Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59260 times
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #69: Jan 02, 2015 08:36:28 am
      Sad day,on his day unstoppable,he has played some amazing games for us,but for me Istanbul is the stand out,truly inspirational 2nd half,thanks for the memories.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #70: Jan 02, 2015 08:36:54 am
      The hypocrites calling for his head time and time again shouldn't post on this thread. Makes me want to throw up.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #71: Jan 02, 2015 08:46:19 am
      This is not right, he should be ending his career with us

Damn those little new age dipsticks who keep on following a bandwagon when others were playing worse than him

They should not be posting in here

Adios Gerrard, the heart and soul of the club has died, I hope some of you are happy. You forced him out

He deserved better than this and now we have to watch Lucas and hendo in cm, Christ.

A true legend of the club. Still our best cm and forever our greatest
      Thanks for the memories and for not reacting when your own turned against you

This is just heart breaking, dare I say The scum give much better support to their legends like they did for giggs and scholes, this is no way to treat a legend
      xabi_loper
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #72: Jan 02, 2015 08:46:49 am
      Thats a great point the combined blow of missing out on the league last year and our poor showing this year, recruitment etc. he may think that he is flogging a dead horse.
      I dont know but he is a fan like us and will be equally as gutted probably more so.

I do think so, He want to win the league with this club, I'm very sure about that. If that's not true, he probably had gone to chelsea a few years ago.

At the age of 34 this year, the manager is still relying on him to carry this club passing through hard times like this, without the likes of Carra, Hyypia, Torres, Xabi, or Suarez callibre on his side.

If we can give him that callibre player last summer, I think he will stay with us until he can lift the BPL trophy. Gave him Cesc, Cech, Alexis, and shaqiri last summer than I'm sure he will be happy to impact the team like lampard does in City.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #73: Jan 02, 2015 09:03:54 am

Likewise Steven, I (we) certainly, have been privileged to have witnessed your illustrious career from start to finish and have cherished every second of it.

Football won't be the same without you.

oneinamillion.com.lfc
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 09:15:32 am by Beerbelly »
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #74: Jan 02, 2015 09:09:13 am
      So, a sad farewell to a legend of a player who so richly deserved more from his time with LFC. Bye-bye also to the clubs current bastion and a massive part of LFC's identity. I'd imagine shirt sales will also fall dramatically.

IMO definitely would have stayed had the same kind of progress been made. As it is.....after so many false dawns, how many times could he really con himself that this will be the year?

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #75: Jan 02, 2015 09:18:46 am
      He was really unlucky not to win the league, last year and the year when we won 4-1 at OT, that 0-0 draw against Stoke still haunts me to this day, with a goal wrongly dissallowed, Macheda scoring for the scum in the 6th minute of 4 added against Villa.

He was unlucky that oil rich arabs got City and made them a power also, that the russian magnate bought Chelsea and turned them into a power, i'm sure we would have won the league at least 2 times if not for these circumstances.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #76: Jan 02, 2015 09:26:46 am
      Thanks Stevie. It will blew up in our faces this decision as the team has no leader whatsoever to get the players around him and so on. Those scapegoating him are deluded as Brendan fu**ed up big time by playing him in a position he hasnt played in 10 years and which requires alot of stamina and energy, you won't see Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes or Lampard deployed in such a demanding position. Sad that he goes in these conditions.

I think you will be right George pretty much how I see it.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #77: Jan 02, 2015 09:31:33 am
      I'm genuinely struggling to find the right words to describe exactly how I feel right now and you know what? There aren't any; they don't exist. Maybe later.  :-\
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #78: Jan 02, 2015 09:32:22 am
      He was really unlucky not to win the league, last year and the year when we won 4-1 at OT, that 0-0 draw against Stoke still haunts me to this day, with a goal wrongly dissallowed, Macheda scoring for the scum in the 6th minute of 4 added against Villa.

He was unlucky that oil rich arabs got City and made them a power also, that the russian magnate bought Chelsea and turned them into a power, i'm sure we would have won the league at least 2 times if not for these circumstances.

Or a shocking indictment as to how badly LFC has been run for the last decade?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #79: Jan 02, 2015 09:43:53 am
      :'(
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #80: Jan 02, 2015 09:46:19 am
      Im gutted

These days always come but I can't help feeling that this isn't the right way

I can't find the words to thank him enough right now so I'll leave it until I can

But Steven.. The pleasure has been all ours trust me on that
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #81: Jan 02, 2015 09:49:39 am
      Football can be ruthless, and for every player there's that moment when it's time to move on.

Privileged to witness arguably not only the best Liverpool player ever, but also for two seasons, the best player on the planet (ask Zidane).

Very best of Luck Stevie. I hope you win a league title wherever that may be; you more than deserve it.

Thanks for some awesome memories and some of the best goals I've seen.

"Ohhhhh you beauty - what a hit son, what, a, hit!"
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #82: Jan 02, 2015 09:52:29 am
      but I can't help feeling that this isn't the right way

I keep seeing similar phrases to this and what is the right way exactly? (not having a go or anything and apologise if that comes across in a bit of a tw*t tone)

The club has offered Stevie a contract, we've shown our intent to keep him. Stevie has decided that the contract wasn't right for him and decided to leave.

It's not as we're forcing him out the club. And as I said last night, the vast majority of our legends end their careers with other clubs. In particular the Scousers, they always seem to end elsewhere (Carra being the exception).

I'm not sure why people think this is so wrong with the way it's come about.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #83: Jan 02, 2015 09:56:16 am
      Isn't Houllier at NY Red Bulls in some major capacity? He could go there. Especially with Henry leaving.

Hope not though. Tim Cahill (c**t) doesn't deserve to be playing alongside him.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #84: Jan 02, 2015 09:57:07 am
      I keep seeing similar phrases to this and what is the right way exactly? (not having a go or anything and apologise if that comes across in a bit of a tw*t tone)

The club has offered Stevie a contract, we've shown our intent to keep him. Stevie has decided that the contract wasn't right for him and decided to leave.

It's not as we're forcing him out the club. And as I said last night, the vast majority of our legends end their careers with other clubs. In particular the Scousers, they always seem to end elsewhere (Carra being the exception).

I'm not sure why people think this is so wrong with the way it's come about.

I'm not suggesting he is being forced out. Didn't say that

Just said that it doesn't feel quite right, the whole thing. As I said I'm not sure why. Not really wanting to get into it either, this is about saying thank you and goodbye
      I just feel he deserved better than he has had in recent months

Thank you skipper
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #85: Jan 02, 2015 09:58:37 am
      Would have liked it so him retire in the red shirt like Carra. This doesn't feel right.

Can only agree, the apparent neurosis with wage totals amongst the none-FSG executive impacts again.
      Why is Citeh extending the contract of Lampard at the age of 36?
      Citeh have the bank balance to retain an element of experience for the benefit of the club and the team, they prioritise for the long term.
      For some reason there is a reluctance amongst the various FSG companies to relinquish the H&G malady and promote and invest in the going concern that LFC represents, a commodity that has the potential to repay all the trust put in.

To dispense with the services of a club legend in such a way is only what we have come to expect form our multi-tiered, multi-titled company set up, having said that there is no F***ing way it is the way to go and I for one feel ashamed our captain who has been here since the age of 8 should be sh*t on from such heights.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #86: Jan 02, 2015 10:00:32 am
      Obviously sad to see him leave but maybe it's the best for him, todays modern society is full of ridiculous opinions, tweets and social media tw*ts and the amount of stick he's had off so called Reds over the last few months probably helped him decide.

Fair play Stevie and good luck in the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzHUU1kT4w

Now I'm out of this thread before it inevitably turns from a tribute thread to an annihilation of the club, the manager and the owners.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #87: Jan 02, 2015 10:02:02 am
      A very sad day for the club, his influence on the pitch may have waned but around the club it will be a massive hole to fill. Thanks for all the memories.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #88: Jan 02, 2015 10:05:30 am
      It will blew up in our faces this decision as the team has no leader whatsoever to get the players around him and so on. Those scapegoating him are deluded as Brendan fu**ed up big time by playing him in a position he hasnt played in 10 years and which requires alot of stamina and energy, you won't see Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes or Lampard deployed in such a demanding position. Sad that he goes in these conditions.

I have to say, I find the reaction to Stevie saying he's leaving to be very weird.  People are acting like someone died or something.  He is leaving; so what would have been the... opposite?  if he had signed a contract extension?  Well, he is past it.  He is slow.  He drifts in and out of games (and that's being kind).  Often times he is invisible.  He is a liability in midfield as he doesn't have the pace (even when he's well rested) to keep up with our speed in attack, and yet when he is sat further back in a holding position he doesn't have the pace to protect the back four and he gets blown by again and again during the game as if he isn't even there.

So the other possibility would have been for him to stay another few years, and play less and less while still earning exorbitant amounts of quid.  He's currently the highest earner at the club on £140,000 a week.  He wanted a raise on that.  He wanted to earn even MORE money, whilst showing that he is years past his best.  For comparison, Coutinho is on about £60K a week, Sterling is on £40K a week, and Markovic is on £35K a week.  So Stevie currently makes more than those three combined despite contributing less than any of them individually.  And he wanted a RAISE.  I'm really sorry but he doesn't deserve it.  Unless suddenly we are going to be handing out contracts for sentimental purposes.  "Sure, you won't contribute much, but you're a legend so here, have £150,000 quid a week, just for the hell of it."  That is the exact kind of financial suicide that nearly saw our club go under only a few years back.

So, Stevie is leaving the club.  It's his decision.  He contributes very little on the pitch and anyone who talks about us missing his "leadership" qualities probably only started watching us yesterday.  He is the quietest captain of anyone in the league.  And if you will say "he's the 'lead by example' type," well, his "example" has been piss poor for quite some time now, so that doesn't work either (not to mention the fact that the whole squad wanted him to speak up under H&G but he was too afraid and didn't want to rock the boat according to Carra). 

The constant pressure to fit him somewhere into the team despite his clearly being past it is going to be the death of us, look at Leicester, we had a nice setup against Swansea, but then Gerrard came back into the team, so that meant Manquillo got benched because Henderson had to play RB, it meant there was one less mobile player in midfield, and suddenly a dynamic team looks stuck in the mud---all because there is some rule written in stone that Stevie has to start.  it's ridiculous.

He is a legend and arguably the club's greatest ever player although I think Kenny pips him to that, just.  But the moaning and wailing about us not being able to replace him and this is a tragedy is way over the top.  If we're talking about the Gerrard of 2005, yes, it would be hard to replace him.  But the reality is we have been playing without that Gerrard for several years now.  So him leaving isn't going to change anything in that department.

Anyway.  Celebrate what he achieved at the club.  But don't cry yourself to sleep over what we are losing because whatever you think we are losing, I can't guarantee you we already lost it years ago.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #89: Jan 02, 2015 10:05:57 am
      Isn't Houllier at NY Red Bulls in some major capacity? He could go there. Especially with Henry leaving.

Hope not though. Tim Cahill (c**t) doesn't deserve to be playing alongside him.

Yeah, I too seem to recall from somewhere that the Chrimbo miser is at the Red Bulls. Can't see him going there though, they haven't won Jack. More likely off to Galaxy for that elusive League Winners medal.

I'd imagine the Mrs has told him LA too!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #90: Jan 02, 2015 10:11:13 am
      Was inevitable this day would come eventually, truly one of the greatest players to have ever worn the Liverpool Shirt, in his pomp he was easily one of the top ten players in world footballl and that's saying something when his career has coincided with the likes of Henry, Viera, Figo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Messi, Xavi etc.

Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #91: Jan 02, 2015 10:17:36 am
      can't believe that the day has come (tears comes to me  :f_wah:). It is sad day. I probably will not see better player in my life.

True hero for me as I started to support Liverpool two years before his debut and he is basically synonym for Liverpool in my eyes

I find it hard to accept he never won a league trophy. It is one of the biggest football injustice for me.

Thank you for everything and hopefully he will return home after playing career and claim what is rightfully his as functionary of a club.

YNWA Skipper

Quick Reply