Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59263 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #322: Jan 08, 2015 12:54:52 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #323: Jan 08, 2015 05:02:00 pm
      MsGerrard
      Reply #324: Jan 09, 2015 06:44:27 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYUbZem5KHg&feature=youtu.be

I'm still stunned....don't know what to say, probably won't sink in till the end of the season  >:( >:(
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #325: Jan 09, 2015 08:10:48 pm
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #326: Jan 13, 2015 09:34:26 am
      A Legend
      An Anfield Hero
      A true Captain

Thanks for the memories. He belongs to the pantheon together with Kenny, Rush and so many others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZjTZi8W2IA
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #327: Jan 13, 2015 12:45:37 pm
      It still feels like somebody has died doesn't it but I do feel the decision for Stevie to leave at the end of the season is the best for both club and player.

It will be a very sad but also a very happy moment when Brendan subs him in our final home game this season with a couple of minutes left with everybody on their feet applauding what a true legend he has been for us.

Best player to ever wear the shirt in my opinion. Carried us to two European cup finals in teams that weren't half as good as the ones Kenny, Souness etc played in.

Hope Steven and his family have a great time in America, wish them all the best.

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #328: Jan 13, 2015 02:50:12 pm
      Anfield has lost a big player and a legend.All the best captain fantastic.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #329: Jan 14, 2015 05:28:57 am
      At first I felt devastated and I didn't want to understand the situation. Things like he can't leave and play elsewhere came up in my mind. (Even if it is America)

Just wanted him to retire like Carra.

However he'll leave and his legend will stay with us forever!

Thanks for all the great memories!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #330: Jan 14, 2015 12:57:35 pm
      Not saying farewell and thank you just yet as there are more memories to come!
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #331: Jan 14, 2015 01:05:18 pm
      Not saying farewell and thank you just yet as there are more memories to come!

May 30th?? ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #332: Jan 14, 2015 11:18:36 pm
      Wonderful servant to this club but we've also been a wonderful servant to him. We've offered him more lucrative offers than most people have had hot dinners and we've allowed him to be the face of one of the most prestigious clubs in world football. Although he hasn't won the PL with us, at the mere age of 24, he lifted the European Cup - something not many 24 year olds can boast. His time here has been incredibly successful and he has a lot to be grateful for. The fans and supporters have supported him through thick and thin.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #333: Jan 15, 2015 06:24:06 am
      Wonderful servant to this club but we've also been a wonderful servant to him. We've offered him more lucrative offers than most people have had hot dinners and we've allowed him to be the face of one of the most prestigious clubs in world football. Although he hasn't won the PL with us, at the mere age of 24, he lifted the European Cup - something not many 24 year olds can boast. His time here has been incredibly successful and he has a lot to be grateful for. The fans and supporters have supported him through thick and thin.

Can't believe it has almost been 10 years since that Magical night in Istanbul. Feels like yesterday.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #334: Jan 15, 2015 07:34:50 am
      Despite the interview in the Echo I still can't understand why he's being allowed to go,
      The simple fact is he was NOT a good enough deal to keep him,

Or the club certainly didn't try hard enough for him to consider hangin around, for me this faffing around forced his hand,

He admitted himself, had he been offered a contract last summer he would have signed,

So, why wasn't he then ?

We're not talking here about a normal average joe , we're tailing about a player ranked the best this institution has ever had,
      But yet he has been treated no different from your average Joe,

Just tells you how JWH, Werner, FSG etc as a whole don't and never will get this club,

To treat your best ever like they have is a f***in disgrace in my eyes ,
      We all know what Stevie has done for us thru the years, but that doesn't seem to make any difference to those decision makers,

Stevie might have still decided to go, he might have decided that being a squad player wasn't his thing , but what irks me more is that FSG never tried hard enough to retain his services , they never offered him a deal which could have made him think more about it,

Is there a option for instance to come back on loan when MLS finishes, ?

I don't think we will know how much this is going to hurt until next season when we go through one of those sticky patches we tend to experience each year,

That's when we will find out who's going to step up , if anyone,
      Make no mistake, this is a major test for this club , perhaps as important as any on our history ,

Question is,

Do we have the players with the proper mindset to take us forward and to another level ?

Guess I'm missing our Captain already !

YNWA 

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #335: Jan 15, 2015 11:51:19 am
      Despite the interview in the Echo I still can't understand why he's being allowed to go,
      The simple fact is he was NOT a good enough deal to keep him,

Or the club certainly didn't try hard enough for him to consider hangin around, for me this faffing around forced his hand,

He admitted himself, had he been offered a contract last summer he would have signed,

So, why wasn't he then ?

We're not talking here about a normal average joe , we're tailing about a player ranked the best this institution has ever had,
      But yet he has been treated no different from your average Joe,

Just tells you how JWH, Werner, FSG etc as a whole don't and never will get this club,

To treat your best ever like they have is a f***in disgrace in my eyes ,
      We all know what Stevie has done for us thru the years, but that doesn't seem to make any difference to those decision makers,

Stevie might have still decided to go, he might have decided that being a squad player wasn't his thing , but what irks me more is that FSG never tried hard enough to retain his services , they never offered him a deal which could have made him think more about it,

I don't think we will know how much this is going to hurt until next season when we go through one of those sticky patches we tend to experience each year,

That's when we will find out who's going to step up , if anyone,
      Make no mistake, this is a major test for this club , perhaps as important as any on our history ,

Question is,

Do we have the players with the proper mindset to take us forward and to another level ?

Guess I'm missing our Captain already !

YNWA

If you were the manager, would you start Gerrard in every single game? I wouldn't.

Brendan has made it clear he won't either. Gerrard is a multi-millionaire coming towards the end of his career, do you think he is that bothered if he is offered 70k a week rather than 150k a week? At a club he loves and has spent his whole career? Money has got F**k all to do with it and more respect should be shown to Steven. I'd bet my house that if Brendan promised him a starting position every week then he would play for us for free.

Despite who he is, if you were the owner of Liverpool FC, would you offer a player 150K a week who doesn't even play in your team half the time? I wouldn't. And if you would, because he is a legend and all, at what point do you stop paying him 150k a week then?

We have said to him you can stay but we can't offer you the wages you were previously on because your game time will effectively be cut in half therefore your wages are also cut in half.

Gerrard has responded my game time? F**k that then im going.

He would have had many discussions with his family about it and I'm pretty sure the idea of living in America excites his wife and daughters.

Gerrard wanted to end his career at Anfield but he didn't want to finish as a squad player and that's fair enough.

We will miss him but the move is best for both player and club.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #336: Jan 15, 2015 12:19:28 pm

If you were the manager, would you start Gerrard in every single game? I wouldn't.

Brendan has made it clear he won't either. Gerrard is a multi-millionaire coming towards the end of his career, do you think he is that bothered if he is offered 70k a week rather than 150k a week? At a club he loves and has spent his whole career? Money has got F**k all to do with it and more respect should be shown to Steven. I'd bet my house that if Brendan promised him a starting position every week then he would play for us for free.

Despite who he is, if you were the owner of Liverpool FC, would you offer a player 150K a week who doesn't even play in your team half the time? I wouldn't. And if you would, because he is a legend and all, at what point do you stop paying him 150k a week then?

We have said to him you can stay but we can't offer you the wages you were previously on because your game time will effectively be cut in half therefore your wages are also cut in half.

He would have had many discussions with his family about it and I'm pretty sure the idea of living in America excites his wife and daughters.

Gerrard wanted to end his career at Anfield but he didn't want to finish as a squad player and that's fair enough.

Pretty much agree with all of this HTM.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #337: Jan 15, 2015 12:32:52 pm
      Pretty much agree with all of this HTM.

The thought of him doing a John Terry and taking his tracksuit off to jump in on team photos lifting trophies probably killed him! This one isn't about FSG for me.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #338: Jan 15, 2015 12:37:22 pm
      The thought of him doing a John Terry and taking his tracksuit off to jump in on team photos lifting trophies probably killed him! This one isn't about FSG for me.

Possibly.

I agree that I'd Brendan had guaranteed him a start it wouldn't have mattered when a contract was offered and for how much it was worth, within reason, and I think playing time is the key to the move.

Many of us criticised Brendan for playing him too much especially when form didnt warrant it so I think this is still the beat move for all parties.

Forgot this was the 'farewell' thread so shouldn't have posted this in here.

All the best Skipper!!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #339: Jan 15, 2015 06:44:41 pm

While I might agree with some of your post  you or no one else on here should assume their opinion is right , you quote figures as if you saw the deal you havnt and neither has anyone alse in here who offers thrir opinion because thats all it is  , as for whats right for the club and him how do you know that it is you dont have a crystal ball so its just your opinion nothing more nothing less , time will tell  what I know as fact is we would be in one less competition if it wssnt for him  and as for pointing out time and again that he  wasnt playing well  , no fcker else was either the difference being a few years back he would have dragged the team through , now with a few more miles on the clock its  cast him adrift we dont need him , well my freind only time will tell about that wont it .
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #340: Jan 15, 2015 09:17:17 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #341: Jan 15, 2015 09:26:38 pm

LMAO at Thommo's nose! Skrtel and Lucas look hilarious as well.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #342: Jan 16, 2015 08:27:01 am

I really don't understand this business about a loan.

if the club thought that Stevie was still an essential part of the team, the club would have made an offer, a big one, and done it early.

Look at Suarez for example---we knew how important he was and upped his salary less than a year after giving him his previous raise.  That's what you do for a player of his calibre.

Stevie is not of Suarez's calibre anymore.  He's not even an essential part of the first XI.  He's been poor more often than not this season.  in footballing terms, if this were any other player, we would have said "it's time to move on," and we would have done it last season even.

So.  He's not essential enough (in the club's eyes) to tie him down to a new contract.  So then let's move on.  Let's see what the future has for our club without Steven Gerrard.

The idea that we would let him go just to.... bring him back.... is patently absurd.  He is going to move on to a new phase in his life and a new phase in his career.  why can't we do the same?

I seriously don't get why the club is already talking about bringing him back on loan; if he was so important, why did we let him go?  and if he's not important, then why bring him back on loan?   "Stevie, we're not going to sign you to a new contract.  But do you think you could come back on loan from your new club?"  what?!

sort of like that stupid Thierry Henry loan Arsenal did a few years back.  what was the point of that?  he played a total of 4 league games for them.  Wow.  Amazing.

this is all so pathetic.  Just let him F***ing go.  And let's move on.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #343: Jan 16, 2015 10:50:49 am
      I guess they are hoping he will give absolutely everything in the few months he is back at the club. Doesn't seem right to me though all this loan business from the MLS. I guess other clubs will show an interest too where Gerrard is concerned. Think there should be laws against it, the Lampard loan in particular is really dodgy ground.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #344: Jan 17, 2015 12:52:39 am
      Don't know if anyone's posted this but it's pretty accurate about what a great player he was:

http://www.vice.com/read/the-rise-and-fall-of-steven-gerrard-692

Quick Reply