Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Danny Ward (Liverpool > Leicester)

Read 66975 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Danny Ward Player Thread
      Reply #115: Apr 17, 2016 07:39:23 pm
      A good match from Ward, he looks a good back up keeper. He is focused and knows what he is doing. Keep it up Danny.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #116: Apr 18, 2016 01:45:43 am
      Congrats on your full League debut Danny, played well, nothing he could have done about that consolation goal.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #117: Apr 18, 2016 07:35:03 pm
      Good steady debut and had every confidence in him. Shame he didn't get the clean sheet but there was nothing he could have done about it
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      Reply #118: Apr 18, 2016 07:43:55 pm
      He looked strong, brave coming out and concentrated.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #119: Apr 29, 2016 01:07:14 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #120: May 05, 2016 01:19:33 pm
      Think we need to get Mark Schwarzer in as a backup to Danny and to whoever is going to be our first choice keeper next year. Reason???  He is Leicesters' 2nd choice this season, won a Title although he doesn't get a medal and same thing happened at those Chav cu*ts the year before, when he was on their books. He might be a lucky charm. Doesn't matter if he doesn't play, as long as we get the Title, he can hold one of the lads medals!
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      Reply #121: May 05, 2016 02:36:04 pm
      Think we need to get Mark Schwarzer in as a backup to Danny and to whoever is going to be our first choice keeper next year. Reason???  He is Leicesters' 2nd choice this season, won a Title although he doesn't get a medal and same thing happened at those Chav cu*ts the year before, when he was on their books. He might be a lucky charm. Doesn't matter if he doesn't play, as long as we get the Title, he can hold one of the lads medals!

I think that 2nd choice keeper get a medal. We can buy him to get the title. We have bought many players, why not this transfer.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #122: Jun 11, 2016 04:25:49 pm
      Making his Full debut today, in the 1st game for Wales at the Euros!

Brown trouser time....
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #123: Jun 11, 2016 05:03:13 pm
      Good luck Danny and Marty.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #124: Jul 11, 2016 01:19:39 pm
      Congrats on the new deal Danny and great news the loan deal to Huddersfield has been confirmed.

Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward agrees new deal - and will now join Huddersfield on loan

10:30, 11 Jul 2016
          By James Pearce

Welsh international has agreed five-year contract but will spend season in Championship.

Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward has agreed terms on a new five-year contract prior to joining Huddersfield Town on a season-long loan.

The Wales international will link up with the Championship outfit once he has penned the long-term deal.

Ward has been rewarded with improved terms following the eye-catching progress he has made over the past 12 months.

The 23-year-old shot-stopper impressed on loan at Aberdeen before being recalled by Jürgen Klopp in January and installed as Simon Mignolet's deputy.

Ward made two composed first-team appearances towards the end of the campaign and then shone for Wales in their victory over Slovakia at Euro 2016.

With Liverpool signing Loris Karius from Mainz to compete with Simon Mignolet for the role of Anfield No 1, Klopp has decided that another spell away from the club in 2016/17 would be best for Ward's development.

Huddersfield are managed by David Wagner, a close friend of Klopp, who was part of his backroom staff at Borussia Dortmund.

Liverpool face the Terriers in a pre-season friendly at the John Smith's Stadium on Wednesday, July 20.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #125: Jul 11, 2016 07:50:35 pm
      Danny Ward will return to Liverpool FC a better keeper says Klopp's pal

19:00, 11 JUL 2016       BY JAMES PEARCE

Huddersfield boss thanks Klopp after landing Reds keeper on loan

Liverpool will reap the rewards of Danny Ward’s loan move to Huddersfield Town, according to David Wagner.

The Terriers boss has thanked his close friend Jürgen Klopp for sanctioning the Wales international’s season-long switch to the Championship outfit.

Wagner, who was part of Klopp’s backroom staff at Borussia Dortmund, is looking forward to working with Ward, who has penned a new five-year deal with the Reds.

The keeper will join up with the Town squad for their pre-season camp in Austria on July 23 and the German coach has promised Liverpool that the 23-year-old’s development will continue over the coming months.

Wagner said: “I’ve spoken before about using the loan market to bring special talent to the club and Danny is another great example of this. That is why there was such strong competition to take Danny.

“I would like to thank Liverpool FC for the help the staff at the club have given us in allowing Danny to join us.

“Danny is a goalkeeper that Liverpool FC rates very highly, which is why he has signed a new long-term contract at the club. He did very well out on loan last season and I believe we can help him take the next step in his career this season so he will return to Liverpool a better goalkeeper.

“He is good with the ball at his feet, which is important in our style, but most importantly he is excellent at keeping the ball out of his net.

“Danny has had a very busy season that was extended by the part he played for Wales in Euro 2016, so he will be given some time off before he joins the squad when we depart for Austria.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-ward-return-liverpool-fc-11599964
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #126: Jul 11, 2016 07:54:54 pm
      Danny Ward will return to Liverpool FC a better keeper says Klopp's pal

19:00, 11 JUL 2016       BY JAMES PEARCE

Huddersfield boss thanks Klopp after landing Reds keeper on loan

Liverpool will reap the rewards of Danny Ward’s loan move to Huddersfield Town, according to David Wagner.

The Terriers boss has thanked his close friend Jürgen Klopp for sanctioning the Wales international’s season-long switch to the Championship outfit.

Wagner, who was part of Klopp’s backroom staff at Borussia Dortmund, is looking forward to working with Ward, who has penned a new five-year deal with the Reds.

The keeper will join up with the Town squad for their pre-season camp in Austria on July 23 and the German coach has promised Liverpool that the 23-year-old’s development will continue over the coming months.

Wagner said: “I’ve spoken before about using the loan market to bring special talent to the club and Danny is another great example of this. That is why there was such strong competition to take Danny.

“I would like to thank Liverpool FC for the help the staff at the club have given us in allowing Danny to join us.

“Danny is a goalkeeper that Liverpool FC rates very highly, which is why he has signed a new long-term contract at the club. He did very well out on loan last season and I believe we can help him take the next step in his career this season so he will return to Liverpool a better goalkeeper.

“He is good with the ball at his feet, which is important in our style, but most importantly he is excellent at keeping the ball out of his net.

“Danny has had a very busy season that was extended by the part he played for Wales in Euro 2016, so he will be given some time off before he joins the squad when we depart for Austria.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-ward-return-liverpool-fc-11599964

To me this kind of loan makes sense as he will probably be a starter, and will get played the way Jürgen want's him played...strategic loans to the right manager where a player is going to get experience in a way that is conducive  to the players development is a win/win...In the past we have just loaned to loan with the only reason seemingly to save on wages.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #127: Jul 11, 2016 08:07:23 pm
      He'll 100% be a starter mate, they've needed a decent keeper since Smithies left for QPR. I've got a few friends in Huddersfield who are looking forward to seeing him play next season and so are a lot of people on the Huddersfield forum.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #128: Aug 13, 2016 04:19:10 pm
      He saved a Dwight Gayle penalty but the ball popped up and Gayle headed in the rebound.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #129: Aug 13, 2016 05:42:40 pm
      He saved a Dwight Gayle penalty but the ball popped up and Gayle headed in the rebound.

They still won though didn't they?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #130: Aug 27, 2016 05:04:32 pm
      He unexpectedly finds himself sat at the top of the Championship with Huddersfield after 5 games. 4 wins and 1 draw. They've played some of their hardest games too (Newcastle away, Villa away, Brentford at home).
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #131: Aug 27, 2016 05:04:35 pm
      Very much doing the business for Klopp's mate at Huddersfield. Kept a cleen sheet and pulled off a great save to help Huddersfield beat Wolves 1-0. Terrific start to rue season for the Yorkshire club. Hope to see them in the Premier League next season.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #132: Aug 27, 2016 05:26:34 pm
      Very much doing the business for Klopp's mate at Huddersfield. Kept a cleen sheet and pulled off a great save to help Huddersfield beat Wolves 1-0. Terrific start to rue season for the Yorkshire club. Hope to see them in the Premier League next season.

Incredible start. Great experience for Ward too - Wagner plays an almost identical style to Klopp (obviously) so Ward will be used to a high pressing defence, meaning he's actually getting good experience of coming off his line.

It's perhaps a reason why Mignolet struggles at Liverpool. He was used to playing with a deep lying defence at Sunderland - almost two banks of four - so didn't have to come so far off his line. A high pressing defence means a goalkeeper has more responsibility for his area - Mignolet has never looked comfortable but it can only be good for Ward at the moment.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #133: Feb 02, 2017 08:09:31 pm
      Whenever I watch Huddersfield they concede stupid goals after a mistake from the midfield and Ward being in no man's land. He seriously needs to learn that if he's going to come so far out (he was like 25 yards out this time) then he has to get there because all he seems to do atm is rush out and then stall. It's so easy for the attacker to score.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #134: Feb 02, 2017 08:40:13 pm
      Whenever I watch Huddersfield they concede stupid goals after a mistake from the midfield and Ward being in no man's land. He seriously needs to learn that if he's going to come so far out (he was like 25 yards out this time) then he has to get there because all he seems to do atm is rush out and then stall. It's so easy for the attacker to score.

I've been watching a feed of this game, and his decision making seems a bit off at times - the time to come out, he's stuck on his line (suffers from Mignolitis at times here....) while he rushes out at other times. It's to be expected from a young keeper though, and he's no fool, certainly with the way Huddersfield are playing.

On a more interesting note, it's interesting to compare and contrast from the pressing game Wagner has implemented to Klopp's one. Wagner has made Huddersfield a very efficient output with some excellent football being played - it's encouraging to think this is coming from the same methodology that was developed under his best mate Klopp at Dortmund! Wagner another great addition the English leagues - implementing methods far and beyond the usual sterile neanderthal methods of native Englishmen.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #135: Feb 02, 2017 09:05:49 pm

If they get promoted I doubt he'll be back mate.  Why would he come back to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle here when he's starting every game for them, unless they decide to upgrade on him with the money they'll get.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #136: Feb 02, 2017 10:16:05 pm
      I've been watching a feed of this game, and his decision making seems a bit off at times - the time to come out, he's stuck on his line (suffers from Mignolitis at times here....) while he rushes out at other times. It's to be expected from a young keeper though, and he's no fool, certainly with the way Huddersfield are playing.

On a more interesting note, it's interesting to compare and contrast from the pressing game Wagner has implemented to Klopp's one. Wagner has made Huddersfield a very efficient output with some excellent football being played - it's encouraging to think this is coming from the same methodology that was developed under his best mate Klopp at Dortmund! Wagner another great addition the English leagues - implementing methods far and beyond the usual sterile neanderthal methods of native Englishmen.

It's a carbon copy of how we play: strongest in attack, fail to take their fair share of chances during some games, can be dodgy at the back, press like mad men, tend to make a lot more passes than the opposition etc. Nobody presses like them in the Championship and I think that's partly why they're in the top 6 at the moment. It's so good to see them doing this well. At the start of the season most of my mates from Huddersfield were hoping for a top half finish, around 10th or so at best.

If they get promoted I doubt he'll be back mate.  Why would he come back to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle here when he's starting every game for them, unless they decide to upgrade on him with the money they'll get.

It's going to be very interesting (if they do make the playoffs) to see how they do because they remind me of Brighton from last season. I always thought Brighton had to get automatic promotion as the other teams in the playoffs were more well rounded teams. The fact that they're currently 5th but only have the leagues 13th best attack says a lot, they're going to need to get goals in the playoffs. For teams in the playoff spots they have the 3rd best attack and 3rd best defence.

If they did get promoted then it definitely wouldn't make much sense for him to be 3rd choice here and it would enable him to get more experience as a first choice keeper. I'm not sure how confident I'd be of him playing a number of consecutive games for us if he had to, would be far less than for Karius and Mignolet anyway.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #137: Feb 02, 2017 10:23:10 pm
      It's going to be very interesting (if they do make the playoffs) to see how they do because they remind me of Brighton from last season. I always thought Brighton had to get automatic promotion as the other teams in the playoffs were more well rounded teams. The fact that they're currently 5th but only have the leagues 13th best attack says a lot, they're going to need to get goals in the playoffs. For teams in the playoff spots they have the 3rd best attack and 3rd best defence.

If they did get promoted then it definitely wouldn't make much sense for him to be 3rd choice here and it would enable him to get more experience as a first choice keeper. I'm not sure how confident I'd be of him playing a number of consecutive games for us if he had to, would be far less than for Karius and Mignolet anyway.

Sometimes it's just too soon for clubs to make the jump up to the PL mate.  As much as it would be great having them get promoted maybe another season of gelling and building in the Championship would be more helpful.  I know what you're saying about Brighton too, I really wanted them to go up last season but knew they wouldn't if it was through the play offs.

I'm not sure I'd want him back either mate, I wouldn't be confident in him having to play a run of games either.

Quick Reply