Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Emre Can (Defensive Midfielder)?

Read 4749 times
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Emre Can (Defensive Midfielder)?
      Dec 28, 2014 12:28:31 am
      Interesting link on the official website regarding how Brendan Rodgers sees Emre Can's role at Anfield...
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/177044-rodgers-why-emre-s-influence-will-grow

Could seem to suggest that he will eventually be deployed as the defensive midfielder/deep-lying midfielder role that Lucas Leiva has been occupying recently.

"He played centre-half in one of the games I took in last year when I went to see him. He played there in a 4-2-3-1."
      "His favoured position is more of a defensive player, even though I've played him in an attacking role because I think that's something he can do more of. But if you asked him his profile, he likes to be in that sitting role where he can play and dictate the game as well as be physical in the challenge and duels."
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1660 
      • YNWA
      Re: Emre Can (Defensive Midfielder)?
      Reply #1: Dec 28, 2014 12:57:59 am
      Interesting link on the official website regarding how Brendan Rodgers sees Emre Can's role at Anfield...
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/177044-rodgers-why-emre-s-influence-will-grow

Could seem to suggest that he will eventually be deployed as the defensive midfielder/deep-lying midfielder role that Lucas Leiva has been occupying recently.

Haven't seen enough of him yet, but so far his game seems more like SG's than Lucas's ie. deep lying, but more creative than destructive.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,309 posts | 1520 
      Reply #2: Dec 28, 2014 01:36:54 am
      whatever his previous, we deffo need a d m with pace and tenacity sooner rather than later, so if the cap fits ! Even if its just until the end of this season, or Jan if we get another option in.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #3: Dec 28, 2014 03:00:17 am

So what else is new?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: Dec 28, 2014 07:00:45 am
      Can't see why it wouldn't work, he looks a good all rounder from what I've seen.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5: Dec 28, 2014 07:06:19 am
      Just want to see more of him. Think this is one player Brendan should have bedded into the team pretty much from the off. Fair enough he was injured for a bit. But the guy has something about him and seems a very good all rounder. After seeing some of the dross in midfield performances this season, then seeing the camera pan to him on the bench, I just face palm.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #6: Dec 28, 2014 07:14:17 am
      It's mainly why he was bought wasn't it? That and being versatile.

Yes exactly.  I'm not sure why this thread suggests that him being played at DM would be some sort of revolutionary idea.  That's like asking "should we play Coutinho as an attacking midfielder?"  Can's best position is at DM.  At Leverkusen he was utilized in a pinch in other places in a pinch, at RB for example and as a more central midfielder than at DM.

But DM is where he is best.  He's strong and fast, can get forward as we saw at Spurs, against Madrid etc.  Knows how to put in a tackle.

I would rather see Can at DM right now than Stevie or Lucas.  At least he's athletic.  On top of that he's got great skill on the ball.

Think he's got a bright future if he's allowed to play at DM, his natural position.  Let's just hope Rodgers sees that as well.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Dec 28, 2014 08:21:33 am
      Just start him please.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #8: Dec 28, 2014 08:36:21 am
      This worries me as to why he bought him, only time i saw a full game when Can played in defense was when a sh*t Moyes united put 5 past them and Can was the worst player on the pitch.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #9: Dec 28, 2014 08:58:35 am
      This worries me as to why he bought him, only time i saw a full game when Can played in defense was when a sh*t Moyes united put 5 past them and Can was the worst player on the pitch.

Funnily enough, that's what scum fans thought when we bought him.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,919 posts | 4984 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Dec 28, 2014 09:01:54 am
      I like him a lot, there is something about this kid that just says top player, I like the idea of a midfield 3 with him as DM and a in form Henderson in HIS preferred role & Morgan Sneiderlin in front of him, throw in a top keeper(Cech), and we have a great spine, can't see it happening tho, FSG won't part with the spondoolies required for Morgan or Cech,  would solve a problem or two to boot, more solid defensively, confidence from the back and better balanced going forward = progress= confidence = happy players = winning mentality = success = titles & trophies = more profit for owners= everyone's a winner baby, that was Hot Chocolate, right now we're cold porridge !

YNWA

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Dec 28, 2014 09:08:00 am

Rather ironically, Can is being linked (in the Express  :roll:) with a move to "The Chosen One"' Real Sociedad!
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #12: Dec 28, 2014 09:43:12 am
      Just want to see more of him. Think this is one player Brendan should have bedded into the team pretty much from the off. Fair enough he was injured for a bit. But the guy has something about him and seems a very good all rounder. After seeing some of the dross in midfield performances this season, then seeing the camera pan to him on the bench, I just face palm.
      If that was so easy we´d have had Manquillo, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Markovič, Lallana and Balotelli all bedded in the team already. There is continuity and evolution of the team, and then there is kamikaze footiemanager revolutionary style.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Dec 28, 2014 10:12:57 am
      If that was so easy we´d have had Manquillo, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Markovič, Lallana and Balotelli all bedded in the team already. There is continuity and evolution of the team, and then there is kamikaze footiemanager revolutionary style.

I tend to agree with that, it's a dangerous thing to make too many changes too quickly. Brendan understands the need for experience in the team to accommodate the introduction of young players into the team. It's just a pity that our experienced players aren't what they used to be.
      I do think Can should have been used more than he has to date, but it seems the majority of the players we sign seem to be intended for the following season!  :f_doh:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: Dec 28, 2014 10:34:17 am
      But... as I'm sure you'll know; he played at left back in that game [far from his best position] in a team decimated by injury so your take on him as a defensive midfield player may be somewhat distorted.  ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #15: Dec 28, 2014 10:54:54 am

Yes, and I would say with hindsight of course, both him and Lallana would have needed bedding in. Hardly Kamikaze footie manager.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #16: Dec 28, 2014 01:03:55 pm
      Can & Henderson in midfield, would love to see that happen. Only downside would be composure and passing, but we'll have a more energetic, tenacious, physical and quicker central midfield pairing than a Lucas & Gerrard.
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2014 01:22:56 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1660 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17: Dec 28, 2014 04:16:25 pm
      Can & Henderson in midfield, would love to see that happen. Only downside would be composure and passing, but we'll have a more energetic, tenacious, physical and quicker central midfield pairing than a Lucas & Gerrard.

Yea, I'd like to see those two lads in midfield too, could complement each other quite well. Can't see it happen though. For now.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #18: Dec 28, 2014 04:18:57 pm
      I think he is best suited to playing as part of a midfield 2.  I see him as our version of Matic, although still lacking a bit of experience.  Put another top CM next to him like Moutinho or Pogba and we would dominate games through our midfield again!!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #19: Dec 28, 2014 05:57:41 pm
      Too damn right he ought to be defensive midfielder - in fact, get him starting there now.

With Gerrard and Lucas constantly (to the frustration of many fans including myself) being deployed as defensive midfielders, we are letting the opposition overrun us all the time thanks to Gerrard and Lucas's lack of mobility.

Can has the pressing and mobility to help ease defensive worries and link up with attacks - Gerrard and Lucas are constantly damaging our ability to defend and attack. The odd glory ball from Gerrard in one match is quite frankly not nearly contributory enough from the captain and we need players who will contribute throughout 90 minutes. Bring him on during the latter stages when the game is stretched, that is perhaps the best impact we can hope for from Gerrard.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #20: Dec 28, 2014 08:45:36 pm
      It would be interesting to see him as the DM in a 14231 similar to Rafa's system.

Brendan's preferred system - when everyone is fit - is a 1433 or 1343 neither of which use a DM so the question is a bit redundant.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #21: Dec 28, 2014 09:48:32 pm
      It would be interesting to see him as the DM in a 14231 similar to Rafa's system.

Brendan's preferred system - when everyone is fit - is a 1433 or 1343 neither of which use a DM so the question is a bit redundant.

What are you talking about? When We play 4-3-3 we don't have a DM? I guess you haven't been watching us much, have you?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,672 posts | 887 
      Reply #22: Dec 28, 2014 10:23:44 pm

Really hard to describe our current formation. But I believe that it's closer to 523 then 343.
      Our lwb and rwb, Lazar and Hendo both look uncomfortable in their positions. Which leads to that they get caught in the middle of the pitch.
      Against burnley Lazar didn't make enough attacking runs, Hendo doesn't have the pace to make those runs without getting caught.

I don't have anything against the formation, but I believe that for those postion you really need a pacey player who can defend. Another reason to put moreno instead of Lazar as lwb.

Before you say moreno can't defend, he will do a better job defending then Lazar. Lazar in that position can't shine, because his talent lies in attack and not defend. Putting him in that position. He can't do both.

So my point is that our formation is closer to 523 then 343. Another reason why our midfield struggles. It's just how I see It tho, would love feedback on my thoughts.

Quick Reply