Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59471 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #230: Jan 03, 2015 05:28:59 pm
      I'm currently on my phone so it's not the easiest way to start searching and posting quotes etc but didn't Rodgers basically say he was desperate for him to stay or along those lines? If this is the case then it makes me question further just how much control Rodgers has at the club because surely he could have just said that he should be given the contract he wants or at least get a contract that works for both the player and club?

I know Gerrard will say it's about a new experience and to have no regrets but do you honestly believe that? Why would he have ditched playing for England for any other reason than to prolong his career with us?

It will all come out one day but IMO there is a lot more to this than how simple Gerrard is putting it.

I expect he will end up at LA Galaxy and at least he will finally win a league title I guess.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #231: Jan 03, 2015 05:44:06 pm
      It's not controversial, it's idiotic.

If he was more bothered about money he would have fu**ed off years ago to Madrid or Chelsea where he could have become one of the highest paid players around.

I think if you engaged your mind, you would probably realise it's more to do with the length of time offered on the contract. He's at the end of his career, made million and millions and stayed loyal to this club throughout so why would he now all of a sudden be hunting a massive pay check when he could have gotten that years ago.

I think he may well have stayed a bit longer under certain conditions, but it looks to me like he had the choice of staying here and playing a more peripheral role in the team as time went by, perhaps on reduced wages, or the chance to play regularly and earn silly money in sunny LA. If we had offered him more money, or a longer contract, he may have stayed, and the same may be true if they offered him less money or a shorter contract. It's quite different from when he was at his peak and was the first name on the team sheet every week.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #232: Jan 03, 2015 06:17:39 pm
      Derby Goal 2001 post 9/11 - edge of the area strike then running away taking the piss out of the blues in the bullens and paddock.

My favourite that HUYTON.

Get shivers everytime I see that even all these years later.

Without question the best player I've ever seen in a red shirt (only old enough to remember Kenny's latter years).
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #233: Jan 03, 2015 06:19:13 pm
      Stevie leaving is greed pure and simple, now whether that is right or wrong is for each person to decide, I have no major issue with it myself but don't kid yourselves, he was offered a lot of money to go to the MLS and said yes please.

Thanks for all the memories Stevie, a true LFC hero.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #234: Jan 03, 2015 06:21:00 pm
      Stevie leaving is greed pure and simple, now whether that is right or wrong is for each person to decide, I have no major issue with it myself but don't kid yourselves, he was offered a lot of money to go to the MLS and said yes please.

Thanks for all the memories Stevie, a true LFC hero.

You and Federer should get a room
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #235: Jan 03, 2015 06:22:08 pm
      F**k....Now i have too watch SG play with Landon Donovan, the biggest douche in Football.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #236: Jan 03, 2015 06:25:42 pm
      Stuck with us through thick and thin. Not just that, but he was a local hero in the true sense of the word - his donations to the Hillsborough campaign and his superman performance in the greatest match of all time, amongst many others.

He goes, and we lose a lot of our identity - until we can unearth a new local hero. This really is a watershed moment in the history of the club. So sad - I really thought he'd stay on as a coach. I wish Carragher and Stevie were coaches at the club. We need their presence more than ever.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #237: Jan 03, 2015 06:42:26 pm
      F**k....Now i have too watch SG play with Landon Donovan, the biggest douche in Football.

I thought he retired? :O
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #238: Jan 03, 2015 06:45:37 pm
      ‘I have said in the past that at his peak he was the best in the world,’ said Zidane.

‘I think it was the summer of 2004 I was having a conversation with Florentino (Perez) and I told him I wanted him to partner me in midfield for Madrid.

‘I know the club tried twice but he wouldn’t leave Liverpool. Not many players turn down Real Madrid but I think that tells you a lot about the loyalty of the man.’

‘It is incredible he has never won a league title but he has had success with Liverpool,’ continued Zidane. ‘The years of him winning trophies are not behind him. I am sure he will be very successful in the MLS.’

Our friend Zidane on Gerrard again :D
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #239: Jan 03, 2015 06:48:17 pm
      I still believe the club made a mess of this BUT his interview today (see link) suggests the decision was motivated by the thought of spending more and more time on the pitch and the difficulty of becoming a bit part player. Of course we might hear more about it in the years to come but if the skipper says that is the reason then that will do for me rather than bickering about with all and sundry in here.

In the mean time I'd love to see him have an absolute stormer of a second half of the season and get us over the line for 4th place and perhaps another League Cup win to top off an incredible career.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2895582/Steven-Gerrard-wish-met-Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-24-won-lot-titles.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #240: Jan 03, 2015 06:52:57 pm
      In the mean time I'd love to see him have an absolute stormer of a second half of the season and get us over the line for 4th place and perhaps another League Cup win to top off an incredible career.

Would be amazing to go full circle and win all 3 cups, wouldn't it?
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #241: Jan 03, 2015 07:00:07 pm
      Would be amazing to go full circle and win all 3 cups, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure we have the defensive capabilities to be what I would call a good cup side but ya never know! I think the League Cup is our best chance
      OohAhh
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #242: Jan 03, 2015 07:09:07 pm
      Message from a United Fan.

Will only post the once so dont worry I wont be here cramping your style.

Just wanted to say that I for one will miss Gerrard. I have been lucky enough to see United vs Liverpool at home and away and have always enjoyed watching Gerrard play. His passion, his awareness, his loyalty and that thunderbolt of a shot. He scored so many good goals in so many big games that as a football fan it was hard not to appreciate him.
         In an age where loyalty means nothing and money rules were were really privileged to be able to sit back and watch players like Gerrard, Jamie Carra, Giggs, scholes play for their club and shirt for so many years. Also as a father of two boys Gerrard is exactly the kind of role model you want in a football player. No nonsence but never dirty and a family man off the pitch who stays off the front pages. Good luck to him in the US I am sure he will be able to play for a few more years to come and probably even get himself that title ;).
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #243: Jan 03, 2015 07:09:26 pm
      I'm not sure we have the defensive capabilities to be what I would call a good cup side but ya never know! I think the League Cup is our best chance

Double header against Chelsea and that's our best chance, fecking hell, we're doomed!! ;-)
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #244: Jan 03, 2015 07:22:51 pm
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2015 10:09:55 pm by JD »
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #245: Jan 03, 2015 07:38:21 pm
      Double header against Chelsea and that's our best chance, fecking hell, we're doomed!! ;-)

Yeah you are probably right! Least we're in the semi though, just a shame it's a two legged affair as anything can happen in a one off match. Shame we couldn't have drawn Spurs or the other no names
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #246: Jan 03, 2015 07:40:46 pm
      Eh?  When did I say that?  I am saying he does want a raise.

But where are you getting this information from? I think he would probably take the same again personally or perhaps a few quid less. Will still be more than he gets offered to play in the states.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #247: Jan 03, 2015 08:07:23 pm
      But where are you getting this information from? I think he would probably take the same again personally or perhaps a few quid less. Will still be more than he gets offered to play in the states.

He isn't getting any information from anywhere.
      It's all made up I've being waiting for this ITK to unveil his source,but,alas it isn't forthcoming .

Utter bollocks.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #248: Jan 03, 2015 08:08:30 pm
      Off to LA Galaxy it would appear.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #249: Jan 03, 2015 08:12:49 pm
      Twitter reports saying its LA Galaxy, 18 month deal on $6M a year
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #250: Jan 03, 2015 08:20:50 pm
      Not one for Machiavellian conspiracies with all this.
      Don't get me wrong he's a hero and legend(insert superlative )but he obviously wants to start every game but Brendan knows he can't and he try's to placate him by playing him every other game and it doesn't work and we all get wound up (and breath).

Very sad but can't begrudge him anything 17 yrs of incredible service stunning goals and dragging us kicking and screaming to the miracle of 2005.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #251: Jan 03, 2015 08:27:45 pm
      I still believe the club made a mess of this BUT his interview today (see link) suggests the decision was motivated by the thought of spending more and more time on the pitch and the difficulty of becoming a bit part player. Of course we might hear more about it in the years to come but if the skipper says that is the reason then that will do for me rather than bickering about with all and sundry in here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2895582/Steven-Gerrard-wish-met-Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-24-won-lot-titles.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Yup. I'll take Stevie at his word on it. Hopefully Federer will now shut the F**k up about wages...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,322 posts | 1524 
      Reply #252: Jan 03, 2015 08:29:26 pm
      I think if Brendan had used him in a bit part, either starting or coming on after 50 - 60 mins, in an attacking C mid role, he may have stayed. I think it was inevitable he wouldn't play 90 for ever, but being DM, I think his effectiveness on a game was limited. I'm thinking, had he been able to make a bigger impact on games, he may have stayed a while longer.
       Only my opinion though.
      As that isn't the case, good luck in the states Stevie, hope you take it by storm. Show them what quality is really all about. And thanks for the memories, they can never be taken away !

Quick Reply