Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59432 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #115: Jan 02, 2015 02:05:12 pm
      I keep seeing similar phrases to this and what is the right way exactly? (not having a go or anything and apologise if that comes across in a bit of a tw*t tone)

The club has offered Stevie a contract, we've shown our intent to keep him. Stevie has decided that the contract wasn't right for him and decided to leave.

It's not as we're forcing him out the club. And as I said last night, the vast majority of our legends end their careers with other clubs. In particular the Scousers, they always seem to end elsewhere (Carra being the exception).

I'm not sure why people think this is so wrong with the way it's come about.

I agree Billy.

I actually think it is possibly the best way or 'right way' if you like.

Stevie has given his all for this club and deserves to experience something new before he finishes.

Brendan seems to struggle to use him properly now and seemed intent on flogging him to he finishes and I also think Gerrard feels his time here has come to and end and there is nothing left in his LFC tank so to speak.

Enjoy your final few years in the sunshine Stevie.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #116: Jan 02, 2015 02:07:59 pm
      Gave his prime years to us.

A true LEGEND.

Gave his all in last season.

IMHO this is best for both the parties.

zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #117: Jan 02, 2015 02:20:35 pm
      Gave his prime years to us.

A true LEGEND.

Gave his all in last season.

IMHO this is best for both the parties.

xxxxx:action-smiley-065: :drinking: :hug: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, this will be the best.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #118: Jan 02, 2015 02:24:30 pm
      Forget for a minute that his legs have gone.
      Gerrard is the best player of his generation.

Short memories on here.
      Bet the Gerrard Final means nothing to some.

Ball Bag if you come on here to have a go at Gerrard based on his legs going.

At his best he had no equal.

YNWA

Ball bag is a F***ing complement mate describing critics of your man.
      SG's pins have been knackered out serving his club unflinchingly for two decades, he has carried the team on occasion with a very successful international career to his credit, sometimes being called up when not fully fit.
      People's knowledge of the club and the player has to be scrutinised before any criticism can be taken seriously.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 516 
      Reply #119: Jan 02, 2015 02:25:25 pm
      One of our all time greats obviously. Sad to see him go, not least cos I think he could still have given us another couple of seasons - 34 isn't that old and his fitness is still high imo.

Hope he doesn't to go the States - go to Germany or Italy Stevie, and somebody'll find a role for you that you can play til your late 30s no problem.

Anyway, whatever you do, YNWA.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #120: Jan 02, 2015 02:29:18 pm
      Was inevitable this day would come eventually, truly one of the greatest players to have ever worn the Liverpool Shirt, in his pomp he was easily one of the top ten players in world footballl and that's saying something when his career has coincided with the likes of Henry, Viera, Figo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Messi, Xavi etc.

I don't think you can overstate that Daz.

This kid could do everything and I truly believe he is cruelly under-rated outside LFC fans in the UK and particularly England where the media obsession with Wayne Rooney has often obscured the shimmering jewel they already had.

Personally - I hope he goes to Bayern. I couldn't bear to see him in anything other than RED! Even if it's not proper red.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #121: Jan 02, 2015 02:35:57 pm
      One of our all time greats obviously. Sad to see him go, not least cos I think he could still have given us another couple of seasons - 34 isn't that old and his fitness is still high imo.

Hope he doesn't to go the States - go to Germany or Italy Stevie, and somebody'll find a role for you that you can play til your late 30s no problem.

Anyway, whatever you do, YNWA.

Agree. Going to USA is a waste. He's better than that. I suppose he'll never line up against Liverpool though is what it may come down to. Personally I would have liked to see him do the Lampard role. 20-30 minutes as a sub making an impact. That would have been a win-win scenario IMO. Past his best we all know, but good enough to turn a game when necessary.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #123: Jan 02, 2015 02:46:53 pm
      If Gerrard is finding it tough this season, if it looks like his legs have gone, if he's struggling to keep up with the pace of the game, there's a good reason for that.

It is because he left his legs his heart and his everything on the pitch last season and because he carried us for so long over the years.

Even if your replacement only does half as well as you did, he'd still be a club legend; you were that good.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #125: Jan 02, 2015 03:03:03 pm
      'Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Lionel Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be,'- Zinedine Zidane
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,403 posts | 203 
      Reply #126: Jan 02, 2015 03:04:18 pm
      Gerrrard is finding it tough because his own have turned against him, no other reason Rush

Still our best cm, our loss not his

Far better than any other cm bar maybe can. Nobody else can even pass for Christ sake, sure they can run but football is played with the ball, remember that

So many owe him an apology
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #127: Jan 02, 2015 03:12:26 pm
      I think this sums it up nicely

Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,602 posts | 139 
      Reply #128: Jan 02, 2015 03:22:03 pm
      Thank you Stevie for everything :f_wah: . I was expecting him stay in the club and until he retire and then given a management job in the club, the important thing is the club need to have a world class replacement for him not shitty delph or any overrated mid table player. The club lost all of his most world class players after Suarez now it's Gerrard. 
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,602 posts | 139 
      Reply #129: Jan 02, 2015 03:31:01 pm
      and also a big F**k OFF for any ungrateful tw*t who just neglect what Stevie has done to this club, yes he has been sh*t this year but how many times he saved us and scored many crucial goals and importantly he stayed loyal to the club despite the fact that many giants were dreaming to have him. Yes I might moan and slag off the manager and the owners but they are some limits and Gerard is one of them because he's a legend and he should be treated as one of our true legend. sad F***ing day the club need to make a massive F***ing big signing and Gerard replacement should be World class.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #130: Jan 02, 2015 03:52:28 pm
      Although I knew this day had to come, I dreaded hearing he was going. Now that day is here and I cannot imagine this club without him.
      Will we ever see his like again, I doubt it. Let's just enjoy his final months with us, and I hope he can lift another trophy or two.
      Thankyou Steven, for all that you have done. It's not goodbye because I have no doubt you will be back here one day. Just remember YNWA.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #131: Jan 02, 2015 03:52:39 pm
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 984 posts | 65 
      Reply #132: Jan 02, 2015 04:12:42 pm
      Gerrard shirt On the wall and will always hang there as long as I am around on this planet.
      I hope he comes back to work in some way at the club in the future because it won't be the same without him around .
      Thank you Steven , you are a legend .
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #133: Jan 02, 2015 04:30:14 pm
      Good luck on your future endeavors Stevie. In my opinion you are the greatest player to have ever worn the shirt. The night in Istanbul alone was one of my life happiest night (along with the birth of my kids).
      Thanks for the great memories! YNWA!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #134: Jan 02, 2015 04:30:33 pm
      Gutted. :(
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #135: Jan 02, 2015 04:36:12 pm
      and also a big F**k OFF for any ungrateful tw*t who just neglect what Stevie has done to this club, ...

Can you guys f**king grow up...?!?

No one is giving Gerrard any stick. The issue is squarely with the gaffer. He chooses the team not Gerrard. Gerrard is a competitor who loves the club and wants to play every game, whether on form or not.

Please stop twisting the meaning of what some of us are saying.

One cannot be a Reds fan and not adulate Stevie.

However, one needs to always think of what is best for Liverpool which is what Gerrard has done all his playing days for us. Stevie does not pick the team. Brendan does and he has not a mediocre job thus far.

Gerrard is a legend, and of.

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #136: Jan 02, 2015 05:06:23 pm
      I wonder what we offered him in relation to his current contract, I bet it wasnt even half.

Nearer a third apparently.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #137: Jan 02, 2015 05:26:03 pm

Quick Reply