Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59276 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #345: Jan 17, 2015 08:21:48 am
      I really don't understand this business about a loan.

if the club thought that Stevie was still an essential part of the team, the club would have made an offer, a big one, and done it early.

Look at Suarez for example---we knew how important he was and upped his salary less than a year after giving him his previous raise.  That's what you do for a player of his calibre.

Stevie is not of Suarez's calibre anymore.  He's not even an essential part of the first XI.  He's been poor more often than not this season.  in footballing terms, if this were any other player, we would have said "it's time to move on," and we would have done it last season even.

So.  He's not essential enough (in the club's eyes) to tie him down to a new contract.  So then let's move on.  Let's see what the future has for our club without Steven Gerrard.

The idea that we would let him go just to.... bring him back.... is patently absurd.  He is going to move on to a new phase in his life and a new phase in his career.  why can't we do the same?

I seriously don't get why the club is already talking about bringing him back on loan; if he was so important, why did we let him go?  and if he's not important, then why bring him back on loan?   "Stevie, we're not going to sign you to a new contract.  But do you think you could come back on loan from your new club?"  what?!

sort of like that stupid Thierry Henry loan Arsenal did a few years back.  what was the point of that?  he played a total of 4 league games for them.  Wow.  Amazing.

this is all so pathetic.  Just let him F***ing go.  And let's move on.

This is the thank you & fare well thread,  not the 'look at how big an arsehole I can be thread'.  You have enough of those already.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #346: Jan 17, 2015 08:34:52 am
      I really don't understand this business about a loan.

if the club thought that Stevie was still an essential part of the team, the club would have made an offer, a big one, and done it early.

Look at Suarez for example---we knew how important he was and upped his salary less than a year after giving him his previous raise.  That's what you do for a player of his calibre.

Stevie is not of Suarez's calibre anymore.  He's not even an essential part of the first XI.  He's been poor more often than not this season.  in footballing terms, if this were any other player, we would have said "it's time to move on," and we would have done it last season even.

So.  He's not essential enough (in the club's eyes) to tie him down to a new contract.  So then let's move on.  Let's see what the future has for our club without Steven Gerrard.

The idea that we would let him go just to.... bring him back.... is patently absurd.  He is going to move on to a new phase in his life and a new phase in his career.  why can't we do the same?

I seriously don't get why the club is already talking about bringing him back on loan; if he was so important, why did we let him go?  and if he's not important, then why bring him back on loan?   "Stevie, we're not going to sign you to a new contract.  But do you think you could come back on loan from your new club?"  what?!

sort of like that stupid Thierry Henry loan Arsenal did a few years back.  what was the point of that?  he played a total of 4 league games for them.  Wow.  Amazing.

this is all so pathetic.  Just let him f**king go.  And let's move on.

Is this a f***in wind up ?

Your post is so. 'Absurd' I'm not wasting my time arguing the point except...

If you look at what Fat Frank gives to City it might just give you a idea why. !

YNWA
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #347: Jan 17, 2015 11:48:30 am
      Whilst I'm not too keen on the loan back thing, let's not pretend it isn't effective. Henry came back and scored the winner in the cup in his first game and if I'm not mistaken he also scored the winner in a league game with his last touch.

I don't think we should be too worried about him going elsewhere on a loan deal though, he'll probably sign with us again or just train with us.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #348: Jan 19, 2015 01:16:09 pm
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #349: Feb 05, 2015 07:31:25 pm
      He's keeping the number 8 at Galaxy, Echo just reported it, on the phone so can't post the link.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #350: Feb 05, 2015 09:06:29 pm
      He's keeping the number 8 at Galaxy, Echo just reported it, on the phone so can't post the link.

Makes sense. LA traded Marcelo Sarvas, who was wearing No. 8 there, a few weeks ago
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #351: Feb 05, 2015 09:21:07 pm
      Whatever we think, the issue now is we have to get used to playing without him. To prepare for that for next season, I think we'll see less and less of him this season.
      There's gonna be a lot of disappointed fans who go to see him play for the last time, only to find he has been benched or even dropped.
      Sad but its reality now.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      Reply #352: Feb 06, 2015 07:13:48 pm

Well there it is, selling them for only 204,99$.
      Looks better on red tho.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #353: Feb 06, 2015 07:25:39 pm

Looks better on red tho.

204.99? Fecking hell, that's £135!

He's good like but F***ing hell.

;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #354: Feb 06, 2015 07:41:52 pm

Looks better on red tho.

Beat me to it.

The $204.99 shirt is the long sleeve one, so makes it a little less ludicrous.

The word Authentic is interesting, I know that the NFL shirts are sold in 2 levels, match quality and replica, I think this may be the same.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      Reply #355: Feb 06, 2015 07:49:26 pm
      Beat me to it.

The $204.99 shirt is the long sleeve one, so makes it a little less ludicrous.
      Nah mate, still ludicrous to me.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #356: Feb 06, 2015 07:52:04 pm
      The word Authentic is interesting, I know that the NFL shirts are sold in 2 levels, match quality and replica, I think this may be the same.

Yep. MLS shirts are sold as "replica" (cheaper) and "authentic" (the ones the players wear). If I'm not mistaken, you can't get a name/number on a replica shirt, so you almost always have to shell out if you want a player on the back.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #357: Feb 06, 2015 07:52:11 pm

Oh yes, still ludicrous, just slightly less for those cold LA afternoons.
      « Last Edit: Feb 06, 2015 08:22:06 pm by RedPuppy »
      LFCexiled
      Reply #358: Feb 06, 2015 08:11:45 pm

In fairness you have to weigh up the fact that you get a short sleeve shirt and with the aid of a pair of scissors you also get sleeping bags for your two ferrets.

Yeah, madness.  :dunceblock:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #359: Feb 11, 2015 06:12:41 am
      We're gonna miss him taking our important penalties
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #360: Feb 11, 2015 06:45:43 am

I totally agree but I think we will be better without him next season. I love him to death and would done my best to keep him here but I think it's time for Gerrard to be on the bench and coming out as super-sub. He is past his best. Yesterday, he was chasing shadows.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #361: Feb 11, 2015 11:42:36 am
      He's basically there to raise the profile of the MLS and he will probably get some sort of shares in the club before he goes like beckham did maybe even go into businnes with golden balls. On the football pitch i think the only thing we will miss currently is his calmness in taking a critical pen and his essence. i dont think the team will be worse off on the pitch as i feel he's off the pace of the prem now with so many younger,faster,stronger players in the league these days.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #362: Feb 11, 2015 01:00:46 pm
      He's basically there to raise the profile of the MLS and he will probably get some sort of shares in the club before he goes like beckham did maybe even go into businnes with golden balls. On the football pitch i think the only thing we will miss currently is his calmness in taking a critical pen and his essence. i dont think the team will be worse off on the pitch as i feel he's off the pace of the prem now with so many younger,faster,stronger players in the league these days.

He's also going there because he will be the best player in the MLS. Its not just marketing for the MLS. Its really sh*te.

I'm sort of glad he is going. He is just good enough to keep playing for us this season, though he isn't really in our first XI, and if he stuck around season after season, getting worse and worse it would be horrible for both him and us if we grew to resent him playing.

As for pens, we have a few capable players in the squad. Just not Sturridge or Sterling XD
      Can is German so...
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #363: Feb 11, 2015 02:54:23 pm

We have Balo for this, he's one of the best penalty takers in the world, missed just 1 so far in his career, saved by Pepe Reina :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #364: Feb 11, 2015 03:30:36 pm
      He's also going there because he will be the best player in the MLS.

Guarantee you he won't be. Not in his current form. He'll be great, but best in the league? Nah.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #365: Feb 11, 2015 03:45:06 pm
      Guarantee you he won't be. Not in his current form. He'll be great, but best in the league? Nah.

"Quarterback"
      They'll love that.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #366: Feb 23, 2015 02:49:14 pm
      I feel sad to say this. I don't think he has a place in our squad at the moment. We are playing better without him.

He is a living legend but the team comes first for me.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #367: Feb 23, 2015 03:01:48 pm
      I feel sad to say this. I don't think he has a place in our squad at the moment. We are playing better without him.

He is a living legend but the team comes first for me.

The team always comes first, all we are supporting is the club and players come and go.. with varying levels of respect or support, I don't want to see the decline of this guy, I want to remember him in his prime.

Quick Reply