Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool vs Swansea City Pre match thread - 29th Dec Sky Sports 1 KO 8pm GMT

Read 6798 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Liverpool vs Swansea City Pre match thread - 29th Dec Sky Sports 1 KO 8pm GMT
      Dec 27, 2014 10:26:10 pm

Last game of 2014, let it be the catalyst to a better year of football from us!  ;)

Possible lineups for the game:

Last 6 meetings:

Just a few match facts:
      • Liverpool have seen over 2.5 goals in their last 4 matches against Swansea in all competitions.
      • Liverpool have won their last 3 home matches against Swansea in all competitions.
      • Liverpool have scored at least 2 goals in their last 4 matches against Swansea in all competitions.

Premier League preview:Liverpool host Swansea at Anfield live on Monday Night Football

The final Premier League match of 2014 sees Liverpool host Swansea City live on Monday Night Football.

Brendan Rodgers guided Swansea to promotion to the Premier League in 2011 and his former club currently sit three points clear of his current one in the table.

Both sides enjoyed 1-0 victories on Boxing Day, with Swansea beating Aston Villa at home and Liverpool winning at Burnley, but the Reds have won just two of their last eight Premier League games at Anfield.

Team news

Simon Mignolet will return to starting XI at the expense of the injured Brad Jones. The Belgian had been "indefinitely" dropped by Rodgers, but was called upon from the bench when Jones suffered a thigh injury against Burnley.

Brendan Rodgers felt Liverpool got a massive three points at Burnley and showed plenty of character.
      Fabio Borini returns to the squad following suspension but defenders Dejan Lovren and Glen Johnson (both groin) and Jon Flanagan (knee) are still not fit.

Swansea winger Jefferson Montero is set to miss the game after he damaged a hamstring against Villa, although he will be assessed in the next 24 hours.

Gary Monk says his Swansea team were magnificent in difficult conditions and won the battle against Aston Villa.
      Garry Monk is set to rotate his squad with possible recalls for Jazz Richards, Wayne Routledge and Bafetimbi Gomis, while on-loan Spurs midfielder Tom Carroll could replace former Liverpool man Jonjo Shelvey.

Opta stats

After just one goal being scored in the first three Barclays Premier League games between Swansea and Liverpool, there have been 16 in the last three.

There have been three goals scored in the opening five minutes of the last two league meetings between these two teams.

Shelvey has scored in both of his appearances for Swansea against his former club.

Last season’s 3-4 defeat is the highest scoring away match that Swansea have been involved in away from home since they reached the Premier League (seven goals).

Wilfried Bony has scored the first goal of the game in three of his last four starts away from home for Swansea.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313569/preview

If we want to go ahead of Swansea in the league, we need to win by a margin of more than 3 goals.

Come on you redmen!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Liverpool vs Swansea City Pre match thread - 29th Dec Sky Sports 1 KO 8pm GMT
      Reply #1: Dec 27, 2014 11:16:20 pm
      Wow,I impressive introduction.  :f_doh:

Coyr. We needed the three points.

:kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool vs Swansea City Pre match thread - 29th Dec Sky Sports 1 KO 8pm GMT
      Reply #2: Dec 28, 2014 12:13:10 am
      Moreno - LWB
      Markovic - LF
      Can - RCM or RCB

Cheers Bren.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #3: Dec 28, 2014 12:47:53 am
      Ward
      Toure Sktrtel Sakho
      Henderson Lucas Can Moreno
      Coutinho
      Markovic      Sterling
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #4: Dec 28, 2014 01:51:59 am
      should just be doing our own job I know, but looking at tomorrows fixtures, we will make up some ground with a win. The opportunity to turn on the offensive swagger and go for the win, although this will be a tricky match.
      Just hope the Wifred Boney issue doesn't bite us on the arse.
       Just use Hendo in the middle and drop either SG or Lucas for Can.
      Lallana be better on the right than hendo with two up front.
      Close call I think, with a hard won 2 - 1 win.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #5: Dec 28, 2014 03:06:41 am
      If there aren't gonna be any significant changes to the line up, then there's gonna be a problem. Then again, the expectations have reached a new low.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #6: Dec 28, 2014 07:06:11 am
      We're at home so I want to see a good attacking line up. Can should take Lucas' place, Maorkvic, Sterling, Countiho, Lallana all to play.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #7: Dec 28, 2014 09:31:14 am
      I was going to say same X1 from Boxing Day but how the F**k can we put Migs between the sticks again, the fella is shot , and some say he should be,
      It seems we have little choice but to promote young Ward from the ressies but do we ?
      Can we really rely on a inexperienced stopper to keep out a decent Swansea with Bony et al,
      Our defence is already uncomfortable let's say and obviously has major problems so will sticking with the hapless Mignolet be more harmful or will young Ward be damaged if he has a bad day at the office,
      Tough call for Brendan, I'd go with young Ward myself, at least he will feel confidant and will want to impress ,
      We can hardly afford a keeper who let's a ball trundle across a line, can we ?

So will we see this....

Ward
           Can.    Skrtle.   Sakho
      Hendo.      Lucas.    Markovic
                     Gerrard
         Coutinho.           Lallana
                      Sterling

Right now, at this juncture of this season is this our best X1. ?

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Dec 28, 2014 10:41:44 am
      At year end 2013 we were 5th on 36 points.
      Before the Swansea game we sit 11 points off that place in 9th on 25.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #9: Dec 28, 2014 10:52:35 am
      At year end 2013 we were 5th on 36 points.
      Before the Swansea game we sit 11 points off that place in 9th on 25.

In it's own way that stat is actually (unintentionally) quite misleading Skip in that it underplays our season to that point. We had a great run 2nd half of the season, no doubt, but we didn't come up on the blindside we were right up there.

We'd just lost to City & Chelsea - if we'd have won them we'd have been top on goal difference above the Arse'.

We go again....in the words of Frank Sinatra...."it was a very good year".
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Dec 28, 2014 11:17:24 am
      I was going to say same X1 from Boxing Day but how the f**k can we put Migs between the sticks again, the fella is shot , and some say he should be,
      It seems we have little choice but to promote young Ward from the ressies but do we ?
      Can we really rely on a inexperienced stopper to keep out a decent Swansea with Bony et al,
      Our defence is already uncomfortable let's say and obviously has major problems so will sticking with the hapless Mignolet be more harmful or will young Ward be damaged if he has a bad day at the office,
      Tough call for Brendan, I'd go with young Ward myself, at least he will feel confidant and will want to impress ,
      We can hardly afford a keeper who let's a ball trundle across a line, can we ?

So will we see this....

Ward
           Can.    Skrtle.   Sakho
      Hendo.      Lucas.    Markovic
                     Gerrard
         Coutinho.           Lallana
                      Sterling

Right now, at this juncture of this season is this our best X1. ?

YNWA

Yes and it's essentially got 8 midfielders in it, that tells it's own story.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #11: Dec 28, 2014 12:23:52 pm
                                           Mignolet
                                 Toure     Skrtel   Sakho
                          Henderson  Can   Lucas   Moreno
                                    Coutinho       Markovic
                                            Sterling

Ward; Manquillo, Enrique; Gerrard, Lallana; Balotelli, Lambert
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #12: Dec 28, 2014 01:04:23 pm
      Gone for a win in the Prediction League, but cannot help feeling Swansea could snatch a point, the way our defence is playing. I do hope the Reds prove me wrong.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #13: Dec 28, 2014 01:59:11 pm
      I'm expecting a better performance for this one. I,m sure it was too much turkey and stuffing the day before the Burnley sham. I'd put Markovic on the right wing back position and move Henderson into midfield though and put Moreno on the left wing back position.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #14: Dec 28, 2014 02:02:43 pm
      Got to win this one. With Spurs and United drawing and West Ham v Arsenal + Southampton v Chelsea to come it's a massive chance to gain ground on the teams above us.

Mignolet; Toure, Skrtel, Sakho; Manquillo, Henderson, Can, Moreno; Coutinho, Markovic, Balotelli.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #15: Dec 28, 2014 02:43:27 pm
      I hope we revert to 4 at the back for this and freshen up some of the personnel given the congested schedule.

Migs
      Manq - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno
               Can - Lucas
        Marko - Couts - Lallana
                  Sterling

With Balo and SG coming on 2nd half.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #16: Dec 28, 2014 03:11:21 pm
      I hope we revert to 4 at the back for this and freshen up some of the personnel given the congested schedule.

Migs
      Manq - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno
               Can - Lucas
        Marko - Couts - Lallana
                  Sterling

With Balo and SG coming on 2nd half.

I like your line up but would have Balo up front only because I don't think Raheem will get much change out of their CB's and will be bullied.
      Hendo is not a wing back as he has proved so in the middle or on the bench.
      Why have we brought full backs if we don't play them?

Thank god Montero is out for this one, he would have ripped our back line a new one.

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #17: Dec 28, 2014 03:25:48 pm
      1-0 to us, with several heart attacks during the game.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18: Dec 28, 2014 04:09:49 pm
      1-0 to us, with several heart attacks during the game.

That's a bit sick!  Hoping people suffer heart attacks during the game  :f_whistle:
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Dec 28, 2014 04:13:49 pm
      Few teams ahead of us drawing today, so opportunity tomorrow to close the gap. Plus with a 3pt gap between us and the next up, which is Swansea, it's a kinda mid-table 6 pointer :)

We've been harder to break down since the change to 3 CBs, but with Migs back, probably not going to inspire confidence. Also, could Can start - strange one for me if CB, but he certainly wouldn't be the first player in the side playing out of position - so BR could go that way.

Pressure again on Sterling, playing up front, not even a striker. Asking a lot of the young lad, but don't think BR can afford to rest him right now.

Big game. Again, like at Burnley, I'd settle for 3 scrappy pts right now.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #20: Dec 28, 2014 04:35:40 pm
      Rumoured team:

Mignolet – Emre Can, Škrtel, Sakho – Manquillo, Henderson, Lucas, Moreno – Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #21: Dec 28, 2014 05:12:22 pm
      Would certainly be surprising if Stevie was dropped.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #22: Dec 28, 2014 05:37:02 pm
      Rumoured team:

Mignolet – Emre Can, Škrtel, Sakho – Manquillo, Henderson, Lucas, Moreno – Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling.

It says it all when a centre mid has to move into the back 3 because your defence is that bad. I like the look of that team though. Keep Markovic fresh and have him come on from the bench then start him in the game following this one. I'd like to see Sterling possibly rested at some point over the next 2 or 3 games even though he is in my fantasy team :D

Quick Reply