Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59456 times
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts | 278 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #46: Jan 02, 2015 12:52:45 am
      Such a great shame we couldn't have held on last season for the league, if anyone deserved it he did closely followed by Carra. Stevie could have stayed another year but look at it from both parties, Stevie will get a last massive pay day in the MLS playing in a league which is miles away from PL standard and what a lifestyle if it happens to be LA Galaxy ( not that money will be his reason ) and the club can't pay top dollar for a player who has unfortunately seen his best days....sad but if wasn't happening now it would only be another 12 months off anyway. LFC'S greatest I reckon.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #47: Jan 02, 2015 12:55:22 am
      Christ mate can you imagine trying to decide on a top three of his goals!!

Impossible.
      jmartin96
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #48: Jan 02, 2015 12:56:59 am
      Just joined the forum today, didn't think it would be on such a poignant and sad day for the club and us supporters. Thank you Steven Gerrard for everything you've done for the club and how many times you've pulled it out of the bag and sent us supporters to school or work the next day happy! I've only ever known Liverpool teams that had you at the heart of them!

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Steven Gerrard You'll Never Walk Alone
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #49: Jan 02, 2015 12:57:00 am

Mine for starters!!

Fa Cup Final equaliser vs West Ham just as the board goes up for four minutes of stoppage time.

Derby Goal 2001 post 9/11 - edge of the area strike then running away taking the piss out of the blues in the bullens and paddock.

Goal vs Middlesbrough premier league game at Anfield around 2006 or 2007 screamer from just outside of the box right hand/main stand side smashing in opposite corner of the kop goal.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #50: Jan 02, 2015 12:59:55 am
      Mine for starters!!

Fa Cup Final equaliser vs West Ham just as the board goes up for four minutes of stoppage time.

Derby Goal 2001 post 9/11 - edge of the area strike then running away taking the piss out of the blues in the bullens and paddock.

Goal vs Middlesbrough premier league game at Anfield around 2006 or 2007 screamer from just outside of the box right hand/main stand side smashing in opposite corner of the kop goal.

Olympiakos at Anfield - I was crying  :f_wah:

Followed closely by WHU in the FACup Final

Hat-trick against Everton and when Luis laid the final one on a plate for him

GREAT MEMORIES  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #51: Jan 02, 2015 01:01:51 am
      Olympiakos at Anfield - I was crying

Was bouncing around the kop like a F***ing loon, but it wouldn't get in my top three.

Mine are all Huyton Hammer strikes  ;)
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #52: Jan 02, 2015 01:10:50 am
      Was gonna happen eventually, as gutted as I thought I would be, feel privileged to have watched him play so many times, as close a man to Roy of the Rovers I have ever seen.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #53: Jan 02, 2015 01:22:42 am
      The West Ham goal was sensational the reaction from Pardew too the shrug of the shoulders.  He just did the impossible.  When we were  in trouble there was one man that could change the course of game in single moment. 
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #54: Jan 02, 2015 01:40:11 am
      A real Roy of the Rovers character for Liverpool. His like will not be seen again in the modern game the way it has been corrupted by money.

A truly great player for the club and a Scouser who lived his dream. He cannot but be proud when he plays his last game at Anfield and the farewell will be befitting of his great service.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #55: Jan 02, 2015 02:01:37 am
      A legend of the club. One of our best ever players and could have played in any team we've ever put out.

Fully expected this announcement at the start of this month but doesn't lessen the impact.

Timing probably about right IMO. Hope he enjoys his phased retirement in the MLS ;)
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #56: Jan 02, 2015 02:40:54 am
       :'( :'(...

As I´m writing this I honestly feel my eyes watering.Steven Gerrard is the single footballer I most respect.His commitment,his passion,his desire,his drive,his honesty,his professionalism.A true gentleman of the game.Old school.Like many of you have posted,how he stuck with us through the highs (which he always had a hand in),and the lows.He could have gone anywhere this man,but he stayed,he fought,he endured,he drove us on.

Regardless of wether I believe he should stay with us,at least for 2 or 1 more seasons,because I believe that he,like Lampard,is not done yet,I´ll just dedicate this to honor the man.We might probably never again see a man of his abilities,but much much less,a man of his honor,a man to respect.A one-club player.Not in this money-driven day-and-age.I still hope this is not real,but if it is,thank you Steven Gerrard,you are a prince amongst men.

Steven Gerrard,You´ll Never Walk Alone  ;D
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #57: Jan 02, 2015 02:56:30 am
      F***ing gutted!

Even though the day was inevitable it's difficult to accept.

"There goes my hero, watch him as he goes"

YNWA Stevie, thanks for everything!!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #58: Jan 02, 2015 04:08:47 am
      Very glad to hear this, I don't want to see the decline and also want to see us move forward. He isn't even 40% the player he was, this isn't a retirement home.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #59: Jan 02, 2015 05:41:18 am
      Just thinking what if he had had players of his own class around him throughout his whole career at Anfield. He reminds me so much of Billy Liddell in the way he has had to carry the team.
      xabi_loper
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #60: Jan 02, 2015 05:47:44 am
      When luis gone last summer with no proper replacement, i think stevie has made this decision.. Our owner and manager didn't have the same ambition as stevie had. In his age, he still has loyalty, passion, and ambition to take the only club he's ever love to move forward, but the owner ruined his dream. Sad how I imagine the most greatest servant for this club will leave in that condition. Before last summer windows, I imagine stevie would give all of his ability with the same passion as when he started to play for this club for one or two season, and as a last gift for him, the owner and manager improve the team for him. And then we all finally can see him lift the BPL trophy. That's the happy ending for him and fans. Not at this condition, f"""king sad.   
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #61: Jan 02, 2015 06:43:33 am
      A year too soon IMHO and hastened by ill judged silliness in the media, fuelled I'm saddened to say by some of our own supporters on phone ins and forums. Lampard never was as good a player and is two years older, but you only have to look at what he is doing to see what might have been.

A huge loss but the man owes LFC nothing. Only when he's gone will many realise how truly great he was.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #62: Jan 02, 2015 07:22:38 am
      Bombshell - what a thing to wake up to..!

However, at 34 it was going to happen this season or next so its not totally out of the blue. But what a player, honestly I don't think we will see an all round player to his ability in a long time. Passing, Shooting, Vision, Desire, Hunger, Passion, Tackling, Pace, Finishing & Creativity - he had the bloody lot and ran through walls some days here.

He will totally dominate the MLS if he goes there and could get 4 to 6 years of playing IMO.

He, as many have said owes us nothing and to be honest watching him decline in a red shirt as his career comes to an end would be worse than hearing about him battering teams in another far away land...
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,635 posts | 129 
      Reply #63: Jan 02, 2015 07:38:33 am
      He, as many have said owes us nothing and to be honest watching him decline in a red shirt as his career comes to an end would be worse than hearing about him battering teams in another far away land...

Would have liked it so him retire in the red shirt like Carra. This doesn't feel right.

Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts | 278 
      Reply #64: Jan 02, 2015 07:44:29 am
      This wouldn, t have been the main reason but I wonder what we offered him in relation to his current contract, I bet it wasnt even half.
      Good on Stevie if he gets a bumper deal in US he deserves it, im gutted for him about not winning the league, kenny was the king but Stevie played with some dire players around him at times and still shone, he carried usfor years.
      Great marketing for the MLS, I never thought id watch that league but I will if he plays.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #65: Jan 02, 2015 07:47:48 am
      Would have liked it so him retire in the red shirt like Carra. This doesn't feel right.

I can see that - and I agree to a point... But to watch him go out there each and every week surrounded by dross is heart breaking - you can see he isn't loving it either..!

Personally, I think the man deserves more - 4 years in the US where he can enjoy his football will be a great way to end his time playing. Where he can walk down the street without being hassled, where the fans and media wont be all over him and he can enjoy life and his job - also New York is not a bad place to live!

Over there he can take his badges to become a manager and return to win the one thing we have been missing for the last 20 years...
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts | 278 
      Reply #66: Jan 02, 2015 07:58:54 am
      I can see that - and I agree to a point... But to watch him go out there each and every week surrounded by dross is heart breaking - you can see he isn't loving it either..!

Personally, I think the man deserves more - 4 years in the US where he can enjoy his football will be a great way to end his time playing. Where he can walk down the street without being hassled, where the fans and media wont be all over him and he can enjoy life and his job - also New York is not a bad place to live!

Over there he can take his badges to become a manager and return to win the one thing we have been missing for the last 20 years...

Thats a great point the combined blow of missing out on the league last year and our poor showing this year, recruitment etc. he may think that he is flogging a dead horse.
      I dont know but he is a fan like us and will be equally as gutted probably more so.
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 38 
      Reply #67: Jan 02, 2015 08:01:55 am
      Absolutely gutted as too early IMO. Still had more to offer the team in the right position.

What an absolute legend though!

Thanks for all the memories over those years. F**k knows where we'd have been without you!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #68: Jan 02, 2015 08:34:26 am
      Olympiakos .... I nearly shat. He ruled Europe untouchable in his prime.
      One of our greats? All time greats!!

Quick Reply