Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

James Milner (Manchester City) - SIGNED by LFC

Read 21811 times
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      James Milner (Manchester City) - SIGNED by LFC
      Jan 08, 2015 01:38:28 pm
      Rumour has it we're interested in James Milner.

He's so versatile, I'd be happy to have him, but must stress, he is not a priority there's no way I'd get him at the expense of a striker or a goalkeeper. Only get him if there are suffiecient funds for the other two. Loan deal would be ok too.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/30720603

Actual source is Times, but you need subscription for it.
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2015 02:15:19 pm by JD »
      liamos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Re: James Milner
      Reply #1: Jan 08, 2015 02:10:58 pm
      Not sure if he's a priority. Good player, also on high wages i'd assume. Unless he can play in goals or upfront, i'd pass on him  :)
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2: Jan 08, 2015 04:28:24 pm
      Vastly underated player in my eyes would be a great addition to the squad .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3: Jan 08, 2015 04:31:33 pm
      Vastly underated player in my eyes would be a great addition to the squad .

We have plenty of squad players thank you very much how about going for a level above James Milner?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #4: Jan 08, 2015 04:33:51 pm
      Wasn't this one for the summer?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5: Jan 08, 2015 04:34:08 pm
      This is one thing I feared about Stevie leaving. Now, don't get me wrong, Milner would actually be a pretty good addition to the squad; he's underrated. But I can't help but think the club will bring someone in like Milner and think we don't need a top class CM.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #6: Jan 08, 2015 05:14:34 pm
      Decent player on a free in the summer. Lets not hyperventilate about whether the club thinks he is Stevies replacement until after the summer window.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #7: Jan 08, 2015 05:48:55 pm
      This is one thing I feared about Stevie leaving. Now, don't get me wrong, Milner would actually be a pretty good addition to the squad; he's underrated. But I can't help but think the club will bring someone in like Milner and think we don't need a top class CM.
      With FFP on our back, stadium expansio etc, he might well be our Gerrard replacement /marquee player this summer.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,502 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Jan 08, 2015 09:16:54 pm
      Decent player. But we need a keeper and a striker (or two). Personally would not interested in filling any other position for now.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #9: Jan 08, 2015 09:28:23 pm
      Decent player. But we need a keeper and a striker (or two). Personally would not interested in filling any other position for now.

We're not linked to either a striker or a keeper though which is extremely worrying. City are buying Bony and they already have four strikers one who is world class. The scum have just signed a top keeper and they already have the best keeper in the league. While we seem to be content with our sh*t up front and between the sticks!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #10: Jan 08, 2015 09:52:33 pm
      We're not linked to either a striker or a keeper though which is extremely worrying. City are buying Bony and they already have four strikers one who is world class. The scum have just signed a top keeper and they already have the best keeper in the league. While we seem to be content with our sh*t up front and between the sticks!

It's not too difficult to consider FSG/NESV/Brendan Rodgers/Ian Ayre or whoever it concerns will not sign any players that compare with our supposed competitors.
      If whoever it concerns is consistent expect two average (hopefully) signings in January.
      Be F***ing made up to be proved wrong by the way.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #11: Jan 08, 2015 10:21:29 pm
      It's not too difficult to consider FSG/NESV/Brendan Rodgers/Ian Ayre or whoever it concerns will not sign any players that compare with our supposed competitors.
      If whoever it concerns is consistent expect two average (hopefully) signings in January.
      Be f**king made up to be proved wrong by the way.

We signed Sturridge and Coutinho in the same January window which was amazing business even if we didn't realise at the time. We need another couple of shrewd signings like those, badly!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,111 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Jan 08, 2015 10:32:15 pm
      We have plenty of squad players thank you very much how about going for a level above James Milner?

Would walk into our team he's a vital player to the champions squad player my arse

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #13: Jan 08, 2015 10:40:53 pm
      Would walk into our team he's a vital player to the champions squad player my arse

Oh yes the Milner types always look good when playing with World class players, a bit like a few of our players when Suarez was around.

He's a older version of Henderson who has a good engine and runs around a lot.

Has scored something like 8 goals in his PL career of 450 odd matches.

You know what your right he's exactly what we need!

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #14: Jan 08, 2015 11:01:07 pm
      We signed Sturridge and Coutinho in the same January window which was amazing business even if we didn't realise at the time. We need another couple of shrewd signings like those, badly!

That was an amazing piece of business as you say, the chances of it happening again are extremely slim. Isn't it about time somebody made a signing of an acknowledged game winner?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #15: Jan 09, 2015 01:26:56 am
      On the fence about this.

Proving his worth at City at the moment with his versatility hard to gage though if he has stepped it up prior to one last big pay day.

I remember we signed another English "Messi" at 29 years of age and that was a major cluster F**k.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #16: Jan 09, 2015 03:38:08 am
      Some thoughts:

He is 29 now and would be looking for his last big contract. So a minimum of 4 year contract.

If the reports are true , he is leaving to play consistently in his preferred position. That means if he is to come here, he will be coming as a key mid field player aka Gerrard replacement.

BR already admitted that the club is not able to attract big name players.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #17: Jan 09, 2015 08:16:06 am
      On the fence about this.

Proving his worth at City at the moment with his versatility hard to gage though if he has stepped it up prior to one last big pay day.

I remember we signed another English "Messi" at 29 years of age and that was a major cluster f**k.

It's not that the club can't attract big name players mate. The club won't/can't pay attractive enough wages. Any club can attract big name players if they can afford them.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #18: Jan 09, 2015 08:32:25 am
      It's not that the club can't attract big name players mate. The club won't/can't pay attractive enough wages. Any club can attract big name players if they can afford them.
      I think you are quoting me.

Anyways, its what BR said. The implication is what you said. No way BR gonna tell that we are being cheap in wages, hence we cannot attract these type of players.

That's what i said, we are investing on the stadium, most probably no CL revenue next season, we are under investigation for FFP,  so our budget for next summer will be very low.

Milner/Delph makes perfect sense here.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #19: Jan 09, 2015 08:53:52 am
      I agree re the wages.  If we offer enough players will come.  Do we have the wonga?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Jan 09, 2015 11:37:33 am
      Milner is the type of player you sign when you want somebody happy to be a squad player or workhorse in a team of superstars or egos.

Great if you have Aguero or Suarez lighting up the place.

Not really the player you need when you already have Henderson, Can, Allen, Lallana, and youth players like Teixeira, Canos, Rossiter & Chirivella.

Free transfer?
      Oh yes please.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,111 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Jan 09, 2015 01:26:43 pm

If it's a goal scorer you're after then ye better hope Sturridge gets fit quick or we sign someone. If you want a midfielder who is smart with the ball can play in the middle or wide and who has a good record of assists then there's nothing wrong about signing this fella
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #22: Jan 09, 2015 02:00:27 pm
      Milner is the type of player you sign when you want somebody happy to be a squad player or workhorse in a team of superstars or egos.Great if you have Aguero or Suarez lighting up the place.Not really the player you need when you already have Henderson, Can, Allen, Lallana, and youth players like Teixeira, Canos, Rossiter & Chirivella.Free transfer? Oh yes please.

I slightly disagree, he was doing very well at Villa too, he's the kind of player that would be a good addition because of versatility and his workmanship qualities. He'll never be a match winner or a game changer, but would be a good signing if, as you rightly say, we got him on a free.

But I'll repeat, clearly not a priority. I'm very worried that we haven't been linked with any top quality players so far.

Quick Reply