Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59437 times
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #23: Jan 01, 2015 11:41:20 pm
      He is a legend, the best player I have seen play the game. He will truly be missed.

I have been planning a trip to Anfield, now will definitely get there before the end of the season. I want to see Stevie G. play at Anfield.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #24: Jan 01, 2015 11:42:14 pm
      Since 2013, I've been thinking about what would happen if Gerrard wasn't with LFC. I didn't want to think about, but I just had to. I thought it many many times. I've been thinking what would be the + and - . So I'm a bit prepared for news like this.

But it's always sad when a legend stop/leaves LFC. He was absolutely brilliant I'm gutted he never won a league title with LFC. I hope he'll enjoy his life in USA and I'll always support him. Like I'll with LFC. I hope he can win a title in USA, it won't feel as good as with LFC but it's something. Hopefully LFC will hire Gerrard as a trainer so he can win the league title with LFC. He was 1 of the reasons i started supporting LFC and I can never repay him.

YNWA
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #25: Jan 01, 2015 11:43:50 pm
      Who was there when I failed my driving test? who was there when I didn't get into med school? who was there when I had my first heart break? Stevie G, Gerrard with his goals and performances, always there to lift me up when I hit rock bottom and inspire me. Thank you for helping me through my saddest moments in life. Thank you for giving me so many of the happiest moments in my life. Thank you, King Gerrard.

Best player I have seen in a red shirt. Legend. YNWA.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #26: Jan 01, 2015 11:48:54 pm
      One of the greatest players the club has produced, 695 games in a red shirt, unbelievable. Brilliant player, has scored some incredible goals in huge games, produces when it counts. Incredibly loyal to the club over the years, red through and through. Will be a wrench to see him leave, but IF he does in fact leave I reckon it's because he feels there's more left in the tank, just maybe not at the standard he has set for himself over the years in a red shirt. Also think he might feel it's best for the team ie. make a clean break at season end, so that the club has to replace him - free up a place the club SHOULD fill with a good signing.

Must be huge decision for him. The club has been his life for so many years. He's so loved by the fans. Part of the fabric of the place. But at the end of the day, he might prefer to burn out and not fade away - give it everything for the next 5 months, then say farewells.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27: Jan 02, 2015 12:06:36 am
      THNK YOU, All the best skipper.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #28: Jan 02, 2015 12:08:01 am
      This shouldn't be happening. Like all Liverpool greats, he should be finishing his playing days here, where he belongs.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #29: Jan 02, 2015 12:10:49 am
      Steven Gerrard.

And could he play.....
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #30: Jan 02, 2015 12:15:46 am
      This shouldn't be happening. Like all Liverpool greats, he should be finishing his playing days here, where he belongs.

Let the man live his life ffs
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #31: Jan 02, 2015 12:20:36 am
      You know what...good.

Not good that he's leaving, he's arguably the greatest player to ever wear the Liverpool shirt but good that's it done and dusted. No more worrying about it. He's going and finally the time has come for the club to move on.

Without doubt the greatest player I've ever seen. And I will always love Steven Gerrard as a player, he has been responsible for some of the greatest memories in my life. The joy I seen when he cleared the ball off the line against Everton when he was a kid, was the same joy I felt when he did it. The absolute happiness in his face after his first goal at Wednesday was how any Liverpool fan would act. There's too many good time memories with Stevie to name them all.

It's going to be a huge void to fill for whoever is given the responsibility but we must not expect them to be Steven Gerrard because there is only one Steven Gerrard. Stevie, I love you and thank you for the happiness you've given me as a fan of this great club. I may have criticised you recently (maybe even today) but you will always go down as the greatest player I've ever seen, not only for Liverpool Football Club but in the entire world.

Truth be told, I don't care how you get on with whatever club you go to next as I only follow Liverpool but I offer you nothing but heartfelt love on your time here. I hope to see you back in some capacity some day.

Thank you Stevie.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #32: Jan 02, 2015 12:23:54 am
      Mr Liverpool

With Carra gone the Scouse DNA is lost .

Amazing career .

Just so upset he didn't get the title .

As a Huyton lad  there are no words I can say at the moment to describe how I feel.

redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #33: Jan 02, 2015 12:28:51 am
      Stevie walks on water as far as all LFC fans are concerned - he always will.  What a footballer!
      The new era beckons, lets embrace it. Forward LFC.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #34: Jan 02, 2015 12:30:11 am
      Wherever he goes Captain Fantastic's heart and spirit will always be at Liverpool FC.

Farewell Stevie. YNWA.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #35: Jan 02, 2015 12:31:50 am

He's been forced out you Muppet. I remember when our club legends saw out their playing days. Obviously his complete loyalty means nothing to you. Given the CHOICE, he'd choose Liverpool over MLS...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #36: Jan 02, 2015 12:36:16 am
      At the end of the day he's a local lad who dealt in proper Roy Of The Rovers moments.

He captained the club on our greatest ever night and can stand alongside any of our greats from eras gone by.

Thanks for the memories Steven.

He's been forced out you Muppet. I remember when our club legends saw out their playing days. Obviously his complete loyalty means nothing to you. Given the CHOICE, he'd choose Liverpool over MLS...

When did legends see out their playing days? Only one's come to my mind would be Dalglish, Hansen, Smith and Carra - can't think of many others

Our most successful manager once said "let players grow old on other team's pitches"

Have you ever thought the best thing for the team might be Gerrard leaving - our best performance at home this season was against Swansea were Gerrard didn't play and we looked a better team without him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #37: Jan 02, 2015 12:36:48 am
      Let's keep this thread about the skipper and not turn it into petty fighting eh gents?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #38: Jan 02, 2015 12:37:26 am
      I remember when our club legends saw out their playing days.

Like who lad?

Ian Callaghan joined Swansea before calling it a day. Tommy Smith ended up there as well. Phil Thompson had a spell at Sheffield United. Ian Rush was moved on to Leeds. Robbie Fowler was moved on to Leeds as well. Clemo moved to Spurs. Brucie moved to Saints. Emlyn Hughes moved to Wolves. Phil Neal moved to Bolton. Roger Hunt ended up at Bolton as well. Sami Hyypia moved onto Germany an all.

So basically Kenny, Carra and Jocky.

Most of the time, our legends leave for pastures new at the end of their career.
      Bosnian_Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #39: Jan 02, 2015 12:41:18 am
      To be honest, never thought this day will come. The most amazing player ever to wear the red jersey and I am absolutely gutted to see him leave.

I was hoping he could stay for another two seasons maybe and then retire, but then maybe he is up for a new challenge. Just can't imagine seeing him in another jersey. Even at 34, he is still one of the greatest passers in the league but I guess that he wants to move on.

Don't see anyone filling his void anytime soon.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #40: Jan 02, 2015 12:44:35 am
      Sad day for Liverpool FC, and the Premier League. Thanks for all the memories Stevie.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #41: Jan 02, 2015 12:44:41 am
      Remember that goal against the mancs at Anfield? Past Fabulous Barthez?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #42: Jan 02, 2015 12:45:21 am
      Gutted. Always believed he'd end his career with us with him being used in a more sparing capacity as time went by, but I can see why that might not be regarded as a fitting end for such a legend. Perhaps this decision makes it easier for the manager not having to deal with the selection dilemma as well.

Nevertheless, it's been an absolute privilege to have been around to see him play. You don't so much realise it at the time as when you've reflected and considered the impact he's had: the trophies we might not have won, the nights we may never have had, the thrill, the joy, the ecstasy of so many moments that he did so much to create, that might never have been, but for this kid bursting onto the scene and coming to establish himself as the beating heart of the team.

He was at the centre of our greatest triumphs for a decade, captained us to the greatest ever night in this club's history, and, despite all the riches on offer, stayed with us through all the seasons and all the sh!t that befell us. For that, and everything he's done for the club, he will be remembered and talked about down the generations as a player who changed our fortunes in a way that few others ever could. A true legend.

Cheers, Stevie.

p.s. think we can even forgive if you join that sh*t American league. You've earned it!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #43: Jan 02, 2015 12:47:09 am

Christ mate can you imagine trying to decide on a top three of his goals!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #44: Jan 02, 2015 12:48:31 am

I remember :D what a lovely goal!!

How about that goal vs Marseille in the champions league? one of my fave goals ever!
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #45: Jan 02, 2015 12:52:00 am
      Even though it was to be expected it still hasn't really sunk in yet.

I am 36 so have followed him since he broke into the team and he is an absolute legend - a King amongst Kings.

It feels like a death in the family - feeling rather sombre right now with my coffee in my hand as I write this.  :(

Quick Reply