtel, 6. Lovren, 17. Sakho, 4. Toure
      U21 - 51. Jones

Full Backs

HG - 2. Johnson
      NHG - 3. Enrique, 18. Moreno
      U21 - 38. Flanagan, 19. Manquillo, 44. Smith

Defensive and Central Midfield

HG - 8. Gerrard, 14. Henderson, 24. Allen
      NHG - 21. Lucas
      U21 - 23. Can, 46. Rossiter, 41. Dunn, 49. Williams

Attacking Midfield and Inside Forward

HG - 20. Lallana
      NHG - 10. Coutinho
      U21 - 31. Sterling, 50. Markovic, 30. Suso, 32. Brannagan, 54. Ojo

Centre (and Inside) Forward

HG - 15. Sturridge, 9. Lambert, 29. Borini
      NHG - 45. Balotelli
      U21 - 36. Yesil, 48. Sinclair

Out on Loan

Alberto, Aspas, 47. Wisdom, Origi, 53. Texeira, 26. Ilori, 33. Ibe, 16. Coates, 11. Assaidi

Totals

HG - 9
      NHG - 10
      U21 - 16
      Out on loan - 9
      « Last Edit: Dec 26, 2014 02:28:27 pm by Canuck33, Reason: Oho added »
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Re: 2014/15 squad
      Reply #1: Dec 25, 2014 02:45:50 pm
      Is this squad good enough to get us to top 4 this season? Is there any major areas of upgrading? What is really important to look after in January? What can wait until the summer? Where are long term areas of concern?
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #2: Dec 25, 2014 02:55:27 pm
      My biggest concern that I would like to see resolved in January, is a goal keeper. I believe with a proper keeper for our style of play, a sweeper keeper, a lot of our defensive problems would disappear.

With Sturridge back in a couple of weeks I think we might be able to hold off with getting a striker until the summer. That's when we also should look at an upgrade at DM and another CB or 2 to replace Toure and possibly Skrtel.

Long term, depending on the contract situation maybe even right away, we need to look at a replacement for Gerrard. A top class player with leadership qualities, a franchise player, one who will be the glue of this team.
      « Last Edit: Dec 26, 2014 02:18:46 pm by Canuck33 »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3: Dec 25, 2014 03:16:52 pm
      Is this squad good enough to get us to top 4 this season? Is there any major areas of upgrading? What is really important to look after in January? What can wait until the summer? Where are long term areas of concern?

Goalkeeper - no
      Defence - no
      Midfield - no (on the whole but we do have some good players in there)
      Strikers - no

The biggest problem to be resolved in Jan is the Striker problem. Not because that will resolve our defensive issues but because it won't expose them to the degree they have been this season. Ideally we need a Goalkeer and a Striker that fits in to the way we play. In a perfect world, one that's better than Sturridge, certainly from an injury prone perspective.  There's paper talk of ten Liverpool players being in danger of the axe in the Summer. Personally I'd like to see more than ten go.

Jones
      Mignolet
      Skrtel
      Lovren
      Toure
      Sahko
      Alberto
      Johnson
      Enrique
      Henderson
      Allen
      Lucas
      Suso
      Wisdom
      Ilori
      Coates
      Assaidi
      Lambert
      Aspas
      Borini

This is twenty one players who just are not good enough for us to fulfil our ambitions with. That's almost half the players listed in the squad and those on loan. If ever there was a damning indictment of our transfer committee, this for me is it. If ever we need to pay big money it's in Jan because we very much need to be better in both boxes than these players are capable of and moving forward we need to slowly start bringing in one or two top players each window. As I've said before, sooner a small but talented squad than a large squad of no-hopers.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #4: Dec 25, 2014 03:38:03 pm
      Goalkeeper - no
      Defence - no
      Midfield - no (on the whole but we do have some good players in there)
      Strikers - no

The biggest problem to be resolved in Jan is the Striker problem. Not because that will resolve our defensive issues but because it won't expose them to the degree they have been this season. Ideally we need a Goalkeer and a Striker that fits in to the way we play. In a perfect world, one that's better than Sturridge, certainly from an injury prone perspective.  There's paper talk of ten Liverpool players being in danger of the axe in the Summer. Personally I'd like to see more than ten go.

Jones
      Mignolet
      Skrtel
      Lovren
      Toure
      Sahko
      Alberto
      Johnson
      Enrique
      Henderson
      Allen
      Lucas
      Suso
      Wisdom
      Ilori
      Coates
      Assaidi
      Lambert
      Aspas
      Borini

This is twenty one players who just are not good enough for us to fulfil our ambitions with. That's almost half the players listed in the squad and those on loan. If ever there was a damning indictment of our transfer committee, this for me is it. If ever we need to pay big money it's in Jan because we very much need to be better in both boxes than these players are capable of and moving forward we need to slowly start bringing in one or two top players each window. As I've said before, sooner a small but talented squad than a large squad of no-hopers.

Wow! That's quite a long list. I don't disagree with most of the names on it, but I cant see it happening in the short term.

Toure's and Johnson's contracts are up at the end of the season, and I doubt they will be extended. Aspas, Assaidi, Alberto and Coates shouldn't return from loan. Lucas and Borini will most likely leave for Italy, if decent enough offers comes in. And Jones needs to be sold as well. That's 9 players I can see gone for sure. The rest we most likely have for at least another year.

A keeper, a striker, a CB and a DM to replace the lot
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #5: Dec 25, 2014 04:10:05 pm
      Wow! That's quite a long list. I don't disagree with most of the names on it, but I cant see it happening in the short term.

Toure's and Johnson's contracts are up at the end of the season, and I doubt they will be extended. Aspas, Assaidi, Alberto and Coates shouldn't return from loan. Lucas and Borini will most likely leave for Italy, if decent enough offers comes in. And Jones needs to be sold as well. That's 9 players I can see gone for sure. The rest we most likely have for at least another year.

A keeper, a striker, a CB and a DM to replace the lot

Yes, well the point was that we have a massive rebuilding job on our hands because what we've been building so far is simply not good enough. Clearly it won't be a Summer clear out because we lack the funds needed. This list also doesn't include the likes of Moreno, Manquilo, Balotelli and Gerrard who should be reduced to squad players because they're either too old to play every game, as is the case with Stevie, or not good enough to be first team players, as is the case with the rest. So realistically we're looking at eight out of the eleven first team positions need to be replaced by better players if we're to have a hope in hell's chance of being the team we once were.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #6: Dec 25, 2014 05:02:04 pm
      Yes, well the point was that we have a massive rebuilding job on our hands because what we've been building so far is simply not good enough. Clearly it won't be a Summer clear out because we lack the funds needed. This list also doesn't include the likes of Moreno, Manquilo, Balotelli and Gerrard who should be reduced to squad players because they're either too old to play every game, as is the case with Stevie, or not good enough to be first team players, as is the case with the rest. So realistically we're looking at eight out of the eleven first team positions need to be replaced by better players if we're to have a hope in hell's chance of being the team we once were.

To be fair, we almost won the league with last year with a team that beside Suarez is still here. The most frequent starters were Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Flanagan, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez. So if this team can win the league, which we would've, if not for a few stupid mistakes, then why would the same team with a proper replacement for Suarez not be able to do the same?

Now, I know we made some mistakes last summer as far as transfers are concerned. First and foremost, we didn't bring in an adequate replacement for Suarez. Secondly, we didn't bring in a proper 3rd choice striker to fill in for injuries and rotation. And the other players we brought in with the intention of improving the XI haven't hit the Ground running (Lovren, Moreno, Lallana).

Nevertheless, with a top class striker we could've fielded the same team as last year without missing a beat. And that's the big one. Inexcusable. Because if one believes some of the reports, the whole issue about Sanchez being set on a London move emerged only after we played our usual transfer delaying tactics. If any of those rumours can be substantiated, then heads should roll, lots of heads.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7: Dec 25, 2014 06:28:54 pm
      To be fair, we almost won the league with last year with a team that beside Suarez is still here. The most frequent starters were Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Flanagan, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez. So if this team can win the league, which we would've, if not for a few stupid mistakes, then why would the same team with a proper replacement for Suarez not be able to do the same?

Now, I know we made some mistakes last summer as far as transfers are concerned. First and foremost, we didn't bring in an adequate replacement for Suarez. Secondly, we didn't bring in a proper 3rd choice striker to fill in for injuries and rotation. And the other players we brought in with the intention of improving the XI haven't hit the Ground running (Lovren, Moreno, Lallana).

Nevertheless, with a top class striker we could've fielded the same team as last year without missing a beat. And that's the big one. Inexcusable. Because if one believes some of the reports, the whole issue about Sanchez being set on a London move emerged only after we played our usual transfer delaying tactics. If any of those rumours can be substantiated, then heads should roll, lots of heads.

People point to this constantly but let's look at Liverpool's run, shall we. We beat, Arsenal, United and Spurs and City. Arsenal, United and Spurs had all collapsed by the time we faced them in our incredible run last season, hence the wide margins we beat them by. Of the rest of the teams we faced we should be expected to be beating teams like Fulham, West Ham, Norwich, Cardiff etc. because they're our bread and butter matches. We got away with murder at City who battered us in the second half and we could and probably should have finished the game with ten men after Skrtel's hand ball and we came a cropper at Chelsea who gave us a tactical lesson by exposing our defensive weakness and contained our attacking prowess - call it parking the bus if you want but it was tactically sound.

Then let's look at the players. The same defence we have now is only conceding slightly more goals than it was last season. Skrtel was auditioning for WWE as he has done every season he's played for us. Sahko had as many mistakes in him last season as he does this. Flanagan was the single most dribbled past defender in the entire Premier league last season. Johnson and Gerrard are a year older and Enrique hasn't looked the same player he was prior to injury. Suarez has left, only to be replaced by Rickie Lambert and Balotelli - one over the hill, one unsuited to our style of play. Mignolet has never been comfortable playing the ball out of the back, has never been an accurate kicker and where not for his ability to stop a shot, he'd be considered every bit as bad as Jones.

This season we've been unable to score goals, leaked at the same alarming rate, been battered by teams we should be comfortably winning and embarrassed ourselves in Europe. Just because we did so well last season should not detract from the unsuitability of our players to achieve sustained success both in the League and in Europe.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #8: Dec 25, 2014 07:01:48 pm
      People point to this constantly but let's look at Liverpool's run, shall we. We beat, Arsenal, United and Spurs and City. Arsenal, United and Spurs had all collapsed by the time we faced them in our incredible run last season, hence the wide margins we beat them by. Of the rest of the teams we faced we should be expected to be beating teams like Fulham, West Ham, Norwich, Cardiff etc. because they're our bread and butter matches. We got away with murder at City who battered us in the second half and we could and probably should have finished the game with ten men after Skrtel's hand ball and we came a cropper at Chelsea who gave us a tactical lesson by exposing our defensive weakness and contained our attacking prowess - call it parking the bus if you want but it was tactically sound.

Then let's look at the players. The same defence we have now is only conceding slightly more goals than it was last season. Skrtel was auditioning for WWE as he has done every season he's played for us. Sahko had as many mistakes in him last season as he does this. Flanagan was the single most dribbled past defender in the entire Premier league last season. Johnson and Gerrard are a year older and Enrique hasn't looked the same player he was prior to injury. Suarez has left, only to be replaced by Rickie Lambert and Balotelli - one over the hill, one unsuited to our style of play. Mignolet has never been comfortable playing the ball out of the back, has never been an accurate kicker and where not for his ability to stop a shot, he'd be considered every bit as bad as Jones.

This season we've been unable to score goals, leaked at the same alarming rate, been battered by teams we should be comfortably winning and embarrassed ourselves in Europe. Just because we did so well last season should not detract from the unsuitability of our players to achieve sustained success both in the League and in Europe.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm well aware that we overachieved last year, mainly due to the form of Suarez and Sturridge, I might add. But we will have to work with some of these players for the rest of this season and one or a few more. There is no way we could do this at once, even if we had the money to do it.

If we are to continue with the current 3-4-2-1 formation, which I think is not a bad idea, even though I'm not a big fan of 3 at the back, then we should be alright for the remainder of the season with a new keeper and Sturridge back. In the summer we'd have to upgrade with a DM, a CB and a CF.

It's gonna have to a be different approach from now on. 2 or 3 top players, who would walk into the XI, in the summer and, depending on necessity, another in the winter.
      « Last Edit: Dec 25, 2014 07:43:11 pm by Canuck33 »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #9: Dec 26, 2014 01:18:34 am
      I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm well aware that we overachieved last year, mainly due to the form of Suarez and Sturridge, I might add. But we will have to work with some of these players for the rest of this season and one or a few more. There is no way we could do this at once, even if we had the money to do it.

If we are to continue with the current 3-4-2-1 formation, which I think is not a bad idea, even though I'm not a big fan of 3 at the back, then we should be alright for the remainder of the season with a new keeper and Sturridge back. In the summer we'd have to upgrade with a DM, a CB and a CF.

It's gonna have to a be different approach from now on. 2 or 3 top players, who would walk into the XI, in the summer and, depending on necessity, another in the winter.

I wouldn't say last year was down to Sturridge and Suarez, that's too simplistic and not what I'm trying to suggest. What I'm saying is more that what we achieved last year was in spite of our squad, not because of it. What we need to be doing is looking at the quality of what we have, what we've signed in comparison to other teams, including Chelsea (or especially Chelsea), look at what they're spending especially at the lower end and look at why they're having more success than us.

For the rest I agree. We need to start phasing out these players and replacing them with high quality players (or at least higher quality) over the next few windows. As Chelsea have proved time and again you don't have to always spend megabucks to buy good players but on the whole we need to focus on quality over quantity because the reverse backfired so spectacularly last Summer that it's lead to our worst start to a season in fifty years.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #10: Dec 26, 2014 12:30:58 pm
      I wouldn't say last year was down to Sturridge and Suarez, that's too simplistic and not what I'm trying to suggest. What I'm saying is more that what we achieved last year was in spite of our squad, not because of it. What we need to be doing is looking at the quality of what we have, what we've signed in comparison to other teams, including Chelsea (or especially Chelsea), look at what they're spending especially at the lower end and look at why they're having more success than us.

For the rest I agree. We need to start phasing out these players and replacing them with high quality players (or at least higher quality) over the next few windows. As Chelsea have proved time and again you don't have to always spend megabucks to buy good players but on the whole we need to focus on quality over quantity because the reverse backfired so spectacularly last Summer that it's lead to our worst start to a season in fifty years.

I know it wasn't you who suggested it was down to Suarez and Sturridge. That was actually me. And I did say mainly, not solely. And yes, we did what we did despite our squad, hence overachieved.

I don't think we can measure ourselves against the likes of Chelsea and Man City at this point. These guys have big and expensive squads with plenty of quality in depth. Even Arsenal to a degree. Who we should be measuring ourselves against, is said Arsenal, United and we also have to keep an eye on some of the emerging forces in the PL, like Tottenham, Southampton and Everton.

I mean, let's face it. United's squad is nothing to write home about. Beside a top keeper and a couple of lads, who know where the net is, there isn't much there. Yet they are 3rd in the league. How the hell did that happen?

We missed a golden opportunity this summer. Having finished 2nd in dramatic fashion. CL footbal waiting in the wings. There is no excuse to not having done better in the market. None!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11: Dec 26, 2014 01:45:23 pm
      I know it wasn't you who suggested it was down to Suarez and Sturridge. That was actually me. And I did say mainly, not solely. And yes, we did what we did despite our squad, hence overachieved.

I don't think we can measure ourselves against the likes of Chelsea and Man City at this point. These guys have big and expensive squads with plenty of quality in depth. Even Arsenal to a degree. Who we should be measuring ourselves against, is said Arsenal, United and we also have to keep an eye on some of the emerging forces in the PL, like Tottenham, Southampton and Everton.

I mean, let's face it. United's squad is nothing to write home about. Beside a top keeper and a couple of lads, who know where the net is, there isn't much there. Yet they are 3rd in the league. How the hell did that happen?

We missed a golden opportunity this summer. Having finished 2nd in dramatic fashion. CL footbal waiting in the wings. There is no excuse to not having done better in the market. None!

Chelsea really don't. Their squad value is inflated by a few high value signings but the majority of their players actually had less paid for them than the majority of ours.

Čech for £7 million or Mingnolet for £9 million.
      Ivanović for £9 million or Sakho for £15 million
      Cahill for £7 million or Lovren for £20 million.
      Remy for £10.5 million or Balotelli for £16 million.
      Azpilicueta for £7 million or Enrique for £7 million

This is what I'm suggesting we need to do. Be better at the low end and focus on bringing in one or two high value players each year. We earn more than enough money to do that. We couldn't build a squad over night like City did but we can build one over time like Chelsea are doing.
      « Last Edit: Dec 26, 2014 01:59:34 pm by 5timesacharm »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Dec 26, 2014 01:54:44 pm

We missed a golden opportunity this summer.

Having finished 2nd in dramatic fashion. CL footbal waiting in the wings.

There is no excuse to not having done better in the market. None!
      [/quote

Its called kicking on from that level

Their squad value is inflated by a few high value signings but the majority of their players actually had less paid for them than the majority of ours.

Čech for £7 million vs. Mingnolet for £9 million.
      Ivanović for £9 million vs. Sakho for £15 million
      Remy for £10.5 million vs. Balotelli for £16 million.

This is what I'm suggesting we need to do. Be better at the low end and focus on bringing in one or two high value players each year. We earn more than enough money to do that.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #13: Dec 26, 2014 02:02:54 pm

Your post got messed up, mate but if it's you saying "kicking on from that level" then I agree to an extent. But I'm also saying that we're serially bad at signing quality at the low end of the price market. When we spend £9 or £10 million it's turd. When Chelsea spend that it's quality. Since this pre-dates the committee it's not down to the committee as an organisation but rather the people involved. In short, Liverpool need a back room clear out too with people better at identifying talent being brought in to the club because if you or I can pick out a quality inexpensive player, the people being paid good money to should be able to.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #14: Dec 26, 2014 02:17:19 pm
      Chelsea really don't. Their squad value is inflated by a few high value signings but the majority of their players actually had less paid for them than the majority of ours.

This is what I'm suggesting we need to do. Be better at the low end and focus on bringing in one or two high value players each year. We earn more than enough money to do that. We couldn't build a squad over night like City did but we can build one over time like Chelsea are doing.

Quite sad when you look at what we've wasted money on.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Dec 26, 2014 03:15:26 pm
      Your post got messed up, mate but if it's you saying "kicking on from that level" then I agree to an extent. But I'm also saying that we're serially bad at signing quality at the low end of the price market. When we spend £9 or £10 million it's turd. When Chelsea spend that it's quality. Since this pre-dates the committee it's not down to the committee as an organisation but rather the people involved. In short, Liverpool need a back room clear out too with people better at identifying talent being brought in to the club because if you or I can pick out a quality inexpensive player, the people being paid good money to should be able to.

Yeah 5.
      Got technophobia on the double post.

Quite agree.

You and I to pick the new players and Racer to play the formations.

Masters Of The Universe  mate !
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #16: Dec 26, 2014 10:46:05 pm
      Yep, 5timesacharm is right. Half the dross needs to go. Just not good enough. But I think we couldn't even sell that lot to a Championship side. Maybe some 3rd division outfit on the continent will take them on the cheap. I have never seen a bunch like that assembled into a single team in my entire lifetime. I'm gonna go and vomit now.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #17: Dec 26, 2014 11:27:59 pm
      The thing is, a lot of people blame Rodgers for our situation this season but I think he has already come to this realisation himself. More often than not his tactics are based as much on our squad limitations as it is to do with the team we're facing. With this current squad there isn't a manager in the world that could win us the title and European glory.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #18: Dec 26, 2014 11:51:43 pm

Cech was also bought some 10 years, or so, before we got Mignolet. Around the similar time of Chelsea getting Cech, we signed a better keeper than him for less money. Ivanovic, again, bought many years before we got Sakho. Whereas around the time they got Ivanovic, we got a better right back called Alvaro Arbeloa, for a lot less. Cahill was signed for 7 million for the same reason Owen was sold by us for 8 million. His contract was up in the not so distant future and the selling club wanted something for him rather than nothing. Remy for Balotelli was a shocking decision. And I'd rather of had that Azpilicueta than Enrique

Yes we've wasted millions but Chelsea's signings, at the time, were expensive. If I remember rightly, Cech was a record signing for a goalkeeper by a British club. So ten years later, yeah it looks like a cheap deal but at the time it wasn't. And the world of football has gone mad in the last five years in terms of transfers.

Alternatively we could say Chelsea forked out 32 million on Willian, we spent 8 on Coutinho. Chelsea forked out 50 million on Torres, we spent less than that on Suarez and Sturridge combined. Chelsea spent 16 million on Mikel, we spent 5 on Lucas.

Every team makes expensive mistakes, every team finds a F***ing gem of a bargain.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: Dec 27, 2014 12:01:07 am
      The thing is, a lot of people blame Rodgers for our situation this season but I think he has already come to this realisation himself. More often than not his tactics are based as much on our squad limitations as it is to do with the team we're facing. With this current squad there isn't a manager in the world that could win us the title and European glory.

It's not a title winning squad, but there is a decent starting11 in there  that is strong enough to qualify for the CL through a top 4 finish, or Europa league title.
      We need to get a reasonably settled team so they can get a sense of each other's game, last season everyone knew where they needed to be , we must get that cohesion and trust in each other back again.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #20: Dec 27, 2014 12:08:09 am
      It's not a title winning squad, but there is a decent starting11 in there  that is strong enough to qualify for the CL through a top 4 finish, or Europa league title.
      We need to get a reasonably settled team so they can get a sense of each other's game, last season everyone knew where they needed to be , we must get that cohesion and trust in each other back again.

No, there isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #21: Dec 27, 2014 12:12:26 am
      Cech was also bought some 10 years, or so, before we got Mignolet. Around the similar time of Chelsea getting Cech, we signed a better keeper than him for less money. Ivanovic, again, bought many years before we got Sakho. Whereas around the time they got Ivanovic, we got a better right back called Alvaro Arbeloa, for a lot less. Cahill was signed for 7 million for the same reason Owen was sold by us for 8 million. His contract was up in the not so distant future and the selling club wanted something for him rather than nothing. Remy for Balotelli was a shocking decision. And I'd rather of had that Azpilicueta than Enrique

Yes we've wasted millions but Chelsea's signings, at the time, were expensive. If I remember rightly, Cech was a record signing for a goalkeeper by a British club. So ten years later, yeah it looks like a cheap deal but at the time it wasn't. And the world of football has gone mad in the last five years in terms of transfers.

Alternatively we could say Chelsea forked out 32 million on Willian, we spent 8 on Coutinho. Chelsea forked out 50 million on Torres, we spent less than that on Suarez and Sturridge combined. Chelsea spent 16 million on Mikel, we spent 5 on Lucas.

Every team makes expensive mistakes, every team finds a f**king gem of a bargain.

I don't accept that at all. Azpilicueta was signed in 2012 for the same amount we paid for Enrique who signed for us a year earlier and are you suggesting Enrique is better? Luís was signed in the Summer by them for only £3.5 million more than we paid for Moreno but there's more than £3.5 million in difference in talent. Schürrle was bought last year for only £2 million more than Balotelli. Ramires bought for £17 million. Oscar £19.3 million. Schwarzer signed for them in the Summer on a Free. These are all very good players but Chelsea didn't pay a fee for them that we ourselves would be unable to match so to suggest we can't compete with Chelsea is a fallacy. All I'm saying is that on the whole Chelsea do better when they sign players who aren't Superstars than we do.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22: Dec 27, 2014 12:18:08 am
      No, there isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

There's no stretch at all, bar the GK, we're stronger than all but 4 teams in the league!

Quick Reply